3 Perfect Post Workout Meals

AmericnMuscle

Banned
Awards
I'm not sure whether this was posted yet, but I came across this article on the Muscle & Fitness website. Just thought I'd share.

MUSHROOM CHICKEN PIZZA
1 Boboli Whole-Wheat Thin Pizza Crust
1⁄8 cup spaghetti sauce
1⁄4 cup grated fat-free mozzarella cheese
6 oz. cooked chicken breast, cubed or shredded
3 medium mushrooms, sliced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slice pizza crust into thirds and discard or save two pieces. Place remaining crust on a cookie sheet or other ovenproof pan and top with spaghetti sauce, cheese, chicken and mushrooms. Bake for 8—10 minutes or until heated through.

Nutrition Facts: 526 calories, 66 g protein, 52 g carbs, 8 g fat

TURKEY CHILI
1⁄2 lb. lean ground turkey breast (93% lean)
14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
1⁄2 cup tomato paste
1⁄2 cup water
1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Nonstick cooking spray Coat the bottom of a stockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Add turkey and brown over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to break into small pieces. When fully cooked, drain fat, stir in remaining ingredients and heat through.

Nutrition Facts: 642 calories, 70 g protein, 74 g carbs, 12 g fat

CHICKEN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
1 cup chopped fresh green beans, ends trimmed
12.5-oz. can chicken breast, drained
10.75-oz. can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
1⁄2 cup fat-free milk
Nonstick cooking spray

Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add green beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans soften. Stir in chicken, soup and milk, and heat through.

Nutrition Facts: 606 calories, 72 g protein, 37 g carbs, 14 g fat

UKStrength

Cheers for the recipes mate, they look well nice!

I usually go with a plain old chicken salad with porridge oats and whey combo, I'll have to give one of these a whirl!

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
None of these meals would be good right after a workout. PWO should only consist of whey protein and a sugar source (dextrose/malto, waxy maize).

Now, these meals would be fine on a bulk an hour or so AFTER your PWO meal.

Just clarifying! :D

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
None of these meals would be good right after a workout. PWO should only consist of whey protein and a sugar source (dextrose/malto, waxy maize).

Different strokes for different folks I reckon, not everyone wants that insulin spike right after their workout. There are some new articles that question the whole post-workout sugar surge.

AmericnMuscle

Banned
Awards

I appreciate you clarifying. I only copied and pasted the recipes, but should've included the rest of the article, which did state that you'd be prepping and cooking these meals an hour after your PWO shake.

UKStrength

Different strokes for different folks I reckon, not everyone wants that insulin spike right after their workout. There are some new articles that question the whole post-workout sugar surge.
I agree. Eating a source of (good bioavailability) protein with some source of carbohydrate (low or high GI) is more important than anything else.

Most guys on here have good pre and peri-workout nutrition anyway, in many ways this is the more important factor.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Very good recipes. I would certainly eat all of those pwo ( about an hour after)

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love big whole meals post-workout! Thanks for the recipes!

UKStrength

I love big whole meals post-workout! Thanks for the recipes!
Yeah can't beat it mate. Often I'll not bother with a shake post-workout if I'm training at home (e.g. boxing or circuits) and just have a full meal.

Much more satisfying and you get a greater boost in energy expenditure (from TEF) so more cals burnt during the day! Good for when you're cutting ;)

Breaker

Breaker

Awards
As most have stated, a protein shake immediately after workout is optimal. Usually that's not considered a "meal", it's a Post Work Out supplement. (Just to clarify).

I'll be making that chili tomorrow for my 1st "meal" following my workout. Good stuff man, thanks for these!

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I just made some turkey chili and frankly, it's pretty good. Quick and easy like Paris Hilton, yet tastes good.

Thanks for the idea.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established

all those recipes look damn good,,,,,,,,,,,esp the chili!!!

i use protein and oats, PWO...........

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
yep.

AmericnMuscle

Banned
Awards
You're all welcome for the recipes. Let me know how they turn out. I'm anxious to try them on my own.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
same here...but lately, ive been eating (2) Danon light-n-fit yogurts and then 40g milk protein isolate. Perfect amount of sugars and protein that has both slow digesting (whey) and longer digesting (casein)

im out

all those recipes look damn good,,,,,,,,,,,esp the chili!!!

i use protein and oats, PWO...........

AmericnMuscle

Banned
Awards
same here...but lately, ive been eating (2) Danon light-n-fit yogurts and then 40g milk protein isolate. Perfect amount of sugars and protein that has both slow digesting (whey) and longer digesting (casein)

im out
Sorry that these recipes don't seem appealing to you. Just figured it'd help since most of us here are needing to up our protein and caloric intake, including complex carbohydrates. I'm careful about what kind of yogurts I consume because I'm sure there is plenty of unnecessary sugar in most brands.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Sorry that these recipes don't seem appealing to you. Just figured it'd help since most of us here are needing to up our protein and caloric intake, including complex carbohydrates. I'm careful about what kind of yogurts I consume because I'm sure there is plenty of unnecessary sugar in most brands.
simple sugars would be best taken pwo, no?