Any ideas for some kick ass salmon?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I love salmon. I probably eat it 3-4 times a week but I can never find a way to cook it that I like it. It's always a little too raw or tough. Just wondering if anybody has some good methods for cooking salmon.

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
I love salmon. I probably eat it 3-4 times a week but I can never find a way to cook it that I like it. It's always a little too raw or tough. Just wondering if anybody has some good methods for cooking salmon.

Cajun Blackened on the grill. 350 degrees.

The skin side is alot more forgiving timewise, don't be afraid to leave it there for a bit. My salmon is always very cooked but fall off the fork tender.

Goes great with Marzetti's Dill Veggie Dip on the side.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm never one for eating plain/bland food. But I love grilled salmon as is, just thrown on a hot plate with a bit of olive oil. As long as the plate is really hot, the salmon goes crunchy on either side. I just had this for dinner tonight!

cord195148

cord195148

Awards
A couple of points:
Broil skin side up first, maybe four minutes if good sized filet. Then turn over for another two to three minutes. Test for doneness with fork.

After turning, brush with butter, then spread with small amount of minced garlic.
Also try pouring any flavor of marinade you like: Herb and garlic, ginger, teriyaki, jerk seasoning, etc.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
covered stove top, skin down. Black pepper, dill and lemon juice.

Mattcc22

Mattcc22

Awards
1.) On the stove top with McCormick Steakhouse Seasoning grinder, some garlic salt, and honey drizzeled on top as it cooks is amazing!

2.) I also like to bake it with honey and a mixture of crushed Ritz crackers and chopped pecans.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
If your grilling, cooking it on a cedar plank with potlatch seasoning is my favorite. If you are baking it, I like putting it in a parchment packet, adding spices, and a little butter, and baking it.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
If your grilling, cooking it on a cedar plank with potlatch seasoning is my favorite. If you are baking it, I like putting it in a parchment packet, adding spices, and a little butter, and baking it.
Cedar Plank kicks ass.

You could always sear it in a cast iron skillet with blackening season.

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
Several favs.

1. I like seared with a honey mustard sauce
2. Salted Salmon- a Finnish meal which is great.
Pickling salt, sugar, dill and two days in the fridge and you are done. I love this stuff, but then I grew up on it.

3. salmon burgers- 9-10 cans of salmon, 2 cups oats, 1.5 cups milk, 5 eggs, lemon pepper, dill...easy and awesome!!!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Cedar Plank Salmon or Smoked Salmon are my two favorites. Another good recipes is to make a salmon patty by shredding it up, adding peppers and onions, some light mayo, and some oat bran or bread crumbs. Throw that on a griddle and you will be pretty impressed.

Imeniaan

Awards
  • Established
Cajun Blackened on the grill. 350 degrees.

The skin side is alot more forgiving timewise, don't be afraid to leave it there for a bit. My salmon is always very cooked but fall off the fork tender.

Goes great with Marzetti's Dill Veggie Dip on the side.

Yes! I also always make it like this. :thumbsup:

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
How long do you bake it?

idelaluzi

Awards
marinate in soy vay's "veri veri teriyaki," then grill and serve with brown rice with some of the marinade over it. absolutely delicious.

Thanos

Thanos

Awards
Old Bay makes several good seasonings that you can sprinkle on when baking or grilling

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All those suggestions are great, and I've done almost all when I've had lots of time on my hands during the summer.

However as a student, I've had to find fast ways to do it. My favourite is to wrap a salmon fillet in aluminum foil with your spice of choice on top (Scandia Lemon Dill usually) , put in 400 F oven for 25 minutes and enjoy.

Doesn't compare to cedar planking it, but it tastes decent. Also I like roasting it on some red onions for extra flavour. Not trying to thread hi-jack with the picture, but it's the salmon on the right side of the plate (It is a Highliner Wild Pacific Salmon, 140g Fillet).

goped

Awards
try grilling it on a dual sided grill with salt free organic seasoning from costco then serve with with veggies that have ms dash original seasoning on them and enjoy!

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
I love salmon. I almost always cook it on a grill outside. I sear both sides for about a minute and a half then turn the grill down to medium-low and cook until flaky and tender. If there is skin, cook that side first...

Some marinade ideas:

Garlic and FF Italian Dressing

BBQ Maple (Sugar free BBQ sauce and sugar free maple)

Lemon Pepper

Terriyaki (low-sodium version)

Cajun (low-sodium)

Those are a list of my favorite salmon marinades. In fact, they're my favorite marinades for chicken as well...

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
i most certainly do - just came across this method and it works great. I put fresh salmon in one of those new microwave steamer bags that open up with a flat base and a ziplock on top. i put a couple of squirts of olive oil in it and add some seasoning. i like to use the grinders by mccormick that have different blends. you can also add raw vegables to cook with the fish and they add more steam to make it moist. cube potatoes, or cut cauliflower, or broccoli or try what ever you like. i usually cook on high for 6 mins and check to see the consistency of the meat. it never takes longer than 10 mins.

Baby Matty

Awards
To the OP:

If you really want perfect salmon every time no matter how you cook it, spend $5 next time you're at the grocery store and pick up a meat thermometer. Then find out by trial and error what the temp you like is. 145 F is cooked through and still juicy, though some like it more or less done.

This will also insure that all your meats come out exactly how you want them too as well. Hope you try this!

hadrion

Awards
I really like the cajun blackened salmon they sell at Trader Joe's. It's frozen, but it's very good.

michael021875

Awards
I know this might sound a little off the wall but I grill it and the I hit it with a little Jack Daniels grilling sauce...I love it!!!!

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
To the OP:

If you really want perfect salmon every time no matter how you cook it, spend $5 next time you're at the grocery store and pick up a meat thermometer. Then find out by trial and error what the temp you like is. 145 F is cooked through and still juicy, though some like it more or less done.

This will also insure that all your meats come out exactly how you want them too as well. Hope you try this!
That's a good idea! I only cook if right maybe half the time. It's either done too much or not cooked enough. Every salmon filet isn't the same thickness so it's tough.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i just fry it usually with butter, pepper, and garlic...usually that works for me.

Jono

Awards
I like to rub some oil on the skin side then rub salt and pepper into that and cook it skin down on a bit of olive oil until the skin is really crunchy and it starts cooking through the whole peice of fish, its awesome and damn tasty stays nice and tender