ever too late to become pro?

wanaBJacked

I use to be an amateur body builder few years back. I was 19, all natural because i was 19, 5'10 200lbs 8 percent body fat. I started getting serious about the possibility of competing and then decided to hell with age and I bought a cycle of testosterone enthate.

less than a week later, never took the test, I got in a real bad car accident. I have a chipped c5 and bulging c3 & c4.

Could've been a blessing in disguise by not doing anything under the age of 21 but who knows.

I was finally given the green light to start lifting moderately when I was 21. I've been working out for 2 years taken some weak PH's even though I should've waited until now but it is hard when you were 19 benching 300+ and then being 21 and barely doing 135.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone coming back after an injury similar to this and being successful in body building. I got a spinal injection a year ago for the pain and it's worked relatively well. My doc says since the cip is so small on my c5 my body will eventually get rid of it but if not, surgery will be a discussion. the chip is pinching a nerve causing most of my pain.

I've been lifting consistently for 2 years with the occasional pinched nerve being the only hiccup.

I just turned 23 last month and already feeling old lol, but anyone hear about anything similar to my story and at least be able to compete again. It's just been my dream since I was like 10 and got even more anxious when I wasn't able to set foot in the gym.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
I use to be an amateur body builder few years back. I was 19, all natural because i was 19, 5'10 200lbs 8 percent body fat. I started getting serious about the possibility of competing and then decided to hell with age and I bought a cycle of testosterone enthate.

less than a week later, never took the test, I got in a real bad car accident. I have a chipped c5 and bulging c3 & c4.

Could've been a blessing in disguise by not doing anything under the age of 21 but who knows.

I was finally given the green light to start lifting moderately when I was 21. I've been working out for 2 years taken some weak PH's even though I should've waited until now but it is hard when you were 19 benching 300+ and then being 21 and barely doing 135.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone coming back after an injury similar to this and being successful in body building. I got a spinal injection a year ago for the pain and it's worked relatively well. My doc says since the cip is so small on my c5 my body will eventually get rid of it but if not, surgery will be a discussion. the chip is pinching a nerve causing most of my pain.

I've been lifting consistently for 2 years with the occasional pinched nerve being the only hiccup.

I just turned 23 last month and already feeling old lol, but anyone hear about anything similar to my story and at least be able to compete again. It's just been my dream since I was like 10 and got even more anxious when I wasn't able to set foot in the gym.
theres a first for everything. get it.

never heard of anyone making it pro after anything like that but i know the pros have had injuries during their careers. i guess its just an easy way out for most people.

wanaBJacked

I'm never going to stop trying unless it's a guarantee i'll get injured. it is hard pushing weight just from the strain but with time it should subside. I'm just trying to get feedback.

mik14

mik14

Awards

Not that my mum was a body builder or anything but she did have a car accident and the docters told her she would never walk again or have kids, she couldnt move her legs and was in a wheel chair for 8 months, and she managed to have full movement and walk again like nothing ever happened and gave birth to my brother and i, im 28 and my bro is 38. So nothing is impossibly and good luck with it all!

wanaBJacked

That's a great story. I'm happy for your mom and your family, that's much worse than i'm going through and it's fantastic to hear someone overcome something of that magnitude.

my injury is nothing compared to that.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
As far as too late to become pro, it's never really too late. You can be successful in much of bodybuilding up to around 40, and after that there's still Masters comps too.

As for the injuries I know Frank Mcgrath was in a car accident and still rebounded, granted he was already a pro.

wanaBJacked

ya i'm just trying to be safe with it because I can't stand not lifting and i was stubborn at the beginning at re injured myself. problem is if you want to be a body builder you got to lift heavy ass weight and i can't push it too hard yet.
As far as too late to become pro, it's never really too late. You can be successful in much of bodybuilding up to around 40, and after that there's still Masters comps too.

As for the injuries I know Frank Mcgrath was in a car accident and still rebounded, granted he was already a pro.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
ya i'm just trying to be safe with it because I can't stand not lifting and i was stubborn at the beginning at re injured myself. problem is if you want to be a body builder you got to lift heavy ass weight and i can't push it too hard yet.
I guess the best you can do is whatever you can do right now. Maybe you have some areas you can push a hard still that aren't injured? If not just do what you can, something is always better than nothing. Also maybe consider higher volume workouts maybe if you can't lift as much weight.

wanaBJacked

Thanks for the advice man. I've been doing just that for a while now just trying to increase the volume. Just got to ease into the weight and know my limitations. it's beach season anyway but I much prefer being bulky than cut.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I encourage you to train, but not overly much to put your body at risk.
If you can slowly build up that physique again then great, if not at least you will be:
1) in shape
2) proud of yourself for making good gains, not looking like ****, and overcoming your injuries
3) you will still look better than ##% of the population -- probably a very high number.

wanaBJacked

that's what I've been doing. Just reaching a point where if I want to grow I got to start lifting a little heavier. just got to take baby steps and I'll be alright. I'll never stop trying. thanks for all the support yall.
I encourage you to train, but not overly much to put your body at risk.
If you can slowly build up that physique again then great, if not at least you will be:
1) in shape
2) proud of yourself for making good gains, not looking like ****, and overcoming your injuries
3) you will still look better than ##% of the population -- probably a very high number.

Drizzie88

Drizzie88

Awards
  • Established

Flew Wheeler was in a huge car wreck in 1994. Nearly ended his career. He came back and dominated (minus winning an Olympia).

Colbicide

Colbicide

Awards
  • Established
Never too late.

evodrag

Awards
Glad your doing well. thats most important. i think in you case its gotta be the mind muscle connection. theres the branch Warren style of lifting and the Jay Cutller approach. Jay doesnt go too heavy but is still huge. that may have to be you. But going pro means tons of gear. I spoke with someone who was trying for his pro card for years. He was saying people on his amatuer level where running tons of gear for life. He said going pro is all about having good receptors to uptake a lot of gear. Its depressing to me to think its not just about hard work, good nutrition and a little bit of gear.

wanaBJacked

Ya I've talked to a few of my friends who are trying to eran their pro card and their approach is lifting heavy but they know guys who have just perfected the form and know how to create a lot of tension with the lower weight. I'm just working my way there slowly which is ok.
Glad your doing well. thats most important. i think in you case its gotta be the mind muscle connection. theres the branch Warren style of lifting and the Jay Cutller approach. Jay doesnt go too heavy but is still huge. that may have to be you. But going pro means tons of gear. I spoke with someone who was trying for his pro card for years. He was saying people on his amatuer level where running tons of gear for life. He said going pro is all about having good receptors to uptake a lot of gear. Its depressing to me to think its not just about hard work, good nutrition and a little bit of gear.

16dawg23

16dawg23

Awards
keep up the come back bro,it can be done. i work around 3 bad discs and other back issuses, it makes legs kinda hard but ive seen big inprovements all the time,i thought id be on the bench by now. this is a great sport and much more than geting big comes out of it. work smart and know the limits and the gains will show up....i want to "hey now" to all the members here, im the new guy. looks like a kool place might stick around 4 awhile...thx.........best to ya bro.

willc86

Awards
never say it cant be done. If no one has never done it before, then great, you will be the first. So go at it. I had plenty of obstacles with my problems, digestive system, and others and I am no pro, but I will try to get into amateur as the first step; just to prove, it can be done.