Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

What is Beta-Alanine?

Beta-alanine is a naturally occurring amino-acid in the human body that has been clinically proven to increase exercise performance and muscular endurance. Beta-Alanine is a nearly tasteless powder that easily dissolves and mixes in water. At the maximum recommended dose, a bottle of beta-alanine will last 31 days.

Beta-alanine allows the muscles to work more. This can lead to increased performance and improved body composition by allowing muscles to work at a higher volume, if you push them too.

How exactly does Beta-Alanine work?

If you are familiar with intense exercise, then you are familiar with the intense “burn” that accompanies the final reps of any given exercise. This burn is from the increased muscular acidity from the burning of ATP and glucose for energy. (2) As the muscles become more acidic they lose their ability to contract, they seize up, and the exercise comes to a halt.

Beta-alanine works by allowing the muscles to work harder and longer. Scientifically speaking, beta-alanine improves the intramyocellular buffer capacity by neutralizing the muscular acidity from lactic acid and hydrogen ions (H+) built up during intense exercise.

Research has established that beta-alanine works best at enhancing explosive “fast twitch” exercise performance during high intensity training, so be ready to push the envelope if you want to see the benefits of beta-alanine. (1-3) If your exercise program is lacking, or if you train like a wimp, then beta-alanine won’t help you.

How does Beta-Alanine buffer lactic acid? Is this safe?

Beta-alanine is known to increase carnosine concentrations in muscle tissue, and carnosine is known to act as a natural proton buffer in muscle tissue -- thus preventing intramyocellular acidosis. (1-3) Beta-alanine supplementation also appears to be the most efficient way to boost carnosine levels in muscle. In fact, oral supplementation of beta-alanine at 3.2 to 6.4gm/day has been shown increase carnosine concentration in human muscle tissue by 60-80%. (9,10)

There is evidence that persistent and long-term exposure to exercise may naturally increase carnosine concentrations in muscle, thus explaining why professional bodybuilders and elite level athletes maintain higher carnosine concentrations. (1) Therefore, increasing carnosine concentration in muscle tissue could be considered part of a natural adaptation or augmentation to resistance exercise.

How much can Beta-Alanine improve my performance?

Here is a brief review of several human studies on beta-alanine -

In 2008, researchers examined 30 days of beta-alanine supplementation (4.8 gm per day) on resistance exercise performance in eight resistance-trained men. (4) Their resistance exercise protocol consisted of 6 sets of 12 repetitions of the squat exercise at 70% of their one-repetition maximum (1-RM) with 1.5 minutes of rest between each set.

After 4 weeks, the beta-alanine group was able to perform 22% more total repetitions.

In another study, beta-alanine was given to trained sprinters for 4 weeks (2.4-3.6 gm per day). (12) In the beta-alanine group, knee extension power was significantly increased in each of the five bouts of 30 maximal contractions, whereas, in the placebo group, only the first two bouts were improved.

In a study performed on elderly individuals aging from 55-92 years, beta-alanine was supplemented at 2.4 gm per day. (13) After 90 days, physical working capacity was increased an astounding 28.6% in the beta-alanine group, while no change was found in the placebo group.

How does Beta-Alanine make Creatine & BCAA’s work better?

Yes, it appears that beta-alanine can enhance creatine’s ability to reduce body fat and build muscle in combination with resistance training. (7) Essentially, beta-alanine makes creatine work better.

This synergy was discovered by researchers in 2006, when 33 male subjects were randomly assigned to either a placebo, creatine, or creatine + beta-alanine group. After 10 weeks of weight training, the placebo group improved an average of 10lbs on bench press and squat strength, whereas both creatine and creatine + beta-alanine groups improved their average bench press by 25lbs and their squat strength by 55lbs. However, only the creatine + beta-alanine group had improvement in body composition [simultaneous muscle growth and fat reduction].

When beta-alanine was combined with BCAA’s it was found to reduce post workout muscle soreness from exercise, thus suggesting that beta-alanine and BCAA’s may have synergistic effects on enhancing muscle recovery. (8)

Note: Until further research is done, it’s unclear whether or not beta-alanine and creatine have synergistic effects on increasing muscular endurance when used together(5-6).

Does Beta-Alanine have any side effects?

Beta-alanine has been shown to be safe and effective for long-term use when used at the recommended dose. (3-8)

In some individuals, beta-alanine may cause a harmless “niacin-like” skin flush where the skin may become tingly and/or red for 15-20 minutes after consumption. (11) This symptom can be eliminated by spreading out each serving throughout the day, and/or consuming a serving of beta-alanine over a 60-90 minute period.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1.6gm (1 serving scoop)
Servings Per Container 187
Amount Per Serving %DV
----------------------------------------
Beta-Alanine 1.6gm*
--------------------------------------
*Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients:

none.

Buy it, Here - Beta Alanine

References –

1. The effects of 10 weeks of resistance training combined with beta-alanine supplementation on whole body strength, force production, muscular endurance and body composition.
Kendrick IP, et al.
Amino Acids. 2008 May;34(4):547-54. Epub 2008 Jan 4.

2. Muscle metabolism during intense, heavy-resistance exercise.
PA Tesch, et al.
Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol, Jan 1986; 55(4): 362-6.

3. Influence of beta-alanine supplementation on skeletal muscle carnosine concentrations and high intensity cycling capacity.
Hill CA, et al.
Amino Acids (Vienna) 32: 225–233, 2007.

4. beta-Alanine and the Hormonal Response to Exercise.
J Hoffman, et al.
Int J Sports Med, December 1, 2008; 29(12): 952-8.

5. Effects of 28 days of beta-alanine and creatine monohydrate supplementation on aerobic power, ventilatory and lactate thresholds, and time to exhaustion.
RF Zoeller, et al.
Amino Acids, Sep 2007; 33(3): 505-10.

6. Effects of twenty-eight days of beta-alanine and creatine monohydrate supplementation on the physical working capacity at neuromuscular fatigue threshold.
Stout JR, et al.
J Strength Cond Res. 2006 Nov;20(4):928-31.

7. Effect of creatine and beta-alanine supplementation on performance and endocrine responses in strength/power athletes.
J Hoffman, et al.
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, August 1, 2006; 16(4): 430-46.

8. Attenuation of eccentric exercise-induced delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), muscle damage and oxidative stress by β-alanine (βA) and branched-chain amino acids (BCAA)
Masaru Furukawa, et al.
FASEB J, Mar 2008; 22: 685.1.

9. The absorption of orally supplied beta-alanine and its effect on muscle carnosine synthesis in human vastus lateralis.
Harris RC, et al.
Amino Acids (Vienna) 30: 279–289, 2006.

10. Influence of beta-alanine supplementation on skeletal muscle carnosine concentrations and high intensity cycling capacity.
Hill CA, et al.

11. The plasma concentration-time profile of beta-alanine using a controlled-release formulation (Carnosyn®)
Roger C Harris, et al.
FASEB J, Mar 2008; 22: 701.9.

12. -Alanine supplementation augments muscle carnosine content and attenuates fatigue during repeated isokinetic contraction bouts in trained sprinters.
Wim Derave, et al.
J Appl Physiol, Nov 2007; 103: 1736 - 1743.

13. The effect of beta-alanine supplementation on neuromuscular fatigue in elderly (55-92 Years): a double-blind randomized study.
JR Stout, et a.
J Int Soc Sports Nutr, Jan 2008; 5: 21​

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I've noticed the tendency for PP to use trademarked forms of ingredients that usually convey a greater oversight in production. But Ajinomoto does not product beta-alanine so I was wondering who was the producer for your beta-alanine.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

What is Beta-Alanine?

Beta-alanine is a naturally occurring amino-acid in the human body that has been clinically proven to increase exercise performance and muscular endurance. Beta-Alanine is a nearly tasteless powder that easily dissolves and mixes in water. At the maximum recommended dose, a bottle of beta-alanine will last 31 days.

Beta-alanine allows the muscles to work more. This can lead to increased performance and improved body composition by allowing muscles to work at a higher volume, if you push them too.

How exactly does Beta-Alanine work?

If you are familiar with intense exercise, then you are familiar with the intense “burn” that accompanies the final reps of any given exercise. This burn is from the increased muscular acidity from the burning of ATP and glucose for energy. (2) As the muscles become more acidic they lose their ability to contract, they seize up, and the exercise comes to a halt.

Beta-alanine works by allowing the muscles to work harder and longer. Scientifically speaking, beta-alanine improves the intramyocellular buffer capacity by neutralizing the muscular acidity from lactic acid and hydrogen ions (H+) built up during intense exercise.

Research has established that beta-alanine works best at enhancing explosive “fast twitch” exercise performance during high intensity training, so be ready to push the envelope if you want to see the benefits of beta-alanine. (1-3) If your exercise program is lacking, or if you train like a wimp, then beta-alanine won’t help you.

How does Beta-Alanine buffer lactic acid? Is this safe?

Beta-alanine is known to increase carnosine concentrations in muscle tissue, and carnosine is known to act as a natural proton buffer in muscle tissue -- thus preventing intramyocellular acidosis. (1-3) Beta-alanine supplementation also appears to be the most efficient way to boost carnosine levels in muscle. In fact, oral supplementation of beta-alanine at 3.2 to 6.4gm/day has been shown increase carnosine concentration in human muscle tissue by 60-80%. (9,10)

There is evidence that persistent and long-term exposure to exercise may naturally increase carnosine concentrations in muscle, thus explaining why professional bodybuilders and elite level athletes maintain higher carnosine concentrations. (1) Therefore, increasing carnosine concentration in muscle tissue could be considered part of a natural adaptation or augmentation to resistance exercise.

How much can Beta-Alanine improve my performance?

Here is a brief review of several human studies on beta-alanine -

In 2008, researchers examined 30 days of beta-alanine supplementation (4.8 gm per day) on resistance exercise performance in eight resistance-trained men. (4) Their resistance exercise protocol consisted of 6 sets of 12 repetitions of the squat exercise at 70% of their one-repetition maximum (1-RM) with 1.5 minutes of rest between each set.

After 4 weeks, the beta-alanine group was able to perform 22% more total repetitions.

In another study, beta-alanine was given to trained sprinters for 4 weeks (2.4-3.6 gm per day). (12) In the beta-alanine group, knee extension power was significantly increased in each of the five bouts of 30 maximal contractions, whereas, in the placebo group, only the first two bouts were improved.

In a study performed on elderly individuals aging from 55-92 years, beta-alanine was supplemented at 2.4 gm per day. (13) After 90 days, physical working capacity was increased an astounding 28.6% in the beta-alanine group, while no change was found in the placebo group.

How does Beta-Alanine make Creatine & BCAA’s work better?

Yes, it appears that beta-alanine can enhance creatine’s ability to reduce body fat and build muscle in combination with resistance training. (7) Essentially, beta-alanine makes creatine work better.

This synergy was discovered by researchers in 2006, when 33 male subjects were randomly assigned to either a placebo, creatine, or creatine + beta-alanine group. After 10 weeks of weight training, the placebo group improved an average of 10lbs on bench press and squat strength, whereas both creatine and creatine + beta-alanine groups improved their average bench press by 25lbs and their squat strength by 55lbs. However, only the creatine + beta-alanine group had improvement in body composition [simultaneous muscle growth and fat reduction].

When beta-alanine was combined with BCAA’s it was found to reduce post workout muscle soreness from exercise, thus suggesting that beta-alanine and BCAA’s may have synergistic effects on enhancing muscle recovery. (8)

Note: Until further research is done, it’s unclear whether or not beta-alanine and creatine have synergistic effects on increasing muscular endurance when used together(5-6).

Does Beta-Alanine have any side effects?

Beta-alanine has been shown to be safe and effective for long-term use when used at the recommended dose. (3-8)

In some individuals, beta-alanine may cause a harmless “niacin-like” skin flush where the skin may become tingly and/or red for 15-20 minutes after consumption. (11) This symptom can be eliminated by spreading out each serving throughout the day, and/or consuming a serving of beta-alanine over a 60-90 minute period.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1.6gm (1 serving scoop)
Servings Per Container 187
Amount Per Serving %DV
----------------------------------------
Beta-Alanine 1.6gm*
--------------------------------------
*Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients:

none.

Buy it, Here - Beta Alanine

References –

1. The effects of 10 weeks of resistance training combined with beta-alanine supplementation on whole body strength, force production, muscular endurance and body composition.
Kendrick IP, et al.
Amino Acids. 2008 May;34(4):547-54. Epub 2008 Jan 4.

2. Muscle metabolism during intense, heavy-resistance exercise.
PA Tesch, et al.
Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol, Jan 1986; 55(4): 362-6.

3. Influence of beta-alanine supplementation on skeletal muscle carnosine concentrations and high intensity cycling capacity.
Hill CA, et al.

4. beta-Alanine and the Hormonal Response to Exercise.
J Hoffman, et al.
Int J Sports Med, December 1, 2008; 29(12): 952-8.

5. Effects of 28 days of beta-alanine and creatine monohydrate supplementation on aerobic power, ventilatory and lactate thresholds, and time to exhaustion.
RF Zoeller, et al.
Amino Acids, Sep 2007; 33(3): 505-10.

6. Effects of twenty-eight days of beta-alanine and creatine monohydrate supplementation on the physical working capacity at neuromuscular fatigue threshold.
Stout JR, et al.
J Strength Cond Res. 2006 Nov;20(4):928-31.

7. Effect of creatine and beta-alanine supplementation on performance and endocrine responses in strength/power athletes.
J Hoffman, et al.
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, August 1, 2006; 16(4): 430-46.

8. Attenuation of eccentric exercise-induced delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), muscle damage and oxidative stress by β-alanine (βA) and branched-chain amino acids (BCAA)
Masaru Furukawa, et al.
FASEB J, Mar 2008; 22: 685.1.

9. The absorption of orally supplied beta-alanine and its effect on muscle carnosine synthesis in human vastus lateralis.
Harris RC, et al.
Amino Acids (Vienna) 30: 279–289, 2006.

10. Influence of beta-alanine supplementation on skeletal muscle carnosine concentrations and high intensity cycling capacity.
Hill CA, et al.

11. The plasma concentration-time profile of beta-alanine using a controlled-release formulation (Carnosyn®)
Roger C Harris, et al.
FASEB J, Mar 2008; 22: 701.9.

12. -Alanine supplementation augments muscle carnosine content and attenuates fatigue during repeated isokinetic contraction bouts in trained sprinters.
Wim Derave, et al.
J Appl Physiol, Nov 2007; 103: 1736 - 1743.

13. The effect of beta-alanine supplementation on neuromuscular fatigue in elderly (55-92 Years): a double-blind randomized study.
JR Stout, et a.
J Int Soc Sports Nutr, Jan 2008; 5: 21​

GREAT ANY DISCOUNT CODE!

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
next time someone asks whats Beta-alanine we could simply just link this to them. Most simplest, greatest, explanation, ever!

Jorsn

Awards
  • Established
Just ordered some of this along with bcaa's, creapure and maximum absorbed protein. I've never used beta alanine so i'm pretty excited to try this stuff out.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
Nice. I just ordered a 300gm tub today along with the IBCAA's and the Creapure.

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
Nice. I just ordered a 300gm tub today along with the IBCAA's and the Creapure.
NICE! Just remember don't take 5g of BA at once, trust me! Cause it'll hit you with an uber hardcore tingly feeling and that gets annoying after 20 minutes.

Jorsn

Awards
  • Established
NICE! Just remember don't take 5g of BA at once, trust me! Cause it'll hit you with an uber hardcore tingly feeling and that gets annoying after 20 minutes.
Is it best to spread the dosing out throughout the day? Like 2g's morning, 2g's pre and 2g's post?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is it best to spread the dosing out throughout the day? Like 2g's morning, 2g's pre and 2g's post?
That's what I would suggest, yes.

I like the BA "tingle", though. :afro:

-John

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I'm familiar with the tingle...the only time it really bothers me is on a hot summer day, it kind of feels like i have hungry insects crawling in my skin...thats kind of nasty.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm familiar with the tingle...the only time it really bothers me is on a hot summer day, it kind of feels like i have hungry insects crawling in my skin...thats kind of nasty.
I get the tingle the most on Mondays and Thursdays (after my days off), always hits me hard.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm I wanna try some of this stuff...its cheap to lol

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya it's a really good price, I have used BA in the past with good results so I need to hit this up too.

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
Listen to John :yup: he knows what his talking about. I kinda love the whole rush of the tingly feeling so I take 5g of it 3 times a day and now that I take APS Mesomorph that's an extra 4g on top of it. That's A LOT of BA in one day though!

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Ya it's a really good price, I have used BA in the past with good results so I need to hit this up too.
Ya i just bought some :) excited to try it out gonna start up creatine again with it also

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds good bud Let us know how you like it.:)

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are my favorite heroes using Beta Alanine? That would explain some things...

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are my favorite heroes using Beta Alanine? That would explain some things...
Well we all know that I am your hero Ryan, and I havn't workedout without beta alanine for quite some time. The nice thing about the bulk is even when I am using a preworkout formula, such as premax, anadraulic state gt or n2kts, I can easily add in some more beta alanine for increased performance.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sweet^^^I guess the spammers love this thread fro some reason, lol. Beta-Alanine and porn stars, hmmm...:smileysex5:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Sweet^^^I guess the spammers love this thread fro some reason, lol. Beta-Alanine and porn stars, hmmm...:smileysex5:
It's the amino american-tickler. :thumbsup: They can't get enough of the tingle.