Rate My Bench

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
Got bored and decided to post this

Id like to see how i compare to some of u serious lifters on here. Right now im 179 and my max 1 rep bench press is 305. My all-time max is 335 at i 188lbs back in hs.

Is that a decent bench for my weightclass?

\_JIMBO_/

\_JIMBO_/

Awards
Yea that seems pretty Good!

I'm 210 and rep 315 for around 6, Not too sure what my max is latly though

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
Yea that seems pretty Good!

I'm 210 and rep 315 for around 6, Not too sure what my max is latly though
yeah i normally dont worry about 1 rep maxes but every month or so i like to see where im at so i'll do one.

meb019

Banned
Awards
for your weight class thats a very respectable weight to bench. i never max out tho. i just dont see the point in it. i always bench to get between 6-10 solid work reps. i can bench 225 for 4, 5 consecutive sets getting about 8 reps each set. the most ive done is 300 for about 2, the last one assisted. but i like to work down and go up till im actually getting those heavy weights for good work sets.

BigB29

BigB29

Awards

Id like to see how i compare to some of u serious lifters on here. Right now im 179 and my max 1 rep bench press is 305. My all-time max is 335 at i 188lbs back in hs.

How tall are you? Large differance in muscle mass from a 5' 179lber and someone 6'+, not to mention the differance in the ROM needed to complete a press, but even without considering height 305@179 is definetly solid lifting.

Keep up the good work!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
for your weight class thats a very respectable weight to bench. i never max out tho. i just dont see the point in it.
Without a point of data for your 1x maximal work load your "working weight" does correlates to a percentile of your maximum work load. It is ideal to know in my opinion, to determine progress, as well as to calculate working loads that can be structured to provide periodization, progessive overload, and deter adaptation. I want to be "in the zone" with whatever phase of periodization and overlaod I am working in.

But then again, that may just be me. I spread sheet all my workouts and keep journal to assure I am always progressing in whatever phase of training I am in.

JMHO

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
Without a point of data for your 1x maximal work load your "working weight" does correlates to a percentile of your maximum work load. It is ideal to know in my opinion, to determine progress, as well as to calculate working loads that can be structured to provide periodization, progessive overload, and deter adaptation. I want to be "in the zone" with whatever phase of periodization and overlaod I am working in.

But then again, that may just be me. I spread sheet all my workouts and keep journal to assure I am always progressing in whatever phase of training I am in.

JMHO

thats why i max out every month or so. I like to see my progress and base a lot of my sets and reps on what i can press for 1 solid rep. I dont just do it to say i can bench 300.

meb019

Banned
Awards
thats why i max out every month or so. I like to see my progress and base a lot of my sets and reps on what i can press for 1 solid rep. I dont just do it to say i can bench 300.
haha oh neither do i. whenever someone asks me what my bench is i tell them the most i can do for a good working set of 4 reps or so.

i see the logic in basing work sets off of your max. i just never actually incorporate the max as a working set cuz i feel it just burns energy that i could better spend on lowering the weight slightly to get more reps. i can bench 275 for 4 reps, so i know that my max has to be somewhere around 295. so i just focus on getting 275 or lower weights to work back up to 295.

i dont know if that makes sense to anyone, but thats just how i do it.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
When I'm bulking I also spreadsheet my progress. I use a max lift chart i found on the internet to calculate max weights based on a 4 rep max. Then i tune my workout towards increasing it. Once i get a max weight i tailor my program on a one month basis. working my way up to a new max. it works well on a bulk with a slight calorie surplus. On a cut, forget it..I get what I get based on alot of factors. its pretty easy to increase the weights 10 to 20 lbs a month though when I'm on this program. The last time i did it (about a month ago) My bench went from 320 for 1 to 350. But that was over 2 months. I'm not much of a bencher per se however. The 320 was at a personal weight of 205 and the 350 was at a weight of 220. I'm also 5'8" and a bit stubby so rather unimpressive overall. When I was around 175 my max was 280 (Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in HS) so your weights you're pushing are pretty dam good. If you want to stay away plateau's you should start to consider a program designed to get around them.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i see the logic in basing work sets off of your max. i just never actually incorporate the max as a working set cuz i feel it just burns energy that i could better spend on lowering the weight slightly to get more reps.
Not part of a workout or even more than every 8-12 weeks. Without data you are just shooting in the dark, which, yes, can be effective for many who have room to grow. But when you get to your natural limits of growth you need to be smarter than the weight in order to grow. I rather not go on guess work with my time and effort. Most people likely go by feel. Just because you feel like you are making progress doesn't mean you are. I have seen many many people working there ass of in the gym...getting nowhere. But they look good and are having fun.

Periodization, progressive overload, avoiding adaptation.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I'm bulking I also spreadsheet my progress. I use a max lift chart i found on the internet to calculate max weights based on a 4 rep max. Then i tune my workout towards increasing it. Once i get a max weight i tailor my program on a one month basis. working my way up to a new max.

If you want to stay away plateau's you should start to consider a program designed to get around them.
:thumbsup:

PLAN YOUR WORK. WORK YOUR PLAN.

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
:thumbsup:

PLAN YOUR WORK. WORK YOUR PLAN.
Thats what i try to do. When i was in hs we had a program called "bigger, faster, stronger" We entered our 5,3,1 rep maxes and it would create workouts for an 8 week cycle. each week would be diff number of sets and reps so we would always change it up. Thats what i try to do every now and than, but the 5x5 is my fav....atleast for bench press.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
Thats what i try to do every now and than, but the 5x5 is my fav....atleast for bench press.
From personal experience the 5x5 does more harm than good for me. Though initially I increase the poundage. i find that I plateau very quickly then its harder to get back to sets of 8 to 10 reps and I end up dropping to less than weight than I was doing previously. Only to find I have to work my way back up to where I was initally before the 5x5 regime. The fatigue factor kicks in big time and when i jump to sets of 8 to 12 my muscles can't take it and I'm left feeling flat. IMO don't overdo the 5x5. It can get you in trouble later.

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
From personal experience the 5x5 does more harm than good for me. Though initially I increase the poundage. i find that I plateau very quickly then its harder to get back to sets of 8 to 10 reps and I end up dropping to less than weight than I was doing previously. Only to find I have to work my way back up to where I was initally before the 5x5 regime. The fatigue factor kicks in big time and when i jump to sets of 8 to 12 my muscles can't take it and I'm left feeling flat. IMO don't overdo the 5x5. It can get you in trouble later.
yeah i agree with you on that. I notice that when i try to do a bench workout of say 12,8,10 its much harder and i do get tired quickly. Lately ive been doing 6-8 reps and dropping the weight about 5lbs per set which isnt too bad and im cutting right now also so i know my strength will drop a little.

App-arition

App-arition

Awards
305 at 179 is not a bad lift at all, especailly for someone who doesn't really train as a PLer

bobby32

Awards
yeah i normally dont worry about 1 rep maxes but every month or so i like to see where im at so i'll do one.
You nnormally don't worry about them but you do them once a month? What the hell does that mean? That's more often than most people. HAHA.

BigBenchKinc

Awards
Good bench, is your form good? I would not suggest maxing out every month, just set PR's on reps with certain weights. Post a video of you lifting

WODYN

WODYN

Awards
Many of top lifters do maxes only.. during the competitions

My present training cycle needs checking 1RM every 23-25 days, but Iget 9 days off after that, and 3 workouts with lighter weights(55/75/90%) before new record attempt

BigBenchKinc

Awards

Sounds like a good bench, but reaaly need to see video or do it in a sanctioned powerlifting meet.

BigBenchKinc

Awards
Thats freekin hilarious to me....nobody else? oh..... sorry...must be from Missouri
Your 305 pound bench press, while only weighing 179 lbs, looks good on paper. If you truly wanted your bench critiqued, you should have posted a video for forum members to look at your form, etc... I personally would not say what I benched unless it was done at a sanctioned powerlifting meet (raw or equipped).

Vicarious, sorry my last post was not good enough for you. I should have used spell check and took my time, not all of us have time to make a spreadsheet for our workouts and find max charts on the internet.:whip:

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
oh calm done...just an odd post suggesting that no bench is legit unless its in a sanctioned lifing competition...no offense (see i spelt lifting worng...i could care less about spelling ya see)

WODYN

WODYN

Awards
author is not applying to get a medal for lifting here, so why don't we treat that as .... a question and nothing more...

but of course not always welcome on busy forums... :woohoo:

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
a guy i use to work out with weighed about 155 and could put up 375. he was a beast to say the least.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established

JMHO
Good B-50. Anybody know a site where you can write in your number of reps and weight lifted and it will give you your 1 rep max? I had a site on another computer that I no longer have and miss it. Thanks!