Noob Exercise Question: Nausea while working out

Calium

Awards
Hi,

(If you just want to skip to my actual question, jump to the third paragraph!)

I'm 25 years old, about 6'1 and 185 lbs. Been working out off-and-on for about five years but never had the discipline to stick it out more than a month or two. I have a solid build, very broad shoulders, no belly, but I could stand to lose 20 lbs and gain some definition. I saw pictures of my father (I've never met him) and was surprised to know he was a bodybuilder. I got kind of inspired.

Over the past month, I've been working out at my school's gym. I normally do three repetitions of half of the machines in the gym, then, I follow up by doing the same to the other half of the machines after I recover later in the week. I am a novice so this approach is probably crappy. In any case, I have lost a few lbs and my biceps and upper torso area *seem* to be bigger than before.

My problem is that everytime I work out, I experience severe nausea and cramping. There have been times where I had to stop working out and run to the ****ter! (I know, TMI, right?). I've even found myself having to vomit a few times. While I am not on any steroids (I plan to eventually), I sometimes use Diet Fuel (Twin Labs) before working out. I get the nausea regardless of whether I take Diet Fuel or not.

I did a search on the Internet and really couldn't come up with any theories on why this was happening. So I decided to slow down my workout to just doing less reps. That eased the nausea somewhat but I left feeling I didn't even get a workout afterwards.

Has anyone ever experienced nausea or dizziness after (or during) a workout? If so, what did you do to relieve it?

Thanks for reading.

- Cal

P.S. How do you measure whether your previous day's workout was a success. If you're sore the next day does that mean the previous day's workout was good? Or bad? Neither?

donk

Awards
There are quite a few things that can cause you too feel that way while lifting. Holding your breath, low blood sugar, not drinking enough fluids and so on.

Sounds to me like you need to find someone to help you put a routine together and go over your dietary habits.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I didnt not really catch your exact routine but if I got it right you do 3 sets on 1/2 the achines in the gym then a few days later do 3 sets on the other half? I dont know how many machines you have but if its a significant amount you may be over training. If you just started off and you try to do as much as you can in a given workout you may overstress your body too quickly and that could be causing the nausia in the gym.

Second to overtraining my guess would be that the problem lies in your diet/nutrition (namely water intake.) Ill venture to guess your not monitoring your food intake (which isnt the end of the world and can be easily adjusted to help fit your goals) but this could be a very strong factor.

Lastly are you doing any non machine exercies (like bw or heavy coumpound movements such as squating or anything) that could potentialy be stressing your body out too much?

And on your last point sourness is not a indcator of a whether or not a workout was successful. Sure you can be sore and everything but the determining factor of a good workout is the next time your in the gym and the weghts are easier or you can judge by the mirror.

**EDIT** on the question of personal nausiea. I have only once gotten sick at the gym and was because of a some what heavy high rep squat set. Its normal for individuals (alot of guys on here probably have gotten sick from some heavy ass lifts or just giving it there absolute all into finishing a set) and its not neccessarily bad but from the sounds of what your experiencing their could be an underlying problem or just something that has to be fixed.

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
Over the past month, I've been working out at my school's gym. I normally do three repetitions of half of the machines in the gym, then, I follow up by doing the same to the other half of the machines after I recover later in the week. I am a novice so this approach is probably crappy. In any case, I have lost a few lbs and my biceps and upper torso area *seem* to be bigger than before.
You need to get on some kind of "split" routine.
I would suggest something like this:

4 day routine

1) Chest/Triceps
2) Back/Biceps
3) Legs
4) Shoulders/traps/abs

Don't do any more than 20 sets per workout, and don't workout more than an hour.
You are probably getting nauseated from overtraining.