Need a new belt, badly...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so I figured I'd post this here since all you guys throw around more weight then me and I need some advice on a good belt. I threw my back out again (pretty badly) doing squats for the 3rd time in the past 6 months...and its not my form...

405lbs, down and up twice and on the third, because my belt slipped, i had to drop it off my back...oh well, minus having some trouble walking, everything else is okay....

So basically if any of you guys have a chance could you drop me some links for online stores to get a good belt and what exactly I should be looking at (i.e. brands and styles)???

Thanks in advance.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
http://www.inzernet.com/search_results_belts.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=8&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1

the lever belts are incredible. i have a 13mm but for those that have both don't really notice a difference between the 10mm and the 13mm. plus, the 10mm will break in faster than the 13mm. mine has been used for about 6 months now and it still looks brand new. you want a tight belt? then this is the one you want.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yessir. the lever belt is so tight, much more support just ain't possible IMO, tapered or not.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i agree with beelze, i used to have a 2 prong cheapo and i cant get it nearly as tight as that lever. the lever will get tighter than anything you can imagine. plus when you are done doing a heavy set it's off in a second. too many times i got stuck in my old belt and had to sit down because i was goign to pass out.

and pumpingiron. what kind of posterior and ab work do you do? that might be your problem there

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I have a 2 prong now but I think I will spring for the lever reading this. I haven't used my belt on squat in a long time though, I use to get this pinch feeling at one point when I went heavy. I am just starting to get back to some decent weights now and I haven't used a belt at all but have no discomfort either. I want to try and use my belt again but kinda scared that pinch feeling would come back, wonder if the lever belt will help.
Also, Guyfromkop2, I'm from the philly area and saw in one of your posts you goto a hardcore gym right outside of philly. It wouldn't happen to be greg long's place, would it?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
no i go to iron sport gym in glenolden(down by the airport) where's greg long's place?

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
somewhere in bensalem, my buddy goes there all the time and he has a ton of stories about these hardcore guys in there 50-60's still putting up crazy weights. I know about that place in glenolden though, One of my friends from HS used to go there back in the late 90's but I think he is in the army now.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
somewhere in bensalem, my buddy goes there all the time and he has a ton of stories about these hardcore guys in there 50-60's still putting up crazy weights. I know about that place in glenolden though, One of my friends from HS used to go there back in the late 90's but I think he is in the army now.
bensalem is a hike for me, i'm in king of prussia where are you

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
bensalem is a hike for me, i'm in king of prussia where are you
King of prussia huh. I jsut moved from Media, but I should be back out in the MainLine sometime next year. You drive all the way to IronSport.???..I know a few guys that lift there...I would ahve joined that gym had i known about it before i joined the LA Fitness over in springfield...

Small world...

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
http://www.inzernet.com/search_results_belts.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=8&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1

the lever belts are incredible. i have a 13mm but for those that have both don't really notice a difference between the 10mm and the 13mm. plus, the 10mm will break in faster than the 13mm. mine has been used for about 6 months now and it still looks brand new. you want a tight belt? then this is the one you want.

The Lever is the Bomb! I would spend the extra cash and get the 13mm though, I tried a 10mm and it flexed way to much for me. The Inzer is very plyable horizontally out of the box, so even with the 13mm you don't need to break it in. I can't believe I fought with prongs for so many years, if you have the cash they have a new ratcheting belt that is super cool! Talk about tight!
If you threw your back out, I would avoid the belt as much as possible though, and concentrate more on good mornings as you come back. The belt is a great help but should not be relyed on. jmho
Titan/Inzer/Elitefitness are a couple places

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I second what Basso said, the belt should be used for help but not relied on. I am squating over 300 now without a belt but have a feeling I might need to use it soon but I am still scared. Like I said, Years ago I was on a set with 360 or something and my belt was nice and tight. When I got to the bottom of my squat, I felt a pinching/burning sensation on my left side somewhere on my lower abs below where the belt was. It would always come back with my belt on when I was going heavy after that. I never figured out what it was so now I am scared to death to squat with a belt again. I know its not a hernia or anything, anyone have any input on what it might be? I haven't had the pain recently but I just got back to heavy squats after 2 or so years and I am not using a belt at all right now.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
your core might not of been up to par. what posterior and ab work do you do?

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I would warmup with hypers and crunchs before every workout.. Deads on monday, good mornings on wed's and I do some sort of abs every workout. I will usually hit heavy abs once a week. It is a bill starr basic workout, modified slightly. It wasn't a pain directly in my abs per say though, its hard to describe, sharp sting/burn when it would hit. My core is definitly stronger now then from two years ago. This could be attributed to me not using a belt on aything. so you may be right, still scared to put that belt on and really try to push my weights unless I can figure out what was really going on.

Here is a log of what I have been recently doing:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/43079-fyi-superdrol-cycle-log.html

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ok, i just looked at your log and i dont know how you did that superdrol, it was hell on earth for me. now onto your training. if you are going to be doing a powerlifting type routine you have to hammer that core(i was told this by a guy who pulls over 800 and squats over 900). and from what i saw you really dont do any core exercises. by core i mean posterior(sldl, pull thrus, ghrs, gms which you do, 45 hypers, reverse hypers, etc) and weighted ab work(standing cable abs, decline crunches with a db behind your head, etc) that's basically your base. you do some gms but that's about it. once your done your deads(which you should rotate variations each week) do 2 posterior exercsizes, one high reps and one low reps, for instance do ghrs or gms 2 x 5 pull thrus or 45 hypers w/ weight 2 x 15-20, then go onto abs(this will help with your back being on fire by this point), standing cables or something 2x20. on squat day do 1 heavy one, beelze loves his sldls so do them 2x8 or gms 2x8 HEAVY, and then do abs like weighted declines 2 x 6-8. your core is your base, if that's not up to par you're just going to hurt yourself when you squat heavy or pull heavy. that might be why you get that pinching. a bigger core = bigger lifts, plain and simple.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost:

I was thinking about adding a core day into my routine...thats some good advice to start with in the planning...Thanks KOP.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Remember you thanked him when your back is a burning mess of hell on earth. ;)

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I would warmup with hypers and crunchs before every workout.. Deads on monday, good mornings on wed's and I do some sort of abs every workout. I will usually hit heavy abs once a week. It is a bill starr basic workout, modified slightly. It wasn't a pain directly in my abs per say though, its hard to describe, sharp sting/burn when it would hit. My core is definitly stronger now then from two years ago. This could be attributed to me not using a belt on aything. so you may be right, still scared to put that belt on and really try to push my weights unless I can figure out what was really going on.

Here is a log of what I have been recently doing:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/43079-fyi-superdrol-cycle-log.html
If it's a sharp pain at the bottom of the squat, it may just be pinching. I've had some pretty nasty bruises, it all depends on how much fat I'm carrying, there are certain points were the belt will pinch. It feels almost like a nerve pinch, I thought I had a hernia even went to the doc to get it checked out.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
ok, i just looked at your log and i dont know how you did that superdrol, it was hell on earth for me. now onto your training. if you are going to be doing a powerlifting type routine you have to hammer that core(i was told this by a guy who pulls over 800 and squats over 900). and from what i saw you really dont do any core exercises. by core i mean posterior(sldl, pull thrus, ghrs, gms which you do, 45 hypers, reverse hypers, etc) and weighted ab work(standing cable abs, decline crunches with a db behind your head, etc) that's basically your base. you do some gms but that's about it. once your done your deads(which you should rotate variations each week) do 2 posterior exercsizes, one high reps and one low reps, for instance do ghrs or gms 2 x 5 pull thrus or 45 hypers w/ weight 2 x 15-20, then go onto abs(this will help with your back being on fire by this point), standing cables or something 2x20. on squat day do 1 heavy one, beelze loves his sldls so do them 2x8 or gms 2x8 HEAVY, and then do abs like weighted declines 2 x 6-8. your core is your base, if that's not up to par you're just going to hurt yourself when you squat heavy or pull heavy. that might be why you get that pinching. a bigger core = bigger lifts, plain and simple.
:goodpost:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i do love me some SLDL's :D

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
If it's a sharp pain at the bottom of the squat, it may just be pinching. I've had some pretty nasty bruises, it all depends on how much fat I'm carrying, there are certain points were the belt will pinch. It feels almost like a nerve pinch, I thought I had a hernia even went to the doc to get it checked out.
That's exactly what it felt like and it was always at the bottom of the squat. I must have pinched it once and it hurt from then on. I was probably around 18% at the time it happened. So I guess I can go back to my belt if needed with no worry. I am gonna get one of those new lever ones anyway plus my old one is pretty beat up.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Bump just cuz thread starter is my boy and its a great thread. i need a belt myself and doing my research !

also how do you fit it. for exp the inzer belts come in sizes

large 34-38
xlarge 39-42

i wear size 34 pants for most part
suit pants are 36
measuring my waiste on bellybutton itself is 38 YIKES.

so what size do i need.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
nyc...I'd go with the large...

I stopped using my inzer lever. I've been doing squats raw recently...until my new escapade with my back.

Amazing belt...I got the thinner one, going against beelze's advice.

I'm actually about to order a new double pronged belt from EFS or inzer, for moderate weight squats and deads...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I also was thinking about getting one of these lever belts. My waist falls right at 33 which is a medium, will this be enough or should I go with a large ? I'm not sure on how they fit exactly.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
I also was thinking about getting one of these lever belts. My waist falls right at 33 which is a medium, will this be enough or should I go with a large ? I'm not sure on how they fit exactly.
well this is a big purchase something i know i dont wanna outgrow or have to big. keep in mind your gonna be wearing underwear and or shorts or pants as well or shirt that might be under the belt giving you some extra snug fit. so maybe add an inch maybe.

im afraid of the wrong size too since i have no belts to try on for comparison. maybe ill hitup a local crappy place to get a belt try it on and use that for size fitting.

gluck

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
the good thing about the lever belt is its tightness. You should only have a shirt underneath the belt, btw. So unless you're planning on getting a bigger stomach, the exact measurement around your waist at the naval is the belt you should buy.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
the good thing about the lever belt is its tightness. You should only have a shirt underneath the belt, btw. So unless you're planning on getting a bigger stomach, the exact measurement around your waist at the naval is the belt you should buy.
the only lever belt i can find is inzersz

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I'm actually about to order a new double pronged belt from EFS or inzer, for moderate weight squats and deads...
EFS has a sale right on belts.. why double prong? That **** is hard to get out of.. :D

i have both a power belt and a prime cut from EFS... I like both.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
i love my 13mm lever belt!

efs or inzer are good sources for quality belts.

don't skimp on a belt. i bought a 1/2" thick leather Powerlifting belt off ebay for a spare for people "no ones ever had a problem with these belts". Total crap, in comparison to a good belt.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
i gots me a 13mm lever black belt. its hawt.

got me a dip belt coming.

got me some knee wraps.

O MAN IM RDY TO MAX OUT SUCKAZ.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Dip belts are amazing. probably my favorite purchase as far as weightlifting goes.

I have a 10mm Black Inzer lever and am going to order a EFS Training belt or power belt on friday (single prong, okay Ubi?)...

and some new straps to replace the one's i lost that replaced the ones i broke...

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
meh... you know what you're doing.. i just wanted to know why you wanted double prong. Perhaps because you are gluttonous. :) I just remember them kind of being a b1tch to cinch up, and after a hard set, get out of.. one would slide out, and you'd have to do a very gassed pull-apart to get the last one.

I actually might get the 10mm lever just for a 3rd and final belt.

The only problem... my wife will flip if another package comes to the door... :D

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I figured the double prong was just more stable. but from your reaction and some light reading, inzer and efs reviews, i changed my mind.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I only ran into the pull-apart problem if I had the sh1t REALLY tight for the set... but I'd imagine you'd be going for a tight belt...

Tell me how you like the 10mm lever..

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
You can get it tighter than any other belt...it's ridiculous. The confidence I have in that belt is ungodly. My bones will break before the belt slips.

I can't really compare it to the 13mm, although it's supposed to be a little more comfortable.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
im scared of my 13mm belt now. stop scaring me.. cant wait to post pictures of it on holding 5lb dbs

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure guyfromkop uses the 13mm. I could be wrong though.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I just found 13mm harder to conform to my body, break in... I use my red EFS 10mm prime cut for home stuff, and take the Black EFS 13mm Powerbelt to Gold's... but it's nicely broken in now. I'm going to order the 10mm lever just to have that option when i actually do go heavy... not really going heavy just yet.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
I just found 13mm harder to conform to my body, break in... I use my red EFS 10mm prime cut for home stuff, and take the Black EFS 13mm Powerbelt to Gold's... but it's nicely broken in now. I'm going to order the 10mm lever just to have that option when i actually do go heavy... not really going heavy just yet.
I'm pretty sure guyfromkop uses the 13mm. I could be wrong though.

ights

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
nyc, listen to the guys that use them all the time.. as I've said I've only recently broken my belts in.. and I love them.. but i am far from the authority on PL belts. ;)

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have a double prong inzer belt. I wish I would of went with a single prong because its a pain to get on. Actually I would look into the new ratchet belt.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
13mm...listen to buki

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Ok so a 13mm(wider) belt and my waist is 33 so a large will work ? (im still cutting so it'll taper down a bit lower).

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Ok so a 13mm(wider) belt and my waist is 33 so a large will work ? (im still cutting so it'll taper down a bit lower).
depends on the company and the belt dude

for ex inzer belts
normal 13mm med = 33-35
13mm lever = 30-33

so checkout the sites do some reading and pray you choose the right size hehe. otherwise sell at gym :p

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Yup...if you're not planning on gaining anymore weight and you are 33inches, get the smaller belt, like nyc listed.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
titan has a competition lever belt as well, they look pretty much the same.

edit: my comp froze so missed some of the convo, my bad. Anyone go for the ratchet belt yet? looks interesting.

Buki, how do you feel as far as adjusting the lever belt?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
ALl you need is a philips head screw driver...