Nutrition and powerlifting

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
So nutrition is important all the time but just for curiosity sake. Is it more beneficial to say get all ur nutrition needs the day before a workout which for me is also an off day, or is it more important the day of?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's important all the time; I'm not sure I understand the premise of the question. Why would you have to choose a day to eat for your goals?

Personally, the only difference for me between off day and training day is intra-workout nutrition. My supplementation and eating around my sessions adds ~75g carbs and about 80g protein. That's the only difference for me.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Maybe he is wondering in terms of carb cycling cause I was wondering the same thing, if u ate fats no carbs the day before you worked out in the am would that hinder your performance

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe he is wondering in terms of carb cycling cause I was wondering the same thing, if u ate fats no carbs the day before you worked out in the am would that hinder your performance
Try it.

Honestly, IMHO, the presence and makeup of peri-workout nutrition trumps what you ate the day before.

Which goes back to my original premise; choose your peri well, eat whatever you want the rest of the time.

I've used tons of protocols depending on goals; CKD, TKD, carb cycling, carb nite, CBL. I've trained fed, fasted, early AM, late PM. I can tell you that, for me, the most consistently important component for recovery & strength has been peri nutrition.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I agree with u completely just typically my Preworkout meal consists of what I would normally eat for that day but I have noticed no different in gym performance since I started carb cycling only thing is on fat days I get tired earlier in the day

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I keto diet and it's amazing
Currently cutting body fat. Eating no more than 1000-1500kcal a day
4 day CMS Sheiko training is a breeze still

When I am in meet prep, I'll start lean and increase calories to 4000-5000kcal a day and I do not get fatter at all, just really strong

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like to look at my eating in relation to my workouts. Since I workout in the AM that means my largest carb meals are the night before and right after I lift (along with some during).

I should note I train quite frequently and my low carb days aren't very low carb. :eek: