Chains

Devo42

Devo42

Awards
So I've seen here as there in muscle and fitness magazines as well as fitness movies lifters incorporating chains in their workout I'm jus curious if it would benifit me to incorporate chains in my work and any resource in how to use them the right way in my lift that way I'm not that guy in the gym carrying 20 feet of chains around my neck but totally neglecting the proper way to get the full affects of them any advice would be appreciated

jwood10

Awards
chains help out for the lockout. when you have the chains at lockout you have 100% chain weight, at the bottom 0%, so as you are in the lift it picks the links up and adds the weight. im recovering from a back injury due to squatting, so ive been squatting with chains so im holding heavy weight up top and light at the bottom. each strand of chain at my house weighs 20 lb. so today my squat went 245x1 chain each side, 245x2 chains, 245x3 chains, 245x4 chains, and 245x5 chains. i did sets of 5, and the last weight totalled 445 lb at the top (100 lb of chain each side). im a strong believer in incorporating bands and chains into ones strength routine. good luck.

gymguy21

Awards
chains help out for the lockout. when you have the chains at lockout you have 100% chain weight, at the bottom 0%, so as you are in the lift it picks the links up and adds the weight. im recovering from a back injury due to squatting, so ive been squatting with chains so im holding heavy weight up top and light at the bottom. each strand of chain at my house weighs 20 lb. so today my squat went 245x1 chain each side, 245x2 chains, 245x3 chains, 245x4 chains, and 245x5 chains. i did sets of 5, and the last weight totalled 445 lb at the top (100 lb of chain each side). im a strong believer in incorporating bands and chains into ones strength routine. good luck.
Still good weights here, even if you are recovering.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
chains are great, my gym got some a few months back....started using them in just normal movements like squats....i'm not a powerlifter but for bodybuilding purproses the chians are greatly underused, watch ben pakulski or jon meadows to get some really fun ideas on different uses of the chains

gymguy21

Awards
chains are great, my gym got some a few months back....started using them in just normal movements like squats....i'm not a powerlifter but for bodybuilding purproses the chians are greatly underused, watch ben pakulski or jon meadows to get some really fun ideas on different uses of the chains
Yeah my gym has them as well and I don't think anyone knows how to use them. So I'll use them and people just look at me weird and ask questions all the time

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah my gym has them as well and I don't think anyone knows how to use them. So I'll use them and people just look at me weird and ask questions all the time
haha i love carrying the chains around the gym and getting all kinds of funny looks, then ppl see what i'm doing and ask to try a set real quick

i just hate the noise of the chains...i try not to be one of those guys who cause a bunch of noise like dropping deadlifts from waist high and stuff

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use or incorporate them into certain workouts for accommodating resistance. ie if you are using them for bar speed work a lot of times the bar weight is reasonable and the lockouts are easier. The chains or bands add more resistance as you get nearer the top/L/O and slow down some of the momentum.
They also teach you to keep increasing the speed or push/pull force, (sometimes we tend to slow or back off a tad especially doing reps, after we hit our transition zone and it gets a bit easier. They ingrain into your push or pull to keep hitting it with as much force, as they keep loading heavier as they come off the floor.
Reverse bands stuff works well for this too, as it is along the sames lines, but a different feel, when you get the full bar load.

gymguy21

Awards
haha i love carrying the chains around the gym and getting all kinds of funny looks, then ppl see what i'm doing and ask to try a set real quick

i just hate the noise of the chains...i try not to be one of those guys who cause a bunch of noise like dropping deadlifts from waist high and stuff
Yeah I get the looks too but I just blow them off bcuz the guys that know what they are for just nod and know what's up

gymguy21

Awards
I use or incorporate them into certain workouts for accommodating resistance. ie if you are using them for bar speed work a lot of times the bar weight is reasonable and the lockouts are easier. The chains or bands add more resistance as you get nearer the top/L/O and slow down some of the momentum.
They also teach you to keep increasing the speed or push/pull force, (sometimes we tend to slow or back off a tad especially doing reps, after we hit our transition zone and it gets a bit easier. They ingrain into your push or pull to keep hitting it with as much force, as they keep loading heavier as they come off the floor.
Reverse bands stuff works well for this too, as it is along the sames lines, but a different feel, when you get the full bar load.
I've never done reverse bench or squats but I also dont have a set of long bands either. Just the short set. I was blown away at how much tension the small set has.

power205

power205

NLA Performance Athlete
Awards
Love using chains.. So helps with getting ready to handled bigger weight at lockout!! Just cycle them in so you dont over train!

Team POWER & inTENsity is Fueled by NLA and Geared by APT Pro Gear

"Choice of Champions"

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Love using chains.. So helps with getting ready to handled bigger weight at lockout!! Just cycle them in so you dont over train!
Yeah depending on loads and how one is incorporating them, they can beat you up a bit, especially on max or heavy work. Cycling that intensity, especially more often or at first, is a good idea. I may only use them at ends of cycles (maybe the last 4 weeks)
Using them for lighter speed work (maybe only 50%-55% bar weight) throughout a cycle is fun too, and you don't get hammered as bad.

I collected and bought old tow chains etc., because it is amazing, how expensive heavy chain can be especially after you get up past 3/8" 1/2" and bigger.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the vast majority of people, using chains should be done simply for variety and not as integral portion of a training template. Most simply do not have the technical proficiency to get much out of them let alone know the proper ways to implement them into either DE and/or ME.

gymguy21

Awards

Team POWER & inTENsity is Fueled by NLA and Geared by APT Pro Gear

"Choice of Champions"
Yeah I love them as well and I just like the ability to change it up and use chains or bands.

gymguy21

Awards
For the vast majority of people, using chains should be done simply for variety and not as integral portion of a training template. Most simply do not have the technical proficiency to get much out of them let alone know the proper ways to implement them into either DE and/or ME.
Second this, most guys I see with them are usually just asking their buddy what they are for or why they are in the gym

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I think Rodja makes a good point, in that if you are using them for regular body training and an adjunct or adding them in for a new twist or whatever it may be, fine.
But PL'ers use them to get stronger and will use them to get the extra level of strength, that may give them an edge. Geared lifters can use them since some of the suits/shirts will take up some load from the bottom, and they need to get stronger thru the better leverages of the ROM.
Squatting and chain work might be one of the tougher to learn, as I use them mainly in pulling/deadlift work, from either the floor or deficits.
From the early days of Arthur Jones, and I am not sure if they were implemented much at Culver City WSB with Frenn and West, but I know Louie et al. seem to make them popular.
That all said, I don't read too much into them and keep it simple, but I am a raw lifter also and don't even use a belt much.
Experimenting with them might not hurt, (I mean even Lou had to start somewhere) and if one is actually interested in utilizing them more in power training, there are some good articles and routines you can find now and coaching with this kind of advanced training is probably worth it if one is really serious about competing on a higher level.
That all said, believe me you can get plenty strong without them, as there were plenty of PL'ers in the 60's 70's and even 80's that never used any of these training techniques. Heisey back in the late 70's pulled over #900 with basic training. Don't neglect simple basic training first and foremost and put the most effort into a handful of regular exercises. Effort and hard work will have you reach nearest your ultimate potential. Not supplements or the newest gadgets or fads. They may give you #20-#40 on top of your lifts, but if you are looking to go from #225x10 to #405x5 in the squat, you gotta put in hard work, focus, effort and determination on a basic routine regularly.