Legacyfighter: Time to Break Some Powerlifting Records

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Legacyfighter: Time to Break Some Powerlifting Records


    Just over a year ago I was getting ready for my first powerlifting competition. At the time I was about 185 with a 500 ATG squat 380 bench, and 500 deadlifts. I needed 5 more pounds to break the Raw Natural record in my weight class... Then I broke my arm, my thumb, and several bones in my face. I've been working my way back up, but have had some setbacks along the way. Now, I'm completely healthy and should have enough time to really go after this goal.

    Current stats:
    Weight: 190
    Squat: 315x6
    Bench: 265x6
    Deadlifts: 425x1

    Now I understand that these numbers are a long way off from any records, but I'm expecting these numbers to go back up rather quick. I've got a plan of attack to reach my goals, and this log will document that plan. I should be able to post videos along the way so I can get some tips on form and corrective exercises.

    Todays Workout:

    Bench: 225x5, 245x5, 265x5
    CG Bench: 225x5,5,5
    Military: 95x10,10,10,10,10
    Band JM Press: 65x8, 45x12, 55x10

    For the last few weeks, my bench seems to be going down. 12 weeks ago I did 315x4 now I'm not sure I can get it once. However, I think I've pinpointed the problem... My left wrist seemed really unstable, so I'll be doing something for that. I will be doing lots of scap and cuff work due to a lot of shoulder injuries as well. I will be following Jim Wendlers general recomendation of high volume overhead pressing for bench accessory. I will also be doing lots of tricep work.

    Hopefully this thread will generate some traffic and we'll be able to get a good bit of knowledge and tips for all powerlifters.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html

  2. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Nefukkinbraska
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532236

    Sub'd
  3. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430707

    in, what federation do you lift in?
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    jaycuda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,869
    Rep Power
    197344

    Subbed, where can I check natural records at? I think I could probably take a few in a weight class near me.
  5. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    SPF. I see that they've updated their website though. I was at the record for 181, but apparently a big record was set in 2010 they didn't have listed before...

    Generally speaking you can go to the website of the federation you lift in to yet the records list.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  6. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430707

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter
    SPF. I see that they've updated their website though. I was at the record for 181, but apparently a big record was set in 2010 they didn't have listed before...

    Generally speaking you can go to the website of the federation you lift in to yet the records list.
    I know bro. I have my eyes on the APF masters II squat record next year.
  7. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Pull Day:

    Rack deads (top of knee): 495x5, 515x5, 535x5
    Pull-ups: BW x12, 45x8, 55x8, 65x8
    Iso Row: 90x8,10,10

    Today's workout felt really solid. Strongest I've been on rack deads maybe ever. Upper back started to round on the final set, so I'll be doing some heavy upper back work for that. I had intended to do some db rows or bent over rows, but I got called into work and had to cut the workout short.

    Tomorrow is leg day, it should be pretty solid. Legs are feeling good, and knees aren't aching any. Throughout the next few weeks, I will be playing with my stance a lot on squats and deadlifts, should be interesting.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  8. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Nefukkinbraska
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532236

    ^^^^ I'm still trying to find my squatting groove. Stance is SOOOO subjective. :frusty:
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  9. Registered User
    daft205's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The bay
    Posts
    599
    Rep Power
    53132

    Subbed for learning! In to see your progress. I'm on a similiar road- trying to get my numbers up to all time highs. I've never followed the 5-3-1 system but I'm thinking about giving it a go to get my big three up in poundages.
  10. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52
    ^^^^ I'm still trying to find my squatting groove. Stance is SOOOO subjective. :frusty:
    I've squatted 500 Olympic style before, but I think there is more potential for high weights with a wide powerlifting stance. I just have trouble hitting depth when going wide, because my hips tend to block me. Decisions... Decisions
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  11. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Quote Originally Posted by daft205
    Subbed for learning! In to see your progress. I'm on a similiar road- trying to get my numbers up to all time highs. I've never followed the 5-3-1 system but I'm thinking about giving it a go to get my big three up in poundages.
    Daft, glad you are stopping in. For whatever reason, I've lost a lot of strength since the PES contest... I have to get my numbers back up.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  12. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Had every intention of going in and doing legs today, but after my NFL speed session, my hams were pretty toasted. On top of that, I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night. The Heat won, and I live in Miami...

    Hopefully I can make up the leg session tomorrow. I've got a busy day ahead of me though.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  13. Registered User
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141049

    Interesting. Are you doing 531 then (you mentioned Wendler), or how are you training?
  14. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    I'm not doing 5/3/1 right now. I may change to it eventually. Currently I'm alternating heavy 3x5 with speed days.

    My deadlifts days started with pulls at the top of the knee. Next heavy deadlifts day will be from the bottom of the knee. 3rd week will be from the floor. Speed deads will always be from the floor and with either bands or chains.

    For squats I will be alternating heavy and speed days. Speed squats will be bands or chains and onto a box.

    For bench press, I will be alternating regular and board press for heavy days and use bands or chains for speed days.

    Ideally I will be able to work out 5 days per week or more. I will be starting off with 3-4 weeks of 3x5, then 3-4 weeks of 3x3, followed by 3 weeks of 3x1. Finally, one week of 3x10, before going back to 3x5. Assistance work will stay moderate volume throughout and will vary depending on where I feel my weak points are.

    Also I train with professional athletes, so quite often I'm doing speed workouts with my athletes. Which is one of the reasons I didn't get my squat workout in today.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  15. Registered User
    benmayro's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    1,914
    Rep Power
    128834

    ima here for the ride, nice to see someone sub 200 doing monster weights!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  16. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Quote Originally Posted by benmayro
    ima here for the ride, nice to see someone sub 200 doing monster weights!
    Haha, I don't know about monster weights.. maybe in the past, but I've got a long way to catch back up. Thanks for stopping by for the ride.

    Really glad to be getting some traffic in here.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  17. Registered User
    Crusher92's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    70

    ill follow this, beasty numbers there, specially for that weight! Comebacks are always fun, ive busted up my shoulder really bad before so i know about those haha xD
  18. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    115374

    Im not sure of why youve picked that long set up for you basic routine. Id suggest full WSC if your gonna do ME/DE work then adjust from there.
    Anyways if you feel your hips hold your squat back do box squats. Start to a parallel box and your normal stance, then go out a few inches, then a few more, then keep going. I squat pretty wide for full squat but take it out 2-3 inches for box squats (near my gear stance but raw). As for your bench id have to see some vids to help on why it may be going down. However most elite lifters dont bench to increase their bench aside from form work/shirt work. Jim did mention SOHP being an indicator for his bench and as such you may wanna aim to get stronger at it if your gonna test to see if it helps you also. I few other suggestions would be floor presses, cambered bar bench, and db pressing, however this comes down to where your sticking point is.
  19. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321
    Im not sure of why youve picked that long set up for you basic routine. Id suggest full WSC if your gonna do ME/DE work then adjust from there.
    Anyways if you feel your hips hold your squat back do box squats. Start to a parallel box and your normal stance, then go out a few inches, then a few more, then keep going. I squat pretty wide for full squat but take it out 2-3 inches for box squats (near my gear stance but raw). As for your bench id have to see some vids to help on why it may be going down. However most elite lifters dont bench to increase their bench aside from form work/shirt work. Jim did mention SOHP being an indicator for his bench and as such you may wanna aim to get stronger at it if your gonna test to see if it helps you also. I few other suggestions would be floor presses, cambered bar bench, and db pressing, however this comes down to where your sticking point is.
    My hips holding me back is not a flexibility thing, but rather a bony block. It's just the way my femur sits in my hip socket. It takes about 350lbs for me to hit depth. By the way I only lift raw, with the exception of the occasional knee wrap.

    I chose this set up to help me get adjusted to lifting heavier weights again. The only thing different from a west side template is the fact that I start off with three weeks of 3x5, which is a little higher volume, and I set it up as a 3 day split instead of a two day.

    As far as my bench goes, my biggest problem lies with shoulder instability and this weird wrist weakness.

    Thanks for stopping in sweetlou. Definitely glad to have you in here for some good advice and criticism.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  20. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    115374

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    My hips holding me back is not a flexibility thing, but rather a bony block. It's just the way my femur sits in my hip socket. It takes about 350lbs for me to hit depth. By the way I only lift raw, with the exception of the occasional knee wrap.

    I chose this set up to help me get adjusted to lifting heavier weights again. The only thing different from a west side template is the fact that I start off with three weeks of 3x5, which is a little higher volume, and I set it up as a 3 day split instead of a two day.

    As far as my bench goes, my biggest problem lies with shoulder instability and this weird wrist weakness.

    Thanks for stopping in sweetlou. Definitely glad to have you in here for some good advice and criticism.
    I also have trouble hitting depth when squatting wide, simply bc when you stick your feet pretty straight and spread the floor it almost creates a tightness which gives me great strengtha dn rebound. Could be a blessing? Unless its going to hurt you in the long run.

    Well I wish your set up the best, Im more of a pure WSC fan but whos to say this wont work?

    More upper back work and rows should be a priority for you. Try playing with how you grip the bar, I have to grip really low by my thumbs or else my wrists **** back and throw off my whole form. Strong wrist wraps would also be valuable to you as most raw feds allow them also. Also maybe your form could use work? I find if I bench flat foot I cant tuck right into my back/lats but when I arch and go on my toes I can easily support the weight and tuck.
  21. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    I have a really really long torso, so I already prioritize upper and mid back to make up for the really long moment arm when deadlifting.

    The tightness in my hips can definitely be a blessing when squatting, I just feel like it can't be good for me, and I get a really nice bounce out of the hole when squatting Olympic style.

    As far as bench, I have a solid arch. Scaps stay retracted, but as soon as I get about 4-5 inches off my chest, my elbows come out of the tuck and start to flare. I think its a shoulder stability thing and will really be working on it. Wrist wraps are a good idea, but I'm going to try other means first.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  22. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    115374

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    I have a really really long torso, so I already prioritize upper and mid back to make up for the really long moment arm when deadlifting.

    The tightness in my hips can definitely be a blessing when squatting, I just feel like it can't be good for me, and I get a really nice bounce out of the hole when squatting Olympic style.

    As far as bench, I have a solid arch. Scaps stay retracted, but as soon as I get about 4-5 inches off my chest, my elbows come out of the tuck and start to flare. I think its a shoulder stability thing and will really be working on it. Wrist wraps are a good idea, but I'm going to try other means first.
    If it isnt hurtin you and your not taken your stance out super wide and back loading the hip joints id say take full advantage.
    One way to a bigger and more stable bench is a strong upper back, since ive personally started kroc rows ive had no stability issues.
    Some ppl promote flaring as a means to get the most out of your lockout strength, just keep making sure the bar is being pulled apart. I almost always flare on heavy ME work. Just aim to press in a straight line and maybe warm up with a band around your wrists. If you get a chance post some vids of your bench.
  23. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Yesterday Speed Squat:

    Speed Box Squat Purple band: 8x2 135,135,135,145,145,145,155,15 5
    GHR: 3x12BW (slow eccentric)
    TKE: 3x10 green band

    Short session yesterday. Had to get in and out fast. Knees were feeling a little rough so I did TKE's in hopes to help that out. Was using a tendo unit for speed squats, and it took me a while to really get explosive, hence the reason I stayed at 135 so long. GHRs were solid, not difficult, but got a real nice contraction.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  24. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Only had about 30-35 minutes today to workout. Writing this on my one hour break for this 20hr work day...

    3 Board Bench: 255x5, 275x5, 295x5, 315x5
    DB Bench: 3x10x90 lbs
    Dips: BWx20, 45x10, 70x10, 90x10

    Wanted to squeeze ohp into the workout, but didn't have time. Did some shoulder correctives during the workout. Today was a recent PR on board bench. Very happy with it. Wrist felt great today. Hammered chest and triceps for accessory work.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  25. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Got a killer speed session in today, with emphasis on acceleration and deceleration mechanics. Tonight I did heavy lower.

    Squats: 275x5, 295x5, 315x5, 335x5
    Front squat: 135x10, 185x8, 205x8
    Reverse Hyper Holds: 3x30sec

    Had to get another super quick session in today. This will probably be the norm for a little bit since I'm working a ton of hours right now (100+/week).

    Squats felt good today. First time I've gone wide stance in a very long time. Once I hit 315 and 335 my knees were having trouble staying wide. I felt strong on them today. Front squats felt better than ever today. My hips and legs were fried after the speed session this morning. No problems hitting depth today, no clue why, but happy regardless.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6acv...e_gdata_player

    315x5

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6irv...e_gdata_player

    335x5
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  26. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    115374

    Not sure how wide you are going but I see your knees coming forward some. I also saw the weight shifting from your toes to your heels a lot in both vids. Also your set up needs some work when getting under the bar and unracking. Good speed.
  27. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    My feet were almost twice shoulder width. I've definitely squatted with a wider stance, but it gets really difficult to hit depth any wider than that. I definitely need to work on the rocking from heel to toe. I think that's a core issue. I'm not too concerned with my knees coming forward though, since I normally do Olympic squats.

    Also, I think the rocking may have been caused by the knees beginning to cave in. I'm guessing more glute work and abductor work needs to be done.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  28. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    115374

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    My feet were almost twice shoulder width. I've definitely squatted with a wider stance, but it gets really difficult to hit depth any wider than that. I definitely need to work on the rocking from heel to toe. I think that's a core issue. I'm not too concerned with my knees coming forward though, since I normally do Olympic squats.

    Also, I think the rocking may have been caused by the knees beginning to cave in. I'm guessing more glute work and abductor work needs to be done.
    Was the squat high/low bar? With the wide stance youd want to load more weight into your hams, gluts, hips then quads so I would try to not let your knees come to far forward. The knees thing sounds like your need more form work.
  29. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321

    Was the squat high/low bar? With the wide stance youd want to load more weight into your hams, gluts, hips then quads so I would try to not let your knees come to far forward. The knees thing sounds like your need more form work.
    My right shoulder was really bothering me, so I went with a slightly higher low bar position, but definitely a low bar position. I usually go low bar even when squatting with a close stance because I'm hamstring dominant anyway.

    If I were to have a very low bar position like I normally would have, I probably would have had less knee travel forward. However, I still need to figure out something to fix the knees caving inward. They've done this since i came back from two knee surgeries. Wraps help some, but I try to use those sparingly.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  30. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Todays workout: Back day

    Rack Deads from below knees: 315x5, 375x5, 375x5, 405x5
    Pull-ups: BWx12, 45x8, 55x8, 65x8
    Iso Row: 45x12, 70x10,10, 55x15
    Kroc Rows: 100x20,15,15
    DB Curls: 40x8,8,8

    Very solid back workout. Back started rounding at 405, but I was sore before I started. Pull ups were great, and iso rows were even better. Great contraction on the iso rows. Kroc rows were a lot harder than they should have been. Guess I need to do them more often. Curls are just blah. Hate doing direct arm work.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  31. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    115374

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    My right shoulder was really bothering me, so I went with a slightly higher low bar position, but definitely a low bar position. I usually go low bar even when squatting with a close stance because I'm hamstring dominant anyway.

    If I were to have a very low bar position like I normally would have, I probably would have had less knee travel forward. However, I still need to figure out something to fix the knees caving inward. They've done this since i came back from two knee surgeries. Wraps help some, but I try to use those sparingly.
    You drive the floor apart when you squat and try to push your knees out? I also found wide box squat, kettlebell swings, ad/adductor work, and sumo pulls help this.
  32. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321

    You drive the floor apart when you squat and try to push your knees out? I also found wide box squat, kettlebell swings, ad/adductor work, and sumo pulls help this.
    Yea, I always try to spread the floor. Hips and glutes were definitely sore today from it. Never thought about sumo pulls being accessory work for squats, but it makes sense.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  33. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Bench videos to come...

    Bench: 225x5, 245x5, 255x5, 265x4 (no spotter), 225x11 weak
    Wide DB Hammer Bench (slow neg): 75x12,12,12
    Military: 100x10,10,10,10,10
    JM Press (black bands): 65x8,8,10, 45x15

    Solid chest workout. Strength still isn't where it should be. Don't know what happened over the last two months, but at least its creeping back up. Military was up 5lbs and felt easier this week, a good sign for sure.

    265x4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZBM...e_gdata_player

    255x5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T45CS...e_gdata_player
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  34. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    115374

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    Bench videos to come...

    Bench: 225x5, 245x5, 255x5, 265x4 (no spotter), 225x11 weak
    Wide DB Hammer Bench (slow neg): 75x12,12,12
    Military: 100x10,10,10,10,10
    JM Press (black bands): 65x8,8,10, 45x15

    Solid chest workout. Strength still isn't where it should be. Don't know what happened over the last two months, but at least its creeping back up. Military was up 5lbs and felt easier this week, a good sign for sure.

    265x4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZBM...e_gdata_player

    255x5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T45CS...e_gdata_player
    It may help you in the long term to not think of your works as muscles but as movements. This keeps it clear that your goal of the session is to increase that movement as bench is not a "chest" movement when done for the sport of powerlifting.

    Your bench form needs some work. Im gonna suggest you watch the "so you think you can bench" series by elite fts on youtube.
    Your wrists were ****ed back from what I can tell from this angle, your wrist problem probably comes out of this. Your hips/glutes look to come off the bench when you use leg drive which would make these lifts red lighted in a meet. Id suggest try maxing out your arch then play with feet behind or toes benching and feet infront benching. You will see what im talking about in the videos. I know metal militia promotes benching in an arch motion but im westside style bencher so I press in a straight line, all things to think about. Best of luck.
  35. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    115374

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    Yea, I always try to spread the floor. Hips and glutes were definitely sore today from it. Never thought about sumo pulls being accessory work for squats, but it makes sense.
    It could also provide carry over to your deadlift to if you pull conventional.
  36. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321

    It may help you in the long term to not think of your works as muscles but as movements. This keeps it clear that your goal of the session is to increase that movement as bench is not a "chest" movement when done for the sport of powerlifting.

    Your bench form needs some work. Im gonna suggest you watch the "so you think you can bench" series by elite fts on youtube.
    Your wrists were ****ed back from what I can tell from this angle, your wrist problem probably comes out of this. Your hips/glutes look to come off the bench when you use leg drive which would make these lifts red lighted in a meet. Id suggest try maxing out your arch then play with feet behind or toes benching and feet infront benching. You will see what im talking about in the videos. I know metal militia promotes benching in an arch motion but im westside style bencher so I press in a straight line, all things to think about. Best of luck.
    I know in the video it looks like my ass came off the bench, but it definitely stayed down. I can do a bigger arch, but then my back ALWAYS cramps up. I've studied the series, and that's how I originally got my set up and pressing technique. I'm not sure what you mean by the wrists being ****ed back. I'll have to study that a bit more.

    Thanks for the tips sweetlou.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  37. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    115374

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    I know in the video it looks like my ass came off the bench, but it definitely stayed down. I can do a bigger arch, but then my back ALWAYS cramps up. I've studied the series, and that's how I originally got my set up and pressing technique. I'm not sure what you mean by the wrists being ****ed back. I'll have to study that a bit more.

    Thanks for the tips sweetlou.
    Just trying to give the most feedback I could off the video. I mean it looks like the bar is not inline with your forearms thus losing power.
  38. Registered User
    Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17495

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321

    Just trying to give the most feedback I could off the video. I mean it looks like the bar is not inline with your forearms thus losing power.
    Ok, I think I understand what you mean. You're saying I should hold the bar closer to the bottom of my palm rather than up by the knuckle side?
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  39. Registered User
    GeovanniG's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    59

    Your determination and passion fires me up. Keep us informed with your progress.
    Be sur to visit my site at http://maxweights.blogspot.com/ (copy and paste)
  40. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    115374

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    Ok, I think I understand what you mean. You're saying I should hold the bar closer to the bottom of my palm rather than up by the knuckle side?
    Well this is a very personal thing. I cant keep my wrists straight witht the bar near my knuckles so I grip low on my palm. My partner can keep his wrists straight and grips higher. Id say play with it a lil and take video until you find a grip that allows you to keep the bar inline with your forearm. Your losing power if it behind the forearm, esp tricep strength.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Gonna break records with Anabeta,Wyked (Log)
    By Griz15 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 09:34 PM
  2. Time to Buy Powerlifting Gear
    By turbolag86 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 06:14 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in