Legacyfighter: Time to Break Some Powerlifting Records

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Just over a year ago I was getting ready for my first powerlifting competition. At the time I was about 185 with a 500 ATG squat 380 bench, and 500 deadlifts. I needed 5 more pounds to break the Raw Natural record in my weight class... Then I broke my arm, my thumb, and several bones in my face. I've been working my way back up, but have had some setbacks along the way. Now, I'm completely healthy and should have enough time to really go after this goal.

Current stats:
Weight: 190
Squat: 315x6
Bench: 265x6
Deadlifts: 425x1

Now I understand that these numbers are a long way off from any records, but I'm expecting these numbers to go back up rather quick. I've got a plan of attack to reach my goals, and this log will document that plan. I should be able to post videos along the way so I can get some tips on form and corrective exercises.

Todays Workout:

Bench: 225x5, 245x5, 265x5
CG Bench: 225x5,5,5
Military: 95x10,10,10,10,10
Band JM Press: 65x8, 45x12, 55x10

For the last few weeks, my bench seems to be going down. 12 weeks ago I did 315x4 now I'm not sure I can get it once. However, I think I've pinpointed the problem... My left wrist seemed really unstable, so I'll be doing something for that. I will be doing lots of scap and cuff work due to a lot of shoulder injuries as well. I will be following Jim Wendlers general recomendation of high volume overhead pressing for bench accessory. I will also be doing lots of tricep work.

Hopefully this thread will generate some traffic and we'll be able to get a good bit of knowledge and tips for all powerlifters.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sub'd

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Subbed, where can I check natural records at? I think I could probably take a few in a weight class near me.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
SPF. I see that they've updated their website though. I was at the record for 181, but apparently a big record was set in 2010 they didn't have listed before...

Generally speaking you can go to the website of the federation you lift in to yet the records list.

napalm

napalm

Awards
SPF. I see that they've updated their website though. I was at the record for 181, but apparently a big record was set in 2010 they didn't have listed before...

Generally speaking you can go to the website of the federation you lift in to yet the records list.
I know bro. I have my eyes on the APF masters II squat record next year.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Pull Day:

Rack deads (top of knee): 495x5, 515x5, 535x5
Pull-ups: BW x12, 45x8, 55x8, 65x8
Iso Row: 90x8,10,10

Today's workout felt really solid. Strongest I've been on rack deads maybe ever. Upper back started to round on the final set, so I'll be doing some heavy upper back work for that. I had intended to do some db rows or bent over rows, but I got called into work and had to cut the workout short.

Tomorrow is leg day, it should be pretty solid. Legs are feeling good, and knees aren't aching any. Throughout the next few weeks, I will be playing with my stance a lot on squats and deadlifts, should be interesting.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^ I'm still trying to find my squatting groove. Stance is SOOOO subjective. :frusty:

daft205

daft205

Awards
  • Established
Subbed for learning! In to see your progress. I'm on a similiar road- trying to get my numbers up to all time highs. I've never followed the 5-3-1 system but I'm thinking about giving it a go to get my big three up in poundages.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
^^^^ I'm still trying to find my squatting groove. Stance is SOOOO subjective. :frusty:
I've squatted 500 Olympic style before, but I think there is more potential for high weights with a wide powerlifting stance. I just have trouble hitting depth when going wide, because my hips tend to block me. Decisions... Decisions

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Subbed for learning! In to see your progress. I'm on a similiar road- trying to get my numbers up to all time highs. I've never followed the 5-3-1 system but I'm thinking about giving it a go to get my big three up in poundages.
Daft, glad you are stopping in. For whatever reason, I've lost a lot of strength since the PES contest... I have to get my numbers back up.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Had every intention of going in and doing legs today, but after my NFL speed session, my hams were pretty toasted. On top of that, I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night. The Heat won, and I live in Miami...

Hopefully I can make up the leg session tomorrow. I've got a busy day ahead of me though.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting. Are you doing 531 then (you mentioned Wendler), or how are you training?

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
I'm not doing 5/3/1 right now. I may change to it eventually. Currently I'm alternating heavy 3x5 with speed days.

My deadlifts days started with pulls at the top of the knee. Next heavy deadlifts day will be from the bottom of the knee. 3rd week will be from the floor. Speed deads will always be from the floor and with either bands or chains.

For squats I will be alternating heavy and speed days. Speed squats will be bands or chains and onto a box.

For bench press, I will be alternating regular and board press for heavy days and use bands or chains for speed days.

Ideally I will be able to work out 5 days per week or more. I will be starting off with 3-4 weeks of 3x5, then 3-4 weeks of 3x3, followed by 3 weeks of 3x1. Finally, one week of 3x10, before going back to 3x5. Assistance work will stay moderate volume throughout and will vary depending on where I feel my weak points are.

Also I train with professional athletes, so quite often I'm doing speed workouts with my athletes. Which is one of the reasons I didn't get my squat workout in today.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
ima here for the ride, nice to see someone sub 200 doing monster weights!

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
ima here for the ride, nice to see someone sub 200 doing monster weights!
Haha, I don't know about monster weights.. maybe in the past, but I've got a long way to catch back up. Thanks for stopping by for the ride.

Really glad to be getting some traffic in here.

Crusher92

Awards
ill follow this, beasty numbers there, specially for that weight! Comebacks are always fun, ive busted up my shoulder really bad before so i know about those haha xD

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im not sure of why youve picked that long set up for you basic routine. Id suggest full WSC if your gonna do ME/DE work then adjust from there.
Anyways if you feel your hips hold your squat back do box squats. Start to a parallel box and your normal stance, then go out a few inches, then a few more, then keep going. I squat pretty wide for full squat but take it out 2-3 inches for box squats (near my gear stance but raw). As for your bench id have to see some vids to help on why it may be going down. However most elite lifters dont bench to increase their bench aside from form work/shirt work. Jim did mention SOHP being an indicator for his bench and as such you may wanna aim to get stronger at it if your gonna test to see if it helps you also. I few other suggestions would be floor presses, cambered bar bench, and db pressing, however this comes down to where your sticking point is.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Im not sure of why youve picked that long set up for you basic routine. Id suggest full WSC if your gonna do ME/DE work then adjust from there.
Anyways if you feel your hips hold your squat back do box squats. Start to a parallel box and your normal stance, then go out a few inches, then a few more, then keep going. I squat pretty wide for full squat but take it out 2-3 inches for box squats (near my gear stance but raw). As for your bench id have to see some vids to help on why it may be going down. However most elite lifters dont bench to increase their bench aside from form work/shirt work. Jim did mention SOHP being an indicator for his bench and as such you may wanna aim to get stronger at it if your gonna test to see if it helps you also. I few other suggestions would be floor presses, cambered bar bench, and db pressing, however this comes down to where your sticking point is.
My hips holding me back is not a flexibility thing, but rather a bony block. It's just the way my femur sits in my hip socket. It takes about 350lbs for me to hit depth. By the way I only lift raw, with the exception of the occasional knee wrap.

I chose this set up to help me get adjusted to lifting heavier weights again. The only thing different from a west side template is the fact that I start off with three weeks of 3x5, which is a little higher volume, and I set it up as a 3 day split instead of a two day.

As far as my bench goes, my biggest problem lies with shoulder instability and this weird wrist weakness.

Thanks for stopping in sweetlou. Definitely glad to have you in here for some good advice and criticism.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My hips holding me back is not a flexibility thing, but rather a bony block. It's just the way my femur sits in my hip socket. It takes about 350lbs for me to hit depth. By the way I only lift raw, with the exception of the occasional knee wrap.

I chose this set up to help me get adjusted to lifting heavier weights again. The only thing different from a west side template is the fact that I start off with three weeks of 3x5, which is a little higher volume, and I set it up as a 3 day split instead of a two day.

As far as my bench goes, my biggest problem lies with shoulder instability and this weird wrist weakness.

Thanks for stopping in sweetlou. Definitely glad to have you in here for some good advice and criticism.
I also have trouble hitting depth when squatting wide, simply bc when you stick your feet pretty straight and spread the floor it almost creates a tightness which gives me great strengtha dn rebound. Could be a blessing? Unless its going to hurt you in the long run.

Well I wish your set up the best, Im more of a pure WSC fan but whos to say this wont work?

More upper back work and rows should be a priority for you. Try playing with how you grip the bar, I have to grip really low by my thumbs or else my wrists **** back and throw off my whole form. Strong wrist wraps would also be valuable to you as most raw feds allow them also. Also maybe your form could use work? I find if I bench flat foot I cant tuck right into my back/lats but when I arch and go on my toes I can easily support the weight and tuck.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
I have a really really long torso, so I already prioritize upper and mid back to make up for the really long moment arm when deadlifting.

The tightness in my hips can definitely be a blessing when squatting, I just feel like it can't be good for me, and I get a really nice bounce out of the hole when squatting Olympic style.

As far as bench, I have a solid arch. Scaps stay retracted, but as soon as I get about 4-5 inches off my chest, my elbows come out of the tuck and start to flare. I think its a shoulder stability thing and will really be working on it. Wrist wraps are a good idea, but I'm going to try other means first.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have a really really long torso, so I already prioritize upper and mid back to make up for the really long moment arm when deadlifting.

The tightness in my hips can definitely be a blessing when squatting, I just feel like it can't be good for me, and I get a really nice bounce out of the hole when squatting Olympic style.

As far as bench, I have a solid arch. Scaps stay retracted, but as soon as I get about 4-5 inches off my chest, my elbows come out of the tuck and start to flare. I think its a shoulder stability thing and will really be working on it. Wrist wraps are a good idea, but I'm going to try other means first.
If it isnt hurtin you and your not taken your stance out super wide and back loading the hip joints id say take full advantage.
One way to a bigger and more stable bench is a strong upper back, since ive personally started kroc rows ive had no stability issues.
Some ppl promote flaring as a means to get the most out of your lockout strength, just keep making sure the bar is being pulled apart. I almost always flare on heavy ME work. Just aim to press in a straight line and maybe warm up with a band around your wrists. If you get a chance post some vids of your bench.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday Speed Squat:

Speed Box Squat Purple band: 8x2 135,135,135,145,145,145,155,155
GHR: 3x12BW (slow eccentric)
TKE: 3x10 green band

Short session yesterday. Had to get in and out fast. Knees were feeling a little rough so I did TKE's in hopes to help that out. Was using a tendo unit for speed squats, and it took me a while to really get explosive, hence the reason I stayed at 135 so long. GHRs were solid, not difficult, but got a real nice contraction.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Only had about 30-35 minutes today to workout. Writing this on my one hour break for this 20hr work day...

3 Board Bench: 255x5, 275x5, 295x5, 315x5
DB Bench: 3x10x90 lbs
Dips: BWx20, 45x10, 70x10, 90x10

Wanted to squeeze ohp into the workout, but didn't have time. Did some shoulder correctives during the workout. Today was a recent PR on board bench. Very happy with it. Wrist felt great today. Hammered chest and triceps for accessory work.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Got a killer speed session in today, with emphasis on acceleration and deceleration mechanics. Tonight I did heavy lower.

Squats: 275x5, 295x5, 315x5, 335x5
Front squat: 135x10, 185x8, 205x8
Reverse Hyper Holds: 3x30sec

Had to get another super quick session in today. This will probably be the norm for a little bit since I'm working a ton of hours right now (100+/week).

Squats felt good today. First time I've gone wide stance in a very long time. Once I hit 315 and 335 my knees were having trouble staying wide. I felt strong on them today. Front squats felt better than ever today. My hips and legs were fried after the speed session this morning. No problems hitting depth today, no clue why, but happy regardless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6acvOMOofM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

315x5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6irvHhgQ38&feature=youtube_gdata_player

335x5

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not sure how wide you are going but I see your knees coming forward some. I also saw the weight shifting from your toes to your heels a lot in both vids. Also your set up needs some work when getting under the bar and unracking. Good speed.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
My feet were almost twice shoulder width. I've definitely squatted with a wider stance, but it gets really difficult to hit depth any wider than that. I definitely need to work on the rocking from heel to toe. I think that's a core issue. I'm not too concerned with my knees coming forward though, since I normally do Olympic squats.

Also, I think the rocking may have been caused by the knees beginning to cave in. I'm guessing more glute work and abductor work needs to be done.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My feet were almost twice shoulder width. I've definitely squatted with a wider stance, but it gets really difficult to hit depth any wider than that. I definitely need to work on the rocking from heel to toe. I think that's a core issue. I'm not too concerned with my knees coming forward though, since I normally do Olympic squats.

Also, I think the rocking may have been caused by the knees beginning to cave in. I'm guessing more glute work and abductor work needs to be done.
Was the squat high/low bar? With the wide stance youd want to load more weight into your hams, gluts, hips then quads so I would try to not let your knees come to far forward. The knees thing sounds like your need more form work.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Was the squat high/low bar? With the wide stance youd want to load more weight into your hams, gluts, hips then quads so I would try to not let your knees come to far forward. The knees thing sounds like your need more form work.
My right shoulder was really bothering me, so I went with a slightly higher low bar position, but definitely a low bar position. I usually go low bar even when squatting with a close stance because I'm hamstring dominant anyway.

If I were to have a very low bar position like I normally would have, I probably would have had less knee travel forward. However, I still need to figure out something to fix the knees caving inward. They've done this since i came back from two knee surgeries. Wraps help some, but I try to use those sparingly.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Todays workout: Back day

Rack Deads from below knees: 315x5, 375x5, 375x5, 405x5
Pull-ups: BWx12, 45x8, 55x8, 65x8
Iso Row: 45x12, 70x10,10, 55x15
Kroc Rows: 100x20,15,15
DB Curls: 40x8,8,8

Very solid back workout. Back started rounding at 405, but I was sore before I started. Pull ups were great, and iso rows were even better. Great contraction on the iso rows. Kroc rows were a lot harder than they should have been. Guess I need to do them more often. Curls are just blah. Hate doing direct arm work.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My right shoulder was really bothering me, so I went with a slightly higher low bar position, but definitely a low bar position. I usually go low bar even when squatting with a close stance because I'm hamstring dominant anyway.

If I were to have a very low bar position like I normally would have, I probably would have had less knee travel forward. However, I still need to figure out something to fix the knees caving inward. They've done this since i came back from two knee surgeries. Wraps help some, but I try to use those sparingly.
You drive the floor apart when you squat and try to push your knees out? I also found wide box squat, kettlebell swings, ad/adductor work, and sumo pulls help this.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
You drive the floor apart when you squat and try to push your knees out? I also found wide box squat, kettlebell swings, ad/adductor work, and sumo pulls help this.
Yea, I always try to spread the floor. Hips and glutes were definitely sore today from it. Never thought about sumo pulls being accessory work for squats, but it makes sense.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Bench videos to come...

Bench: 225x5, 245x5, 255x5, 265x4 (no spotter), 225x11 weak
Wide DB Hammer Bench (slow neg): 75x12,12,12
Military: 100x10,10,10,10,10
JM Press (black bands): 65x8,8,10, 45x15

Solid chest workout. Strength still isn't where it should be. Don't know what happened over the last two months, but at least its creeping back up. Military was up 5lbs and felt easier this week, a good sign for sure.

265x4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZBMMWkmBs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

255x5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T45CSd9eWDY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bench videos to come...

Bench: 225x5, 245x5, 255x5, 265x4 (no spotter), 225x11 weak
Wide DB Hammer Bench (slow neg): 75x12,12,12
Military: 100x10,10,10,10,10
JM Press (black bands): 65x8,8,10, 45x15

Solid chest workout. Strength still isn't where it should be. Don't know what happened over the last two months, but at least its creeping back up. Military was up 5lbs and felt easier this week, a good sign for sure.

265x4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZBMMWkmBs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

255x5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T45CSd9eWDY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
It may help you in the long term to not think of your works as muscles but as movements. This keeps it clear that your goal of the session is to increase that movement as bench is not a "chest" movement when done for the sport of powerlifting.

Your bench form needs some work. Im gonna suggest you watch the "so you think you can bench" series by elite fts on youtube.
Your wrists were ****ed back from what I can tell from this angle, your wrist problem probably comes out of this. Your hips/glutes look to come off the bench when you use leg drive which would make these lifts red lighted in a meet. Id suggest try maxing out your arch then play with feet behind or toes benching and feet infront benching. You will see what im talking about in the videos. I know metal militia promotes benching in an arch motion but im westside style bencher so I press in a straight line, all things to think about. Best of luck.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yea, I always try to spread the floor. Hips and glutes were definitely sore today from it. Never thought about sumo pulls being accessory work for squats, but it makes sense.
It could also provide carry over to your deadlift to if you pull conventional.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
It may help you in the long term to not think of your works as muscles but as movements. This keeps it clear that your goal of the session is to increase that movement as bench is not a "chest" movement when done for the sport of powerlifting.

Your bench form needs some work. Im gonna suggest you watch the "so you think you can bench" series by elite fts on youtube.
Your wrists were ****ed back from what I can tell from this angle, your wrist problem probably comes out of this. Your hips/glutes look to come off the bench when you use leg drive which would make these lifts red lighted in a meet. Id suggest try maxing out your arch then play with feet behind or toes benching and feet infront benching. You will see what im talking about in the videos. I know metal militia promotes benching in an arch motion but im westside style bencher so I press in a straight line, all things to think about. Best of luck.
I know in the video it looks like my ass came off the bench, but it definitely stayed down. I can do a bigger arch, but then my back ALWAYS cramps up. I've studied the series, and that's how I originally got my set up and pressing technique. I'm not sure what you mean by the wrists being ****ed back. I'll have to study that a bit more.

Thanks for the tips sweetlou.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know in the video it looks like my ass came off the bench, but it definitely stayed down. I can do a bigger arch, but then my back ALWAYS cramps up. I've studied the series, and that's how I originally got my set up and pressing technique. I'm not sure what you mean by the wrists being ****ed back. I'll have to study that a bit more.

Thanks for the tips sweetlou.
Just trying to give the most feedback I could off the video. I mean it looks like the bar is not inline with your forearms thus losing power.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Just trying to give the most feedback I could off the video. I mean it looks like the bar is not inline with your forearms thus losing power.
Ok, I think I understand what you mean. You're saying I should hold the bar closer to the bottom of my palm rather than up by the knuckle side?

GeovanniG

GeovanniG

Awards
Your determination and passion fires me up. Keep us informed with your progress.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ok, I think I understand what you mean. You're saying I should hold the bar closer to the bottom of my palm rather than up by the knuckle side?
Well this is a very personal thing. I cant keep my wrists straight witht the bar near my knuckles so I grip low on my palm. My partner can keep his wrists straight and grips higher. Id say play with it a lil and take video until you find a grip that allows you to keep the bar inline with your forearm. Your losing power if it behind the forearm, esp tricep strength.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Well I've worked 60 hours in three days, 80 since Saturday.... Needless to say, I've had no time to workout. Back in the gym tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Looking forward to it.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Well I've worked 60 hours in three days, 80 since Saturday.... Needless to say, I've had no time to workout. Back in the gym tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Looking forward to it.
$$$$$$$$$$.

Hopefully you break some of your current PRs tomorrow thanks to the small break from lifting. You have some crazy lifetime records, can't wait to see videos of you getting back up there. Kill it dude!

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
$$$$$$$$$$.

Hopefully you break some of your current PRs tomorrow thanks to the small break from lifting. You have some crazy lifetime records, can't wait to see videos of you getting back up there. Kill it dude!
Man I hope so too. My all time numbers were decent, but my big goal is to get 550, 405, 600 raw by this time next year. Preferably at less than 200. All time goal is to be better than Ed Coan, but that's a bit of a lofty goal and will take a lite while to achieve, lol.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Alright, made it to the gym after work this afternoon. Will post videos later. The session was decent, but it was the first time I've squatted in heells in a long time and my form was off.

Close Stance Low Bar squat: 275x5, 295x5, 315x5, 335x2...
Bulgarian squats: 55sx5, 70sx5, 80sx5
GHR: BWx12, 40x8, 40x8 dropx8
Leg Ext: 160x10, 170x10, 180.x8, 150x6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTBkSLBxdVA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

As you can see in the bis, the shoes or the low bar position were really throwing me out of the groove, but I felt extremely strong today. Really wish I would have been able to find the groove, because the weights felt very light. Unfortunately on my set of 335 I had to bail on the third rep because my hips pushed too far back.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
No videos today, but I got a solid session in. Very happy witg how it went.

3 board bench: 275x3,315x3, 335x3
CG Bench: 185x8, 205x8, 215x8
A1) DB Squeeze press: 40sx10,10,10
A2) DB flies: 40sx8,8,8
Dips: 25x12, 50x10, 75x10, 100x10
Band resisted push-ups: 1x Fail @18 reps black band.

Really good pressing workout, even with only a couple hours of sleep last night. I felt really strong on board presses till the last set when my elbows kept flaring out. Went suicide grip today, not sure how I like it yet. By the end of the workout, triceps and chest were pretty beat. Deadlifts will be tomorrow hopefully.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Alright, made it to the gym after work this afternoon. Will post videos later. The session was decent, but it was the first time I've squatted in heells in a long time and my form was off.

Close Stance Low Bar squat: 275x5, 295x5, 315x5, 335x2...
Bulgarian squats: 55sx5, 70sx5, 80sx5
GHR: BWx12, 40x8, 40x8 dropx8
Leg Ext: 160x10, 170x10, 180.x8, 150x6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTBkSLBxdVA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

As you can see in the bis, the shoes or the low bar position were really throwing me out of the groove, but I felt extremely strong today. Really wish I would have been able to find the groove, because the weights felt very light. Unfortunately on my set of 335 I had to bail on the third rep because my hips pushed too far back.
Arnt your knees not suppose to go over your toes? I never oly squat so I could be wrong on this.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
When doing Olympic style squats it is perfectly acceptable and encouraged for the knees to go over the toes. One of the reasons Olympic lodgers wear heels when they lift.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift Day!!!

Deadlifts: 315x5, 345x5, 365x5
A1) Band Lat pullover: 4x12
A2) Iso Row: 70x8, 80x8, 80x8, 70x8
B1) Band Lat pullover: 3x12
B2) pull-ups: BWx12, 25x12, 25x12

Good Deadlift session. No grip issues at all which I was kind of surprised about. Set one was conventional, second semi-sumo, third was sumo Deadlift. All sets felt equally difficult. Probably could have gone a few pounds heavier, oh well... Next time. Videos to come.

345x5 Semi Sumo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtVp_lpacww&feature=plcp

315x5 Conventional http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_JFwPcjaYA&feature=plcp

I could easily deadlift 405 right now.. maybe 435... 500 should come fast though. Now that i'm starting to get accustomed to lifting again, i'll probably do full range deads every back day, with a partial as an accessory. If you watch the vids, you can tell i have a really long torso, and that its hard for me to keep it locked the entire time.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
I got a really good bench press session in today. Everything felt smooth. Starting to get stronger I think.

Bench: 255x3, 265x3, 275x3, 285x3
CG Bench: 225x5,5,8
Military: 115x10,10,10,10,10
Dips: 45x8, 90x8, 115x8
Lateral raise: 25x10,10,10,10
Cable flies: 30x12,12,12,12

Everything seemed to get stronger as I went through this workout. I didn't want to stop. Numbers are beginning to go up on everything though. Hopefully this trend continues. Bench felt smooth, though my left elbow is flaring out. This is the shoulder with more injuries, so I have to figure out a way to fix that. Will add the video in a few.

285x3 bench press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFKaUs6UNho&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Butt came off the bench a bit on rep two, but otherwise solid.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Well work has kept me away from lifting for 3 days again. Ready to get back in the gym and squat. Tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday I should be able to get in and do work.