1st week of 5x5

mrswe24

Awards
Just started strong lifts 5x5 training and finished the 1st week today. It's a bit different than the program I was on before. But I feel good doing it. I already feel bigger and my lifts improving. My diet is going well with this 3 day program. I'll report again next week.

cisco_trooper

Awards
I just got done with week 3 of SL 5x5. I am curious if any of you have an recommendations for adding cardio to my routine. When should I do it, and how much? I have a heavy bag I love to hit but I've stayed away from it recently because everytime I start hitting it on a regular basis I find myself getting over-trained and exhausted so I've cut it out to focus purely on strength. Being only 3 days a week I have the itch to do more, but I don't want to sacrifice strength gains and recovery to do it. I'm doing SL 5x5 Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I'm thinking I could do a tough HIIT session on Saturdays. Thoughts? Suggestions?

mrswe24

Awards
I too am worrying about over training. I got to get ready for track I am a sprinter/jumper. M-W-F are my lift days. In between those days I do hill sprints. Or take it easy with swimming and a few 800m runs/mile or 2. Also I try to incorporate ply metrics/agility drills

mattsams89

Awards
Overtraining is a chronic condition different than the acute fatigue experienced after a tough session/week. Overreaching is a more apt term and only leads to overtraining if you don't rest to allow for recovery and adaptation. Again, this is long term on the scale of months.

There is a great post in the thread Strength Training and Body Weight a few threads down. It covers some basics of added "cardio."

The big thing you must do is account for the volume of added training. If you add a ton of running, you have to adjust weight and plyo volume. And just like with weights, don't go out and run 10x10m repeats your first day. Build your volume and work capacity over time. Now, I believe in starting at short distances and working up, while others argue the opposite. If you're concerned with top speed, I suggest short to long, but do your own research on it to make a decision.

mattsams89

Awards
I too am worrying about over training. I got to get ready for track I am a sprinter/jumper. M-W-F are my lift days. In between those days I do hill sprints. Or take it easy with swimming and a few 800m runs/mile or 2. Also I try to incorporate ply metrics/agility drills
What races do you specialize in?

mrswe24

Awards
Overtraining is a chronic condition different than the acute fatigue experienced after a tough session/week. Overreaching is a more apt term and only leads to overtraining if you don't rest to allow for recovery and adaptation. Again, this is long term on the scale of months.

There is a great post in the thread Strength Training and Body Weight a few threads down. It covers some basics of added "cardio."

The big thing you must do is account for the volume of added training. If you add a ton of running, you have to adjust weight and plyo volume. And just like with weights, don't go out and run 10x10m repeats your first day. Build your volume and work capacity over time. Now, I believe in starting at short distances and working up, while others argue the opposite. If you're concerned with top speed, I suggest short to long, but do your own research on it to make a decision.
Yeah my coach wants me to do long to short. I'm kinda doing both for now. But I need to plan it all out.

mrswe24

Awards
What races do you specialize in?
My main event is the 100m. But overall i can compete in any event. Usually I've done relays and some field events, due to not event sprinters this year I'll be doing all individual events.

mattsams89

Awards
Yeah my coach wants me to do long to short. I'm kinda doing both for now. But I need to plan it all out.
My main event is the 100m. But overall i can compete in any event. Usually I've done relays and some field events, due to not event sprinters this year I'll be doing all individual events.
Gotcha. Well, my big beef with long to short is that mechanics of the long races aren't the same as the mechanics of the 1&2. You aren't moving at the same velocities, which in turn, affects your gait and stride. I feel it's more beneficial to move at higher velocities early to allow you to observe form issues and have a longer time to work on them (there are other reasons for short to long, but we'll keep it brief for now).

Regardless, running 800m-3200m in one stretch seems pointless to me. Short distance sprinting (especially the 1 and most of the 2) is primarily anaerobic, so even your SE days for those would be maybe a 150-160 and 250-300, respectively (a little more leeway on the 200, though). Even if you ran the 4, you typically wouldn't run distances >600 for your SE days. And you would still be running those at a record mile or 3k pace. Granted, a mile isn't that much of an effector in the grand scheme of things, but from a performance standpoint, you don't want any more extra stress than is absolutely vital. And as far as endurance goes, you will get it through speed/special endurance runs as well as tempo training (if you know anything about Charlie Francis, he was a big advocate of tempo)

I know your coach wants you to go long to short, so there's not much you can do about it, but if you could convince him otherwise, I feel it might be the better approach.

As far as running goes, though, those hill sprints are a good idea from a technique standpoint. They force you to adopt a lower shin angle, so even if you pop your hips at the beginning, your mechanics won't be affected as much. Also, they limit your top speed, so even though it might be a high-intensity hill day, the overall intensity of training is still lower than a top end day on flat ground. You can also pull a sled if the weather prevents you from doing hills.

If you were to adopt short to long, the first few weeks of training would involve quite a few short hill sprints (10-20m repeats with semi-full recovery between runs) to emphasize the start before moving on to more acceleration and top speed work. As far as the athletes we work with (bobsled and skeleton), they have a similar profile to a 100 runner, so their top distance during speed work is 40-60m. The only time they would achieve 100+ would be on SE days, and 160m is pretty much the limit for total volume. It may sound crazy at the moment, but we've seen some amazing results with our athletes over the last 10 months.

Still, it's ultimately up to you. If your hands are tied, just try to control the volume the best you can to prevent too much fatigue from building up.

mrswe24

Awards
Gotcha. Well, my big beef with long to short is that mechanics of the long races aren't the same as the mechanics of the 1&2. You aren't moving at the same velocities, which in turn, affects your gait and stride. I feel it's more beneficial to move at higher velocities early to allow you to observe form issues and have a longer time to work on them (there are other reasons for short to long, but we'll keep it brief for now).

Regardless, running 800m-3200m in one stretch seems pointless to me. Short distance sprinting (especially the 1 and most of the 2) is primarily anaerobic, so even your SE days for those would be maybe a 150-160 and 250-300, respectively (a little more leeway on the 200, though). Even if you ran the 4, you typically wouldn't run distances >600 for your SE days. And you would still be running those at a record mile or 3k pace. Granted, a mile isn't that much of an effector in the grand scheme of things, but from a performance standpoint, you don't want any more extra stress than is absolutely vital. And as far as endurance goes, you will get it through speed/special endurance runs as well as tempo training (if you know anything about Charlie Francis, he was a big advocate of tempo)

I know your coach wants you to go long to short, so there's not much you can do about it, but if you could convince him otherwise, I feel it might be the better approach.

As far as running goes, though, those hill sprints are a good idea from a technique standpoint. They force you to adopt a lower shin angle, so even if you pop your hips at the beginning, your mechanics won't be affected as much. Also, they limit your top speed, so even though it might be a high-intensity hill day, the overall intensity of training is still lower than a top end day on flat ground. You can also pull a sled if the weather prevents you from doing hills.

If you were to adopt short to long, the first few weeks of training would involve quite a few short hill sprints (10-20m repeats with semi-full recovery between runs) to emphasize the start before moving on to more acceleration and top speed work. As far as the athletes we work with (bobsled and skeleton), they have a similar profile to a 100 runner, so their top distance during speed work is 40-60m. The only time they would achieve 100+ would be on SE days, and 160m is pretty much the limit for total volume. It may sound crazy at the moment, but we've seen some amazing results with our athletes over the last 10 months.

Still, it's ultimately up to you. If your hands are tied, just try to control the volume the best you can to prevent too much fatigue from building up.
Thanks for the info. I'd rather do it the way your talking about. I do have a sled at home and at practice my coach has me do stairs/sled daily.

DerekN

Awards
I just got done with week 3 of SL 5x5. I am curious if any of you have an recommendations for adding cardio to my routine. When should I do it, and how much? I have a heavy bag I love to hit but I've stayed away from it recently because everytime I start hitting it on a regular basis I find myself getting over-trained and exhausted so I've cut it out to focus purely on strength. Being only 3 days a week I have the itch to do more, but I don't want to sacrifice strength gains and recovery to do it. I'm doing SL 5x5 Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I'm thinking I could do a tough HIIT session on Saturdays. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I'm also on a MWF schedule. I've just been doing 10-15 hillsprints on my off days.

cisco_trooper

Awards
I just added the heavy bag back to my routine yesterday. I'm going to go for about 20 minutes of HIIT with it on my Squat/Bench/Row days at the end of the workout. I figure the additional training load will be factored into the 5x5 by way of me failing to complete the 5x5. Worse case scenario unless I'm missing something is that I'll be going to 3x5 a little bit sooner. Best case scenario is the high intensity cardio and force driven nature of the heavy back has some sort of positive impact on the Bench/Rows. Either way the cardio is too important for overall health to not work it in and I feel like this is a good way to do it. I'm going to try it for a while and see what happens. Now, I just need to find some cardio for the Squat/Press/Deadlift days. I don't want to overdo the heavy bag so I'd like to find something else that will work on the Squat/Press/Deadlift days.

Thoughts from someone bigger, badder, and stronger than me who actually employs cardio in their training?

mrswe24

Awards
2nd week is finished. My lifts are improving fast. But on the stronglifts program it only has you deadlift once. Would it be okay to do more than once? That's my only lift I fill like its not improving.

mrswe24

Awards
I just added the heavy bag back to my routine yesterday. I'm going to go for about 20 minutes of HIIT with it on my Squat/Bench/Row days at the end of the workout. I figure the additional training load will be factored into the 5x5 by way of me failing to complete the 5x5. Worse case scenario unless I'm missing something is that I'll be going to 3x5 a little bit sooner. Best case scenario is the high intensity cardio and force driven nature of the heavy back has some sort of positive impact on the Bench/Rows. Either way the cardio is too important for overall health to not work it in and I feel like this is a good way to do it. I'm going to try it for a while and see what happens. Now, I just need to find some cardio for the Squat/Press/Deadlift days. I don't want to overdo the heavy bag so I'd like to find something else that will work on the Squat/Press/Deadlift days.

Thoughts from someone bigger, badder, and stronger than me who actually employs cardio in their training?
I do plyo/agility drills they help me. Always jump rope is something easy that I do if I don't feel like running.

Stovetop535

Awards
What exactly is your weight/reps/sets for the deads in your current 5x5?

mrswe24

Awards
What exactly is your weight/reps/sets for the deads in your current 5x5?
Sorry for the late reply I haven't checked my feed in awhile. I did the program for a month then I started track and it was too hard on my body being a sprinter. But in that month I saw great results. I plan to continue it after track season. By during that month I was just doing 345 on deadlift 1set of 5. That's what the stronglifts app called for on the iPhone.

Go Away

Go Away

Awards
That's dope 5x5 has an app. Just downloaded it. Looking to work some powerlifting programs this summer.