trying to powerlift, help please

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey im 19 and 181lbs as of monday.
I want to compete in meets and i know my total is to low to ever win.
My current 3 rep maxes are
Bench-245
Squat-350
Deadlift-445
I was doing bodybuilding for about 1.5 years strictly and i just started switching over to powerlifting 5 monthes ago.
I tried a convential westside routine and became very overtrained and lost 5lbs of muscle...started at 190 went to 185.
Then i tried westside barbell for skinny guys v3, figuring a natural could handle this load, lost another 5lbs of size, my back is smaller and so are my arms.
So i figured i try more of a powerbuilding routine i made myself.
Here is the layout:
2 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off...i may be taking an extra day off here or there bc of work and school or to simply rest.
Push/Pull/Legs Split
Workout A-Max Effort Push
Workout A-Rep Effort Pull
Workout A-Max Effort Legs
Workout B-Rep Effort Push
Workout B-Max Effort Pull
Workout B-Rep Effort Legs
Push
Max Effort ALT w/ Rep Effort Lift
3 sets 3-5 reps, 2>90%, 1 100% ALT w/ 3 sets Max reps (15-25 reps)
Supplimental Lift
2 sets Max Reps (15-20 reps) ALT w/ 3 sets 8-12 reps
Delt Compound Lift
3 sets 8-12 reps
Heavy Tris Lift
3 sets 8-12 reps
Rep Tris Lift
2 sets 15-25 reps
Rep Delts Lift
3 sets 10-20 reps
Pull
Rep Effort ALT w/ Mod Effort Lift
3 sets Max reps (15-25 reps) OR 3 sets 8-12 reps
Deadlift Variation (Only done on Max Effort Pull Days)
3 sets 3-5 reps, 2>90%, 1 100%
Verticle Pull Lift
3 sets 8-12 reps
Horizontal Pull/Rear Delt Superset
3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Shrugs/Elbow Flexer Superset
3-4 sets 8-15 reps
Grip/Forearms Work
2-3 sets, Various times, holds, reps
Legs
Max Effort ALT w/ Mod Effort Lift
3 sets 3-5 reps, 2>90%, 1 100% ALT w/ 3 sets 8-12 reps
Unilateral Lift ALT w/ Unilateral Lift w/ ADDED ROM
3 sets 6-12 reps ALT w/ 3 set 8-12 reps
Hamstring/Posterior Chain Lift
3 sets 8-12 reps
Quad Lift
2 sets 10-15 reps
Calves Lift
4 sets 15-20 reps
Abs
High Rep Abs Circuit ALT w/ Weighted Abs Work

Does this look like a solid routine for my goals of size/strength with progression of the big three in mind?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
If you lost weight on those other programs you simply weren't eating enough. That will often make a huge difference in the effectiveness of the program.
Your program looks like it could be OK, but I can't quite decipher all of it. With proper programming alternating between heavy days and rep days can work well. Just make sure you have a reasonable progression scheme and don't go to absolute failure on the rep days. You can do the higher reps, just stop the set with a rep or two in the tank. You get about 99% of the benefits, but is a bit easier to recovery from.
I think a simplier approach would be to do 5/3/1 and choose assistance exercises that fit your needs. That combined with eating more.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
well in the westside routines it never mentioned not going to failure on any lifts except for the dynamic effort work...so you think i could maybe stick to westside and try to not hit failure all the time on rep days and eat more and id be ok?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
also the idea behind what i picked was to hit each workout every 5 days and switch between trying to pr on 3 rep maxes and pr on rep workouts, it allows for more rest i feel.
I looked into 5/3/1....it looks good except the accessory work is just anything? and there is a lot of rest time time between each workout, looks like about 9 days?
I liked westside training and increased my lifts i just was looking for a change but similar to what i was doing kinda