Squat/Deadlifting Shoes???

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    The Neck's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,192
    Answers
    0

    Squat/Deadlifting Shoes???


    I was just curious as to what everyone's preference was? I currently use Nike wrestling shoes. Just wondering if there was anything thing out there, that might be a little more user friendly?


    The Neck
    PrimeNutrition.com > 20% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    10% Off Coupon Code = theneck

  2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    I recently made the switch to Chuck's. Best decision I've made in awhile. Are your shoes split-sole or a one-piece?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    The Neck's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,192
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I recently made the switch to Chuck's. Best decision I've made in awhile. Are your shoes split-sole or a one-piece?
    One-peice
    PrimeNutrition.com > 20% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    10% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    •   
       

  4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by The Neck View Post
    One-peice
    Those could work since it's a one-piece and it has a lot of ankle support as well. I've never attempted the big lifts in wrestling shoes. An easy way to tell if they're affecting your lifts is the sticking point. On deads, are you weak off the floor or the lock-out?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    The Neck's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,192
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Those could work since it's a one-piece and it has a lot of ankle support as well. I've never attempted the big lifts in wrestling shoes. An easy way to tell if they're affecting your lifts is the sticking point. On deads, are you weak off the floor or the lock-out?


    @ lock-out. And I'm extremely flat footed.
    PrimeNutrition.com > 20% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    10% Off Coupon Code = theneck
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by The Neck View Post
    @ lock-out. And I'm extremely flat footed.
    I'm also very flat-footed, so I feel your pain there. If you're weak at the lockout, then I'd say the shoes are doing their job and you're good. If you struggle off the floor, chances are it's the shoes messing up your burst at the bottom.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Answers
    0


    I deadlift in socks or suit slippers. If I am requited to wear some sort of shoe it is a high top chucks unlaced almost all hte way down. If I'm pulling sumo the laces are done.

    Squating chucks high tops laced up tight if squatting PL wide. Narrow stance New Balance cross trainers.

    I will say since I train at home now unless the garage is to cold I do everything barefoot no socks.
    ACSM-CPT
  8. Registered User
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    I deadlift in socks or suit slippers. If I am requited to wear some sort of shoe it is a high top chucks unlaced almost all hte way down. If I'm pulling sumo the laces are done.

    Squating chucks high tops laced up tight if squatting PL wide. Narrow stance New Balance cross trainers.

    I will say since I train at home now unless the garage is to cold I do everything barefoot no socks.
    I should mention also flat footed
    ACSM-CPT
  9. Registered User
    drewsky90's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    52
    Answers
    0


    vibram 5 fingers KSO trek shoes are nice as well if you like going barefoot + a little added comfort on ur feet..

    also doing daily things barefoot increases proper posture + returns your feets arches
  10. Registered User
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Answers
    0


    For wide stance SQ and DL I like chuck taylor's. For raw squatting with a narrower stance, I use an olympic weightlifting shoe with a small heel.
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post
    vibram 5 fingers KSO trek shoes are nice as well if you like going barefoot + a little added comfort on ur feet..

    also doing daily things barefoot increases proper posture + returns your feets arches
    Citation, please.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Registered User
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post
    vibram 5 fingers KSO trek shoes are nice as well if you like going barefoot + a little added comfort on ur feet..

    also doing daily things barefoot increases proper posture + returns your feets arches
    I've heard this repeated by many people as well. I've not seen any scientific evidence for this. Much of the "support" for the arches in the feet is due to bony structure and ligament support. If some of this structure has started to become compromised I'm not sure that strengthening the musculature can completely correct it.
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    I've heard this repeated by many people as well. I've not seen any scientific evidence for this. Much of the "support" for the arches in the feet is due to bony structure and ligament support. If some of this structure has started to become compromised I'm not sure that strengthening the musculature can completely correct it.
    It is akin to changing the shape of a muscle once it has fully matured.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Registered User
    drewsky90's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    52
    Answers
    0


    i believe over a consistent time period of proper posture the body will adapt to withstand the stress

    just throwing this out there, has anyone heard of prolotherapy?
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post
    i believe over a consistent time period of proper posture the body will adapt to withstand the stress

    just throwing this out there, has anyone heard of prolotherapy?
    That statement doesn't make any sense. If the body's posture is correct, then the amount of stress will be much less than it would be with improper posture.

    Also, prolotherapy pertains to connective tissue and not to actual muscle tissue. The foot and ankle complex is very, very unique in terms of how much one minor difference can change the dynamic of a person's gait.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Registered User
    The Neck's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,192
    Answers
    0


    Looks like Chucks & Wrestling shoes are preferred!
    PrimeNutrition.com > 20% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    10% Off Coupon Code = theneck
  17. Registered User
    qwerty33's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,984
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by The Neck View Post
    I was just curious as to what everyone's preference was? I currently use Nike wrestling shoes. Just wondering if there was anything thing out there, that might be a little more user friendly?


    The Neck
    wrestling shoes are good five fingers are best.
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_bikila_m.cfm
  18. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Will someone give me some actual citation as to how barefoot training is good for you?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. Registered User
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Will someone give me some actual citation as to how barefoot training is good for you?
    I dont really care about the "scientific reasons"

    here are mine though:
    When I was powerlifting I wanted to limit range of motion as much as I could a CM makes a difference hence pulling barefoot. I also found my body pulled better in the position.

    Why do I train kung fu barefoot. When I am first learning new things I can grip the ground better so to speak barefoot. When things are getting down to a better feel I switch over and train some in shoes to fit training for life. Also if I was ever to do a wushu match you are in barefoot.
    ACSM-CPT
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    I dont really care about the "scientific reasons"

    here are mine though:
    When I was powerlifting I wanted to limit range of motion as much as I could a CM makes a difference hence pulling barefoot. I also found my body pulled better in the position.

    Why do I train kung fu barefoot. When I am first learning new things I can grip the ground better so to speak barefoot. When things are getting down to a better feel I switch over and train some in shoes to fit training for life. Also if I was ever to do a wushu match you are in barefoot.
    If there's no evidence, then it's just more crap being spewed out as rhetoric. Nothing has plagued S&C like erroneous information.

    The kung fu training is a completely different argument. That's simply training appropriately for the environment.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Registered User
    struzik87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5
    Answers
    0


    i power lifted for four years and always wore adidas weightlifting shoes, dynamic-eleiko.com
  22. Registered User
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    If there's no evidence, then it's just more crap being spewed out as rhetoric. Nothing has plagued S&C like erroneous information.

    The kung fu training is a completely different argument. That's simply training appropriately for the environment.
    I believe it comes down to training for what you feel is right. It's basic math pulling 12 inches vs pulling 11.5 there is less to pull. I'll nitpick for a little less. The fact I pull better barefoot is up for discussion. Is the fact I pull better because of the missing space or because I pull barefoot I have no idea. I will say this I feel much more comfortable training barefoot. So maybe it is a mental thing I have no idea. It not something I will say oh everyone should do it. I don't really believe in a 100% everybody should mentality.
    ACSM-CPT
  23. Registered User
    The Neck's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,192
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty33 View Post
    wrestling shoes are good five fingers are best.
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_bikila_m.cfm
    Well, I just ordered a pair, for a c-note I figured it would be worth a try. I'll report back accordingly. They do look goofier than $hit, I must add!!!
    PrimeNutrition.com > 20% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    10% Off Coupon Code = theneck
  24. Registered User
    Turk1976's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Age
    38
    Posts
    143
    Answers
    0


    I have Five Fingers that I sometimes wear but if it's not too cold I lift barefoot.
  25. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,351
    Answers
    0


    I had vibrams and am extremely flat footed. They were a b!tch. Returned them. I stick to my wrestling shoes.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  26. Registered User
    2k1s's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,149
    Answers
    0


    my feet have no arch whatsoever. I also have never considered shoe choice as something that would hamper my strength or my form. I guess I'll try lifting in some chucks.
  27. Registered User
    crux's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    40
    Posts
    46
    Answers
    0


    I love training in my Vibram 5 Fingers. Especially deads
  28. Registered User
    drewsky90's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    52
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    If there's no evidence, then it's just more crap being spewed out as rhetoric. Nothing has plagued S&C like erroneous information.

    The kung fu training is a completely different argument. That's simply training appropriately for the environment.
    idk what your deal is.. most shoes nowadays cause heel striking which is def bad for youre posterior chain..

    yu dont need scientific evidence to understand that if you have good feet you can train barefoot and have comfort+preformance.. its merely common sense positive comfort > science

    for the flat feet you can reshape by orthestotics (typo) or things such as golf ball rolling or yoga.. the body will right itself given time and consistency
  29. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post
    idk what your deal is.. most shoes nowadays cause heel striking which is def bad for youre posterior chain..

    yu dont need scientific evidence to understand that if you have good feet you can train barefoot and have comfort+preformance.. its merely common sense positive comfort > science

    for the flat feet you can reshape by orthestotics (typo) or things such as golf ball rolling or yoga.. the body will right itself given time and consistency
    After a certain age, you cannot reshape the fascia of the foot. There is not a universal shoe that can be used in all situations despite what marketing schemes are out there will tell you. Train appropriately for your environment and you'll be fine.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  30. Registered User
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,481
    Answers
    0


    surprised noone mentioned Do-wins here
  31. Registered User
    drewsky90's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    52
    Answers
    0


    well thats a good opinion, but i dont see scientific evidence for why once you hit 40 your arches are doomed

    people under age of 25 suffer from plantar fasciitis but there are stretches and therapy to redevelop the arch and reduce heel pain
  32. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post
    well thats a good opinion, but i dont see scientific evidence for why once you hit 40 your arches are doomed

    people under age of 25 suffer from plantar fasciitis but there are stretches and therapy to redevelop the arch and reduce heel pain
    First you say to ignore a lack of scientific evidence and then you ask for it? Seems like you're just set on an opinion without any merit. You honestly expect to be able to reshape tendons, ligaments, and bones past youth? If so, then you're just a fool.

    Plantar fasciitis is a condition that is not well understood. Usually, it is caused by improper support and/or excessive weight, but there are a myriad of factors that play into this.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  33. Registered User
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,268
    Answers
    0


    chuck taylors or socks for me
  34. Registered User
    drewsky90's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    52
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    First you say to ignore a lack of scientific evidence and then you ask for it? Seems like you're just set on an opinion without any merit. You honestly expect to be able to reshape tendons, ligaments, and bones past youth? If so, then you're just a fool.

    Plantar fasciitis is a condition that is not well understood. Usually, it is caused by improper support and/or excessive weight, but there are a myriad of factors that play into this.

    i dont think you understand many things, its ok though. the body can and will change under enough duress and consistency.. just have to put your mind into it and it will happen.. change is not for the weak minded
  35. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post
    i dont think you understand many things, its ok though. the body can and will change under enough duress and consistency.. just have to put your mind into it and it will happen.. change is not for the weak minded
    Thank you for enlightening me about Wolff's and Davis' Law. I'm already well aware about the bodies ability to adapt in both bone and connective tissue.

    I clearly don't understand how this works. The Master's degree and CSCS clearly indicate that I lack knowledge in the field...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  36. Registered User
    drewsky90's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    52
    Answers
    0


    [QUOTE=Rodja;2676632]Thank you for enlightening me about Wolff's and Davis' Law. I'm already well aware about the bodies ability to adapt in both bone and connective tissue.QUOTE]

    problem is i didnt even study those two, i just use my common sense and experience
  37. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post

    problem is i didnt even study those two, i just use my common sense and experience
    That's pretty arrogant of you. Arguing with a practitioner when you admittedly have no basis for your position. Clearly, your opinion > science.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  38. Registered User
    machwon04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    180
    Answers
    0


    Rodja, did you take a look at the Diesel shoes in my thread below? Maybe you haven't seen them in person, but maybe you can tell by the shape if they'd be a good shoe to at least try? I've just been using a Puma with a fairly flat sole. I'm wanting to get a little ankle support as I near the 400 lb DL mark with my chicken legs though.
  39. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,119
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by machwon04 View Post
    Rodja, did you take a look at the Diesel shoes in my thread below? Maybe you haven't seen them in person, but maybe you can tell by the shape if they'd be a good shoe to at least try? I've just been using a Puma with a fairly flat sole. I'm wanting to get a little ankle support as I near the 400 lb DL mark with my chicken legs though.
    I didn't look at it. Link?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  40. Registered User
    machwon04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    180
    Answers
    0
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How do you guys feel about deadlifting in the squat rack?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
  2. good squat shoes? help a brother out
    By AntonG42O in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 06:50 PM
  3. no shoes when deadlifting?
    By LiLShAnK357 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in