1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Squat/Deadlifting Shoes???

I was just curious as to what everyone's preference was? I currently use Nike wrestling shoes. Just wondering if there was anything thing out there, that might be a little more user friendly?

The Neck
    PrimeNutrition.com > 20% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    10% Off Coupon Code = theneck

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I recently made the switch to Chuck's. Best decision I've made in awhile. Are your shoes split-sole or a one-piece?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I recently made the switch to Chuck's. Best decision I've made in awhile. Are your shoes split-sole or a one-piece?
    One-peice
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by The Neck View Post
    One-peice
    Those could work since it's a one-piece and it has a lot of ankle support as well. I've never attempted the big lifts in wrestling shoes. An easy way to tell if they're affecting your lifts is the sticking point. On deads, are you weak off the floor or the lock-out?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Those could work since it's a one-piece and it has a lot of ankle support as well. I've never attempted the big lifts in wrestling shoes. An easy way to tell if they're affecting your lifts is the sticking point. On deads, are you weak off the floor or the lock-out?

@ lock-out. And I'm extremely flat footed.
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

@ lock-out. And I'm extremely flat footed.
    I'm also very flat-footed, so I feel your pain there. If you're weak at the lockout, then I'd say the shoes are doing their job and you're good. If you struggle off the floor, chances are it's the shoes messing up your burst at the bottom.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.16%

I deadlift in socks or suit slippers. If I am requited to wear some sort of shoe it is a high top chucks unlaced almost all hte way down. If I'm pulling sumo the laces are done.

Squating chucks high tops laced up tight if squatting PL wide. Narrow stance New Balance cross trainers.

I will say since I train at home now unless the garage is to cold I do everything barefoot no socks.
    ACSM-CPT
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.16%

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    I deadlift in socks or suit slippers. If I am requited to wear some sort of shoe it is a high top chucks unlaced almost all hte way down. If I'm pulling sumo the laces are done.

Squating chucks high tops laced up tight if squatting PL wide. Narrow stance New Balance cross trainers.

I will say since I train at home now unless the garage is to cold I do everything barefoot no socks.
    I should mention also flat footed
    ACSM-CPT
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.7%

vibram 5 fingers KSO trek shoes are nice as well if you like going barefoot + a little added comfort on ur feet..

also doing daily things barefoot increases proper posture + returns your feets arches
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.03%

For wide stance SQ and DL I like chuck taylor's. For raw squatting with a narrower stance, I use an olympic weightlifting shoe with a small heel.
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post
    vibram 5 fingers KSO trek shoes are nice as well if you like going barefoot + a little added comfort on ur feet..

also doing daily things barefoot increases proper posture + returns your feets arches
    Citation, please.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.03%

I've heard this repeated by many people as well. I've not seen any scientific evidence for this. Much of the "support" for the arches in the feet is due to bony structure and ligament support. If some of this structure has started to become compromised I'm not sure that strengthening the musculature can completely correct it.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    I've heard this repeated by many people as well. I've not seen any scientific evidence for this. Much of the "support" for the arches in the feet is due to bony structure and ligament support. If some of this structure has started to become compromised I'm not sure that strengthening the musculature can completely correct it.
    It is akin to changing the shape of a muscle once it has fully matured.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.7%

i believe over a consistent time period of proper posture the body will adapt to withstand the stress

just throwing this out there, has anyone heard of prolotherapy?
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

i believe over a consistent time period of proper posture the body will adapt to withstand the stress

just throwing this out there, has anyone heard of prolotherapy?
    That statement doesn't make any sense. If the body's posture is correct, then the amount of stress will be much less than it would be with improper posture.

Also, prolotherapy pertains to connective tissue and not to actual muscle tissue. The foot and ankle complex is very, very unique in terms of how much one minor difference can change the dynamic of a person's gait.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Looks like Chucks & Wrestling shoes are preferred!
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I was just curious as to what everyone's preference was? I currently use Nike wrestling shoes. Just wondering if there was anything thing out there, that might be a little more user friendly?

The Neck
    wrestling shoes are good five fingers are best.
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_bikila_m.cfm
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

Will someone give me some actual citation as to how barefoot training is good for you?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.16%

Will someone give me some actual citation as to how barefoot training is good for you?
    I dont really care about the "scientific reasons"

here are mine though:
    When I was powerlifting I wanted to limit range of motion as much as I could a CM makes a difference hence pulling barefoot. I also found my body pulled better in the position.

Why do I train kung fu barefoot. When I am first learning new things I can grip the ground better so to speak barefoot. When things are getting down to a better feel I switch over and train some in shoes to fit training for life. Also if I was ever to do a wushu match you are in barefoot.
    ACSM-CPT
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    I dont really care about the "scientific reasons"

here are mine though:
    When I was powerlifting I wanted to limit range of motion as much as I could a CM makes a difference hence pulling barefoot. I also found my body pulled better in the position.

Why do I train kung fu barefoot. When I am first learning new things I can grip the ground better so to speak barefoot. When things are getting down to a better feel I switch over and train some in shoes to fit training for life. Also if I was ever to do a wushu match you are in barefoot.
    If there's no evidence, then it's just more crap being spewed out as rhetoric. Nothing has plagued S&C like erroneous information.

The kung fu training is a completely different argument. That's simply training appropriately for the environment.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27%

i power lifted for four years and always wore adidas weightlifting shoes, dynamic-eleiko.com
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.16%

If there's no evidence, then it's just more crap being spewed out as rhetoric. Nothing has plagued S&C like erroneous information.

The kung fu training is a completely different argument. That's simply training appropriately for the environment.
    I believe it comes down to training for what you feel is right. It's basic math pulling 12 inches vs pulling 11.5 there is less to pull. I'll nitpick for a little less. The fact I pull better barefoot is up for discussion. Is the fact I pull better because of the missing space or because I pull barefoot I have no idea. I will say this I feel much more comfortable training barefoot. So maybe it is a mental thing I have no idea. It not something I will say oh everyone should do it. I don't really believe in a 100% everybody should mentality.
    ACSM-CPT
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty33 View Post
    wrestling shoes are good five fingers are best.
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_bikila_m.cfm
    Well, I just ordered a pair, for a c-note I figured it would be worth a try. I'll report back accordingly. They do look goofier than $hit, I must add!!!
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.91%

I have Five Fingers that I sometimes wear but if it's not too cold I lift barefoot.
  25. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.26%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I had vibrams and am extremely flat footed. They were a b!tch. Returned them. I stick to my wrestling shoes.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.39%
    Achievements Posting Pro

my feet have no arch whatsoever. I also have never considered shoe choice as something that would hamper my strength or my form. I guess I'll try lifting in some chucks.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.95%

I love training in my Vibram 5 Fingers. Especially deads
  28. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.7%

idk what your deal is.. most shoes nowadays cause heel striking which is def bad for youre posterior chain..

yu dont need scientific evidence to understand that if you have good feet you can train barefoot and have comfort+preformance.. its merely common sense positive comfort > science

for the flat feet you can reshape by orthestotics (typo) or things such as golf ball rolling or yoga.. the body will right itself given time and consistency
  29. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

idk what your deal is.. most shoes nowadays cause heel striking which is def bad for youre posterior chain..

yu dont need scientific evidence to understand that if you have good feet you can train barefoot and have comfort+preformance.. its merely common sense positive comfort > science

for the flat feet you can reshape by orthestotics (typo) or things such as golf ball rolling or yoga.. the body will right itself given time and consistency
    After a certain age, you cannot reshape the fascia of the foot. There is not a universal shoe that can be used in all situations despite what marketing schemes are out there will tell you. Train appropriately for your environment and you'll be fine.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

surprised noone mentioned Do-wins here
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.7%

well thats a good opinion, but i dont see scientific evidence for why once you hit 40 your arches are doomed

people under age of 25 suffer from plantar fasciitis but there are stretches and therapy to redevelop the arch and reduce heel pain
  32. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

well thats a good opinion, but i dont see scientific evidence for why once you hit 40 your arches are doomed

people under age of 25 suffer from plantar fasciitis but there are stretches and therapy to redevelop the arch and reduce heel pain
    First you say to ignore a lack of scientific evidence and then you ask for it? Seems like you're just set on an opinion without any merit. You honestly expect to be able to reshape tendons, ligaments, and bones past youth? If so, then you're just a fool.

Plantar fasciitis is a condition that is not well understood. Usually, it is caused by improper support and/or excessive weight, but there are a myriad of factors that play into this.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

chuck taylors or socks for me
  34. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.7%

First you say to ignore a lack of scientific evidence and then you ask for it? Seems like you're just set on an opinion without any merit. You honestly expect to be able to reshape tendons, ligaments, and bones past youth? If so, then you're just a fool.

Plantar fasciitis is a condition that is not well understood. Usually, it is caused by improper support and/or excessive weight, but there are a myriad of factors that play into this.

i dont think you understand many things, its ok though. the body can and will change under enough duress and consistency.. just have to put your mind into it and it will happen.. change is not for the weak minded
  35. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

i dont think you understand many things, its ok though. the body can and will change under enough duress and consistency.. just have to put your mind into it and it will happen.. change is not for the weak minded
    Thank you for enlightening me about Wolff's and Davis' Law. I'm already well aware about the bodies ability to adapt in both bone and connective tissue.

I clearly don't understand how this works. The Master's degree and CSCS clearly indicate that I lack knowledge in the field...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.7%

[QUOTE=Rodja;2676632]Thank you for enlightening me about Wolff's and Davis' Law. I'm already well aware about the bodies ability to adapt in both bone and connective tissue.QUOTE]

problem is i didnt even study those two, i just use my common sense and experience
  37. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

problem is i didnt even study those two, i just use my common sense and experience
    That's pretty arrogant of you. Arguing with a practitioner when you admittedly have no basis for your position. Clearly, your opinion > science.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.66%

Rodja, did you take a look at the Diesel shoes in my thread below? Maybe you haven't seen them in person, but maybe you can tell by the shape if they'd be a good shoe to at least try? I've just been using a Puma with a fairly flat sole. I'm wanting to get a little ankle support as I near the 400 lb DL mark with my chicken legs though.
  39. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

Quote Originally Posted by machwon04 View Post
    Rodja, did you take a look at the Diesel shoes in my thread below? Maybe you haven't seen them in person, but maybe you can tell by the shape if they'd be a good shoe to at least try? I've just been using a Puma with a fairly flat sole. I'm wanting to get a little ankle support as I near the 400 lb DL mark with my chicken legs though.
    I didn't look at it. Link?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.66%

Similar Forum Threads

1. How do you guys feel about deadlifting in the squat rack?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 12:24 PM
  2. good squat shoes? help a brother out
    By AntonG42O in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 07:50 PM
  3. no shoes when deadlifting?
    By LiLShAnK357 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 05:39 PM