Squat/Deadlifting Shoes???

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
I was just curious as to what everyone's preference was? I currently use Nike wrestling shoes. Just wondering if there was anything thing out there, that might be a little more user friendly?

The Neck

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I recently made the switch to Chuck's. Best decision I've made in awhile. Are your shoes split-sole or a one-piece?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One-peice
Those could work since it's a one-piece and it has a lot of ankle support as well. I've never attempted the big lifts in wrestling shoes. An easy way to tell if they're affecting your lifts is the sticking point. On deads, are you weak off the floor or the lock-out?

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
Those could work since it's a one-piece and it has a lot of ankle support as well. I've never attempted the big lifts in wrestling shoes. An easy way to tell if they're affecting your lifts is the sticking point. On deads, are you weak off the floor or the lock-out?

@ lock-out. And I'm extremely flat footed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
@ lock-out. And I'm extremely flat footed.
I'm also very flat-footed, so I feel your pain there. If you're weak at the lockout, then I'd say the shoes are doing their job and you're good. If you struggle off the floor, chances are it's the shoes messing up your burst at the bottom.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I deadlift in socks or suit slippers. If I am requited to wear some sort of shoe it is a high top chucks unlaced almost all hte way down. If I'm pulling sumo the laces are done.

Squating chucks high tops laced up tight if squatting PL wide. Narrow stance New Balance cross trainers.

I will say since I train at home now unless the garage is to cold I do everything barefoot no socks.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I deadlift in socks or suit slippers. If I am requited to wear some sort of shoe it is a high top chucks unlaced almost all hte way down. If I'm pulling sumo the laces are done.

Squating chucks high tops laced up tight if squatting PL wide. Narrow stance New Balance cross trainers.

I will say since I train at home now unless the garage is to cold I do everything barefoot no socks.
I should mention also flat footed

drewsky90

Awards
vibram 5 fingers KSO trek shoes are nice as well if you like going barefoot + a little added comfort on ur feet..

also doing daily things barefoot increases proper posture + returns your feets arches

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
For wide stance SQ and DL I like chuck taylor's. For raw squatting with a narrower stance, I use an olympic weightlifting shoe with a small heel.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
vibram 5 fingers KSO trek shoes are nice as well if you like going barefoot + a little added comfort on ur feet..

also doing daily things barefoot increases proper posture + returns your feets arches
Citation, please.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established

I've heard this repeated by many people as well. I've not seen any scientific evidence for this. Much of the "support" for the arches in the feet is due to bony structure and ligament support. If some of this structure has started to become compromised I'm not sure that strengthening the musculature can completely correct it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've heard this repeated by many people as well. I've not seen any scientific evidence for this. Much of the "support" for the arches in the feet is due to bony structure and ligament support. If some of this structure has started to become compromised I'm not sure that strengthening the musculature can completely correct it.
It is akin to changing the shape of a muscle once it has fully matured.

drewsky90

Awards
i believe over a consistent time period of proper posture the body will adapt to withstand the stress

just throwing this out there, has anyone heard of prolotherapy?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i believe over a consistent time period of proper posture the body will adapt to withstand the stress

just throwing this out there, has anyone heard of prolotherapy?
That statement doesn't make any sense. If the body's posture is correct, then the amount of stress will be much less than it would be with improper posture.

Also, prolotherapy pertains to connective tissue and not to actual muscle tissue. The foot and ankle complex is very, very unique in terms of how much one minor difference can change the dynamic of a person's gait.

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
Looks like Chucks & Wrestling shoes are preferred!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will someone give me some actual citation as to how barefoot training is good for you?

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Will someone give me some actual citation as to how barefoot training is good for you?
I dont really care about the "scientific reasons"

here are mine though:
When I was powerlifting I wanted to limit range of motion as much as I could a CM makes a difference hence pulling barefoot. I also found my body pulled better in the position.

Why do I train kung fu barefoot. When I am first learning new things I can grip the ground better so to speak barefoot. When things are getting down to a better feel I switch over and train some in shoes to fit training for life. Also if I was ever to do a wushu match you are in barefoot.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont really care about the "scientific reasons"

here are mine though:
When I was powerlifting I wanted to limit range of motion as much as I could a CM makes a difference hence pulling barefoot. I also found my body pulled better in the position.

Why do I train kung fu barefoot. When I am first learning new things I can grip the ground better so to speak barefoot. When things are getting down to a better feel I switch over and train some in shoes to fit training for life. Also if I was ever to do a wushu match you are in barefoot.
If there's no evidence, then it's just more crap being spewed out as rhetoric. Nothing has plagued S&C like erroneous information.

The kung fu training is a completely different argument. That's simply training appropriately for the environment.

struzik87

struzik87

Awards
i power lifted for four years and always wore adidas weightlifting shoes, dynamic-eleiko.com

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
If there's no evidence, then it's just more crap being spewed out as rhetoric. Nothing has plagued S&C like erroneous information.

The kung fu training is a completely different argument. That's simply training appropriately for the environment.
I believe it comes down to training for what you feel is right. It's basic math pulling 12 inches vs pulling 11.5 there is less to pull. I'll nitpick for a little less. The fact I pull better barefoot is up for discussion. Is the fact I pull better because of the missing space or because I pull barefoot I have no idea. I will say this I feel much more comfortable training barefoot. So maybe it is a mental thing I have no idea. It not something I will say oh everyone should do it. I don't really believe in a 100% everybody should mentality.

Turk1976

Awards
I have Five Fingers that I sometimes wear but if it's not too cold I lift barefoot.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had vibrams and am extremely flat footed. They were a b!tch. Returned them. I stick to my wrestling shoes.

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
my feet have no arch whatsoever. I also have never considered shoe choice as something that would hamper my strength or my form. I guess I'll try lifting in some chucks.

crux

Awards
I love training in my Vibram 5 Fingers. Especially deads

drewsky90

Awards

idk what your deal is.. most shoes nowadays cause heel striking which is def bad for youre posterior chain..

yu dont need scientific evidence to understand that if you have good feet you can train barefoot and have comfort+preformance.. its merely common sense positive comfort > science

for the flat feet you can reshape by orthestotics (typo) or things such as golf ball rolling or yoga.. the body will right itself given time and consistency

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
idk what your deal is.. most shoes nowadays cause heel striking which is def bad for youre posterior chain..

yu dont need scientific evidence to understand that if you have good feet you can train barefoot and have comfort+preformance.. its merely common sense positive comfort > science

for the flat feet you can reshape by orthestotics (typo) or things such as golf ball rolling or yoga.. the body will right itself given time and consistency
After a certain age, you cannot reshape the fascia of the foot. There is not a universal shoe that can be used in all situations despite what marketing schemes are out there will tell you. Train appropriately for your environment and you'll be fine.

drewsky90

Awards
well thats a good opinion, but i dont see scientific evidence for why once you hit 40 your arches are doomed

people under age of 25 suffer from plantar fasciitis but there are stretches and therapy to redevelop the arch and reduce heel pain

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well thats a good opinion, but i dont see scientific evidence for why once you hit 40 your arches are doomed

people under age of 25 suffer from plantar fasciitis but there are stretches and therapy to redevelop the arch and reduce heel pain
First you say to ignore a lack of scientific evidence and then you ask for it? Seems like you're just set on an opinion without any merit. You honestly expect to be able to reshape tendons, ligaments, and bones past youth? If so, then you're just a fool.

Plantar fasciitis is a condition that is not well understood. Usually, it is caused by improper support and/or excessive weight, but there are a myriad of factors that play into this.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
chuck taylors or socks for me :)

drewsky90

Awards
First you say to ignore a lack of scientific evidence and then you ask for it? Seems like you're just set on an opinion without any merit. You honestly expect to be able to reshape tendons, ligaments, and bones past youth? If so, then you're just a fool.

Plantar fasciitis is a condition that is not well understood. Usually, it is caused by improper support and/or excessive weight, but there are a myriad of factors that play into this.

i dont think you understand many things, its ok though. the body can and will change under enough duress and consistency.. just have to put your mind into it and it will happen.. change is not for the weak minded

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont think you understand many things, its ok though. the body can and will change under enough duress and consistency.. just have to put your mind into it and it will happen.. change is not for the weak minded
Thank you for enlightening me about Wolff's and Davis' Law. I'm already well aware about the bodies ability to adapt in both bone and connective tissue.

I clearly don't understand how this works. The Master's degree and CSCS clearly indicate that I lack knowledge in the field...

drewsky90

Awards
Thank you for enlightening me about Wolff's and Davis' Law. I'm already well aware about the bodies ability to adapt in both bone and connective tissue.QUOTE]

problem is i didnt even study those two, i just use my common sense and experience

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
problem is i didnt even study those two, i just use my common sense and experience
That's pretty arrogant of you. Arguing with a practitioner when you admittedly have no basis for your position. Clearly, your opinion > science. :lol:

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Rodja, did you take a look at the Diesel shoes in my thread below? Maybe you haven't seen them in person, but maybe you can tell by the shape if they'd be a good shoe to at least try? I've just been using a Puma with a fairly flat sole. I'm wanting to get a little ankle support as I near the 400 lb DL mark with my chicken legs though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja, did you take a look at the Diesel shoes in my thread below? Maybe you haven't seen them in person, but maybe you can tell by the shape if they'd be a good shoe to at least try? I've just been using a Puma with a fairly flat sole. I'm wanting to get a little ankle support as I near the 400 lb DL mark with my chicken legs though.
I didn't look at it. Link?

drewsky90

Awards
That's pretty arrogant of you. Arguing with a practitioner when you admittedly have no basis for your position. Clearly, your opinion > science. :lol:
ya apparently jesus is too :gives:

good talk

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
surprised noone mentioned Do-wins here
Do-Wins are a great cheap oly shoe, very high heel though. I had a custom pair of Adidas that set me back over 300 dollars after all the custom work with an even higher heel. Werksan makes a cheap pair as well, but I have found that the Chinese do make at least one quality product and that is the Do-Win.

By the way, everyone is different, and it's very hard to determine which shoe is proper without seeing your bio-mechanics. I prefer a high heel with no absorption/cushioning ala oly shoes, it helps with my flexibility in the lower part of the lift. Someone who prefers no heel should opt for what Rodja has recommended, the two commonalities here are a shoe without any absorption/cushioning so you can use all the force from the floor, as well as balance issues.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I got a pair of Nike blazers. They are exactly converse all stars but where on sale. When I squat I must have completely flat soled shoes or my knees and hips end up really hurting. I canny explain the physics of it but I learned flat soled shoes work best for me. I tried barefoot and hated it! Maybe it's the way my feet are shaped but I didn't even get to heavy sets and my feet hurt real bad.

I have many many years of martial arts under my belt hapkido being my main focus and always trained barefoot, wore wrestling shoes wrestling. Tried to squat in wrestling shoes they where not to shabby just not my personal preference.

I agree with finding a shoe that suits the environment. I dont run in flat soled shoes, this discussion has come up time and again. And I always find it interesting.

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
BTW, I tried those Diesel shoes. Waay too much cushion. Taking them back and ordered a pair of chuck taylors off ebay.

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Anyone need a brand new pair of Chuck Taylors in size 12? I bought a pair of the "double upp" Chuck's on Ebay (they have two layers - better ankle support) but they are too long for me. I wore them for all of about 5 minutes. I threw the box away before I even tried them on, but I still even have the tag that comes on them. Great ankle support, just too big for me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone need a brand new pair of Chuck Taylors in size 12? I bought a pair of the "double upp" Chuck's on Ebay (they have two layers - better ankle support) but they are too long for me. I wore them for all of about 5 minutes. I threw the box away before I even tried them on, but I still even have the tag that comes on them. Great ankle support, just too big for me.
I know what you mean; I bought my Chuck's 1/2 size smaller so my feet wouldn't shift.