Gloves, Straps?

FAMOUSX1

Awards
Today i was at the gym and went a little hevier on my deadlift but I could only maybe crank out 2 due to bar slipping out of my hand. VERY VERY frustrating. What do you guys use to prevent this?
I was using gloves and I tried bare handed. No go.
Thanks!

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
I use these:

or those rubber coated gloves.

FAMOUSX1

Awards
Def going to invest in some straps.
Do you use them all the time or more for just powerlifting?

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
Only use them when I go above 315 in dead lift and wide grip lifts.

Its best to work the forearms to get use to the weight though. Generally I would only use straps if I want to crush the weight or try maxing my 1 rep max.

FAMOUSX1

Awards
forearms aren't the prob. My hands just get sweaty.

RAW LOCKOUT

Awards
If you want to improve grip strength use gloves most of the time

FAMOUSX1

Awards
Don't think they allow chalk.
Yes. I do use mixed grip.

carnivalhobo

Awards
bring a towel, dry your hands, this is a grip strength problem if they still slip in mixed grip.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Don't think they allow chalk.
Yes. I do use mixed grip.
**** them, sneak it in. Lifting weights and chalk go together like peanut butter and chocolate.
Also, do as many sets with a double overhand grip as possible, only switch to mixed grip once that gives out.

FAMOUSX1

Awards
Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm gonna go with some straps thou.
I think I have that condition where my hands and feet sweat a lot. I don't remember off hand what its called.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
First make sure you have chalk around. Then I would go with straps until your grip strength improves. Look into getting some captains of crush grippers they really improved my grip to the point where I can rack pull nearly 800 without straps.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
F straps & gloves, my wife uses gloves. Use chalk, if you're gym doesn't allow it, sneak it in. Just don't be obnoxious about it and clap it all over the place. You don't need much. Keep it in a gallon zip lock back and use it sparingly, wipe your hands together in the bag and wipe the bar down with a wet paper towel afterwards, along with any that may have gotten on the floor. I've been doing this for years at my gym that doesn't allow chalk and nobody's said a word.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
First make sure you have chalk around. Then I would go with straps until your grip strength improves. Look into getting some captains of crush grippers they really improved my grip to the point where I can rack pull nearly 800 without straps.
I don't agree that you should use straps until your grip strength improves. You should be doing everything without straps so that it does improve. Your grip won't get strong by not using it.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
Forget straps and gloves! If your gym doesn't allow chalk, my first suggestion would be to find a new gym. If that isn't an option, put some chalk in a small tuperware container and smuggle it in! Get the sand out of your vag and man up on that bar!

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Straps are fine and arguably a better solution if you are not a powerlifter that competes. The mixed grip can cause bicep tears. I would recommend straps if you are not competing.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
if you use gloves how is sweat a problem???!:dunno:

FAMOUSX1

Awards
if you use gloves how is sweat a problem???!:dunno:
that's what I asked myself. I don't think its a grip strength prob. Its like my hand was gonna slip out of the glove.

To everyone else. I'm gonna try some chalk. I am still going to buy some straps, they are only like $10 and good to have I think. Also, does anyone use wrist wraps to keep your wrists straight or do straps do the same thing?

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
I do use straps for shrugs (over 365) and SLDLs (<5 reps) just because I think a mixed grip on those can cause some twisting/torsion in your hips. And if you're prone to hip problems (like me) it will cause problems down the road. Otherwise I stay away from them on everything else. I even feel like a homo using them on that stuff, but I have to.

Another thing to consider. Find a guy at your gym who uses straps on everything and another who doesn't and compare their forearms. Nothing builds solid forearms like holding a heavy barbell. Not that bodybuilding, forearm 'belly' crap. I'm talking solid, strong forearms.

Glad to see you trying some chalk.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Strap up if you need to. Makes no sense to limit your back and leg development because you can't grip the bar. Proffesional toughman use straps. I use straps when I do reps and can still pull my max single when I want to. Use the straps. When your done deadlifting set the pins high in a rack and do a couple sets of static holds. Won't take long for your grip strength to catch up. I never use a mixed grip cause I'm not going to risk a bicep tear. I can pull 600 with a regular grip for one.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
me personally, i hate using gloves but last week when i was deadlifting the bar hurt my hands so bad just to hold on i had to wear them. like it hurt where my calluses are. this ever happen to anyone?

permanabol

Awards
me personally, i hate using gloves but last week when i was deadlifting the bar hurt my hands so bad just to hold on i had to wear them. like it hurt where my calluses are. this ever happen to anyone?
Yeah I just say "damn this hurts, but I ain't no p****" :whiner:
Not that I have anything against gloves but I wouldn't be seen in them :)

FAMOUSX1

Awards
No more gloves for me. But I did pick up some straps for deads and leg presses.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
straps for leg presss huh?

and btw.. using gloves on deadlift is dumb IMO use a mixed grip twist one grip one hand one way the other the other way...it will feel like ur twisting the bar to break it.. this will give u great grip strength.. you cant do this in gloves....

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
lol what? do you use the straps for chest and shoulders too?

i hope you hear the sarcasm

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
lol what? do you use the straps for chest and shoulders too?

i hope you hear the sarcasm
ive seen guys use straps for barbell curls pullups, dumbell curls haha queer if u ask me.

Janimba

Awards
I have the same prob hands tend to get alil sweaty...now this may sound ghetto as hell but i just wrap a spare towel around the bar and it makes it alot easier to grip the dam thing.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
straps for leg presss huh?

and btw.. using gloves on deadlift is dumb IMO use a mixed grip twist one grip one hand one way the other the other way...it will feel like ur twisting the bar to break it.. this will give u great grip strength.. you cant do this in gloves....
Mixed grip is dangerous. If the person is not a competing powerlifter using straps or hooks is the suitable option.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
Mixed grip is dangerous. If the person is not a competing powerlifter using straps or hooks is the suitable option.
I think a blanket statement like 'mixed grip is dangerous' is a little overboard. Yes, there is a higher likelyhood of a bicep tear using a mixed grip (less if you're using good technique). But thousands of guys use a mixed grip for heavy deadlifting year after year and never have a problem, other than a little elbow tendonitis of course.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I think a blanket statement like 'mixed grip is dangerous' is a little overboard. Yes, there is a higher likelyhood of a bicep tear using a mixed grip (less if you're using good technique). But thousands of guys use a mixed grip for heavy deadlifting year after year and never have a problem, other than a little elbow tendonitis of course.
You just contradicted yourself. Elbow tendonitis IS an injury. So yes, they do have a problem. You can eliminate this and progress much faster with straps or hooks.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
try straps they are not that much $. make up your mind.that is the only way you will know what works for you

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
i use chalk, wrist straps for heavy pressing movements, and versa grips for heavy pulling movements. Straps due lessen forearm strength for sure

for chalk, go to REI, but the rock climbing chalk bags. they are full of chalk and are small to carry around the gym in your pocket.

BaldwinBoy

Awards
The best grips I have found. Very inexpensive.

Try these things called Big Back Grips (I don't have enough posts to put the link in, but just Google Big Back Grips)
They really grab the bar, NO slipping even when I sweat. They are especially good on knurled bars, but they also grab the slippery enamel bars on the BodyMaster equipment. (Especially good when the rubber coating on the machine is torn, which is nearly always.)

I found them at Muscle Beach last summer, they had a booth. They're in a bunch of stores in LA but you can get them on their website too.

b2006

Awards
I dont like to use them but I like to just use straps to support my wrist + grip

dave12

Awards
  • Established
This is an old thread and I don't know if OP is still around and I'm surprised I only saw captains of crush mentioned once. Go to ironmind they have every stuff you need to help fix your grip.

www.ironmind.com

FAMOUSX1

Awards
Thanx for the link. Gonna check out those captains of crush

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ive gotten 430 mixed grip, 485 rack pull and my biceps are still fine.. Im sure thats not up to the weights you can move but being in the 180ish range i think thats pretty good never even felt bicep pain...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since nobody else mentioned them, I'll chime in. I use versa gripps

basically act as either gloves or straps/hooks depending on how you use the paddle part. Nice thing is that if you wear them loose at the wrist, they are easy to spin around so that the paddle part is on the back of your hand. Here is their site

http://www.versagripps.com/

I use em because i have thumb arthritis from being a software developer too long and too much time at a keyboard. So I don't have crap for grip due to that.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
ive gotten 430 mixed grip, 485 rack pull and my biceps are still fine.. Im sure thats not up to the weights you can move but being in the 180ish range i think thats pretty good never even felt bicep pain...
I can attest to the statement that a mixed grip is asking for trouble!

First off...when I train deadlift, I use straps for anything over 405...mixed grip up to that point. Deadlift and heavy bent over DB rows is all I use straps for. In my last strongman competition I was over/under handing my last deadlift, and sure enough popped my biceps tendon (distel). My grip was plenty strong...it was the biceps that gave out.

So, my advice is if you plan on competing, train the over/under grip all the time. If you don't...use straps. I think its just an overall safer option. There are other ways to train grip (FARMERS WALK!).

Naberious

Naberious

Awards
Since nobody else mentioned them, I'll chime in. I use versa gripps

basically act as either gloves or straps/hooks depending on how you use the paddle part. Nice thing is that if you wear them loose at the wrist, they are easy to spin around so that the paddle part is on the back of your hand. Here is their site

I use em because i have thumb arthritis from being a software developer too long and too much time at a keyboard. So I don't have crap for grip due to that.
I was going to say the same thing... I like them because I hate wearing gloves, and these serve the same purpose (keeping me from ripping the calluses off my hands) while also working as straps

cad05k

Awards
Straps can be clutch, just make sure to wash them. This may seem obvious, but ya can get ringworm from them if you dont! And this **** is just GROSS

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Straps can be clutch, just make sure to wash them. This may seem obvious, but ya can get ringworm from them if you dont! And this **** is just GROSS
Yet another reason to use chalk.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I can attest to the statement that a mixed grip is asking for trouble!

First off...when I train deadlift, I use straps for anything over 405...mixed grip up to that point. Deadlift and heavy bent over DB rows is all I use straps for. In my last strongman competition I was over/under handing my last deadlift, and sure enough popped my biceps tendon (distel). My grip was plenty strong...it was the biceps that gave out.

So, my advice is if you plan on competing, train the over/under grip all the time. If you don't...use straps. I think its just an overall safer option. There are other ways to train grip (FARMERS WALK!).
i want to do a competition bad! i usually pull singles for deadlift.. something starting at 275 after squats and work up to a max single in the 400s

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry but as soon as i see gloves on someone i think the worst of them, i don't care if they're a big dude, to me they're a big dude with a hand-modelling career who has a weak grip and is scared of callouses (which for manual self-evacuation of the scrotum are for your own satisfaction if you get my drift).

At the very worst, straps are excusable, just. I use liquid chalk and i've yet to reach a weight i can't handle with my own grip, maybe my grip's good or my wieghts are bad i don't know.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
I've never seen so much time spent talking over gloves, straps, etc. I said it earlier and I'll say it again...you're a MAN, act like it! Grab that barbell with your bare mits and hold on for dear life! I have really small hands and I have pulled 605 from the floor in competition and 755 out of the rack just below the knee...all without straps. If you use straps, ditch them. Your grip strength will catch up. It only took about a month for my grip strength to catch up. Having a strong grip will make you stronger on a variety of different lifts, and it is also something that can prove to be quite useful in everyday life. Or as I like to calll it, functional strength. Now lose the sand in your vag, chalk up, and pull like a man!

And I have to disagree with the comments made about not using an over/under grip on deadlift. If a bicep tears from using an over/under grip on the deadlift, it's because the bicep is the weak link. How do you eliminate this? Train your biceps. Hammer curls are an excellent accomadating exercise for overall bicep strength and health and great for forearm strength as well.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I've never seen so much time spent talking over gloves, straps, etc. I said it earlier and I'll say it again...you're a MAN, act like it! Grab that barbell with your bare mits and hold on for dear life! I have really small hands and I have pulled 605 from the floor in competition and 755 out of the rack just below the knee...all without straps. If you use straps, ditch them. Your grip strength will catch up. It only took about a month for my grip strength to catch up. Having a strong grip will make you stronger on a variety of different lifts, and it is also something that can prove to be quite useful in everyday life. Or as I like to calll it, functional strength. Now lose the sand in your vag, chalk up, and pull like a man!

And I have to disagree with the comments made about not using an over/under grip on deadlift. If a bicep tears from using an over/under grip on the deadlift, it's because the bicep is the weak link. How do you eliminate this? Train your biceps. Hammer curls are an excellent accomadating exercise for overall bicep strength and health and great for forearm strength as well.
yup i use to do wraps ditched them it took me about 4 weeks to atch up on grip strength... and exactly it pisses me of there are like 4 threads asking what kinda shoes to squat in and dealift in thats not gonna add a damn pound to the bar.

BiG in NYC 82

BiG in NYC 82

Awards
Another vote for bare hands + chalk....build up that grip strength!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
paul56778 Training Forum 3
turff49 General Chat 2
Nutrition / Health 46
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0