Gloves, Straps?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    straps for leg presss huh?

    and btw.. using gloves on deadlift is dumb IMO use a mixed grip twist one grip one hand one way the other the other way...it will feel like ur twisting the bar to break it.. this will give u great grip strength.. you cant do this in gloves....
    Mixed grip is dangerous. If the person is not a competing powerlifter using straps or hooks is the suitable option.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS


  2. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Mixed grip is dangerous. If the person is not a competing powerlifter using straps or hooks is the suitable option.
    I think a blanket statement like 'mixed grip is dangerous' is a little overboard. Yes, there is a higher likelyhood of a bicep tear using a mixed grip (less if you're using good technique). But thousands of guys use a mixed grip for heavy deadlifting year after year and never have a problem, other than a little elbow tendonitis of course.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I think a blanket statement like 'mixed grip is dangerous' is a little overboard. Yes, there is a higher likelyhood of a bicep tear using a mixed grip (less if you're using good technique). But thousands of guys use a mixed grip for heavy deadlifting year after year and never have a problem, other than a little elbow tendonitis of course.
    You just contradicted yourself. Elbow tendonitis IS an injury. So yes, they do have a problem. You can eliminate this and progress much faster with straps or hooks.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

  4. try straps they are not that much $. make up your mind.that is the only way you will know what works for you

  5. i use chalk, wrist straps for heavy pressing movements, and versa grips for heavy pulling movements. Straps due lessen forearm strength for sure

    for chalk, go to REI, but the rock climbing chalk bags. they are full of chalk and are small to carry around the gym in your pocket.
    •   
       

  6. The best grips I have found. Very inexpensive.


    Try these things called Big Back Grips (I don't have enough posts to put the link in, but just Google Big Back Grips)
    They really grab the bar, NO slipping even when I sweat. They are especially good on knurled bars, but they also grab the slippery enamel bars on the BodyMaster equipment. (Especially good when the rubber coating on the machine is torn, which is nearly always.)

    I found them at Muscle Beach last summer, they had a booth. They're in a bunch of stores in LA but you can get them on their website too.

  7. I dont like to use them but I like to just use straps to support my wrist + grip

  8. This is an old thread and I don't know if OP is still around and I'm surprised I only saw captains of crush mentioned once. Go to ironmind they have every stuff you need to help fix your grip.

    www.ironmind.com

  9. Thanx for the link. Gonna check out those captains of crush

  10. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Mixed grip is dangerous. If the person is not a competing powerlifter using straps or hooks is the suitable option.
    ive gotten 430 mixed grip, 485 rack pull and my biceps are still fine.. Im sure thats not up to the weights you can move but being in the 180ish range i think thats pretty good never even felt bicep pain...

  11. Since nobody else mentioned them, I'll chime in. I use versa gripps



    basically act as either gloves or straps/hooks depending on how you use the paddle part. Nice thing is that if you wear them loose at the wrist, they are easy to spin around so that the paddle part is on the back of your hand. Here is their site

    http://www.versagripps.com/

    I use em because i have thumb arthritis from being a software developer too long and too much time at a keyboard. So I don't have crap for grip due to that.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    ive gotten 430 mixed grip, 485 rack pull and my biceps are still fine.. Im sure thats not up to the weights you can move but being in the 180ish range i think thats pretty good never even felt bicep pain...
    I can attest to the statement that a mixed grip is asking for trouble!

    First off...when I train deadlift, I use straps for anything over 405...mixed grip up to that point. Deadlift and heavy bent over DB rows is all I use straps for. In my last strongman competition I was over/under handing my last deadlift, and sure enough popped my biceps tendon (distel). My grip was plenty strong...it was the biceps that gave out.

    So, my advice is if you plan on competing, train the over/under grip all the time. If you don't...use straps. I think its just an overall safer option. There are other ways to train grip (FARMERS WALK!).

  13. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Since nobody else mentioned them, I'll chime in. I use versa gripps

    basically act as either gloves or straps/hooks depending on how you use the paddle part. Nice thing is that if you wear them loose at the wrist, they are easy to spin around so that the paddle part is on the back of your hand. Here is their site

    I use em because i have thumb arthritis from being a software developer too long and too much time at a keyboard. So I don't have crap for grip due to that.
    I was going to say the same thing... I like them because I hate wearing gloves, and these serve the same purpose (keeping me from ripping the calluses off my hands) while also working as straps

  14. Straps can be clutch, just make sure to wash them. This may seem obvious, but ya can get ringworm from them if you dont! And this **** is just GROSS

  15. Quote Originally Posted by cad05k View Post
    Straps can be clutch, just make sure to wash them. This may seem obvious, but ya can get ringworm from them if you dont! And this **** is just GROSS
    Yet another reason to use chalk.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  16. Quote Originally Posted by drivehard View Post
    I can attest to the statement that a mixed grip is asking for trouble!

    First off...when I train deadlift, I use straps for anything over 405...mixed grip up to that point. Deadlift and heavy bent over DB rows is all I use straps for. In my last strongman competition I was over/under handing my last deadlift, and sure enough popped my biceps tendon (distel). My grip was plenty strong...it was the biceps that gave out.

    So, my advice is if you plan on competing, train the over/under grip all the time. If you don't...use straps. I think its just an overall safer option. There are other ways to train grip (FARMERS WALK!).
    i want to do a competition bad! i usually pull singles for deadlift.. something starting at 275 after squats and work up to a max single in the 400s

  17. I'm sorry but as soon as i see gloves on someone i think the worst of them, i don't care if they're a big dude, to me they're a big dude with a hand-modelling career who has a weak grip and is scared of callouses (which for manual self-evacuation of the scrotum are for your own satisfaction if you get my drift).

    At the very worst, straps are excusable, just. I use liquid chalk and i've yet to reach a weight i can't handle with my own grip, maybe my grip's good or my wieghts are bad i don't know.

  18. I've never seen so much time spent talking over gloves, straps, etc. I said it earlier and I'll say it again...you're a MAN, act like it! Grab that barbell with your bare mits and hold on for dear life! I have really small hands and I have pulled 605 from the floor in competition and 755 out of the rack just below the knee...all without straps. If you use straps, ditch them. Your grip strength will catch up. It only took about a month for my grip strength to catch up. Having a strong grip will make you stronger on a variety of different lifts, and it is also something that can prove to be quite useful in everyday life. Or as I like to calll it, functional strength. Now lose the sand in your vag, chalk up, and pull like a man!

    And I have to disagree with the comments made about not using an over/under grip on deadlift. If a bicep tears from using an over/under grip on the deadlift, it's because the bicep is the weak link. How do you eliminate this? Train your biceps. Hammer curls are an excellent accomadating exercise for overall bicep strength and health and great for forearm strength as well.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Ironhyde View Post
    I've never seen so much time spent talking over gloves, straps, etc. I said it earlier and I'll say it again...you're a MAN, act like it! Grab that barbell with your bare mits and hold on for dear life! I have really small hands and I have pulled 605 from the floor in competition and 755 out of the rack just below the knee...all without straps. If you use straps, ditch them. Your grip strength will catch up. It only took about a month for my grip strength to catch up. Having a strong grip will make you stronger on a variety of different lifts, and it is also something that can prove to be quite useful in everyday life. Or as I like to calll it, functional strength. Now lose the sand in your vag, chalk up, and pull like a man!

    And I have to disagree with the comments made about not using an over/under grip on deadlift. If a bicep tears from using an over/under grip on the deadlift, it's because the bicep is the weak link. How do you eliminate this? Train your biceps. Hammer curls are an excellent accomadating exercise for overall bicep strength and health and great for forearm strength as well.
    yup i use to do wraps ditched them it took me about 4 weeks to atch up on grip strength... and exactly it pisses me of there are like 4 threads asking what kinda shoes to squat in and dealift in thats not gonna add a damn pound to the bar.

  20. Another vote for bare hands + chalk....build up that grip strength!!!

  21. Improve your grip; Keeping pulling the deads raw grip and in less time then you think, the grip will catch up.

    Also, if you do deads with a stop & pause at the bottom instead of a bounce, its a bit easier on the grip because of that brief time of release at the bottom.
    NSCA - CSCS

  22. liquid chalk and fat gripz to help build your strength.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by liquid View Post
    Only use them when I go above 315 in dead lift and wide grip lifts.

    Its best to work the forearms to get use to the weight though. Generally I would only use straps if I want to crush the weight or try maxing my 1 rep max.
    I agree, and don't use straps or gloves anymore, but if your back or traps require more than your grip (strength sweat or whatever) I would do what you have to do to stimulate the muscle group you are training. Good luck with your training!

  24. Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I think a blanket statement like 'mixed grip is dangerous' is a little overboard. Yes, there is a higher likelyhood of a bicep tear using a mixed grip (less if you're using good technique). But thousands of guys use a mixed grip for heavy deadlifting year after year and never have a problem, other than a little elbow tendonitis of course.
    Never had a problem with mixed grip in ten years- helps a lot with holding the weight. Also, I've read that there is no need to change up which hand is over or under as it doesn't create any imbalance in strength or symmetry

  25. Konstantinov says no to straps....and belts...and gloves...

    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnzOEj5KC7w&feature=re lated"]YouTube- Konstantinovs Deadlift 426kg(939lb) RAW,no belt[/nomedia]

    I wear gloves in the winter b/c my basement has no heat so I can see my breath because I live in Frickin Canada....I also use under armour,a touque and wool haha. Other than that chalk is your friend. As is an over under grip. Safe if you do it properly.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. straps or no straps after tearing hands
    By chuebner in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 09:59 AM
  2. Gloves on Nutra
    By harlan100 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 11:51 AM
  3. What kind of gloves (or not) do you use?
    By EasyEJL in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-14-2008, 09:13 AM
  4. what do you guys think about gloves =p?
    By The Flash in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Log in
Log in