MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey everyone, I don't typically post here in this forum, but if anyone knows what the best sleeves are it will be you guys. I recently started smashing my legs for growth and got a lot stronger but the tendon above me knee apparently wasn't quite ready for this so I have some tendonitis same issue in elbow. I am doing all of the good stuff, Cissus, R.I.C.E, ibuprofen of course and what not but I also want to get a really good sleeve I can wear for extra support. Can you all recommend the most supportive sleeves for both knee and elbow? I am not likely to stop training so I want as much support as possible while lowering weights until stability comes back. Then hopefully at some point I can train in Power lifting style for a bit and maybe even compete. I just need to get his stuff done healing first. THen i will do some of the tendon strenthening workouts I have been reading up on and see if I can't turn them into airline cables.

I did use search but did not find what I was looking for or am not knowledgeable enough in these accessories to know that I have.

I have looked at the Rehband Knee and Elbow sleeves and am interested in them. As well as the TK or Tommy Kono Knee sleeves and the APT Convict double ply knee wraps.

I would probably also wear this during rolling and sparring if possible for the extra support there as well.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
The TK knee sleeves are really good. The Inzer knee and elbow sleeves are great too. I've used both the TK and Inzer and liked them about the same.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Tommy kono knee bands are the ones I have and compete in... also have heard good things about rehbands. Lots of strong man competitors wear rehbands.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
Another vote for TKs. I see these posts all the time about sleeves and everyone says rehbands, but I think they suck compared to the TKs. I got a set of Rehband knee sleeves and the stitching started tearing the first time I put them on, I was not impressed. Not nearly as much support and warmth as the TKs IMO.

My TKs I've had for years and have a few tears in the rubber and they still work great. They are a bastard to get on though, but you'll figure out a technique that works. It's a grip builder just getting the knee sleeves up.

Keeping up on recovery workouts really helps my joints as well. Lots of fish oil too. If you have that shooting pain from your elbow tendonitis where your whole arm hurts (like I get sometimes) you could try some horse liniment to take care of some inflammation. It works pretty well for me if I use it consistently (3-4 times a day). Here's the stuff I use: http://www.stablesolutionsltd.com/ . That stuff is really good, and you can get a small 4oz bottle to try pretty cheap.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey everybody I wanted to thank you all for the input so far. I will look at these just a bit more with your statements in mind before making my order. By the way Ortho told me yesterday I strained / sprained the vastus lateralis muscle and the quadriceps lateralis tendon. I apparently have a good size knot where the muscle tissue connects to the tendon. He said 6 weeks of very light weights. I hope the sleeve allows a little more support so I can go just heavy enough to be challenging at high reps and not lose the new mass I have put on over the past few months. Oh well if not muscle memory will kick in on the flip side.

I will look into the liniment for the horses, how bad does that smell??? The doc said I definitely need to be using something like that too. Co-Workers are gonna love me!

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Hey everybody I wanted to thank you all for the input so far. I will look at these just a bit more with your statements in mind before making my order. By the way Ortho told me yesterday I strained / sprained the vastus lateralis muscle and the quadriceps lateralis tendon. I apparently have a good size knot where the muscle tissue connects to the tendon. He said 6 weeks of very light weights. I hope the sleeve allows a little more support so I can go just heavy enough to be challenging at high reps and not lose the new mass I have put on over the past few months. Oh well if not muscle memory will kick in on the flip side.

I will look into the liniment for the horses, how bad does that smell??? The doc said I definitely need to be using something like that too. Co-Workers are gonna love me!
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=176

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
The stuff I posted doesn't smell bad at all, after a couple minutes you can't smell anything.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The stuff I posted doesn't smell bad at all, after a couple minutes you can't smell anything.
Nice, I like that and the testimonials are impressive, has a muscle relaxant in it too. How hot does this stuff get, would I need to be careful with application to keep from it getting too hot? I want something effective but not so hot it is almost unbearable.

Okay I see it says no menthol or eucalyptis. So smell probably wont be too bad like you said.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
I found the TK sleeves to be great at warming up the joints, and help with some popping that happened at heavier loads, but other than that they werent THAT supportive.

As far as the Rehbands, I've read that the first generation ones were the really good ones, the ones out now supposedly suck.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Do you recommend the pink or blue?
If you go with those, go with the blue. I don't find that the blue feels much different than the pink and it's a little cheaper. It does have that menthol smell though. It's fine for putting on right before you workout, but you might not want to walk around all day with it on.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I found the TK sleeves to be great at warming up the joints, and help with some popping that happened at heavier loads, but other than that they werent THAT supportive.

As far as the Rehbands, I've read that the first generation ones were the really good ones, the ones out now supposedly suck.
Thanks good info!

If you go with those, go with the blue. I don't find that the blue feels much different than the pink and it's a little cheaper. It does have that menthol smell though. It's fine for putting on right before you workout, but you might not want to walk around all day with it on.
Perfect insight there. I think I may try the other one that says it does not have the strong odor just to see. It would be worth a little extra money not to smell like an old man in a sauna all day. I work in an office building and would be attacked after too long of smelling up the joint. LOL

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
im thinking of picking up a pair with my next bb order. is 5-11 would mediums work?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
im thinking of picking up a pair with my next bb order. is 5-11 would mediums work?
I am not sure some of the have you measure your knee and that is how you decide what size you need.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
my knees are 15' dont see the size chart on bb.com.

what joint cream did you decide on

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
funny thing is, my gf rides / shows horses and that is exactly what she said she uses on them. says it works very well.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
funny thing is, my gf rides / shows horses and that is exactly what she said she uses on them. says it works very well.
Cool another good review, that seals the deal. I like the fact it has a muscle relaxant in it as well. That will help the healing process too.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
I would go with the APT Knee and Elbow Sleeves or with Elite FTS knee and elbow sleeves. Additionally Elite sells strong ass linemints(sorry about spelling). There is a blue, Pink, and EQ block. (ascending order of strength). I have also started getting a few aches and pains myself. I also like a glucosamine bases supplement as well it seems to lube up the joints for me. I like applying hot stuff to the knees and elbows before bed a few times per week to increase blood flow to the area, and help heal the white tissue faster.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
just picked up some TK's ill let you know how they work out

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
i had a pair of xxl convict double ply knee sleeves and had to return them as i couldn't even get them on (and i don't have the most massive legs in the world either). Ended up getting the regular APT knees sleeves and they're great - highly recommended

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would go with the APT Knee and Elbow Sleeves or with Elite FTS knee and elbow sleeves. Additionally Elite sells strong ass linemints(sorry about spelling). There is a blue, Pink, and EQ block. (ascending order of strength). I have also started getting a few aches and pains myself. I also like a glucosamine bases supplement as well it seems to lube up the joints for me. I like applying hot stuff to the knees and elbows before bed a few times per week to increase blood flow to the area, and help heal the white tissue faster.
just picked up some TK's ill let you know how they work out
i had a pair of xxl convict double ply knee sleeves and had to return them as i couldn't even get them on (and i don't have the most massive legs in the world either). Ended up getting the regular APT knees sleeves and they're great - highly recommended
Thanks Guys, I got the APT Double Ply Convicts set and am waiting for delivery. I am in the top end of the 70-90 KG weight range and I got the next size up that were for the 90-110kg weight class. I have smaller knees than most people and read that these run a little small so I went a size up from what it said after reading about them. I read where people were saying these were about as tight as you can go and still keep on in between sets. I do have big calves though so hopefully I don't have problems getting them on, we shall see.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
good luck with them. Give it an hour, loads of talc, pumped forearms and wrecked hands and major leg - hair loss and i'm sure you'll be fine!!!

seriously though, let us know how u find them. the regular apt sleeves are great for me as if i need something as tight as the double ply sleeves i'll just break out the wraps - more convenient and a better job as far as i'm concerned

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
good luck with them. Give it an hour, loads of talc, pumped forearms and wrecked hands and major leg - hair loss and i'm sure you'll be fine!!!

seriously though, let us know how u find them. the regular apt sleeves are great for me as if i need something as tight as the double ply sleeves i'll just break out the wraps - more convenient and a better job as far as i'm concerned
LOL that sounds fun. HAHA I am hoping with them perhaps being a little big for me that it will be a little easier to go on. They did not have my size in the regular APT stuff or I would have probably went for that option. I looked at the Tommy K's too and size wise they were out of the size I needed. I understand APT is good about working with you if there is an issue so at least that is on my side. I will definitely let you all know how they workout.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
apt runs of out most sizes really fast. what made you choose apt sleeves of TK's by chance? What exactly is the main difference b/w wraps and sleeves. wraps are mostly for maxing out correct

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Kleen, glad to see you picked those up. Definitely post on how they've helped, any discomforts, etc.

I use all Inzer gear, and I have to say I DON'T like my knee wraps. They do the job but they aren't an easy wrap. My wrist wraps, squat gear, and bench shirt, I love though.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
apt runs of out most sizes really fast. what made you choose apt sleeves of TK's by chance? What exactly is the main difference b/w wraps and sleeves. wraps are mostly for maxing out correct
Well the TK's were out of stock, I read as many good things about the APT's as I did about the TK's and a few places said TK were not as supportive. Wraps are going to give you more support if you really know how to wrap. I was looking for the most support but also being able to leave the sleeves on between sets to keep heat in the area as well. I plan to lift with these most of the time if I am getting up into anything heavy. If there is a major issue with them I can return them and go with the Konos if available but really the products came out about even quality wise from what I read and the APT's came out on top as far as cost and availability went so that is what I chose. I would have probably opted for a set that was not double ply to be safe but they didn't have them either. As long as they fit I shoud be ok.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
In case you compete, just be careful if you compete in a fed that allows knee sleeves. They usually allow single ply knee sleeves only. Those new APT sleeves are not allowed in many of them.

Alan is great at APT as far as exchanges and returns, just email him if you have a problem. He'll set you up.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cool, good to know. If I compete I will have to get another set. At least I know this so if they don't fit I can see about getting a singly ply set. I wanted to get the new APT Heavy, it is a single but they were sold out in my size.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Kleen, how is your progress, opinion on your knee/elbow sleeves?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well they were a bit to tight for the workout I was doing but I am saving them until I can go heavier. I will probably be squatting with them in a couple days though. Very Very Supportive for both of them almost feels like being wrapped.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Well they were a bit to tight for the workout I was doing but I am saving them until I can go heavier. I will probably be squatting with them in a couple days though. Very Very Supportive for both of them almost feels like being wrapped.
Pain in the a$$ to put on too I bet. The apparatus is cool but it literally 'hurts'. I remember my 1st bench shirt, getting it on finally and it pinching every hair and skinfold under my armpit. HOLY $hit it hurt.

Anyway, I'm thinking of picking up the TK Knee Sleeves as an alternative to wrapping. I just hate wrapping all the time. I think you can use them as elbow sleeves as well which would be great for bench as well.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pain in the a$$ to put on too I bet. The apparatus is cool but it literally 'hurts'. I remember my 1st bench shirt, getting it on finally and it pinching every hair and skinfold under my armpit. HOLY $hit it hurt.

Anyway, I'm thinking of picking up the TK Knee Sleeves as an alternative to wrapping. I just hate wrapping all the time. I think you can use them as elbow sleeves as well which would be great for bench as well.
Yeah the TK's are the ones that I kind of whish I had gotten for what I wanted. I wanted to put them on and be able to tleave them on but if I am able to do that later it will be after much breaking in. Yeah TK's you just get a smaller size to use as elbow sleeves. My sleeves will be perfect in about 6-7 lbs of fat loss I bet.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Yeah the TK's are the ones that I kind of whish I had gotten for what I wanted. I wanted to put them on and be able to tleave them on but if I am able to do that later it will be after much breaking in. Yeah TK's you just get a smaller size to use as elbow sleeves. My sleeves will be perfect in about 6-7 lbs of fat loss I bet.
Bought the TK'S! Did you buy yours from APT? I ordered mine, and they seem kinda slow :(

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I did but not sure of how available the tk's are. Email them I am sure they will work with you. I hear the guy is very responsive.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
I did but not sure of how available the tk's are. Email them I am sure they will work with you. I hear the guy is very responsive.
I may have to. There was no 'out of stock' when I ordered but I've gotten no confirmation of anything ATM. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Kleen,

I'm happy to say the TK's arrived today. I didn't get to use them during my workout but I tried them on and immediate heat. I could feel it. Did some BW squats and felt no pain and also these are perfect to wear during the whole workout. I can surely tell. Just FYI.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Flex, just so you know I am a wee bit jealous as I can't wear mine yet they are just too sturdy for what I am doing right now. I am keeping them because they will be excellent when I am recovered and ready to really push HEAVY weight. What size TK's did you get and did you also get a set for your elbows?

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
How do the TK's work for elbows? I am thinking about ordering the set. You gotta respect a man like Kono.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How do the TK's work for elbows? I am thinking about ordering the set. You gotta respect a man like Kono.
I am hoping Flex can tell us. I have heard great thig about them and the elbows are the same as the knees you just get them smaller, so I assume as long as they fit right they will be excellent. I read about guys using Konos for years.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
I am hoping Flex can tell us. I have heard great thig about them and the elbows are the same as the knees you just get them smaller, so I assume as long as they fit right they will be excellent. I read about guys using Konos for years.
I hope so...I know they are good for knees but the elbow supports I have used before were garbage...You need support but also a range of motion..if it does that well f yeah!:fest30:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
True, range of motion is definitely a factor. Although he said he would be able to wear the leg ones through an entire workout so they must be a little looser than what I have and mine will go through a full range of motion as tight and restrictive as they are.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
EHYO FELLAZ!!

I got the medium sized Konos. I only got the Knee Sleeves. I did try putting the knee sleeves on my elbows and they were just too big. No go there.

Range of motion by just doing the bodyweight squats was just fine. I tried em on after my leg workout. I had my usual tendonitis ache and putting these on, you can definitely tell they were warming the area and my pain was dulled for sure. I'll have a great idea come Tueday when I hit the squats again. Getting them on and off was a snap too because you can fold half of it and inch it up that way rather than trying to pry your hairs off your legs. Getting them off was even easier, I pushed them down as to go inside-out and they came right off.

My hunch is that they will help me for sure, but I think wrapping will be more supportive. If I can get 75% the support of wrapping and able to wear these for the duration of my leg workout, I've accompllished my goal.

I'll give a full detailed report after my leg workout on Tues!

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
sounds good i own these as well and they help me a great deal on leg and dead day. deff warm the knees

EHYO FELLAZ!!

I got the medium sized Konos. I only got the Knee Sleeves. I did try putting the knee sleeves on my elbows and they were just too big. No go there.

Range of motion by just doing the bodyweight squats was just fine. I tried em on after my leg workout. I had my usual tendonitis ache and putting these on, you can definitely tell they were warming the area and my pain was dulled for sure. I'll have a great idea come Tueday when I hit the squats again. Getting them on and off was a snap too because you can fold half of it and inch it up that way rather than trying to pry your hairs off your legs. Getting them off was even easier, I pushed them down as to go inside-out and they came right off.

My hunch is that they will help me for sure, but I think wrapping will be more supportive. If I can get 75% the support of wrapping and able to wear these for the duration of my leg workout, I've accompllished my goal.

I'll give a full detailed report after my leg workout on Tues!

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
APT seemed pretty cheap to me. Way too think, and bulky. Almost unfunctional.

I have these... Order a size or two bigger than you think you would need. I have XXXL's.
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=3013

I love them. Now that I have them broke in a tad (about 20 uses), I can leave them on the entire session. I also pull them down on to my shin when pulling from the floor to limit my DNA deposition... :)

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
what do you mean DNA deposition? I use em for deads and love em.

APT seemed pretty cheap to me. Way too think, and bulky. Almost unfunctional.

I have these... Order a size or two bigger than you think you would need. I have XXXL's.
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=3013

I love them. Now that I have them broke in a tad (about 20 uses), I can leave them on the entire session. I also pull them down on to my shin when pulling from the floor to limit my DNA deposition... :)

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so my report.

Putting them on, no issues. FIRM. Felt very secure and immediate warmth.

During squats, I wanna say it felt like I was wrapped. I probably was 90% pain free.

During my Centuries thereafter, my knees were SWEATING. I mean dripping sweat from the knee area. It didn't affect the support, I was still very secure.

No issues with blood flow. Just good solid support and wore during my whole duration of workout.

Was this exactly what I was looking for? Yes.
Confidence and reps were up. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Hope this helps.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Okay, so my report.

Putting them on, no issues. FIRM. Felt very secure and immediate warmth.

During squats, I wanna say it felt like I was wrapped. I probably was 90% pain free.

During my Centuries thereafter, my knees were SWEATING. I mean dripping sweat from the knee area. It didn't affect the support, I was still very secure.

No issues with blood flow. Just good solid support and wore during my whole duration of workout.

Was this exactly what I was looking for? Yes.
Confidence and reps were up. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Hope this helps.
Awesome, I will have to check out what Casey mentioned too but for now I am done spending on this. I saw some of Casey's home gym and have some catching up to do. LOL

About trying them on the arms according to the sizing chart they would supposedly fit... I hope so that was part of the selling point for me was that my sizes overlapped so no need for an extra pair. I hope they are at least tight enough to offer some support there. I don't expect anywhere near what I would get on legs. Was there any support at all on the elbows or was it just really loose?