stuck bench

popeye427

Awards
When i bench, it feels as though i have the most trouble pushing the bar up just above my chest. And once it gets above half way up, the bar feels light as a feather. Any one have any suggestions on how to add strength to the lower portion of the bench?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Get your lats and upper back stronger. Also you can do some speed work to make sure you are giving your full amount of force out of the bottom. For the speed work just take 50% of your max bench and do 8 sets of 3 with about a minute rest between each set. You want to make sure you are applying as much force as possible when you are doing the speed work so even though it is only 50% on there you have to press like it is 150% of your best.

popeye427

Awards
I've heard quick a bit about speed work. Is it ok to do speed work before max effort work in the same workout, or should they be on two separate days?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
If you're going to do speed work, do it on a separate training day. Take some time to read the Westside information at the top of the page to learn how to set up your speed training.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
personally i didnt like that westside type training. You can do all the speed work you want but when you add 40 pounds to the bar then you wont be as fast... i love the ed Coan routine pyramid up and go heavier on assistance work

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
personally i didnt like that westside type training. You can do all the speed work you want but when you add 40 pounds to the bar then you wont be as fast... i love the ed Coan routine pyramid up and go heavier on assistance work
I felt the same way about speed work until I incoprorated bands into it. It really did teach me to explode out of the bottom even with heavy weights. To bad it was my lockout that was weak and I was always strong of the chest.lol

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
As others have said, speed work, lat work, dumbbell presses, and pin presses with the bar set just off the chest(make sure you pause on the pins)

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
You could try some paused benching, wide grip benching and heavy DB work also. I do singles for speed work rather than triples, has a better carryover for me. Some overhead pressing may be in order too along with the extra upper back/rear delt work to strengthen your shoulders all around.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I felt the same way about speed work until I incoprorated bands into it. It really did teach me to explode out of the bottom even with heavy weights. To bad it was my lockout that was weak and I was always strong of the chest.lol
Ive used chains it helped to an extent.. i really want to try bands tho because.. ive been deadlifting with bands 3 x 3 or 3 x 1 and wow do know how to lockout.. like 315 is coming off the ground like 225 and its only been 3 weeks.

However how would bands/chains help of ur chest? they would help lockout? and i dont think i need help with lockout yet but when i do im deff. ordering some elitefts bands

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
You could try some paused benching, wide grip benching and heavy DB work also. I do singles for speed work rather than triples, has a better carryover for me. Some overhead pressing may be in order too along with the extra upper back/rear delt work to strengthen your shoulders all around.
ultra wide grip pause set of a 3-5 rep max will work wonders.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive used chains it helped to an extent.. i really want to try bands tho because.. ive been deadlifting with bands 3 x 3 or 3 x 1 and wow do know how to lockout.. like 315 is coming off the ground like 225 and its only been 3 weeks.

However how would bands/chains help of ur chest? they would help lockout? and i dont think i need help with lockout yet but when i do im deff. ordering some elitefts bands
They definalty will help the lockout if you use them on max effort day. On dynmaic bench it helped me really learn to explode of the chest and stay tight. It will increase your ability to switch directions and build speed out of the bottom. Trust me if you get a chance give it a try. You'll see what I mean by bands making you stay tight.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
The bands and chains help you off the chest because they kind of trick your nervous system into firing at a higher rate because it thinks your lifting heavier that what you really are. If you ever get a chance to try weight releasers you can really get a good idea of how that works, you'd be amazed at how fast you can move maximal weights once you learn how to develop a good rate of force development. For speed work to really pay off too you have to be very to dedicate a longer stretch of your training to it so that your body actually learns the rate of force development that your trying to teach it.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
They definalty will help the lockout if you use them on max effort day. On dynmaic bench it helped me really learn to explode of the chest and stay tight. It will increase your ability to switch directions and build speed out of the bottom. Trust me if you get a chance give it a try. You'll see what I mean by bands making you stay tight.
ive used some bands on bench b4 it does force u to stay tight. i might add them in... my bench is pretty low (265 football bench) is my best.. however my deadlift is 440 so im starting to use bands with those.. maybe when i get my bench back up ill give em a try

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
For your bench, try this. With a spotter, use the maximum weight that you can safely hold for 20-30 seconds, but keep it a few inches away from your chest, don't extend it. Then slowly move it an inch or two up and down. This is a hybrid isometric/isotonic exercise. It will work the muscles the most at the angle where they are the weakest.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Do some clap push ups, high intensity and to failure. Rest 3 mins in between sets. Do as many sets as you can until you cannot push yourself off the floor once. Then wait a few days till your chest doesn't hurt anymore and do it again.

dr mike

Awards
Suggestion:

Try alternating the following;

Day one: Illegally wide bench or Competition grip bench to a 1 or 3 inch pad

Day two: CGB to 1 or 3 inch pad/ Full ROM CGB's

For example if you do Illegally wide benches on day one, then do CBB's to a pad on day two, and if you do competition grip benches to a pad, then do CGB's with a full ROM on the other day.

Some points of interest.

1- pause all of the pad work, in other words don't let the bar sink into the pad before you press. This greatly improves control and triceps strength.

2- when you bench, try to "stretch/ pull the bar apart" throughout the lift.

3- in addition you will need to develop tension throughout you entire body with the proper arch and leg drive during the lift.

4- work you upper back with heavy 1 arm DB rows and/ or parallel grip chins. Nothing fancy here just the basics .

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yes great link but i got a question i usually tuck my legs even farther back then dave does to get a better arch i do this because im only 180lbs so i dont get that tightness unless my legs are tucked really far back. so is that ok? my ass and shoulder blades are still on the bench. toes are touching the ground.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
I see no reason why it wouldent be ok, Its not illegal, you still have your butt and blades on the bench... I would say your good

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I see no reason why it wouldent be ok, Its not illegal, you still have your butt and blades on the bench... I would say your good
alright that tate video is money tho.. ever since i been doing that the distance the bar travels is less and focus on the lockout is more.. i also switched to a bit wider grip so im working shoulders harder and my bench went down because i switched up form but its way better in the long run.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
yes great link but i got a question i usually tuck my legs even farther back then dave does to get a better arch i do this because im only 180lbs so i dont get that tightness unless my legs are tucked really far back. so is that ok? my ass and shoulder blades are still on the bench. toes are touching the ground.
Depends on what fed you compete in. Your feet have to be flat in some of them.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Depends on what fed you compete in. Your feet have to be flat in some of them.
well thats not a problem for me really the only problem i have is the commercial gyms the benches are so low to the ground... the one dave uses in his elitefts video is how high mine is where u lie down and your feet touch the ground perfectly. Not with you knees 1/2 mile in the sky if that makes sense?

evser

Awards
Should really wide grip bench be done as an ME exercise or as an assistance for higher reps maybe on DE day?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Should really wide grip bench be done as an ME exercise or as an assistance for higher reps maybe on DE day?
i wouldn't do it higher reps because if your form slips one ONE damn rep your F'd... NOw the day you do it depends.. you can do it for an assistance lift after a ME effort.. say you do board press ME then you could do a 5 rep Max on wide grip bench as assistance work.. When i did these i would do 3 x 4-6 rep close grip floor press. then do 5 rep max effort wide grip bench and medicine ball db press to failure. this worked real well for an assitance DE day

evser

Awards
Alright so would you do it for only 1 set of your 5 rep max or working up to a 5 rep max?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Alright so would you do it for only 1 set of your 5 rep max or working up to a 5 rep max?
you DEFFINTELY want to work up to a 5 Rep max..what really works is if u pause 3 seconds with a wide grip not EXTRMELY wide. but just wide grip pause 3 seconds and up. it will build nasty strength of ur chest.. my assistance day goes like this

board press
2 x 3, or 2 x 5

or Wide Grip 5 rep max

or Close grip of the floor. etc.. as the main movement.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
You lack bottom end power so I would suggst:
Increase Lat/Back auxilary work

Bench with a cambered bar every other week

Add in dumbell work every couple weeks

Start using dynamic training Speed work and or plyometrics to develop explosiveness

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
You lack bottom end power so I would suggst:
Increase Lat/Back auxilary work

Bench with a cambered bar every other week

Add in dumbell work every couple weeks

Start using dynamic training Speed work and or plyometrics to develop explosiveness
and back work should be ROWS ROWS ROWS DB or barbelll.. none of that seated pulls or machines or lat pulldown ****.