best strength training

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
what is the best training for strength increases and not mass.

GVT
5x5
Max-ot

ect..

Thanks

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
umm i would say doing singles i guess since u wont achieve much hytrophy

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Westside or 5/3/1 are probably your best bets. If you don't have experience with a Westside template, I would go with the 5/3/1 since it's easier to screw up the Westside system. If you get the 5/3/1 book everything will be laid out for you and you can't really screw it up if you follow the program.
Are you wanting to limit your mass gains to stay in a weight class for something? If you are only 175, so I see no real reason to try and stay at that weight unless you compete in some other weight class sport. If you are trying to avoid excess fat gain, then just keep your diet in order. At your size, gaining some muscle mass will go a long way to help your strength. The 5/3/1 can build alot of muscle mass if you use the correct assistance work. I would aim for some weight gain, just slow it down or hold your weight steady if you reach a point where you are gaining too much fat for your liking.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Westside or 5/3/1 are probably your best bets. If you don't have experience with a Westside template, I would go with the 5/3/1 since it's easier to screw up the Westside system. If you get the 5/3/1 book everything will be laid out for you and you can't really screw it up if you follow the program.
Are you wanting to limit your mass gains to stay in a weight class for something? If you are only 175, so I see no real reason to try and stay at that weight unless you compete in some other weight class sport. If you are trying to avoid excess fat gain, then just keep your diet in order. At your size, gaining some muscle mass will go a long way to help your strength. The 5/3/1 can build alot of muscle mass if you use the correct assistance work. I would aim for some weight gain, just slow it down or hold your weight steady if you reach a point where you are gaining too much fat for your liking.
Basically this, unless you are a beginner, then I suggest the starting strength program by Mark Rippetoe.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
i am not a beginner by any means. just trying to see what would work best for a cycle where i dont want to add 20lbs to my frame. maby 10 with a lot of strength. I have not looking into westside or 5/3/1 but i deff will.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you can go too wrong with either Westside or 5/3/1. If you want something more slow and steady with a long-term focus, 5/3/1 would be best. Westside might give you a more immediate strength yield but tends to be a little tougher to maintain for the long term so you have to have the experience/knowledge to know how to tinker with it.
I don't think there's much chance you will accidentally gain too much muscle with either program.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
makes sense i think i have onced looked into westside and found it confusing. 5/3/1 looks best but i have not researched it. do you have a good link for it online? from my knowledge muscle gain is all tweaking the diet.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
thanks man. any good links to westside? the one i have is not all that clear

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Do a web search for "dave tate + periodization bible" and you should be able to find a pretty straightforward template for Westside beginners.
I used a Westside template for a long time, so let me know if you have any questions.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
what is the best training for strength increases and not mass.

GVT
5x5
Max-ot

ect..

Thanks
how long''s a piece of string?

all depends on the individual.

I find that as long as my joints hold up any kind of volume training (GVT, sheiko, smolov) works well for me

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
sounds good im not looking to bet beefy just add some mass with more focus on strength gains.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
there is no best, just the best that you respond to, and even that can change with time.

Personally I am not that in tune with myself, so I find westside hard to follow and always wonder if I am doing it right. I like programs that lay out the numbers for me based on goals, like 5x5, sheiko, and 5/3/1. you can always try a hybrid-type program to transition into strength training, like DC, which will help you condition your CNS, as strength training beats you up in a very different way than hypertrophy-specific workouts.

believer

believer

Awards
  • Established
I'll probably get flamed for this but I suggest you go to t-mag and ab out CT's 'perfect rep'. Its auto regulating and sort of comb ines the ME and DE days of the Westside system. Many users (including myself)have b lown past our previous 1rm and can do more weight in sets of three. It features ramping-not so much as a muscle warm-up but to prime your nervous system to deal with the bigger weights and still dominate them. Good luck.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
westside i find hard to follow. other systems like mentioned before are layed out and not pages and pages long. gvt, after one week, has beaten me up significantly. deep muscle soreness

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
this system seems really tough to understand.
That's why I don't think it's a good option for people unless you have someone who is very familiar with it(as in has trained with a proper westside template with success) to train with so they can guide you through it. Lots of people try a "westside" template but screw it up and then claim it doesn't work. It is probably the best program template out there, but you can't truly say you train westside unless you have trained with Louie Simmons himself at Westside barbell(I believe I have heard him state that before).
I would prefer wendler's 5/3/1

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
It is difficult at first but I will try to simplify it for you:

two methods:
Dynamic: aka speed days done at 45-60% of max for 8-10 sets of doubles or triples

Max effort: Maxing on a main lift every week, additionally you will change the exercise every week as well by adding bands, chains, altering bars, box heights, etc.

Ex.

Max effort sq and dl

Dynamic bench

rest

dynamic squat DL

Max effort Bench

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
The basic principles of Westside are pretty simple but putting it into action is a whole different story. That's why I feel you really need someone who is familiar with it to help you with the training.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
The basic principles of Westside are pretty simple but putting it into action is a whole different story. That's why I feel you really need someone who is familiar with it to help you with the training.
would help for sure

walker11

Awards
if you find the Westside method hard to understand then call Louie and he will explain it to you. but if you want something more straight forward and easy to cycle, then go with 5-3-1, my brother is doing that program right now while trying to stay under 190 (he competes 181) and he loves it.