best mass/strength training program?

clayboy_123

Awards
strong lifts 5x5, starting strength, madcow,wendler 5/3/1 or other? thanks.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
For both mass and strength: PHAT

Vector300

Vector300

Awards
strong lifts 5x5, starting strength, madcow,wendler 5/3/1 or other? thanks.
There's really no "best". I don't wanna come off as that douche but it really depends on you, your goals, your schedule, your experience.

Starting Strength, Madcow, StrongLifts, etc. are all examples of LP (linear progression) they're typically higher frequency and lower volume and intensity. These programs have you essentially increase your weight every session. Great for a beginner to early intermediate but for most the gains slow down dramatically once you start getting decently strong.

5/3/1, Cube Method, Texas Method are a little different in that they're periodization programs which means they are cycle based and have you typically working from a set percentage of your 1RM. We these programs intensity is usually higher and occasionally volume and frequency too. Intermediate to early advanced lifters can do well on this.

I personally like 5/3/1 but because it's so flexible. I'm currently running it as a 3 day a week program, full body template with 4 lifts. In addition to that my in-between days are for conditioning. I like lifting and love lifting heavy but I still want to be able to use my strength efficiently (I hate that word). So I modified it for me and my goals/schedule/commitment.

If your an advanced to elite lifter than you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want.

As for gaining "mass" with these. That's subjective. How you structure it and your nutrition especially will play a big role.