training for strenght questions

kung fu panda

Awards
hey guys im somewhat of a new comer, i get alot of new advice from people at the gym and there all big strong people but just wonderin what u think

what im basically looking for is to minimize size and maximize strenght, i wanna get a strong as possible but i dont want a workout thats ganna make me massivly swell, some guys are saying do alot of bar workouts useing the 3 reps, 3 sets ruine at high wieght, other guys say 5 sets, 5 reps low wieght start, adding on 10-20 pounds between reps, just looking for some advice from some other pro's out there, i got a solid base now, my bench has been going up about 10lbs a week on the 3 reps, 3 sets routine and my size isnt gettin bigger but if the 5 reps, 5 sets is better i wanna switch.

my bench now is max 295

i also was told to focus on 3 main muscles groups, the legs, the back, and the chest, and the rest wil come naturally with the others

so any info is great, just looking for a good direction, although my workout seems to be working pretty nice

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
If you looking just for strength, with little to no concern about cosmetic appearance your general rule of thumb is low reps, high weight, med sets. 5x5 is a good routine, i personally like. I also know a few people that do 6-8 1 rep sets.
Also work in pyramid sets.
10 50%1RM
8 65%1RM
6 75%1RM
4 85%1RM
2 95%1RM
1 100%1RM
1 105%1RM
then back down in similar fashion. Its a good way to blast past 1RM.
as far as weather 3x3 or 5x5 is better your going to have to try both and see how respond to it.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
look up ed coan DL,bench squat routine. try thouse out or look up 5/3/1 by jim wendler or westside barbell (tho this is hard to come up with a routine for) try these out and then id do some 20 minute hytrophy work at the end to keep lookin good !

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Start reading at elitefts.com. After 6 months of reading the website front to back, you will be good to go. Here are a few things i can tell you that i think will help.

Pull every week, one all out set of 3-5 and use the dead variations.

start doing standing overhead work

hammer your posterior and abs (not crunches)

Train the lifts, not the muscles.

The last one is a mindset you have to get in, if you want to train to be stronger.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Start reading at elitefts.com. After 6 months of reading the website front to back, you will be good to go. Here are a few things i can tell you that i think will help.

Pull every week, one all out set of 3-5 and use the dead variations.

start doing standing overhead work

hammer your posterior and abs (not crunches)

Train the lifts, not the muscles.

The last one is a mindset you have to get in, if you want to train to be stronger.
yup he knows what hes talking about. and you can add in hytrophy work as well if u must. i go straight from power rack to bow flex type machine abd do light weight toning stuff

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
Just keep it simple, M/W/F squat/bench/dead days. Figure out your 1RM on all 3, then learn how to use Prilepin's table to figure out your training weights. All the fancy 'programs' out there that people swear by (5x5, 5/3/1, whatever) are basically manipulations of Prilepin's table. It's very easy to figure out a basic progressive 4-5 week cycle using that.

Work up to a couple of heavy singles or triples on your main exercise, do a heavy accessory movement in the 5x4-6 rep range (floor press for bench, etc) then 2 or 3 8-10 rep range hypertrophy and core. If you set it up like I did above, I'd do your main deadlift accessory after squats and vice versa.

For example (%s are a ROUGH estimate, just as examples):

Monday - Squat for triples, GMs or rack pulls 4x6, pull throughs 4x12, hanging leg raise 4x10

Wed - Bench 2x1 (90%), 3x3 (80%), weighted dips 5x8, DB front/rear raise superset 3x10/10, row 3x10, decline situps 3x10

Friday - Deadlift 5x1 (80/85/90/92.5/95%), opposite stance box squat 5x5, hypers 4x12, standing ab pulldowns 5x10

Mix up your accessory work every 3-4 weeks and take a deload week every 4 or 5 weeks and you can progress on something this simple for years and gains tons of strength and size (depending on diet of course).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Number 1 thing, IMO, is to learn how to effectively train the core and glute/hamstrings. These not only prevent injury, but also increase your lifts more than anything. Dynamic and static stretching should also be done at the end of every session.