training at home vs gym?

underdog13

Awards
how many people here train at home vs the gym? i feel much of the gym is a waste of time for me. Trainng at home is convenient for me in many ways. Im interested in training for strength and fitness. Therefore i feel all workouts must be practical and meet individuals needs. I do the powerlifts plus other things for strength in my bedroom and run round my local playing field for fitness. This makes most of the gym obsolete to me. umpteen machines are always inferior to free weights and have little if any absolute strength value.
As for treadmills why would anyone use them instead of running outside which is cheaper, practical has more variables and the run is more enjoyable because you have more things to see hear feel etc.
You also dont have any distractions or have to wait to use things although i guess a lot of people go for the social aspect of the gym which i understand too.

UndiluteD

UndiluteD

Awards
Well, i lvoe going to the gym because loads of machines/free weights so can work different muscle groups in different ways. Also there is the social side of the gym, you all got the same intrest in getting fit and can provide each other with help. Also i find taht if im paying for a membership it motivates me to go as i want to get the most outta my money. Also to do it at home the equipment would cost a load and would never match the standards of a gym.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I enjoy the female gymnasium scenery

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
I personally would love a home gym. Im planning on building one when i arrive back into the states. If you know your program, and what you need, building a gym should be great. Id say a good 1000 should provide you with a good gym.

sammoken22

Awards
I like to keep my options open, I do both:dl:

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I personally would love a home gym. Im planning on building one when i arrive back into the states. If you know your program, and what you need, building a gym should be great. Id say a good 1000 should provide you with a good gym.
$1000??? that would be really cheap. I'm thinking $5,000 would get you everything you need.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
ive will budget, get some used items and hand me downs. You could do the same in your area im sure of it

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
True didn't think of that, **** go around on garbage clean up day and you'll prob get a **** load of stuff for free. Too bad i don't have room for it though

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
For powerlifting it is hard to find a commercial gym that is friendly to your type of lifting. The guy that I train with has an awesome powerlifting set up in his garage so thats where I do all of my main lifts. I also go to a commercial gym to do accessory work, cardio (once a month or so lol), and recovery work. To get a home gym that would cover my needs I would need a good amount of equipment, here is my wishlist for one day:
Westside style rack - $700 - $1800
Flat Bench - ?
Glute Ham Raise - $900
Reverse Hyper - Already Own
Blast Straps - Already Own
High/Low pull down - ?
Rubber Mats, Rubber flooring
Power bar, deadlift bar, squat bar, giant camber bar, safety squat bar, buffalo bar, fat bar, fat rackable curl bar, and then a cheap oly bar for rack pulls.
Once I got all that I would have to make stuff like boards, squat box, deadlift platform, tiresled, etc.

Finally if I had the room and could find a used chest supported row, 45 back raise, and dip station I would be all set.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
All that is needed.
That looks sweet. In my early days, when my father trained me, i got some of my best core gains in a dirty dingy basement with like 50 year old equipment, no air conditioning and very little light.

vette00

vette00

Awards
I have a gym at my house and spent $30,000. That includes weights 100lbs-10 and 1000lbs in 45,35 and so on, DB 5lbs-155lbs, BB,elliptical, smith machine, power rack, BI/Tri machine, leg curl/ext machine, incline lever row, seated row, preacher curl,leg press, ab bench, cable system,fix bars 50lbs-150lbs, med balls, and multi adjustment bench.

Plus the mirrors and rubber mats for an area of 1,200 sq ft.

Yes, i did go a bit much but I wanted to have everything I needed to train. Plus a got a great deal because I bought it all at once.

I love training at the house (convenience).

powerstroker

Awards
I prefer lifting at home, it's just you and your weights. You don't have to wait for anyone to move on to your next lift.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
All that is needed.
i just ****ing nutted that is amazing i want it lol..

but as for ur question. Im a college student soo buying weight plates is a fortune for me. so this summer i was deadlifting 300 and bought to 45 pound plates and maxed 390 and i was like FU** i dont want to spend another 100 on plates so signed up for golds gym. I have a smith machine at home, which i bought when i first started lifting so i cant use that for squats.. My bench plateued forever from benching 3-4 times a week and no dumbell work just straight barbell. So i needed a gym now i do all my workouts at the gym except on bench day i bench at home because i can use the clips outside the smith machine and i can bench of the floor then i drive to golds to continue the rest to do dumbell work tricep work etc.. its about a 15 minute drive so crank the heat up and put a hoodie on to keep the muscles warm while i drive

twinskin

Awards
I spent 40.000 on my home gym, and i would never go to a public gym again, my music, my rules and my screams..
Fantastic..

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I train at Strong and Shapely in NJ. Great gym, mono, all kinds of bars, bumpers, dumbells to 250 and everything else i need, and it really is bodybuilding gym, which means i have all the machines i could ever want. The machine part is really an advantage even as a strength trianer. I also like going to the gym it really becomes part of your social life, not that you have to be chatty while you are working out. Another problem i have with home gyms is that without a group of guys coming over it can be dangerous to lift alone.

but all that being said as i get older and a family becomes a strong possibility i will someday have to train at home a little. I would probably try and build a home gym for half my week. I dont ever see myself benching alone.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
For powerlifting it is hard to find a commercial gym that is friendly to your type of lifting. The guy that I train with has an awesome powerlifting set up in his garage so thats where I do all of my main lifts. I also go to a commercial gym to do accessory work, cardio (once a month or so lol), and recovery work. To get a home gym that would cover my needs I would need a good amount of equipment, here is my wishlist for one day:
Westside style rack - $700 - $1800
Flat Bench - ?
Glute Ham Raise - $900
Reverse Hyper - Already Own
Blast Straps - Already Own
High/Low pull down - ?
Rubber Mats, Rubber flooring
Power bar, deadlift bar, squat bar, giant camber bar, safety squat bar, buffalo bar, fat bar, fat rackable curl bar, and then a cheap oly bar for rack pulls.
Once I got all that I would have to make stuff like boards, squat box, deadlift platform, tiresled, etc.

Finally if I had the room and could find a used chest supported row, 45 back raise, and dip station I would be all set.
Who you training with nowadays?

Bruce9241

Awards
I go to the gym because it's cheaper. Can't go wrong with $299 for 2 years at 24hour fitness. If I were to purchase the bar and plates I would spend more than $299 and that doesn't even include dumbells and benches. I also like scoping out 16year old ass.

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established
how many people here train at home vs the gym? i feel much of the gym is a waste of time for me. Trainng at home is convenient for me in many ways. Im interested in training for strength and fitness. Therefore i feel all workouts must be practical and meet individuals needs. I do the powerlifts plus other things for strength in my bedroom and run round my local playing field for fitness. This makes most of the gym obsolete to me. umpteen machines are always inferior to free weights and have little if any absolute strength value.
As for treadmills why would anyone use them instead of running outside which is cheaper, practical has more variables and the run is more enjoyable because you have more things to see hear feel etc.
You also dont have any distractions or have to wait to use things although i guess a lot of people go for the social aspect of the gym which i understand too.
I use the home gym/basement thing.
Mostly due to the hrs I work, it is really a matter convenience for me.
The only down side is when you are on the bench trying for 1 more rep and the bar comes down on ya. Although that can be really good motivation to get it up. :)

JP.

TeaEhRoar

Awards
I prefer training at home, and thats how i got into training decided i need to get stronger so i bought some dumbells (york), then a bench and barbell(marcy), and then punch man to work on my actual boxing skills, followed by a pull up bar,and then i bought the e-z curl bar and tricep bar together, and along the way i bought extra 10kg plates and 5kg. It cost me around £800 for all the exercise equipment i think, and then an extra £1800 to do my garage out as i had to replace the windows and roof, repaint it, replace the door dispose of old aspestos roof.

Fortunatly for me i decided to get more into training just as i got my first summer job and spent all my wages on it.

The advantages of training at home i think was that it allowed me to see what works for me as i was truly an amateur and didnt have a clue what i was doing, and when i eventualy met people at gyms etc i found that i had good little routine that most people were impressed with and that the results were that although i am small lad 5 ft 4 and 57kilo i was working at the same level as those much bigger than i was both in height and size.

TeaEhRoar

Awards
"I use the home gym/basement thing.
Mostly due to the hrs I work, it is really a matter convenience for me.
The only down side is when you are on the bench trying for 1 more rep and the bar comes down on ya. Although that can be really good motivation to get it up.

JP."

lol memories haha I used to to just tilt the bar side ways so one end touched the floor and then push with both hands on the side still above and slide out, don't know why i had to keep going to that extreme before i would end bench

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
defiantly love the gym for sure, to many distractions at home, the gym is my place to go and be left alone for some time and not deal with the bs in the real world, like others have said at a gym other ppl r there for support, competition, and ideas of how to train that could really help u out, if ur doing something wrong at home theres no one there that can help and u'll just keep doing it like that, not seeing the results u want