Raw Benching (Westside Style)

  1. Registered User
    Rhyno's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Beijing
    Age
    28
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    414

    Raw Benching (Westside Style)


    I read the Jim Wendler article about benching unequiped and it gave me some ideas about tweaking the traditional westside program.

    Could I do my board work (1,2,3 board presses) on DE day instead of the heavy lockout work? I'd keep the reps down to triples and alternate the number of boards used every two weeks.

  2. Registered User
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,008
    Rep Power
    2669

    I usually do board work after my dynamic pressing, it just works better for me than pin presses. You could probably up the reps a little bit though since it is an accessory lift. On my last DE upper body day we did tricep death for two sets, if you are unfamiliar with that exercise here is a Defranco clip of it:
    [youtube]9Spg8rk2Ouk[/youtube]
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  3. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    Sweet
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,008
    Rep Power
    2669

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Sweet
    If you are referring to tricep death as sweet then you have never completed one lol, they are definitely tough. We did ours a little different, we started with a full range bench and went up to a 5 board using three reps each time for a total of 18. After two sets I was ready to move on lol.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  5. Registered User
    Hbs6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    478
    Rep Power
    345

    GOt a question for you guys, I was thinking about either doing board presses or lockouts for my next ME upper run after i deload next week. Which one do you guys like better? I mean i know you can sink into the board and you cant do that on pins but the ROM will be the same...so I was wondering what makes each better/worse? By the way since I started doing more powerlifting/olympic/athlete style training not only has my physique improved but I can actually use my strength in the real world lol.
  6. Registered User
    rxp1997's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    47
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    13207

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    I read the Jim Wendler article about benching unequiped and it gave me some ideas about tweaking the traditional westside program.

    Could I do my board work (1,2,3 board presses) on DE day instead of the heavy lockout work? I'd keep the reps down to triples and alternate the number of boards used every two weeks.
    not familiar with that article... any chance you could link it? Big fan of his, currently trying his 5/3/1 program.
  7. Registered User
    Rhyno's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Beijing
    Age
    28
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    414
  8. Registered User
    rxp1997's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    47
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    13207

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Sweet, many thanks
  9. Registered User
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,008
    Rep Power
    2669

    Quote Originally Posted by Hbs6 View Post
    GOt a question for you guys, I was thinking about either doing board presses or lockouts for my next ME upper run after i deload next week. Which one do you guys like better? I mean i know you can sink into the board and you cant do that on pins but the ROM will be the same...so I was wondering what makes each better/worse? By the way since I started doing more powerlifting/olympic/athlete style training not only has my physique improved but I can actually use my strength in the real world lol.
    I like board presses a lot more because I feel like I can set up better for them and also follow a more natural bar path while pressing. With lockouts I just don't feel like I hit a good groove.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  10. Registered User
    Hbs6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    478
    Rep Power
    345

    THank you sir.
  11. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    I read the Jim Wendler article about benching unequiped and it gave me some ideas about tweaking the traditional westside program.

    Could I do my board work (1,2,3 board presses) on DE day instead of the heavy lockout work? I'd keep the reps down to triples and alternate the number of boards used every two weeks.

    what's your raw bench? if it's under 405 then dont change a thing.
  12. Registered User
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,008
    Rep Power
    2669

    Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2 View Post
    what's your raw bench? if it's under 405 then dont change a thing.
    I think a raw bencher would get more out of doing 2 and 3 boards instead of heavy rack work. You have to figure when doing rack work you are really only pushing the weight the last couple inches of the press so for an equipped lifter this may be beneficial because they can overload the area where the shirt has the least support and influence on your press. With board work someone will be able to work above their max but they can hammer their sticking points and create strength throughout the entire motion of a press. For most people they reach a sticking point about 3-4 inches off of there chest, so why not work that area specifically? With that being said, I think rack work is also beneficial because it will work your CNS and supporting muscles a great amount but I still would focus more on floor pressing or board pressing for a secondary exercise on dynamic days.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  13. Registered User
    thaOrleanyte's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    9105

    that is the first time ive seen that stuff done. Thats whats up
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  14. Gold Member
    wrkn4bigrmusles's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Age
    35
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    459
  15. Registered User
    Hbs6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    478
    Rep Power
    345

    nice article thank you.
  16. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I think a raw bencher would get more out of doing 2 and 3 boards instead of heavy rack work. You have to figure when doing rack work you are really only pushing the weight the last couple inches of the press so for an equipped lifter this may be beneficial because they can overload the area where the shirt has the least support and influence on your press. With board work someone will be able to work above their max but they can hammer their sticking points and create strength throughout the entire motion of a press. For most people they reach a sticking point about 3-4 inches off of there chest, so why not work that area specifically? With that being said, I think rack work is also beneficial because it will work your CNS and supporting muscles a great amount but I still would focus more on floor pressing or board pressing for a secondary exercise on dynamic days.
    becvause the 1, 2, 3 boards are to be done on his ME day. if he does them on his de day what will he do for his me excersize? if he does them on that day too he'll burn out, that's why you switch on your ME day. the rack work should stay in place because it's a supplemental excersize. NOT the main movement. follow the article how it is.
  17. Registered User
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,008
    Rep Power
    2669

    There is nothing written in stone that a 3 board can't be a secondary exercise. Your secondary exercise should really help you overload your sticking points. Most raw bencher's aren't going to stick at a lockout but they are actually going to be sticking at about the halfway point of their press. That is the beauty of the westside template, you can tailor it to your specific weak points.

    Don't get me wrong either, I am not trying to start an e-fight over this so I hope you realize I am just expressing my point of view. I do understand what your saying is that a beginner should stick to a proven system and follow it to a t.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  18. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    TeamSniffy
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    578

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    There is nothing written in stone that a 3 board can't be a secondary exercise. Your secondary exercise should really help you overload your sticking points. Most raw bencher's aren't going to stick at a lockout but they are actually going to be sticking at about the halfway point of their press. That is the beauty of the westside template, you can tailor it to your specific weak points.

    Don't get me wrong either, I am not trying to start an e-fight over this so I hope you realize I am just expressing my point of view. I do understand what your saying is that a beginner should stick to a proven system and follow it to a t.
    true, but if he brings in a 3board after his de work he has to take it out of his me rotation. personally i use it as a supplemental excersize after my shirt work. rack lockouts have done nothing but hurt my shoulders. now de day is no bar pressing but has been replaced with dbs and upper back work. and just because he's a raw bencher doesnt mean he has to ignore his lockout.
  19. Registered User
    Lene28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    114

    I agree rack lockouts do nothing but hurt my shoulders as well. I would not do a 3 board for a supplemental exercise on his DE day because it is too taxing on the CNS. I too only do dumbbell work on my DE day or Repetition day. That is what it is for, either building your speed or trying to gain some more mass. He could do Triceps death on DE day and I think that would be fine, but keep the board work where it belongs on ME day...and keep'em heavy!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. manual benching vs machine benching
    By darkvard in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
  2. Benching
    By chuck66 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 08:55 PM
  3. Benching
    By meb019 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 04:41 AM
  4. Heavy Liftin', Westside Style
    By Big Boss in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 08:28 AM
  5. westside?
    By Steelwolf in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 03:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.