Raw Benching (Westside Style)

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
I read the Jim Wendler article about benching unequiped and it gave me some ideas about tweaking the traditional westside program.

Could I do my board work (1,2,3 board presses) on DE day instead of the heavy lockout work? I'd keep the reps down to triples and alternate the number of boards used every two weeks.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I usually do board work after my dynamic pressing, it just works better for me than pin presses. You could probably up the reps a little bit though since it is an accessory lift. On my last DE upper body day we did tricep death for two sets, if you are unfamiliar with that exercise here is a Defranco clip of it:
[youtube]9Spg8rk2Ouk[/youtube]

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
If you are referring to tricep death as sweet then you have never completed one lol, they are definitely tough. We did ours a little different, we started with a full range bench and went up to a 5 board using three reps each time for a total of 18. After two sets I was ready to move on lol.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
GOt a question for you guys, I was thinking about either doing board presses or lockouts for my next ME upper run after i deload next week. Which one do you guys like better? I mean i know you can sink into the board and you cant do that on pins but the ROM will be the same...so I was wondering what makes each better/worse? By the way since I started doing more powerlifting/olympic/athlete style training not only has my physique improved but I can actually use my strength in the real world lol.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
I read the Jim Wendler article about benching unequiped and it gave me some ideas about tweaking the traditional westside program.

Could I do my board work (1,2,3 board presses) on DE day instead of the heavy lockout work? I'd keep the reps down to triples and alternate the number of boards used every two weeks.
not familiar with that article... any chance you could link it? Big fan of his, currently trying his 5/3/1 program.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
GOt a question for you guys, I was thinking about either doing board presses or lockouts for my next ME upper run after i deload next week. Which one do you guys like better? I mean i know you can sink into the board and you cant do that on pins but the ROM will be the same...so I was wondering what makes each better/worse? By the way since I started doing more powerlifting/olympic/athlete style training not only has my physique improved but I can actually use my strength in the real world lol.
I like board presses a lot more because I feel like I can set up better for them and also follow a more natural bar path while pressing. With lockouts I just don't feel like I hit a good groove.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

what's your raw bench? if it's under 405 then dont change a thing.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
what's your raw bench? if it's under 405 then dont change a thing.
I think a raw bencher would get more out of doing 2 and 3 boards instead of heavy rack work. You have to figure when doing rack work you are really only pushing the weight the last couple inches of the press so for an equipped lifter this may be beneficial because they can overload the area where the shirt has the least support and influence on your press. With board work someone will be able to work above their max but they can hammer their sticking points and create strength throughout the entire motion of a press. For most people they reach a sticking point about 3-4 inches off of there chest, so why not work that area specifically? With that being said, I think rack work is also beneficial because it will work your CNS and supporting muscles a great amount but I still would focus more on floor pressing or board pressing for a secondary exercise on dynamic days.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
that is the first time ive seen that stuff done. Thats whats up

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think a raw bencher would get more out of doing 2 and 3 boards instead of heavy rack work. You have to figure when doing rack work you are really only pushing the weight the last couple inches of the press so for an equipped lifter this may be beneficial because they can overload the area where the shirt has the least support and influence on your press. With board work someone will be able to work above their max but they can hammer their sticking points and create strength throughout the entire motion of a press. For most people they reach a sticking point about 3-4 inches off of there chest, so why not work that area specifically? With that being said, I think rack work is also beneficial because it will work your CNS and supporting muscles a great amount but I still would focus more on floor pressing or board pressing for a secondary exercise on dynamic days.
becvause the 1, 2, 3 boards are to be done on his ME day. if he does them on his de day what will he do for his me excersize? if he does them on that day too he'll burn out, that's why you switch on your ME day. the rack work should stay in place because it's a supplemental excersize. NOT the main movement. follow the article how it is.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
There is nothing written in stone that a 3 board can't be a secondary exercise. Your secondary exercise should really help you overload your sticking points. Most raw bencher's aren't going to stick at a lockout but they are actually going to be sticking at about the halfway point of their press. That is the beauty of the westside template, you can tailor it to your specific weak points.

Don't get me wrong either, I am not trying to start an e-fight over this so I hope you realize I am just expressing my point of view. I do understand what your saying is that a beginner should stick to a proven system and follow it to a t.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There is nothing written in stone that a 3 board can't be a secondary exercise. Your secondary exercise should really help you overload your sticking points. Most raw bencher's aren't going to stick at a lockout but they are actually going to be sticking at about the halfway point of their press. That is the beauty of the westside template, you can tailor it to your specific weak points.

Don't get me wrong either, I am not trying to start an e-fight over this so I hope you realize I am just expressing my point of view. I do understand what your saying is that a beginner should stick to a proven system and follow it to a t.
true, but if he brings in a 3board after his de work he has to take it out of his me rotation. personally i use it as a supplemental excersize after my shirt work. rack lockouts have done nothing but hurt my shoulders. now de day is no bar pressing but has been replaced with dbs and upper back work. and just because he's a raw bencher doesnt mean he has to ignore his lockout.

Lene28

Awards
I agree rack lockouts do nothing but hurt my shoulders as well. I would not do a 3 board for a supplemental exercise on his DE day because it is too taxing on the CNS. I too only do dumbbell work on my DE day or Repetition day. That is what it is for, either building your speed or trying to gain some more mass. He could do Triceps death on DE day and I think that would be fine, but keep the board work where it belongs on ME day...and keep'em heavy!