F**cking Gas Prices

enzo1

Awards
These gas prices are becoming increasingly ridiculous. How does the gas jump .20 cents a gallon in one day. We are almost at 3.00. Is there an end in sight. Someone is getting rich and it's not us. I need a raise to pay for the gas at the pump.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Was thinking the same thing today :aargh: . Luckily I live close enough to school and work that a bike ride is possible. Plus I could use some cardio every now and then.

I heard from somebody (could be full of ****) that a bill has been signed that gives all owners of Hybrids like $2k at the end of the year....makes me think. Anybody else heard this?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I did hear about that and I think it was a rider on the energy bill...
and DT, I am like you I am close enough to work I could ride my bike if I needed to.. or decided that I need to save my gas for going to my grad classes..
But it is retarded that the gas prices are going up but at the same time I have seen estimates that we don't have but 20-50 years worth of oil unless we have other countries start using more like India and China, then the estimates start dipping even lower to 10 or 15 years.. I just hope that we decide soon that we don't really need oil in our future and start working extremely hard on alt fuel sources..

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
and DT, I am like you I am close enough to work I could ride my bike if I needed to.. or decided that I need to save my gas for going to my grad classes..
But it is retarded that the gas prices are going up but at the same time I have seen estimates that we don't have but 20-50 years worth of oil unless we have other countries start using more like India and China, then the estimates start dipping even lower to 10 or 15 years.. I just hope that we decide soon that we don't really need oil in our future and start working extremely hard on alt fuel sources..
Agreed. I made the switch from a Chevy Blazer to a Toyota Celica and it has helped a lot. I think my breaking point would be $3/gallon...no way am I willing/able to pay that

builtolast

Awards
Anybody know anything about those new hybrids coming out? I am not very car savvy and was seriously considering making one of these my first car. Also, how are motorcycles on gas? Like a 750cc Triumph? What would that cost me as far as gas i concerned?

RipdnTxs2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
A few of my friends laughed at me when I got a hond civic coupe two years ago, but I am laughing now at around 42 mpg, I was listening to some so called expert on this subject and his response was, selling gas is just like selling a house, why would a realtor sell a house for less that what people would pay for it, as long as we pay these high prices they will not drop, he called it free enterprise, however someone puts it, it still sucks

Blackwolf

Awards
Hey everyone, well the kicker is ALL the oil companies posted 2 quarter profits
and they were way up there. Exxon was about 7.5 billion $ profit for just
2nd quarter ! They had the most profit.. other companies only had $3-5
billion dollar profit, ( don't cha just feel sorry for them ! not).

Hey Builtolasst, those hybrids are good, I was looking at the Ford Escape,
the only problem is that the difference between the Hybrid Escape and
the 6 cylinder(gas) Escape with the same features is; you end up paying
$4000 more for the Hybrid ! Read it on some article and they said with the
price hike it wasn't worth it yet ,not unless you just got to have one.

If I could get a hybrid for the same price as the gas vehicle I'd definately
go for the hybrid.

As far as motorcycles go , the triumph 750 should get 40-45 mpg?
I have had motorcycles my whole adult life, and they really help with
saving on gas. Plus they are fun to ride !

good luck
joe

Anybody know anything about those new hybrids coming out? I am not very car savvy and was seriously considering making one of these my first car. Also, how are motorcycles on gas? Like a 750cc Triumph? What would that cost me as far as gas i concerned?

tiggermoon

tiggermoon

Awards
this is what i heard on the cavuto show (fox news)

gas station owners do not set the price per gallon, they are TOLD what to charge, the PPG is not related to the current supply of nor price per barrel of oil but to what the CEO's think it will cost years in the future. ie the war and rumors of wars. somebody living in a mansion is always making money off your misfortune. :rasp::rasp::rasp::rasp:

ShadowOne

Awards
I know Americans like to complain about gas prices since we're used to paying under $2 per gallon. But the reality is that we have it relatively cheap. I'm still looking in a Hybrid SUV, nonetheless.

buffb2

buffb2

Awards
I Didnt VOTE for HIM!!! Ohh yeah your oil buddy BUSH. All i can say is i didnt vote for him.

size

Awards
  • Established
The oil price pressure being felt is one caused by demand and not supply. With expanding and growing economies around the globe, demand is the driving force. India and China are now serious oil consumers which pushes demand. During the 1970s the USA experienced a supply related oil shock; the scenario today in the USA and others countries is very different. Oil prices in reality are not outrageously high when one adjusts for inflation.

Last edited:
kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I Didnt VOTE for HIM!!! Ohh yeah your oil buddy BUSH. All i can say is i didnt vote for him.
Umm....huh?????

Please tell me you don't believe Bush has something to do with this!

Bush has a shiload to do with tons of other problems and stupid ****, but our oil problem is not one of them. Pick one of the legitimate (one of thousands) reasons to trash Bush.

Size....now...screw inflation. All I know is that my wallet is deflating :D lol...just messin'...I"m rollin' a civic these days--got rid of the tundra--so, gas ain't too bad for me.

darius

When it gets $3.50 a gallon, cause right now its $2.80 here in Dallas, I want this:

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I have 2 jobs, one 65 miles one way and other 55 miles away. Spent fucking 500$ in last 4 weeks just on gas. Crazy.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
time to bust out my bandit 600. i get like 50 miles on that bike, but i want gixxer now.

Blackwolf

Awards
Hey jmh80,
The oil companies LOVE it when the price of oil goes up, and
wouldn't doubt it one bit if they encourage high prices. No telling
how they or what they do to keep it high...

PRICE GOUGING, and it's going on right now....
8 billion $ profit , give me a break, how about building some
oil refineries ? They been saying that for years.....

I guarantee that Oil companies are testing the american people right now
as far as how high they can raise the price of oil/gas before
the majority of people start walking the streets in protest.
It's amazing how fast the gas stations raise the price of gas from one
day to the next , and so slow to bring it down when the price of oil
goes down.

Glad you're making a profit, but more than a few americans are starting to
feel the crunch......
at least the ones I know.....

joe

Blackwolf,
XOM did post record profits. But it ain't because of the price of gas. Companies make a nickel a gallon.

They'll continue to print money if their prime product (crude oil) is trading at such a high price. Hello!

Besides, I like the profits. Helps me keep my job.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Hey jmh80,
The oil companies LOVE it when the price of oil goes up, and
wouldn't doubt it one bit if they encourage high prices. No telling
how they or what they do to keep it high...
The economics of oil is a little more complicated than that. There are different types of crude that can be refined to certain products, not all to gasoline. There are a myriad of suppliers around the world. There are also a myriad of reasons for high gas prices and the high price of oil overall. Uncertainty, a shitload of regulations saying what gas can be sold where, requiring separate shipping, storage, etc. A shitload more regulations stopping the building of new refineries. No ownership in resources, pushing oil companies into a present oriented mode which usually leads to wild price fluctuations. Etc. The oil companies don't love it anymore than anyone else because a high price doesn't automatically translate into a high profit. People make a mistake when they think that when a price goes up the difference between the previous and current price is pure profit. If Americans, of which I am one, are sick of paying so much for gas, they should stop driving so much.

PRICE GOUGING, and it's going on right now....
8 billion $ profit , give me a break, how about building some
oil refineries ? They been saying that for years.....
Try getting one built. You'll also find a shitload of economists who are finally admitting price gouging is a political concept, not an economic one. The owner of something has the right to charge whatever they want for it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Yup, that's exactly what they want. To spark protests in the street against themselves.

It's amazing how fast the gas stations raise the price of gas from one
day to the next , and so slow to bring it down when the price of oil
goes down.
Uncertainty hits fast and dies slow. It's just a fact of life. Perhaps if oil companies were allowed ownership of the resources they bust their asses to find instead of submitting to freedom of the seas they could allocate resources better. That way if they tap a field it doesn't have to be pumped dry before someone else comes in and does it. This would allow companies more freedom to speculate on future trends and hold back some production in the present to allocate those resources to the future, where they're needed. It's the difference of seeing prices go real low and then real high and seeing them go moderately lower and then a lot higher, ie. (1.65 to 2.15 per gallon instead of 1.25 to 2.95 per gallon). Also we in the US could drop regional regulations so gas that's sold in one state can be sold in another. That would relax shipping and storage costs. That would also make it easier for refineries to cover each other if one has to drop below operating at near 100% capacity. Right now since the same gas can't be sold everywhere regional shortages can and do lead to more wild price fluctuations. Speaking of which, kill the NIMBY groups so more refineries can be built.

Glad you're making a profit, but more than a few americans are starting to
feel the crunch......
at least the ones I know.....

joe
If he weren't making a profit the business wouldn't be there producing oil to begin with. He has a right to profit from his work. No one has the right to cheap oil or gas at some elses' expense, whatever they may expect. Since the market when allowed to operate without interference has reduced the prices of everything from computers to cars to clothes to televisions, maybe we could get the government out of the business of fucking with the oil markets so heavily and regulating the related industries so heavily and you'd see a price drop over time like in any other business. If they're starting to feel the crunch the market is doing what it should. A resource exists which is surrounded by uncertainty and high demand. The price goes up, people buy less, this heads off future shortages which would happen if companies were forced to keep selling at artificially lower prices. So it comes down to this: would you rather have gas at near 3 bucks a gallon now or 2 bucks a gallon now and then 6 bucks a gallon in a year, or no gas at all in a year?

Despite the winces of pain they can cause, prices, any price, are just information. They are a measure of value, the only objective one that exists.

Brooklyn

Awards
The economics of oil is a little more complicated than that.
No, it's a red tape issue. We have a government which refuses to cut through red tape. Speaking of red, how many people are seeing red over what is perceived as President Bush's reluctance to assist with the rampant increases in fuel prices? It seems rather clear when the Saudis go against OPEC and produce more oil as if it is a favor to us... that it actually benefits them and oil prices here do not decrease.

That won't happen. America has become too pussified to protest much of anything. This country lets atrocities far more appalling than gas prices go unanswered. They'll just be a lot of bitching and moaning and for some, economy car purchases. Take New Jersey as an example. Has anyone ever actually protested the absurd levies on driving and living in that state? Has anyone looked at how much it costs just to have the ability to drive in New York? You're taxed on property you already own, as if you owe something to the government for you owning a piece of the "Land of the Free." In some states, you pay property taxes on your car every year. Kansas raised traffic violations fines to three times as much money as they were before. I don't see revolts in the streets on account of any of this. No, the gas companies, like the government, will continue to rape America and Americans will continue to bend over and take it. Now you tell me, is that pessimism or is that reality?

What is this silliness which assumes an oil shortage as the cause of the high prices? There is no such shortage. The shortage is not in supply of crude but in supply of refined oil. It's refineries which there is a shortage of. Find a way to build more and that oil company excuse will be null and void. This is what the President should be focusing on, if he had the ability to focus on anything but his own interests and what his advisors tell him to do. Since when has Bush cared about environmentalists?

If Americans, of which I am one, are sick of paying so much for gas, they should stop driving so much.
In the Shakespearean play Julius Caesar, Brutus is an idealist. Led to believe through unrealistic ideas on how to restore Rome's former glory by Cassius the power-hungry cynic, he murders his friend and patriot Caesar. The problem is that the Rome of Brutus' dreams never truly existed. It was a concept; a pipe dream of what could be, or what should be. Similar is any comment on America greatly reducing its vehicle use. That is, shall I say, highly unlikely. Let us not speculate first on the most unlikely of probabilties, lest we come to find regret too late as did Brutus.

Ethereal

Awards
I saw we all boycott Exon Mobile and just go to other gas station like Citgo, Liberty, 76, Chevron, whatever, but stop going Exon Mobile. When the E-M brings their prices down, everyone else has to compete.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow... Im over in germany.. and trust me... America has it cheap compared. When the dollar is converted, and all it is about 5 - 6 bux a gallon here.

Adams

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok.

Last edited:

Blackwolf

Awards
Hey jmh80, well, it doesn't matter if the company has a high selling price/margin when
they are still making record profits does it?

As far as the refineries go, you know there's corrutption involved, with the people
that have to appove the paper work then. They probably are getting cut-backs or
some type of perks to keep the number of refineries low. You hear about this sort
of thing in all walks of life. We knew years and years ago we needed more oil
refineries.
Lobbiest and greed.....

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/11/lobby.america/index.html

Lou Dobbs talks about it all the time, you may not agree with him,but how about
this highway bill that just passed? 15 billion $ tax breaks for oil companies ! lol.

Hey CDB, good post, I know it's complicated, but the strange thing is
as soon as the price of oil goes up gas prices at the pump rise, but when
the price of oil goes down , it takes a lot longer for it to trickle down to the
gas stations.

Well, it easy to say don't like it don't buy it , but when it comes to gas, if that
happened the poor/middle class would be the first to suffer, as many are already.

The record profits should speak for itself.

joe

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Personally I wish that we would move complete away from the use of petro-chemicals in general...

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Personally I wish that we would move complete away from the use of petro-chemicals in general...
Just like my generation would like to see the younger generation pull themselves away from their X- Box, get up of their fat asses and exercise more. Probably never happen.

Higher gas prices mean less cars on the road, what a blessing. We all need to get good education to get good jobs to pay for gas. People who are struggling to pay for gas here in S. Florida don't have insurance either. You can now have the six pack you have always wanted, when your beer money goes in your gas tank. You wake up with no hangover and drive wherever the hell you want. The possibilities are endless.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Time to chime in and I'm sure it's going to irk some.

What are gas prices like compared to Europe? I'm pretty sure the US is DRASTICALLY lower. Perhaps I'm wrong.

The problem with the US is we don't want to be inconvenienced. We want to drive our gas-guzzling machines everywhere. We drive our trucks our big cars and then complain about gas prices. Why not get an economical car? Well, of course, we need a vehicle for our boat, we need to haul our kids, blah blah blah. Again, the convenience factor. I don't buy it.

What about public transportation? Well that inconvenient. I live in Minneapolis, a metro area and people heavily UNDER utilize public transportation. Why? Convenience. We want to be able to leave when we want. We don't want to add an extra 30 minutes to our commute. Time is money you know! Again, people don't want to be inconvenienced. Take the bus and schedule your meetings accordingly. Don't enroll your kids in 12 activities and force them to figure out their own things to do and use their mind. Or heaven forbid they go to the park and play instead of going to a scheduled activity.

My wife and I are just as guilty as anyone else in the US, but we're slowly realizing there are many way to cut costs DRASTICLY and NOT use the car for every single thing we want to do. We now carpool to work, and have made it work.

Do you really NEED a truck, a car, a van? Probably not, but we want the convenience. How are going to tow our boat or live without? Well, that's what you pay for... you live in the most convenienced country in the world... you can do anything you want with more luxuries than anywhere else... so a few extra dollars for gas should hardly kill you.

Instead of 3 trips to the store a week, why not make one? Why not live without the milk for a couple more days?

Sry, but the gas complaint is one that I don't see eye-to-eye with many on. We're so spoiled with the gas prices we have compared to others that I think we need to open our eyes and see how spoiled we really are and we truly have over here. We've CREATED our own dependence and now it's starting to hurt a little and instead of looking at how to remedy it with other options, we complain.

Ok, sry, I'm done with my soapbox... and I'm sorry to criticize, but it comes back to the laziness factor so often and that really irks me with the US. We're fat and lazy and this is just another example of how we want every convenience all the time.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think there is 'red tape' and politics in every market. Look at the diamond business. DeBeers carefully controls that market yet you dont see people marching with pitchforks about it.

In North America we are used to having our cake and eating it too. However the global reality is catching up with us. Emerging economies are increasing demand and supply is slowly decreasing - it's as simple as that.

I have to admit that I was disappointed when Bush declared that he would not back energy conservation if it there was potential for negative impact on the economy. Given fossil fuel projections and the reliance on oil from 'unstable' foreign countries, I thought it was a great opportunity to get the ball rolling. With some government tax incentives we could have had competitively priced hybrid or diesel technology by now.

Where I live in Canada, gas prices are US$3.40 per gallon. They are even higher in Europe but at least they have extensive and clean diesel options, even for larger passenger cars. Not too mention closer proximities and (usually) decent public transportation.

So I think we need to stop bellyaching about the prices. If we want to make a statement, vote with our dollars and do whatever we can to use less energy.

Uppercut

Awards
Try the UK @ £4 a gallon (£7.23852 us dollars to be precise)
You guys need to make a stand now, a few years ago us brits tried to stand up to the price rises but the goverment knew that all they had too do was sit tight and we would back down. true enough as soon as the supermarkets started to run dry we just folded over like a badly stacked house a cards...now they have us over a (oil) Barrell and now they just sit and rub their hands as everytime we fill up at least 80% of it is tax and goes straight in their coffers.

:shaftedinass:

Brooklyn

Awards
What are gas prices like compared to Europe? I'm pretty sure the US is DRASTICALLY lower.
So what you're actually implying is that Europeans are pretty dumb for paying such high prices for gas all along. This doesn't mean that Americans should pay more. The complaint of Europeans has always been paying far more for gasoline. Maybe they should try getting their politicians to get better deals on oil and lower the taxes on its importation. Perspective is important.

In North America we are used to having our cake and eating it too. However the global reality is catching up with us. Emerging economies are increasing demand and supply is slowly decreasing - it's as simple as that.
That's absurd. There is no lack of raw crude supply for the next 50 years or more. Perhaps we haven't found enough of it, but all projections I've seen have shown that there is enough oil in the earth to support continued fossil fuel use. I will repeat, there are not enough refineries with the capacity to process the oil. Oil companies like higher prices. They make more money. Why should they go through the hassle of building new refineries when they can make more profit with less effort?

I have to admit that I was disappointed when Bush declared that he would not back energy conservation if it there was potential for negative impact on the economy.
You were disappointed, but please don't tell me you were surprised. This is a man who has spent his life working in the oil industry, who is friends with big oil owners like the bin Ladins, who has done nothing but destroy environmental preservation regulations since he entered office. What exactly did you expect?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That's absurd. There is no lack of raw crude supply for the next 50 years or more. Perhaps we haven't found enough of it, but all projections I've seen have shown that there is enough oil in the earth to support continued fossil fuel use. I will repeat, there are not enough refineries with the capacity to process the oil. Oil companies like higher prices. They make more money. Why should they go through the hassle of building new refineries when they can make more profit with less effort?

You were disappointed, but please don't tell me you were surprised. This is a man who has spent his life working in the oil industry, who is friends with big oil owners like the bin Ladins, who has done nothing but destroy environmental preservation regulations since he entered office. What exactly did you expect?
Hardly absurd. Crude oil supply, refineries, dead Saudi Kings, voodoo hexes, whatever... There is inadequate supply to achieve the prices that people are more comfortable with. I think it is unrealistic to expect one's governement to dictate international corporation decisions. That's not to say it cant be done. Monetary incentives, political pressure, or even military action are viable but not always cost effective or ethical. Not too mention contrary to the spirit of the free-market system that our countries are built on.

As for Bush, being Canadian, I knew nothing about him until he was elected. Being each others neighbour and largest trading partner, canadians are not totally ignorant of US politics but our knowledge is typically limited to the top tier Feds (or whoever jumps in from pop culture). Although I will admit that I'm surprised that he has not taken some remedial action given the market situation and his connection to the oil industry (and now conflict of interest).

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established

This is a total fallacy. The tar pits in Canada contain an estimated 260 billion barrels of oil just waiting to be tapped. That is more than all of the Middle East. If the planet continues to use oil at its current rate, that resource alone will keep going for at least 100 years, and that is just one source of oil. Granted oil use will go up, but this whole thing about oil becoming scarce are nothing more than scare tactics by misguided and misinformed "experts".

On top of that North America contains an estimated 730million year coal reserve.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Mach I am older than you are ;) And as for pulling younger generation from the X box.. my two kids don't even own one... and won't

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
This is a total fallacy. The tar pits in Canada contain an estimated 260 billion barrels of oil just waiting to be tapped. That is more than all of the Middle East. If the planet continues to use oil at its current rate, that resource alone will keep going for at least 100 years, and that is just one source of oil. Granted oil use will go up, but this whole thing about oil becoming scarce are nothing more than scare tactics by misguided and misinformed "experts".

On top of that North America contains an estimated 730million year coal reserve.
I guess that the damage caused to the environment do from mining, drilling, and use of fossil fuels is just a scare tactic also? and just because it is there does that mean it can be used?

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Hey, I'm all for the Star Trek lifestyle, with antimatter and dilithium crystals being our power source, but until we have those things, we might as well use what we have.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I sold my truck and bought a Honda Accord. (freaking awesome car - 28mpg average city/hwy, 33+ on long trips). When I have the proper facilites, Ill be driving a diesel converted to run on vegetable oil.

Energy is something we all need, and the 'man' is just going to use it as another vehicle to enslave the middle and lower socioeconomic class and keep them where they are - mindless spending, buying what the media tells them to. They have to if they are to hold on to their positions of power,wealth and influence.

Does that soccer mom 'need' that GMC Denali? Nope. But they'll keep buying, and fuel prices will keep rising. And Ill drive around with death metal blasting out of my fryer oil powered VW telling everyone to go fu*k themselves:)

BV

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Mach I am older than you are ;) And as for pulling younger generation from the X box.. my two kids don't even own one... and won't
Good man. They are most likely athletic as well. Keep up the good work.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I'm not taking star trek... I am talking about things like solar power Fox

Blackwolf

Awards
Hey jmh80, thanks for understanding the frustration....

I saw Lou Dobbs talking about refineries in Usa today and he basicly
was saying that 6(or maybe 7? don't remember)
refineries were off line in america right now and another (7 or 6?)
weren't running at full capacity.. He said why all of a sudden were so
many down or partially down when we need them up and running ?
I can tell your knowledge is way over my head in this subject, and really
don't have much time for debating, but appreciate you taking the time
to try and explain your side......
I still think at this time , the oil companies should be trying to work
with the america people ....
just my opinion....
It will have a back firing effect sooner or later....

joe

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
Crude and distillate inventories are higher now than they were when oil was hitting $40. There aren't any shortages of distillates other than jet fuel in some markets due to "just in time" inventory management by the airlines. They adopted this approach b/c they neglected to hedge their exposure to crude.

The price at the pump is nearly a perfect correlation to the price of unleaded futures. There is convexity related to taxes, carry and storage+shipping, but it's pennies. I trade 1000s of crude oil option contracts a week. Trust me, the only conspiracy is the lemmings that make up the hedge fund community. The price is rallying due to speculative positions. Buying begets buying, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Have fun at over $3.50 around the country by next April. No thanks to our spinless Congressmen for not attempting legislation around the US for MTBE.

See - I was close. It was around $3 in most of the US. All Congress' fault....

Last edited:
kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Have fun at over $3.50 around the country by next April. No thanks to our spinless Congressmen for not attempting legislation around the US for MTBE.
OMFG you've got to be kidding me? :(

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'm serious.

Supply and demand bro. Supply and demand.
The prices haven't caught up to the meteoric rise in crude in the last 3 weeks (over $10). EVEN IF crude stabalizes, gas will rise independent.

size

Awards
  • Established
I'm serious. Supply and demand bro. Supply and demand.
Markets move towards equilibrium; this is currently a demand related issue not a supply issue. Some economists will tell you that oil prices are "falsely" elevated due to a "terrorism tax" being levied on prices. Some specualte that this "terrorism tax" could be anywhere from 10-20 american dollars.

Also, I think it is important to recognize that OPEC is a oligopoly. In such a market form, collusion is rather simple. OPEC is a cartel and thus cartel economics apply. Cartels tend to limit supply (often falsely) to fix prices or increase prices. In the long run, one member of the cartel will break rank and prices will move (often down) again.