Romney's Running mate

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There has been a lot of buzz about Romney's selection, most recently the Condi Rice news. Who do you think he chooses, and will it matter? Here would be my short list if I am in Romney's shoes

1. Rob Portman- do no harm
2. Paul Ryan- young and comes off intelligent whether you like his budget plan or not
3. Tim Pawlenty- see #1
4. Condoleeza Rice- major drawback with the Bush admin.
5. Marco Rubio- not a fan, but is popular with the base
6. Rand Paul- name recognition for dads supporters

Personally, Chris Christie is way too dangerous and too overshadowing (not a fat joke) for Romney.

Who would you choose?

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Condi Rice talk recently was just to change the narrative for Romney. She has no chance of being the pick. Pro immigration and pro choice, two issues that Mitt had to dive far right in the primary on flip flopping from earlier positions. She moves the discussion from the economy to social issues and back to the failed Bush years. If the debate becomes about these things it's a huge plus for Obama because it keeps everyone talking against the one thing Romney needs the election to be on which is the economy.

Honestly it's laughable to me that people are taking the "trial balloon" of her seriously. Seriously how awkward was it for Romney to get endorsed by Cheney alone? Gee thanks, here's an endorsement from someone with the same approval rating as Ted Bundy! Do they really want to replay the Bush years?

Everything about his campaign has been don't shake the tree too hard and play it safe. I think it's one of your top 3.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Condi Rice talk recently was just to change the narrative for Romney. She has no chance of being the pick. Pro immigration and pro choice, two issues that Mitt had to dive far right in the primary on flip flopping from earlier positions. She moves the discussion from the economy to social issues and back to the failed Bush years. If the debate becomes about these things it's a huge plus for Obama because it keeps everyone talking against the one thing Romney needs the election to be on which is the economy.

Honestly it's laughable to me that people are taking the "trial balloon" of her seriously. Seriously how awkward was it for Romney to get endorsed by Cheney alone? Gee thanks, here's an endorsement from someone with the same approval rating as Ted Bundy! Do they really want to replay the Bush years?

Everything about his campaign has been don't shake the tree too hard and play it safe. I think it's one of your top 3.
The Ted Bundy comment is hilarious. Gun to my head I think it's Portman

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Ted Bundy comment is hilarious. Gun to my head I think it's Portman
I could see that and obviously he needs Ohio though you could say that about Rubio and Florida as well. The Rice play might have made since 4 years ago, but the GOP has tacked hard right. After all the Tea Party with the "get rid of RINO's" mentality has spent the last few years trying to get rid of people not conservative enough. And Condi in today's GOP certainly doesn't pass the not conservative enough test IMO.

I mean I might like it because moderate Republicans rock a lot more to me than far righties, but the base is already ho hum over Romney's conservative credentials. I think he faces a serious enthusiasm problem if picking her.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't see Rubio, he is too young and inexperienced and there are a few skeletons in the closet ha have only just started to come out. I think Portman is a safe pick, who is also Romney's debate coach.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I can't see Rubio, he is too young and inexperienced and there are a few skeletons in the closet ha have only just started to come out. I think Portman is a safe pick, who is also Romney's debate coach.
This cracks me up when someone says a person is too inexperienced to run when we have Obama in the White House.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think General Patreus would be a very interesting pick for Romney, in this particular time with so many Americans concerned with WMD's and terrorism it would make an ideal "Fear and Pick Me and you will Live" type campaign.

I doubt that would happen, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was taken into consideration.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This cracks me up when someone says a person is too inexperienced to run when we have Obama in the White House.
I understand where you are coming from, but with Rubio his inexperience is the least of his worries. The student loan issue, the "untruths" in his bio... He is far better off on the sideline.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know what you mean, but to me the point of a VP pick is to make solid distinctions between yourself and the other guy. If they pick Rice she has some very similar views to Obama. If you want to call Obama inexperienced and say "this guy wasn't ready for the highest office" then that knock against Rubio works.

In the last election I think McCain was having some real success talking about Obama's lack of experience...once he picked Palin who was equally inexperienced that argument flew right out the window and you really didn't see the campaign come back to it.

It's precisely why Romney will have such a hard time running against ACA. You can't be the architect of damn near the same thing and talk about how horrible it is and have people take you seriously. You can't pick a young inexperienced running mate and then go out and say "we tried to go young and inexperienced and look at us now."

Ax: Interesting how Petraeus hasn't been in the mix. Early on he was someone many people were talking about and I just haven't heard his name in a while. I think he would pose real problems for team Obama.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
He needs a libertarian.

smutty

smutty

Awards
why no call for sarah palin again? I still see her on fox news, she seems to stand for everything the far right wants.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
why no call for sarah palin again? I still see her on fox news, she seems to stand for everything the far right wants.
I think she just wants to be a celebrity and make as much money as possible for now.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think she just wants to be a celebrity and make as much money as possible for now.
Agreed. She was a disaster 4 years ago and would be no different now.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think General Patreus would be a very interesting pick for Romney, in this particular time with so many Americans concerned with WMD's and terrorism it would make an ideal "Fear and Pick Me and you will Live" type campaign.

I doubt that would happen, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was taken into consideration.
If this were to happen they would garner essentially the entire is military's vote and would be a decisive blow.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
She has only one true role and she plays it well. A distraction. The opponents focus on her and while doing so a lot of things are slipped past them in other areas.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If this were to happen they would garner essentially the entire is military's vote and would be a decisive blow.

I didn't realize he was Obama's current CIA director. Shows what I know. For some reason I thought he was doing whatever he wanted now. No wonder I never hear mention of him for VP anymore.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't realize he was Obama's current CIA director. Shows what I know. For some reason I thought he was doing whatever he wanted now. No wonder I never hear mention of him for VP anymore.
Ya, sorry, I just assumed you all knew his current position. Director of the CIA position was why he resigned from the military. A position I whole heartily support him for and one of the things I feel Obama has done right. He let it be known before he left service that he was not or would not seek the office. Like I said though, of he were to he would have the backing of the whole military. Which historically hasn't always meant to be a game changer, but that's mostly due to te fact the majority of the military often doesn't vote. Reason being is we are mostly away from our home states etc etc and have to vote via absentee ballots and such and can be a bit of a hassle. When rallied together it can be a sizable amount of votes especially when you include not only active duty, but prior service, retires, and their families. This is one of the reasons why Bush administration made such an emphasis on absentee ballots in his last election.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In fact in recent military publications it has headlined that mitary votes could way significantly this coming election. I only read te headlines and not the article so I cannot say exactly what the article was postulating.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
SO which way would you see the military going in 2012? Obama/Biden or Romney/Portman (or whomever is selected)

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Im not so sure about that. There is a big Ron Paul following within the military as the military was Ron Paul's # one contributor.

He swapped positions with Panetta, essentially making the CIA the head of the Military now.

SO which way would you see the military going in 2012? Obama/Biden or Romney/Portman (or whomever is selected)
I see the majority voting both 3rd party and for Obama. I say Obama because he does a good job pretending he is a Nobel Peace Prize winner and pretending to be anti-war.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
Funny story......

When I was in the military, our company was supposed to vote via absentee ballots. Long story short, our ballots never showed up and we were given some poor excuse as to why we never got to vote. Later, there was a rumor from good sources that the ballots were allegedly filled out and everyone voted for a particular candidate.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im not so sure about that. There is a big Ron Paul following within the military as the military was Ron Paul's # one contributor.
Ron Paul is hands down my choice. However, we all know he won't win unfortunately. So, if Pattreus were to run as Romneys running mate the votes would shift to them because the military trusts Pattreus and would figure they would have the best shot.

Ron Paul does have a big military support. Only draw back is many don't know him well to support him also. If I ask people to tell me a little about Obama's political stances or Romney's tey can do alright answering because those are the two the see televised and talked about all the time. The media doesn't cover Paul nearly to that extent and when I ask people about Paul I find that even people who claim to know him don't really know that much.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ron Paul is hands down my choice. However, we all know he won't win unfortunately. So, if Pattreus were to run as Romneys running mate the votes would shift to them because the military trusts Pattreus and would figure they would have the best shot.

Ron Paul does have a big military support. Only draw back is many don't know him well to support him also. If I ask people to tell me a little about Obama's political stances or Romney's tey can do alright answering because those are the two the see televised and talked about all the time. The media doesn't cover Paul nearly to that extent and when I ask people about Paul I find that even people who claim to know him don't really know that much.

I remember a short while back I was watching CNN's coverage of a Ron Paul speech...afterwards they were interviewing a soldier in uniform who was saying we dont need all these pre-emptive wars...and something about Isreal and immediately they censored him and cut him off on live (its all delayed) television. There definitely is an effort to black out support for Ron Paul in the military imo.

If Ron Paul doesnt run as a 3rd....Gary Johnson is and alternative and will be on the ballot, but I bet <5% in the military has even heard the name.

Oh...just found the video of the soldier by the way,

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Funny story......

When I was in the military, our company was supposed to vote via absentee ballots. Long story short, our ballots never showed up and we were given some poor excuse as to why we never got to vote. Later, there was a rumor from good sources that the ballots were allegedly filled out and everyone voted for a particular candidate.
That is not a funny story at all.

At least the hard work of having to go through all that trouble to vote for someone was done for you, lol

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I remember a short while back I was watching CNN's coverage of a Ron Paul speech...afterwards they were interviewing a soldier in uniform who was saying we dont need all these pre-emptive wars...and something about Isreal and immediately they censored him and cut him off on live (its all delayed) television. There definitely is an effort to black out support for Ron Paul in the military imo.

If Ron Paul doesnt run as a 3rd....Gary Johnson is and alternative and will be on the ballot, but I bet <5% in the military has even heard the name.

Oh...just found the video of the soldier by the way,

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TSxm2V8aVQ">YouTube Link</a>
The guy sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. It's obvious to me that he is a reservist ( though that has no bearing, just making observation). He was likely going to say Israel is more then capable of handling their safety on their own.

Also, I would be very surprised if I can find one person this week who knows who Gary Johnson is.

As usual the 3rd party will just split votes away from one candidate or another. In this case likely away from Romney. Whom I do not think will make much of a change from Obama. Paul is the only candidate I like at all. All the rest are crap candidates IMO. I see Obama winning reelection.

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
I was honestly hopin he would pick Rick santorum. I really liked what he stood for. Plus he would really help out our school systems due to the state of his child

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was honestly hopin he would pick Rick santorum. I really liked what he stood for. Plus he would really help out our school systems due to the state of his child
Really? Santorum is a bit ultra religious and would be looking to add that to many of the decisions of that office.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Funny how they were talking about how Sarah Palin could help Romknee candidacy today on CNN.

On another note, George Sr. always wanted his other son to be the top dog....never count out Jeb Bush.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Romney today backed a bill that would outlaw all abortions? That will segregate him quite a bit. Such a hard stance leading right into the lelections. Usually they start pûssy footing it around that topic the closer they get.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Funny how they were talking about how Sarah Palin could help Romknee candidacy today on CNN.

On another note, George Sr. always wanted his other son to be the top dog....never count out Jeb Bush.
He's not making a run, but I do like bobby jindal though out of Louisiana.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Romney today backed a bill that would outlaw all abortions? That will segregate him quite a bit. Such a hard stance leading right into the lelections. Usually they start pûssy footing it around that topic the closer they get.

It's hard telling what Mitt thinks on most issues. It seems to greatly depend on the campaign he's running and who he needs to pander to!

"I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it."

"I respect and will protect a woman's right to choose."

However from what I'm reading this wasn't a law that existed and was debated, it was a hypothetical debate question.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
I will be voting for GJ. Trying to spread the word to others.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seems the list is down to 3.

Pawlenty
Portman
Jindal

If its me, I think jindal adds the most, but I doubt he gets it.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seems the list is down to 3.

Pawlenty
Portman
Jindal

If its me, I think jindal adds the most, but I doubt he gets it.
You think Rubio is totally out of the picture now?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You think Rubio is totally out of the picture now?
Yes. I think that he is too high a risk for Romney which is counter to the Romney campaign.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some recent rumors going around are Peatreus and Ryan, although I think the mention of the General is a distraction in the same vane as Condolezza Rice.

I am curious if the discussion comes down to Rubio v. Ryan who Romney goes with. Do you take the "rockstar" quality of Rubio, of the policy mind of Ryan or is Ryan more valuable where he is?

According to Karl Rove, we could find out friday

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some recent rumors going around are Peatreus and Ryan, although I think the mention of the General is a distraction in the same vane as Condolezza Rice.

I am curious if the discussion comes down to Rubio v. Ryan who Romney goes with. Do you take the "rockstar" quality of Rubio, of the policy mind of Ryan or is Ryan more valuable where he is?

According to Karl Rove, we could find out friday
I dont see why Peatreus would be a a distraction to the typical voting population unlike Palin was in particular.

He comes off professional and cordial reading him externally (not claiming that he is, lol.) Doesnt seem like he can give "distraction" like material.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont see why Peatreus would be a a distraction to the typical voting population unlike Palin was in particular.

He comes off professional and cordial reading him externally (not claiming that he is, lol.) Doesnt seem like he can give "distraction" like material.
I mean that this was "leaked" to divert from someone else...namely Ryan

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Lol!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It seems that Ryan is really shooting up the list. He is really a risky pick based on the medicare issue with his economic plan, but he is certainly a focus on economic issues.

Thoughts on a Romney/Ryan ticket

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It seems that Ryan is really shooting up the list. He is really a risky pick based on the medicare issue with his economic plan, but he is certainly a focus on economic issues.

Thoughts on a Romney/Ryan ticket
Paul Ryan made that big presentation on repealing Obamacare. Romney made that speech (yesterday?) where he will repeal Obamacare (silly name, lol) from day 1 so they seem to be a match made in heaven on this....except Obamacare is a copy of Romneycare so none of this makes any sense (well to me it does.)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Paul Ryan made that big presentation on repealing Obamacare. Romney made that speech (yesterday?) where he will repeal Obamacare (silly name, lol) from day 1 so they seem to be a match made in heaven on this....except Obamacare is a copy of Romneycare so none of this makes any sense (well to me it does.)
I am starting to think it will be Ryan or we could see a palinesque surprise.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I am starting to think it will be Ryan or we could see a palinesque surprise.
I hope it's not ryan, for the fact that the vice presidency would make him useless beyond the election and right now he's the strong fiscal conservative sitting as the chair of the house budget committee...

left, right, up or down, doesn't matter where you stand we need some fiscal conservatism as a country

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hope it's not ryan, for the fact that the vice presidency would make him useless beyond the election and right now he's the strong fiscal conservative sitting as the chair of the house budget committee...

left, right, up or down, doesn't matter where you stand we need some fiscal conservatism as a country
It's just a shame that neither side wants to touch the biggest piece of the pie and cut our bloated defense budget. Lord knows failing to consistently bomb brown people is not supporting our troops!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's just a shame that neither side wants to touch the biggest piece of the pie and cut our bloated defense budget. Lord knows failing to consistently bomb brown people is not supporting our troops!
Not just avoid cutting it, but they want to increase it.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well played.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well the selection is in and it is Ryan. I actually think this is a good pick, and might turn the topic to the economy (for a day). I dont know if it forces my vote, but Gary Johnson might be a good option as well.

Hey Ax, I guess your earlier post (from infowars) that Bilderberger picked Rubio was off. Man, AJ and his crew are slipping ;)

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well the selection is in and it is Ryan. I actually think this is a good pick, and might turn the topic to the economy (for a day). I dont know if it forces my vote, but Gary Johnson might be a good option as well.

Hey Ax, I guess your earlier post (from infowars) that Bilderberger picked Rubio was off. Man, AJ and his crew are slipping ;)
That was just speculative reporting, no genie ball involved its ok, lol. My personal guess was Betr...I meant Peatreus.

Now we get to look at 4th grade level Presidential and VP debates, whoopie!!