Pelosi says "not my fault"

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
TheHill.com - Pelosi: Dems bear no responsibility for economic crisis

“I think the American people have had it with this situation where the middle-income people in our country are not protected from the ramifications of the risk-taking and the greed of these financial institutions,” Pelosi told MSNBC.
Yeah, cuz the top 1% aren't at risk with this? Pull your head out of your ****ing ass Nancy. I love how this hoe loves to act as if every single thing wrong with this country is Bush's fault. Excuse me, Nance, but last time I checked the congress has quite a bit of power and a democratic(you) majority. Why don't you use it and ****ing do something.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While I think Bush has helped to truly hurt this country, Pelosi and her contingent have been an utter disappointment and have done more to hurt their party than Bush might have.

Think about it, this election year, a democrate should most likely walk away with the white house, but the failures of congress have truly hurt the already weak dem reputation. Very sad

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
IIRC the mortgage market that is causing all of these programs got it's start when?..........during Clinton when there was a teaser rate that was just ridiculous.

(fuel to the fire......)

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
The time for a third party is coming.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sadly the majority of the american people wont vote 3rd party. I for one am for it. The 2 party system has been a complete and utter disapointment, as they are only concerned about their own wallet and forgot about the rest of us

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
sadly the majority of the american people wont vote 3rd party. I for one am for it. The 2 party system has been a complete and utter disapointment, as they are only concerned about their own wallet and forgot about the rest of us
Well, from the perspective of a Canadian with 4 relevant parties (3, if you do not count the Bloc Quebecois), more isn't much better.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I understand, however as an American, this is a broken system that needs a drastic change

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I understand, however as an American, this is a broken system that needs a drastic change
It does, I definitely agree! However, the issue - at least in my opinion - is more qualitative as opposed to quantitative - that is, the composition of the parties rather than their number. I feel a potential third-party would be inevitably corrupted in the same fashion and through the same partisan mechanisms as the present two. A "New Politics" is beyond necessary at this point; unfortunately, neither tickets are poised to deliver that at this point - suffice to say.

Public action has and always will be the paramount factor for change in public office. Until the demand arises for candidates to change their tactics, for both parties to abandon their bi-partisan hackery, and for the entire electoral process to regain its representative nature, a third-party will simply add to this cluster****.

A demand for a third party is inclusive with a demand for change; efforts would be better concentrated to revise the disease of a system rather than its functions!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I most certainly agree. However the trap many Americans (myself included) fall into, is that in our desire for change we will look for anything different, which is part of the desire for both Obama and Palinmania. For arguments sake, lets say Libretarian Bob Barr won (not happening, but for example) I am sure over time that party will become just as corrupted as any other. In essence it is not the parties or the system, it is the people. We are all so easily corrupted, and are at the point now, that anyone who claims that they will bring change (which they all claim) we automatically assume is full of crap and a liar.

It is a sad state of affairs at this point, and one that will not get better unless we adopt Jeffersonian revolution. (that probably wont work either)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
...In essence it is not the parties or the system, it is the people. We are all so easily corrupted, and are at the point now, that anyone who claims that they will bring change (which they all claim) we automatically assume is full of crap and a liar...
Exactly; no system or system subsets, political doctrines or ideological platforms are incorruptible - these parties and idioms are comprised not of superheroes, but rather fallible people such as you and I. It is a generational concern that the "American People" (for instance) over time must constantly pressure the Government, for isolated populations may be acclimated to corruption and broken systems quite readily.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
IIRC the mortgage market that is causing all of these programs got it's start when?..........during Clinton when there was a teaser rate that was just ridiculous.

(fuel to the fire......)

There is more to it than just that. I don't have the details, but will find them if I need to, but the Clinton administration MADE the banks offer loans to people that they knew wern't qualified. We are feeling the fallout of that now. Not saying that was the only contributing factor, but it is most certainly a factor.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
TheHill.com - Pelosi: Dems bear no responsibility for economic crisis

Yeah, cuz the top 1% aren't at risk with this? Pull your head out of your ****ing ass Nancy. I love how this hoe loves to act as if every single thing wrong with this country is Bush's fault. Excuse me, Nance, but last time I checked the congress has quite a bit of power and a democratic(you) majority. Why don't you use it and ****ing do something.
Sorry, somebody with a twat under their arm doesn't get to call someone a hoe (actually Ho). It wasn't right for Imus and it isn't right for you.

:bruce3:

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Pardon me for not using the appropriate vernacular. That's twice you've called me out. Once for mistaking crack for coke (or something) and once for misspelling insults. My dearest apologies.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Pardon me for not using the appropriate vernacular. That's twice you've called me out. Once for mistaking crack for coke (or something) and once for misspelling insults. My dearest apologies.

No apology needed, just don't give me a reason to call you out. I'm pretty sure we've called each other out on a couple of things. It's all in the spirit of good healthy discussion though.

:bruce3:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is more to it than just that. I don't have the details, but will find them if I need to, but the Clinton administration MADE the banks offer loans to people that they knew wern't qualified. We are feeling the fallout of that now. Not saying that was the only contributing factor, but it is most certainly a factor.

Yes it was the CRA - the community reinvestment act. It forced the banks to open loans up to non-conventional models. That was the seed that started it, then the brokers and new popup mortgage companies got involved and stretched it till it broke. Prior to the CRA, the average bank had 4-5 mortgage plans at most, and there was no way for someone with non-documentable income to get a mortgage at all. At the peak of insanity most banks literally offered hundreds of mortgage programs, so they they could find a way to squeak you into one of them.

Without the CRA, none of this could have happened.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And Pelosi is out of her mind. The democrats are almost entirely to blame for this. Its their budgets, their passed laws that led to this. The president has no power to start a law, and no power over budget other than to suggest + request, or to veto. Congress does all the actual creation of work.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was an amendment to the CRA in 1995 that created subprime.

The CRA was originated by Jimmy Carter.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
And Pelosi is out of her mind. The democrats are almost entirely to blame for this. Its their budgets, their passed laws that led to this. The president has no power to start a law, and no power over budget other than to suggest + request, or to veto. Congress does all the actual creation of work.
Well its both. Democrats created sub prime but Republicans most certainly benefited as well (while letting some of these companies run wild). The difference is those idiots were voted out in 2006 but the majority of Democrats in bed with Fannie and Freddie are still there.

The last tihng Democrats want is a commission to study this problem because they would have a ton of egg on their face.

When Hank Paulson wanted funding for these bailouts it wasn't George Bush who gave it to him..it was the Democrat led Congress while true conservative Republicans, along with Ron Paul, said its completley wrong.

But as they say, nobody is an atheist in a foxhole. Sometimes necessity trumps ideology.

DougMan

Awards

(fuel to the fire......)
Got its start perhaps, but things got crazy post 2000.

http://www.tradersnarrative.com/long-term-chart-of-federal-funds-rate-1513.html

That dip around 2004 is the one I see often blamed for part of the teaser mess. Blaming Clinton for the rates in 2004 is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

But some of the most toxic loans originated as late as 2007, so the federal funds rate does not tell the whole story. What you are seeing now is a readjustment of the market's perception of risk and debt.

If I had to pick one item to blame it would be the public's obsession with growth at any costs. Politicians and the fed keep trying to put off slowdowns in the economy. Both parties are guilty of that.

DougMan

Awards
it was the Democrat led Congress while true conservative Republicans, along with Ron Paul, said its completely wrong.
I am curious, which of Ron Paul's views do you think differ from that of a true conservative? Foreign Policy?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am curious, which of Ron Paul's views do you think differ from that of a true conservative? Foreign Policy?

Free trade comes to mind, but then I wouldn't say there is anything really drastic.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
FEDERAL HOUSING ENTERPRISE REGULATORY REFORM ACT OF 2005

Sen. John McCain [R-AZ]: Mr. President, this week Fannie Mae's regulator reported that the company's quarterly reports of profit growth over the past few years were "illusions deliberately and systematically created" by the company's senior management, which resulted in a $10.6 billion accounting scandal.

The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight's report goes on to say that Fannie Mae employees deliberately and intentionally manipulated financial reports to hit earnings targets in order to trigger bonuses for senior executives. In the case of Franklin Raines, Fannie Mae's former chief executive officer, OFHEO's report shows that over half of Mr. Raines' compensation for the 6 years through 2003 was directly tied to meeting earnings targets. The report of financial misconduct at Fannie Mae echoes the deeply troubling $5 billion profit restatement at Freddie Mac.

The OFHEO report also states that Fannie Mae used its political power to lobby Congress in an effort to interfere with the regulator's examination of the company's accounting problems. This report comes some weeks after Freddie Mac paid a record $3.8 million fine in a settlement with the Federal Election Commission and restated lobbying disclosure reports from 2004 to 2005. These are entities that have demonstrated over and over again that they are deeply in need of reform.

For years I have been concerned about the regulatory structure that governs Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac--known as Government-sponsored entities or GSEs--and the sheer magnitude of these companies and the role they play in the housing market. OFHEO's report this week does nothing to ease these concerns. In fact, the report does quite the contrary. OFHEO's report solidifies my view that the GSEs need to be reformed without delay.
Quick Info
S. 190 [109th]: Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005
Last Action: Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. Ordered to be reported with an amendment in the nature of a substitute favorably.

I join as a cosponsor of the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005, S. 190, to underscore my support for quick passage of GSE regulatory reform legislation. If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system, and the economy as a whole.

I urge my colleagues to support swift action on this GSE reform legislation.

Looks like someone knew something.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Beau General Chat 9
Beau General Chat 7