Georgia delcares war with Russia

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
:eek:

TBLISI, Georgia (CNN) -- Georgia declared a state of war Saturday as fierce battles with Russia military over the breakaway region of South Ossetia entered their second day.

"We are dealing with absolutely criminal and crazy acts of irresponsible and reckless decision makers, which is on the ground producing dramatic and tragic consequences," Saakashvili said.

Saakashvili compared the Russian invasion, which he called unprovoked, to the 1979 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

President George W. Bush called for an immediate halt to the fighting saying the United States is "deeply concerned."

"We have urged an immediate halt to the violence and a standown by all troops, and call for end to the Russian bombings and a return by the parties to the status quo of August the sixth," he said in a statement Saturday.

Russian paratroopers entered the capital of South Ossetia on Saturday as part of a military operation that Russia said was intended to force the Georgian side to cease fire.

Separatist-backed South Ossetian sources reported about 1,600 people have died and 90 have been wounded in the capital of Tskhinvali after two days of fighting, but Georgian officials said the figure was inflated. The Georgians said they didn't have their own death toll, but it would likely be closer to 100.

Inna Gagloyeva, the spokeswoman for the South Ossetian Information and Press Committee, told the Interfax news agency the capital was being "massively shelled" with artillery guns.

It was also unclear which side was in control of Tskhinvali on Saturday, with the Georgian side saying fighting still raged but the Russians saying they have "liberated" the city.

"Battalion task forces have fully liberated Tskhinvali of Georgian armed forces and started pushing Georgian units out of the area of responsibility of the peacekeeping forces," said General Vladimir Boldyrev, commander of the Russian Ground Forces, in an interview with Interfax.

Colonel-General Anatoly Nogovitsyn, a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry, told a news conference that the paratroopers will "implement the operation of enforcing peace" on both sides.

Nogovitsyn also confirmed that Georgians had shot down two Russian aircraft.

Russia said the troops were also reinforcing the Russian peacekeepers already in South Ossetia.

"Our peacekeepers, along with reinforcement units, are currently conducting an operation to force the Georgian side to accept peace," Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said at the Kremlin, according to the RIA-Novosti news agency. "They are also responsible for protecting the population."

Interfax said 15 peacekeepers were killed in the Friday attack by Georgian troops. Russia has opened a criminal probe into their deaths, Interfax reported.

Georgia, a former Soviet Republic, is a pro-Western ally of the United States intent on asserting its authority over South Ossetia and Abkhazia, which both have strong Russian-backed separatist movements.

Russia moved troops into South Ossetia early Friday after Georgia launched an operation in the breakaway region when its unilateral cease-fire was met with what it said was artillery fire from separatists that killed 10 people, including peacekeepers and civilians. Watch images of crashed Georgian war plane »

Russia charged that Georgia had targeted its peacekeepers stationed in the region. Watch Georgian minister describe fighting in South Ossetia »

Medvedev said Saturday that Georgia must be held responsible for the situation in South Ossetia.

"The people responsible for this humanitarian disaster need to be held liable for what they have done," Medvedev said. He said the humanitarian problems were caused by "the aggression launched by the Georgian side against the South Ossetian civilians and Russian peacekeepers."

Russian officials said more than 30,000 refugees have left South Ossetia and crossed into Russia over the past two days, since fighting began, Interfax reported.

A Red Cross official in the Georgian capital of Tbilisi was unable to provide refugee or casualty figures Saturday morning because she said aid workers were still gathering information and visiting hospitals in South Ossetia and western Georgia, where she said two towns suffered damage overnight.

Maia Kardava, a spokeswoman for the Red Cross delegation in Tbilisi, said Russian forces bombarded military and civilian targets the port town of Poti, on Georgia's Black Sea coast. Georgian officials said eight Georgians were killed in the port town.

In the town of Senaki, just inland from Poti, Russian forces damaged a railway line, a military base, and a center housing civilians who fled from nearby Abkhazia, another breakaway Georgian region.

The Georgian town of Gori, about 35 miles northwest of Tbilisi, came under attack from Russian aircraft, Georgian officials said.

Also Saturday, the commander of Georgian troops stationed in Iraq said the 2,000 soldiers currently there will be withdrawn from Iraq "very soon."

Colonel Bondo Maisuradze said the United States would provide the transport to get them out of Iraq. He said he had no timeframe for the

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Crazy Ivans gonna bust some skulls.

EVERYBODY DISCO DANCING!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Don't make fun of war!

Georgian Woman

Not to mention this could escalate...

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anything with "war" attached to it makes me shiver, even when it is so far away. The rippling effects are always felt and loss of life in such a way is crazy considering were supposed to be in a civilized world.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Don't make fun of war!

Georgian Woman

Not to mention this could escalate...
This is going to escalate and get very ugly fast. It will have huge impacts in more of the world than just between Russia and Georgia IMHO.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
This one really has the potential to get messy. Especially considering Georgia had asked to become a member of NATO.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
It keeps on getting better......
Georgia claims Russians have cut country in half

19 minutes ago

Georgia's president says Russia's troops have effectively cut the country in half by seizing a strategic city that straddles the country's main east-west highway.

President Mikhail Saakashvili made the statement in a national security council meeting on Monday, about an hour after officials claimed Russian troops had captured Gori, about 60 miles west of the capital Tbilisi.

The news agency Interfax cited a Russian Defense Ministry official as denying the reports of the seizure.

But a top official at the Georgian embassy in Moscow, Givi Shugarov, said Russian troops appeared to be moving toward Tbilisi and he alleged Russia's goal was "complete liquidation" of the Georgian government.

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
Copyright © 2008 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is huge, and terrible news. This could very well be the first issue for Russia and they could have many more steps in mind. The heated words are also starting between the US and Russia. Not good at all

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Russian is just following our lead... why would we be mad at them for that?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Silly Russians dont they know you cant take over another country with an established government by force without international ramifications? Oh wait, my bad, I forgot...

The russians have terrorized Georgia for years with out reprocution. It will be interesting to see what the international community will do, if anything.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My life is War.
This conflict will end soon. The main stream media can say what they want, they do not know the exact details on why this attack took place.
Prayers should be said for the innocent, for they are the ones who suffer the most.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Silly Russians dont they know you cant take over another country with an established government by force without international ramifications? Oh wait, my bad, I forgot...

The russians have terrorized Georgia for years with out reprocution. It will be interesting to see what the international community will do, if anything.
The US has no material or political interest in Georgia, I imagine we'll sit back and say "War bad - stop now!"

Why Georgia though? Isn't like.. South Carolina or Alabama a better target? :yawn:

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Why Georgia though? Isn't like.. South Carolina or Alabama a better target? :yawn:
Its those damn peaches.

We use them to funnel through the only non-russian controlled pipeline in the area.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Having grown up during the Cold War era this really is getting scary. Iran may want to make nuclear toys, Russia already has them. Not to say that it could get to that point but even if it doesn't aren't we spread thin enough.

:bruce3:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
seriosuly, the only thing left if we get involved is the draft, still a long way away.... So sad

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Did some reading and evidently Georgia has a sizeable oil pipeline through that territory...

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, BTC. Apparently the reds were targeting it with their jets. It transports 1 million barrels of oil per day. Wow.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I have an odd feeling that there is more to this story than is being reported.

There have been accusations that Georgia is ethnically cleansing the South Ossetia Region.

At the same time there are accusations that the Russians are targeting government areas within Georgia.

What doesn't make sense is Georgia is a US ally, a pro-Western democracy that supplies a large quantity of oil to Europe, and is pounding on the door of NATO...yet Russia has basically come just shy of invading and taking over Georgia, but the Europeans and the US just trade "serious" statements with Russia. Remind me why there hasn't been an outcry? Or even a quicker reaction from the west?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Olympics. Don't want to be the ones to go to war during the time that's intended to promote peace? US is already on two fronts?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
My life is War.
This conflict will end soon. The main stream media can say what they want, they do not know the exact details on why this attack took place.
Prayers should be said for the innocent, for they are the ones who suffer the most.
I respect and value Lungz' opinion on training and also world matters. Take what this man says seriously. :thumbsup:

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
I have an odd feeling that there is more to this story than is being reported.

There have been accusations that Georgia is ethnically cleansing the South Ossetia Region.

At the same time there are accusations that the Russians are targeting government areas within Georgia.

What doesn't make sense is Georgia is a US ally, a pro-Western democracy that supplies a large quantity of oil to Europe, and is pounding on the door of NATO...yet Russia has basically come just shy of invading and taking over Georgia, but the Europeans and the US just trade "serious" statements with Russia. Remind me why there hasn't been an outcry? Or even a quicker reaction from the west?
No outcry because Bush didn't do it. ;)

Georgias people will suffer at the hands of their idiot president who spat in Russia's face when Russia said they will attack if provoked. Sad all around.

Oil is a finite resource and it WILL be the eventual cause of WW3

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Renegade.
I'm but a spoke in the machine's wheel. ;)
I respect and value Lungz' opinion on training and also world matters. Take what this man says seriously. :thumbsup:

GotTest

GotTest

Awards
  • Established
There are 2 issues that come to mind when I heard of the attack on Georgia:
1) Putin's agenda-Bring Russia BACK to it's original roots of a Nuclear super power and COMPLETELY controlled by the Kremlin. Remember... Putin abolished elections of governors and appointed them himself, took control of media, etc. To know him is to "love" him: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/yeltsin/putin/

2) I think this is a STRONG message to Ukraine not to mess around with Russia. They are flexing their military power to the Ukraine in an attempt to keep them from joining NATO, as Georgia wants too.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/12/AR2008021201658.html

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My life is War.
Spill it. ;)

Of course there's more, much more. Russia was building up to this for months, or even a year plus. Russia said they would 'get rid of' Sakashvili a while ago. We've got oil on tap, breakaway territories, war 'consultants' from several countries advising Georgia, NATO membership, and more. I just can't make everything fit, there's something, or a lot, missing.

One thing is clear: Russia is the aggressor, make no mistake, and it doesn't bode well at all.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Report in a war zone or Steal candy from rosie odonell, you're bound to get shot, I thought that was common sense...??

How come we go in Iraq under false pretenses and are still there, but when Russia does the same to another country, we give em "warnings" and they're bad for doing that??

I'll never understand politics or public opinion, but I'll always criticize and make fun of them! :head:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Spill it. ;)

Of course there's more, much more. Russia was building up to this for months, or even a year plus. Russia said they would 'get rid of' Sakashvili a while ago. We've got oil on tap, breakaway territories, war 'consultants' from several countries advising Georgia, NATO membership, and more. I just can't make everything fit, there's something, or a lot, missing.

One thing is clear: Russia is the aggressor, make no mistake, and it doesn't bode well at all.

Russia has been "acquiring" areas with natural resources for some time. They have bought up enormous amounts of land that have natural gas and oil within the region. Their whole economy is based on exports to other countries. They are extremely wealthy but also extremely fragile.

They are also feeling surrounded. You have US missile batteries being installed in Poland. You have the Ukraine and other former breakaway states applying to NATO. They are a former power being surrounded by democracies supported by the West. You have a President in Saakashvili that doesn't really know when to STFU. If you keep poking a stick into someones stomach, eventually they are going to respond.

Georgia launched an attack on Russian separatists in South Ossetia first. If you attack first, don't be surprised if you get your ass handed to you as retaliation.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Russian is just following our lead... why would we be mad at them for that?
I was wondering how long it would take before someone bashed the US for someone else's actions.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Because history shows time and time again, if you are weak and your words carry with them no threat of action, nobody will listen to you.

Its called Europe and the UN. Only now do you see Europe electing leaders that actually have some sort of bite and show a glimmer of actually standing up to someone.

Russia fears 2 countries. The US and China. They can walk all over Europe and they know it.