Flonase and Steroid Inhaler

domstriker

Banned
Awards
I take Flonase (corticosteroid) and a steroid inhaler regularly for allergies and chronic lung irritation. Both of these are corticosteroids which I have heard are catabolic.

Do these cause any significant negative effect on mass building?

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Nope, you're good man.

Neither should result in systemic (i.e. whole body) absorbtion. They will just be catabolic to the local tissues like the lungs, throat, or sinuses reducing the inflammation at these places.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Rhyno,
any thoughts on long term issues? When I was younger (high school-ish), I lived on inhalers. I was diagnosed as a mild asthmatic, but I don't suspect it was due to lifestyle since I played sports year 'round.

After HS, I kicked the inhalers. Now at about 30 years old, I'm having some mild symptoms return, mostly apne-like symptoms. Any thoughts on return of symptoms or long term repurcussions from the inhaled corticos?

(btw, is your screen name coincidence? It seems appropriate for this topic LOL)

domstriker

Banned
Awards
Rhyno,
any thoughts on long term issues? When I was younger (high school-ish), I lived on inhalers. I was diagnosed as a mild asthmatic, but I don't suspect it was due to lifestyle since I played sports year 'round.

After HS, I kicked the inhalers. Now at about 30 years old, I'm having some mild symptoms return, mostly apne-like symptoms. Any thoughts on return of symptoms or long term repurcussions from the inhaled corticos?

(btw, is your screen name coincidence? It seems appropriate for this topic LOL)
I'm guessing the inhalers you used were albuterol which are non-steroidal...

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
I take a similiar medication and have not had any side effects such as the ones you might be thinking of. Add more protein and fat if it has you freaked.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm guessing the inhalers you used were albuterol which are non-steroidal...
Hmm, Azmacort was one. I could be wrong but I'm thinking that is a cortico. I'm not thinking I've ever used Albuterol, but I do recall a short acting "emergency" inhaler that i used pretty much every day with basketball. So you might be right, it probably was albuterol.

I'm not really worried about catabolic effect of muscle. I just have a suspicion that there may have been damage to airways that might be a contributer to occasional sleep apnea now :think:

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
quite possible. I do have frequent nose bleeds in the spring when I use this the most.