Maltodextrin vs. Dextrose

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Its pretty much 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other. Dextrose is sweet tasting and Maltodextrin is tasteless. Both mix very well and will both give you a good spike in insulin. Dr. John Berardi wrote an article a while ago saying that a mix of the two is your best option because it will give you the best hydration and insulin response. As for the make up of the two Dextrose is considered a simple sugar and Malto is considered a complex carb, but Malto breaks down extremely quickly and acts like a simple sugar. IMO the only noticeable difference is in taste, which in that case I prefer dextrose. If you are looking for a post workout drink I would suggest around a 50/50 mix just because pure dex can be a little to sweet and theoretically you get a better response from the mix of the two.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Both are high GI empty calories. Do yourself a favor and switch to whole food starch sources.

chimo1bj

Awards
Both are high GI empty calories. Do yourself a favor and switch to whole food starch sources.
Fast absorbing carbs are what you need after a workout in order to spike insulin levels and replenish glycogen. Starches are not a good option this time of day.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Fast absorbing carbs are what you need after a workout in order to spike insulin levels and replenish glycogen. Starches are not a good option this time of day.
BS.

This has been debunked on AM several times over.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have had that exact argument 1000s of times.

Fruit mixed with Oats works prefect for me.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Dextrose mixes incredibly easy and is a mild sweetener (roughly 2/3 as sweet as table sugar). Maltodextrin does not mix real easy without a blender and is completely tasteless. They're both very dense, making them an easy carb source to consume if you don't have a big appetite.

They both have virtually identical effects after being consumed, both quickly digested forms of glucose.

They're both micronutrient free. Meaning they don't contain any vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, etc. They also don't contain any fiber. So for long term health, you're better off choosing a different carb source like whole grain bread, potatoes, rice, beans, oatmeal, pasta, etc. If you have problems losing weight and dealing with food cravings & hunger, you should also opt for those whole food carb sources(especially the ones high in fiber). They're more likely to keep you feeling full.

The only reason to go with dextrose/malto instead of real food is taste & convenience.

All things considered, I'm happy to toss some dextrose into my workout shake, especially when I'm struggling to get in the extra calories. I already eat plenty of whole grains, fruits & veggies, so I don't sweat the few hundred calories I get from dextrose and other "junk" foods.

There's an enormous old thread on bb.com by Alan Aragon that goes into much more detail. It's a good read if you have a few hours to kill.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dextrose mixes incredibly easy and is a mild sweetener (roughly 2/3 as sweet as table sugar). Maltodextrin does not mix real easy without a blender and is completely tasteless. They're both very dense, making them an easy carb source to consume if you don't have a big appetite.

They both have virtually identical effects after being consumed, both quickly digested forms of glucose.

They're both micronutrient free. Meaning they don't contain any vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, etc. They also don't contain any fiber. So for long term health, you're better off choosing a different carb source like whole grain bread, potatoes, rice, beans, oatmeal, pasta, etc. If you have problems losing weight and dealing with food cravings & hunger, you should also opt for those whole food carb sources(especially the ones high in fiber). They're more likely to keep you feeling full.

The only reason to go with dextrose/malto instead of real food is taste & convenience.

All things considered, I'm happy to toss some dextrose into my workout shake, especially when I'm struggling to get in the extra calories. I already eat plenty of whole grains, fruits & veggies, so I don't sweat the few hundred calories I get from dextrose and other "junk" foods.

There's an enormous old thread on bb.com by Alan Aragon that goes into much more detail. It's a good read if you have a few hours to kill.
Great post. That AA thread at BB.com is interesting. Much info...

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
no need for starch sources. Try unprocessed honey - chocka full of antioxidants and nutrients.

I make my postWO shake before I go - slightly warm the honey container in hotwater so it runs better, then add it in with whey, water and spirulina powder. A little sweet, but better than 'empty carbs'

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
no need for starch sources. Try unprocessed honey - chocka full of antioxidants and nutrients.

I make my postWO shake before I go - slightly warm the honey container in hotwater so it runs better, then add it in with whey, water and spirulina powder. A little sweet, but better than 'empty carbs'
What brand spirulina powder do you use?

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks bud
No worries bro - it's great stuff - nutrient-dense and perfect for after WO when your muscles are acting like a sponge. Same as the honey.

That's why I like P-Slin and AP - works on real food rather than just empty cals:thumbsup:

mrq4400

mrq4400

Awards
i believe that dextrose is even faster absorbing than malto, since dextrose is basically a grape sugar and grape sugar starts absorbing in your mouth, even before swallowing, that shouldn't be the case with regular malto or sugar.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
i believe that dextrose is even faster absorbing than malto, since dextrose is basically a grape sugar and grape sugar starts absorbing in your mouth, even before swallowing, that shouldn't be the case with regular malto or sugar.
Both Maltodextrin & Dextrose are made from corn.