Post op hip replacement

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
As some of you may know, my wife and I have had some serious relationship issues that we are trying to resolve. After she moved out, I found out that she needed hip replacement surgery. Long story short, she has had the surgery, is back at home, and we are making very good progress in our relationship. My question is about her recovery. Do you think it is ok to start supplementing her diet with protein, creatine, beta alanine, etc..? I would think that these would be of value for her recovery and physical therapy. Her surgery was the newer minimally invasive type where very little muscle is damaged. She is one week out from surgery and is walking with crutches. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
As some of you may know, my wife and I have had some serious relationship issues that we are trying to resolve. After she moved out, I found out that she needed hip replacement surgery. Long story short, she has had the surgery, is back at home, and we are making very good progress in our relationship. My question is about her recovery. Do you think it is ok to start supplementing her diet with protein, creatine, beta alanine, etc..? I would think that these would be of value for her recovery and physical therapy. Her surgery was the newer minimally invasive type where very little muscle is damaged. She is one week out from surgery and is walking with crutches. Let me know what you think. Thanks
My recommendation would be Somnidren GH and SuperCissus-RX. IGF-1 would be very helpful, but the needles are probably out of the question. These two will have a very positive effect on healing. More than you are probably expecting. It will lower pain and help her sleep too. Some calcuim supplement like Tums, etc is also recommended.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
My recommendation would be Somnidren GH and SuperCissus-RX. IGF-1 would be very helpful, but the needles are probably out of the question.

cissus is a bad recommendation imo... #1 shes most likely taking anti inflammatories/corticosteroids to begin with and #2 unless im mistaken cissus only masks pain through playing with glucocorticoid receptors.. basically like a cortisone shot. the problem with that, especially with a major injury, is that she may not feel pain and try to do something that will only further exacerbate her injury.

let me preface this by saying i think you should find a doctor with a good working knowledge of supplements, and coordinate anything you give her with the doc. (pm me if you need to find a doc)... what you DONT want is to be feeding her things that would be good for an athlete but may end up being detrimental to a rehabbing patient in the long run or be giving her things that would interact with any medication she is being given.

they often give hip/knee replacement patients strong anti-inflamitories and blood thinners like coumadin to prevent clotting for weeks/months after surgery... and giving her the wrong supplement with those drugs could KILL her, let alone cause some sort of serious injury.

once you get the OK from your doctor, and i cant stress how important that OK is, bring these supplements up with your doctor:

high GDU bromelain
moderately dosed fish oil
low dose creatine
topical wobenzyme cream

whey hydrolosate / juice mixture during & after her physical rehab

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
cissus is a bad recommendation imo... #1 shes most likely taking anti inflammatories/corticosteroids to begin with and #2 unless im mistaken cissus only masks pain through playing with glucocorticoid receptors.. basically like a cortisone shot. the problem with that, especially with a major injury, is that she may not feel pain and try to do something that will only further exacerbate her injury.

let me preface this by saying i think you should find a doctor with a good working knowledge of supplements, and coordinate anything you give her with the doc. (pm me if you need to find a doc)... what you DONT want is to be feeding her things that would be good for an athlete but may end up being detrimental to a rehabbing patient in the long run or be giving her things that would interact with any medication she is being given.

they often give hip/knee replacement patients strong anti-inflamitories and blood thinners like coumadin to prevent clotting for weeks/months after surgery... and giving her the wrong supplement with those drugs could KILL her, let alone cause some sort of serious injury.

once you get the OK from your doctor, and i cant stress how important that OK is, bring these supplements up with your doctor:

high GDU bromelain
moderately dosed fish oil
low dose creatine
topical wobenzyme cream

whey hydrolosate / juice mixture during & after her physical rehab
Your mistaken. Cortisone is one the very worst things to give someone for an injury. It results in a 40% loss of tendon strength in just in just one shot! Cissus is actually a major healing agent. I have used very similar supplement regiments with people with far worst injuries than this. You need do more research before you mouth off.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
Your mistaken. Cortisone is one the very worst things to give someone for an injury. It results in a 40% loss of tendon strength in just in just one shot!
i didnt say to give her cortisone? cortisone shots are a common way to prolong the need for joint replacement...

Cissus is actually a major healing agent. I have used very similar supplement regiments with people with far worst injuries than this.
maybe im not up on the latest research... any human studies showing cissus facilitates healing?

You need do more research before you mouth off.
no need to be a ****

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Currently my wife is taking vicoden as needed for pain and dosing 800mg ibuprofen in between. She did not get any cortisone injections prior to surgery. She is also taking 2 adult aspirins daily. I appreciate your input, but please lets keep this constructive and positive. I don't want this to turn into a pissing match between board members.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Nothing wrong with eating lots of protein.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Plenty of protein, vitamin D, a solid B-vitamin blend, calcium, and Glucosamine/Chondroitin would all be helpful, especially after she begins post op physical therapy.

j4ever

Awards
I had a hip replacement in 03,i did not take any sups just ate a good diet rich in protein.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I would take the product listing of Somnidren to your family MD and see if he thinks it would be constructive to use against whatever he is also having her use.

I'd never want to suggest anything against your trusted doctor's orders.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Thanks for all of the advise. I am trying to get her to take in more protein and start weaning herself off the pain meds. She is reluctant to do so. Her physical therapy is going well and the post op visit to the doctor was very positive. She has a very low pain tolerance and goes thru depressive states as a result. I am trying some light massage to see if it will help.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for all of the advise. I am trying to get her to take in more protein and start weaning herself off the pain meds. She is reluctant to do so. Her physical therapy is going well and the post op visit to the doctor was very positive. She has a very low pain tolerance and goes thru depressive states as a result. I am trying some light massage to see if it will help.
The most important factor is to make sure she's giving it her all during the rehab phase and remains complient with physical therapy. I know it's difficult with some people, but remind her how important this phase of recovery is. Make sure she's taking those pain meds an hour or so prior to physical therapy to assist with the process.

Giving her protein supplementation as well as Vitamin D/Calcium as Dsade already recommended will absolutely assist in the recovery process.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
She has a very low pain tolerance and goes thru depressive states as a result. I am trying some light massage to see if it will help.

see if you can get her to take up meditation. get her some guided meditation/imagery tapes from the library or see if you can get a teacher to do private lessons at your house... there are also psychologists who specialize in these types of techniques specifically for pain management. PM me if you need help finding one.

meditation can be EXTREMELY effective for pain management, and not just during the meditative state but can bring relief throughout the day. it can actually alter how the brain response to the firing of pain nerves. i know it sounds a bit new-agey and some people may be reluctant to try it, but its becoming a commonly accepted practice in the medical field and has quite of bit of real scientific proof behind it. they are even giving meditation lessons at my mothers (is a nurse) hospital

How To Use Meditation for Pain Management | eHow.com
Meditation a Hit for Pain Management : NPR
meditation pain management - Google Search

Pain Tolerance Improved By Transcendental Meditation ( Researchers have found that people who ...)
Researchers have found that people who practice Transcendental meditation have increased pain tolerance. In a research conducted among 12 healthy //long-term transcendental meditators and 12 healthy controls, researchers found that the people practicing meditation had 40-50% lower brain response to pain than the healthy controls not practicing meditation. They also found that when these healthy controls practiced Transcendental meditation for 5 months they too showed a similar brain response to pain.