Diet Plan for a 17 yr old.

kpuck9

Awards
So my hockey season just ended and I'm starting to work out again. I actually lost weight over the course of the season and to compensate i'd been eating wendy's 3 times a week for about 2 months to try and to put on some weight to no avail. My metabolism is ridiculous.

I'm about 5'8, 135 lbs and i want to get up to at least 155 by the time i start college next year. I've got an athletic build, pretty cut and everything and i want to stay like that but put on some muscle too.

I've got my workout plan all set up with the right supps and good background knowledge on lifting, but I need some help regarding nutrition. I've been looking for some good meal plans on this site but nothing seemed too reasonable for a kid in HS who doesn't have a lot of time to spare preparing meals or experience preparing them. Also, whatever I've been doing until now obviously hasn't been working.

Ideas please?
I see that it's very common to eat at least 6 meals a day so could you also list the times at which to eat the meals in between if i'm eating breakfast around 7, lunch at around 11:15 and working out around 3?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Well first off eating wendys 3 times a day will not only not give you the gains your after, but its just unhealthy.

Second when you say supplements what do you mean?

Basics: Eat every 2-3 hours. Eat whole foods (just eat as much chicken, beef, eggs, tuna, complex carbs, cheese, milk, natty pb, basally anything that isn't fried or filled with emtpy calories.)

You're going to have to sacrifice some time to preparation of meals if you are going to get in enough calories to grow (I was in high school as well and I got down 6 clean meals a day fairly easy.)

Just set up a diet consisting of 3000 calories a day (or at least know that your hitting that daily with wholesome foods.)

kpuck9

Awards
Well first off eating wendys 3 times a day will not only not give you the gains your after, but its just unhealthy.

Second when you say supplements what do you mean?

Basics: Eat every 2-3 hours. Eat whole foods (just eat as much chicken, beef, eggs, tuna, complex carbs, cheese, milk, natty pb, basally anything that isn't fried or filled with emtpy calories.)

You're going to have to sacrifice some time to preparation of meals if you are going to get in enough calories to grow (I was in high school as well and I got down 6 clean meals a day fairly easy.)

Just set up a diet consisting of 3000 calories a day (or at least know that your hitting that daily with wholesome foods.)

yeah the wendy's phase ended a week ago i was using that example to illustrate that my metabolism just destroys everything. Unfortunately I'm one of those skinny kids that eats a ridiculous amount of food and doesn't gain weight.

Supplements: MHP Up Your Mass and MHP Probolic-SR (should i add Dren and/or some meal replacements?)

And Thanks I'm stocking up my fridge with all those foods you listed.

I could set aside about an hour every night to prepare meals, or do it during the weekend (i can also get my hands on just about anything thats not a problem) so if you could suggest a meal plan for a school day starting at 7 and ending at 2:30 (i work out at 3 and go to bed at 11) that would be cool.

like:

Meal 1 (7am) -
Meal 2 -
Meal 3 -
Meal 4 -
Meal 5 -
Meal 6 -

A majority of the plans i find on this site consist of rice cakes and foods guys who are already jacked need to stay that way. I'm looking for a diet that will get me to that point. I tried only lifting without a proper diet and that really didn't do anything for me. Hopefully a balanced nutrition will.

Thanks.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I find it hard that most of the diets you saw were just rice cakes and such but Ill help you out anyway.

I'm not going to lay out a specified meal plan because I don't know your tastes or anything and frankly I won't do your work for you lol.

Just set up a daily intake like you have there. Put around 30-50 grams of protein in each meal along with 50-60 grams of quality carb sources. Keep a good amount of carbs before and after you lift. In meal 6 (which should be around when you go to sleep or within an hour of it) eat some cottage cheese with some natural peanut butter (1 cup fat free c/c, 2-4 tbsp of pb since you have a high metabolism.) Also remember to get your daily fat intake (of healthy fats) to around 60-90 grams per day.)

Just outline what you like to eat (meal 1 have eggs, turkey bacon, some milk for example) and so on. Just about what you can fit in for yourself.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Oh yea I forgot to add, forget about the meal replacement gainer shakes. Your much better off (financially and nutritionally) by making your own. Just throw some whey, oats, pb, fruit, or anything you like and blend it up and drink it throughout the day or if your just hungry. So finish those gainers up and in the future just get a quality whey protein mix or blend.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
yeah the wendy's phase ended a week ago i was using that example to illustrate that my metabolism just destroys everything. Unfortunately I'm one of those skinny kids that eats a ridiculous amount of food and doesn't gain weight.

Supplements: MHP Up Your Mass and MHP Probolic-SR (should i add Dren and/or some meal replacements?)

And Thanks I'm stocking up my fridge with all those foods you listed.

I could set aside about an hour every night to prepare meals, or do it during the weekend (i can also get my hands on just about anything thats not a problem) so if you could suggest a meal plan for a school day starting at 7 and ending at 2:30 (i work out at 3 and go to bed at 11) that would be cool.

like:

Meal 1 (7am) -
Meal 2 -
Meal 3 -
Meal 4 -
Meal 5 -
Meal 6 -

A majority of the plans i find on this site consist of rice cakes and foods guys who are already jacked need to stay that way. I'm looking for a diet that will get me to that point. I tried only lifting without a proper diet and that really didn't do anything for me. Hopefully a balanced nutrition will.

Thanks.
Good i am glad you see the importance of nutrition with lifting! that is a great step. First i would no reason at all to add MHP dren(its a fat burner isn't?). Second setting aside time is great and makes it easier if you have food already prepared for school, as that is what i did in HS. The meal plan will depend on when your classes are and breaks in between. No need to be anal about eating and eating exactly every 2 hours if that falls in the middle of class(just an example). Based on my old HS schedule here is an example of what i used to do:

Meal 1: Wake up and eat around 8ish (Usually Eggs, oats, toast, and milk)
Meal 2: 10:15-10:30ish in between first two blocks( Usually a MRP and granola bar, i usually had SAN Infusion)
Meal 3: 1ish depending on which school day it was (Chicken or tuna sandwhich, granola bar, milk, and rice)
*workout after school at 3:30ish*
Meal 4(PWO): Around 4:30-5 i had a post-workout shake usually of ground oats, milk, and protein powder.
Meal 5: Around 6ish (Usually lean meat and rice)
Meal 6: 9ish (cottage cheese and PB)
*fruits and veggies thrown in with any meals that i could get them with*

This is just a rough sample from memory of what i did usually. Food choices were usually changed around depending on what was in the house and portions based on how many calories i needed to take in. Hope that helps, and if you need more help just post up your daily school schedule and i will gladly help you find times for meals and meal suggestions.

kpuck9

Awards
I find it hard that most of the diets you saw were just rice cakes and such but Ill help you out anyway.

I'm not going to lay out a specified meal plan because I don't know your tastes or anything and frankly I won't do your work for you lol.

Just set up a daily intake like you have there. Put around 30-50 grams of protein in each meal along with 50-60 grams of quality carb sources. Keep a good amount of carbs before and after you lift. In meal 6 (which should be around when you go to sleep or within an hour of it) eat some cottage cheese with some natural peanut butter (1 cup fat free c/c, 2-4 tbsp of pb since you have a high metabolism.) Also remember to get your daily fat intake (of healthy fats) to around 60-90 grams per day.)

Just outline what you like to eat (meal 1 have eggs, turkey bacon, some milk for example) and so on. Just about what you can fit in for yourself.
haha okay thats reasonable and those are all really great suggestions I'll definitely implement them.

When you say quality carb sources are you talking about wheat pasta/whole grain bread/rice etc.?

Also, why cottage cheese?

Thanks OCCFan023 i really appreciate your advice.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
haha okay thats reasonable and those are all really great suggestions I'll definitely implement them.

When you say quality carb sources are you talking about wheat pasta/whole grain bread/rice etc.?

Also, why cottage cheese?

Thanks OCCFan023 i really appreciate your advice.
Exactly on the quality carb sources man (also oats and stuff like that.)

Cottage cheese is full of quality casein protein (slowly released and digested by the body so it will provide a steady stream of nutrients while you sleep for 8+ hours.) PB will also help slow the digestion and provide healthy fats.

If you get stuck or anything about meal timing and such Bolt layed out a real solid outline above. Also like he said any more Qs go ahead and ask (and also reminded me about getting the vegetables in.)

kpuck9

Awards
Good i am glad you see the importance of nutrition with lifting! that is a great step. First i would no reason at all to add MHP dren(its a fat burner isn't?). Second setting aside time is great and makes it easier if you have food already prepared for school, as that is what i did in HS. The meal plan will depend on when your classes are and breaks in between. No need to be anal about eating and eating exactly every 2 hours if that falls in the middle of class(just an example). Based on my old HS schedule here is an example of what i used to do:

Meal 1: Wake up and eat around 8ish (Usually Eggs, oats, toast, and milk)
Meal 2: 10:15-10:30ish in between first two blocks( Usually a MRP and granola bar, i usually had SAN Infusion)
Meal 3: 1ish depending on which school day it was (Chicken or tuna sandwhich, granola bar, milk, and rice)
*workout after school at 3:30ish*
Meal 4(PWO): Around 4:30-5 i had a post-workout shake usually of ground oats, milk, and protein powder.
Meal 5: Around 6ish (Usually lean meat and rice)
Meal 6: 9ish (cottage cheese and PB)
*fruits and veggies thrown in with any meals that i could get them with*

This is just a rough sample from memory of what i did usually. Food choices were usually changed around depending on what was in the house and portions based on how many calories i needed to take in. Hope that helps, and if you need more help just post up your daily school schedule and i will gladly help you find times for meals and meal suggestions.
Thanks I definitely want to set my self apart from my friends who are just popping 6 T Bombs in a day. Thats not the path i want to take.

School Day
Wake up around 6:30 and eat breakfast around 7.
7:37 - 8:36 1st Block
8:40 - 9:38 2nd Block
9:42 - 10:40 3rd Block
Lunch somewhere in between 10:44 and 11:44 depending on what day it is.
12:18 - 1:16 5th Block
1:20 - 2:18 6th Block

That meal plan you used during high school looks ideal for a kid like me. I can just set everything back an hour or two and it should work. For my MRP should i just make a shake out of my weight gainer or make my own with the "whey, oats, pb, fruit" like OCCFan023 suggested. I'm not really concerned financially if its MHP because I have a really good friend that can get me anything from Probolic-SR to T-Bombs.

Also, I know that sleep and getting rest is just as important as good nutrition but I'm not so sure i can do that. I sleep about 7 hrs a night during the week because I've got a pretty ridiculous work load (I'm in all AP classes). Will that really hinder progress?

Thanks bolt10!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks I definitely want to set my self apart from my friends who are just popping 6 T Bombs in a day. Thats not the path i want to take.

School Day
Wake up around 6:30 and eat breakfast around 7.
7:37 - 8:36 1st Block
8:40 - 9:38 2nd Block
9:42 - 10:40 3rd Block
Lunch somewhere in between 10:44 and 11:44 depending on what day it is.
12:18 - 1:16 5th Block
1:20 - 2:18 6th Block

That meal plan you used during high school looks ideal for a kid like me. I can just set everything back an hour or two and it should work. For my MRP should i just make a shake out of my weight gainer or make my own with the "whey, oats, pb, fruit" like OCCFan023 suggested. I'm not really concerned financially if its MHP because I have a really good friend that can get me anything from Probolic-SR to T-Bombs.

Also, I know that sleep and getting rest is just as important as good nutrition but I'm not so sure i can do that. I sleep about 7 hrs a night during the week because I've got a pretty ridiculous work load (I'm in all AP classes). Will that really hinder progress?

Thanks bolt10!
Np at all man. Yea just fit it to your schedule i just wanted to give a brief example just to get you thinking in the right direction. I wish some1 woulda helped me back then because as i started eating clean early, it wasn't until my senior year that i got this schedule thing down.

I usually prefer to make my own MRP shakes as i do not like filler carbs and fats, i want healthy quality carbs and fats. I usually put oats, milk, fruit, and/or PB in my Ultra Peptide to make a MRP. I also put oats in SAN Infusion(which i think is one of the best on the market of the MRPs) to give it some extra cals. W/e works for you though just make sure to eat a lot and get plenty of rest and training and things should work out nicely.

Best of luck and can always help out if you need any more

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
8 hours is what people like to suggest/is what I try to hit as a minimum but 7 hours is fine if you can function with your workload and training (high school was so annoying having to get up so damn early.)

kpuck9

Awards
thank you guys both so much you have no idea I'll keep you guys posted on progress and whatnot.

So here's what I've drawn up -

Meal 1 (7am) - 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, 1 Slice Whole Grain Bread, 1 Yogurt, 2 Granola Bars
Meal 2 (8:40am) - Weight Gainer Shake, 2 Granola Bars
Meal 3/Pre-Workout (10:44 or 11:44) - Grilled Chicken and Cold Cut Turkey Wrap with Avocado, 1 Yogurt, Rice, 2 Granola Bars, little bag of lowfat chips (I'm addicted to chips)
Meal 4/Post-Workout (4ish) - Weight Gainer Shake, 1 Banana, 1 Granola Bar
Meal 5 (6pm) - Lean meat and rice and whatever's for dinner
Meal 6 (11pm) - Cottage Cheese, fruit of some sort, Natty Peanut Butter

How does that look? Are the gaps between the last three meals okay? And regarding the supps, if i'm using the weight gainer stuff do I use whey protein too?

Thanks again!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
thank you guys both so much you have no idea I'll keep you guys posted on progress and whatnot.

So here's what I've drawn up -

Meal 1 (7am) - 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, 1 Slice Whole Grain Bread, 1 Yogurt, 2 Granola Bars
Meal 2 (8:40am) - Weight Gainer Shake, 2 Granola Bars
Meal 3/Pre-Workout (10:44 or 11:44) - Grilled Chicken and Cold Cut Turkey Wrap with Avocado, 1 Yogurt, Rice, 2 Granola Bars, little bag of lowfat chips (I'm addicted to chips)
Meal 4/Post-Workout (4ish) - Weight Gainer Shake, 1 Banana, 1 Granola Bar
Meal 5 (6pm) - Lean meat and rice and whatever's for dinner
Meal 6 (11pm) - Cottage Cheese, fruit of some sort, Natty Peanut Butter

How does that look? Are the gaps between the last three meals okay? And regarding the supps, if i'm using the weight gainer stuff do I use whey protein too?

Thanks again!
I think it looks really solid to me. The only thing i would add is some veggies if you get a chance. It has protein, carbs, and healthy fats so you look like you got the hang of it. The only thing i would change is maybe have the last meal a little earlier, but i just don't like eating right before bed.