Does flax seed oil truly need to be refridgerated?

  1. Does flax seed oil truly need to be refridgerated?


    It says it needs to on the bottle after opening. But I am sceptical. Can anyone offer insight. The reason why is I don't want to keep it refridgerated at work. I would maybe go through the bottle in a month. Olive oil doesn't need it,wtf over.


  2. Yes, it really should be. Since it is mainly PUFA, it can oxidize very easily in heat, light, air, etc. Olive oil doesn't need to be because it is mainly MUFA.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by rpen22 View Post
    Yes, it really should be. Since it is mainly PUFA, it can oxidize very easily in heat, light, air, etc. Olive oil doesn't need to be because it is mainly MUFA.
    Good post, although olive oil should be kept in cool dark place. All unsaturated fats/oils have a higher propensity for degradation/rancidity than saturated fats/oils.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
    •   
       


  4. What's the point! The flax oil is likely already rancid when you buy it. I've heard that almost all flax oil is rancid from the get go.

  5. i dunno man but i've always been told to refridgerate it so i do.

  6. Unless your hard pressed for fridge space why not...

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Neil5585 View Post
    What's the point! The flax oil is likely already rancid when you buy it. I've heard that almost all flax oil is rancid from the get go.
    I could give a **** about it being rancid or whatever else. I just want my fat grams and cal's for my keto diet.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    I could give a **** about it being rancid or whatever else. I just want my fat grams and cal's for my keto diet.

    That's pretty stupid. Might I recommend supplementing with Crisco shortening 1 tbsp per meal.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Neil5585 View Post
    What's the point! The flax oil is likely already rancid when you buy it. I've heard that almost all flax oil is rancid from the get go.
    Well there you go again neil, "hearing" and not actually doing. Flax oil is the best tasting oil there is. Spectrum brand is best.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
    Well there you go again neil, "hearing" and not actually doing. Flax oil is the best tasting oil there is. Spectrum brand is best.

    Poliquin says there are only like 2 brands that aren't rancid, and of course he didn't say which ones aren't! So is Spectrum one of them? I dunno, it could be.

    The safest bet is fresh ground flax seeds to get this good fat in. Fish oil is still far superior, but fresh ground flax has its own benefits.
  11. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    ground flax is nice on yogurt
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Neil5585 View Post
    The safest bet is fresh ground flax seeds to get this good fat in. Fish oil is still far superior, but fresh ground flax has its own benefits.
    For the most part, I would agree with this.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    ground flax is nice on yogurt
    2 Tbsp on porridge every morning is my secret. Actually this morning I forgot to put it in so I took it straight, my housemates thought I was crazy. It has a sorta interesting nutty flavour.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 12:27 PM
  2. PCT... does it need to be tweaked
    By Brolic in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 02:45 PM
  3. Does forskolin need to be cycled?
    By Sanserif in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 03:49 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 12:07 PM
  5. does tribulus really need to be cycled?
    By LakeMountD in forum Supplements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Log in
Log in