Does flax seed oil truly need to be refridgerated?

Goat

Awards
It says it needs to on the bottle after opening. But I am sceptical. Can anyone offer insight. The reason why is I don't want to keep it refridgerated at work. I would maybe go through the bottle in a month. Olive oil doesn't need it,wtf over.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yes, it really should be. Since it is mainly PUFA, it can oxidize very easily in heat, light, air, etc. Olive oil doesn't need to be because it is mainly MUFA.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Yes, it really should be. Since it is mainly PUFA, it can oxidize very easily in heat, light, air, etc. Olive oil doesn't need to be because it is mainly MUFA.
Good post, although olive oil should be kept in cool dark place. All unsaturated fats/oils have a higher propensity for degradation/rancidity than saturated fats/oils.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
What's the point! The flax oil is likely already rancid when you buy it. I've heard that almost all flax oil is rancid from the get go.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
i dunno man but i've always been told to refridgerate it so i do.

Schism

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Unless your hard pressed for fridge space why not...

Goat

Awards
What's the point! The flax oil is likely already rancid when you buy it. I've heard that almost all flax oil is rancid from the get go.
I could give a **** about it being rancid or whatever else. I just want my fat grams and cal's for my keto diet.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
I could give a **** about it being rancid or whatever else. I just want my fat grams and cal's for my keto diet.

That's pretty stupid. Might I recommend supplementing with Crisco shortening 1 tbsp per meal.

Whiplash

Whiplash

Awards
Well there you go again neil, "hearing" and not actually doing. Flax oil is the best tasting oil there is. Spectrum brand is best.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Well there you go again neil, "hearing" and not actually doing. Flax oil is the best tasting oil there is. Spectrum brand is best.

Poliquin says there are only like 2 brands that aren't rancid, and of course he didn't say which ones aren't! So is Spectrum one of them? I dunno, it could be.

The safest bet is fresh ground flax seeds to get this good fat in. Fish oil is still far superior, but fresh ground flax has its own benefits.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The safest bet is fresh ground flax seeds to get this good fat in. Fish oil is still far superior, but fresh ground flax has its own benefits.
For the most part, I would agree with this.