Gr-Easy EJL's fish oil megadosing ala Charles Poliquin thread

Page 11 of 18 First ... 910111213 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by endless View Post
    I am confused on something. If I wanted to take 30 grams of fish oil a day. Lets use the VS brand of fish oil. The label says each teaspoon has 1250 mg of omega 3. So 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon which is 3750 mg. So I would need to take 8 tablespoons (24 teaspoons) to get 30 grams correct? So why do I keep reading that 3 tablespoons = 30 grams. Or am I not understanding something. Thanks.
    You want to take 30 grams of fish oil not 30 grams of omega 3 1 tsp of vitamin shoppe brand contains 5 grams of fishoil so 3 tsp(1 tbs) = 15 grams of fishoil, you would need 2 tbs to = 30 grams of fishoil.

2. Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
    You want to take 30 grams of fish oil not 30 grams of omega 3 1 tsp of vitamin shoppe brand contains 5 grams of fishoil so 3 tsp(1 tbs) = 15 grams of fishoil, you would need 2 tbs to = 30 grams of fishoil.
    Thanks for clearing that up!
    •   

3. Never enough

I was hitting around 2.5g of DHA and 3.something of EPA a day
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

4. The Carlson's is 16.9 fl oz, but it doesn't say how many servings that will end up being. Anyone have any ideas? I can't seem to find a conversion from fl oz, to tablespoons.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nabisco View Post
    The Carlson's is 16.9 fl oz, but it doesn't say how many servings that will end up being. Anyone have any ideas? I can't seem to find a conversion from fl oz, to tablespoons.
    1 TBSP == 0.5 fl. oz.

Just a touch over 33 TBSP.

Each tsp of Carlson's has:

DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 500 mg *
    EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 800 mg *

So 1TBSP 1500mg DHA & 2400mg EPA.

I would start at 2TBSP of Carlson's to get 3g of DHA and 7.2g of EPA.

Remember, that will add ~ 250cals a day.

1 Bottle will last ~2 weeks.

X
    “Besides, it is a disgrace to grow old through sheer carelessness before seeing what manner of man you may become by developing your bodily strength and beauty to their highest limit.”
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post
    1 TBSP == 0.5 fl. oz.

Just a touch over 33 TBSP.

Each tsp of Carlson's has:

DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 500 mg *
    EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 800 mg *

So 1TBSP 1500mg DHA & 2400mg EPA.

I would start at 2TBSP of Carlson's to get 3g of DHA and 7.2g of EPA.

Remember, that will add ~ 250cals a day.

1 Bottle will last ~2 weeks.

X
    Thanks Xodus.

7. it is a known fact that the reason why the natural death age in alaska is so high because they eat a lot of salmon and salmon has a lot of omega 3 fish oil their daily intake was atleast 12gr a day so fish oil is definalty a good idea i take 15gr a day after i read that article not knowing it could increase size and strength but now since reading this definatly upping the dose for a couple weeks then come back down to 12
  8. Never enough

I can't wait for my xfactor logging to be over so I can go back to the 30g a day
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

9. im confused someone laydown completly what you need a day fill in the blanks

FISH OIL......total blank.....
    EPA......total gr blank....
    DHA...Total gr blank....
    im just a bit confused also what about omega 6 and 9??

EDIT** because i take 15 caps cause they say 1,000mg fish oil so am i really taking 15gr
    Last edited by king1033; 11-13-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typo
  10. Never enough

Quote Originally Posted by king1033 View Post
    im confused someone laydown completly what you need a day fill in the blanks

FISH OIL......total blank.....
    EPA......total gr blank....
    DHA...Total gr blank....
    im just a bit confused also what about omega 6 and 9??

EDIT** because i take 15 caps cause they say 1,000mg fish oil so am i really taking 15gr
    no hard easy rule basically i was shooting for at least 30g of fish oil a day, to reach at least 2.5g DHA. in theory, the epa is less important. Feel free to jiggle around the specific #s over the span of a few months to see what feels best.

I would lean towards thinking its almost impossible to get too much. If you look at what mans diet was historically, there was a LOT more omega 3 + 6 in it
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

11. the fish oil i take if from life extension heres a link it has the nutrition facts

http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00982.html

i only need to take 10 softgels a day to get to 2.5g DHA

that is what im reaching for high DHA not necisarily high amounts of plain fish oil correct??
  12. Never enough

That would seem reasonable yes I think the dha portion of it is probably the most critical part for the benefits.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

13. wow so it will only cost me 60 bucks a week for fish oil why was another guy spending 120?? so is 2.5gr of dha the golden number o would going higher be more beneficial?? sorry for all the questions i just find this very interesting
  14. Never enough

I was spending around $6 a week buying a store brand liquid, taking 3 tablespoons a day. Its really got such little studies around it, its hard to say. Definitely see mood enhancement, definitely see skin enhancement (oilyness disappears after a while 3 weeks or so) overall sense of well being, and I believe enhanced "natural" anabolic activity and/or catabolism protection. Plus it should be good for triglyceride levels
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

15. 6 BUCKS what store brand?!?! thats amazing
  16. Question

Got a question,if anyone knows...for the Omega-3 oils, most companies tend to list the amounts of Omega-3s, but not what the rest of the oils in a serving are.
    Take NOW brand Omega-3: Total fat per serving is 2 grams, Omega-3 oils 680 mg. what kind of fat is the other 1320 mg? Is it just Omega-6 and 9 that they just don't mention so it looks like a better supp?

17. Quote Originally Posted by king1033 View Post
    6 BUCKS what store brand?!?! thats amazing
    Vitamin Shoppe.

They were having a BOGO (buy one get one) 50% off sale.

Might check their site again, easier to order online as they don't carry many bottles in their stores (I only found 3 bottles in each store around here).

X
    “Besides, it is a disgrace to grow old through sheer carelessness before seeing what manner of man you may become by developing your bodily strength and beauty to their highest limit.”

18. bump. anything going on with this?

19. Question: I have another 2 months of cutting, and this idea of megadosing fish oils sounds intriguing. Should i just wait for a bulk cycle to do that, or would it also help my cutting cycle by helping fat loss and retaining muscle??
  20. Never enough

Works either way, part of its beauty. Just make sure you take into account the calories you are taking in. 30g of fish oil is another 270 cal a day.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

21. Quote Originally Posted by king1033 View Post
    it is a known fact that the reason why the natural death age in alaska is so high because they eat a lot of salmon and salmon has a lot of omega 3 fish oil their daily intake was atleast 12gr a day so fish oil is definalty a good idea i take 15gr a day after i read that article not knowing it could increase size and strength but now since reading this definatly upping the dose for a couple weeks then come back down to 12
    That is interesting.

Would you have any info on that? Reason I ask is it was my understanding the (natural death rate) cancer rate and death from infection, heart trouble etc is higher in native Alaskans than residents of the continental US.

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

22. Currently it is but that's likely because they now eat our food and develop insulin resistance very quickly. Even Inuits or Aleuts now consume high GI carbs and trans fats.

What their death rates were before European contact is not documented to my knowledge although infection was believed to be a major cause of death. Most older people died from tooth abcesses or lack of teeth.

23. What happens if I overdose?
    • Seek emergency medical attention.
    • Symptoms of a Fish Oil overdose include tiredness, discomfort, lethargy, upset stomach, decreased appetite, vomiting, slow or decreased growth, joint soreness, irritability, headache, drying and cracking of the lips and skin, hair loss, and yellowing of the skin.

What are the possible side effects of Fish Oil?

• Stop taking Fish Oil and seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives).
    • Other, less serious side effects may occur with large doses or prolonged use of Fish Oil. Notify your doctor if you experience
    · tiredness;
    · nausea, vomiting, or decreased appetite;
    · irritability;
    · headache;
    · dryness or cracking of the lips or skin; or
    · hair loss.
    • Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

I got this from : http://www.drugs.com/fish_oil.html

It appears that overdosing fishoil can be harmful?
  24. Never enough

Sure, but what defines overdose? You can overdose on milk as well, there have been fatalities.

Whats bizarre to me is that those symptoms are all exactly the opposite of what you get with high dose fish oil
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

25. Sorry. actually the more articles that I've read, those symptoms seem to be from over-dosing on Cod liver oil which is high in vitamin A which can be toxic to the body. Most of my research actually is now agreeing with what you've reported. The site i posted i guess wasn't very specific. I guess i shouldn't have jumped the gun there and done some more research first lol.
  26. Never enough

theres plenty of times where pieces of research dont agree with each other too. Its nice to have a list of negative symptoms to look out for anyhow. And some people may be using code liver oil instead of fish body oil, so its valuable to know
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

27. The thing with Cod Liver oil is that it typically has high enough levels of Vitamin E to offset the Vitamin A 'poisoning' that you are getting.

Still, Cod liver oil isn't the ~best~ choice of fish oil.

28. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    theres plenty of times where pieces of research dont agree with each other too. Its nice to have a list of negative symptoms to look out for anyhow. And some people may be using code liver oil instead of fish body oil, so its valuable to know
    Yeah, that wouldn't be good for people to start megadosing cod liver oil and have that happen! Btw i went to vitamin shoppe and they only had 1 of those bottles left for 6!. that should last me about 5 more days mega dosing it, they better get more in stock this coming week since the next lowest pried liquid fish oil bottle i saw was nearing $25

29. I do 2 tablespoons of cod liver oil per day with no ill effects. To actually get vitamin A toxicity you REALLY have to work at it..as in say, drink a few bottles per day for weeks.

At the dosage I am taking it equals 12,000 iu's of vitamin A per day which is well within safety parameters. Vitamin A toxicity is extremely rare and typically occurs at levels well above 150,000 to 1,000,000 iu's per day. Unless you dine on seal liver everyday, I wouldn't worry about it.

30. Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Unless you dine on seal liver everyday, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Looks like I'm gonna have to change my diet around ....
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 05:14 PM
  2. Fish Oil: Once a day or spaced out?
    By Rock Lee in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 11:02 AM
  3. High-dose fish oil instead of CLA
    By Jcc in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 08:39 PM