SOY Protein... Helpful or Harmful???

TheDrive

Awards
I'm 5'10" 179 lbs. I'm finding it very difficult to put on good quality muscle. I am in the Navy and (unfortunately) deployed right now.
Good quality protein is hard to come by in my choices of food while floating around out here in the middle of the south Pacific.

I am horribly lactose intolerant and Whey protein will put in out of commission for at least a day. Even the ones that claim to be lactose free have caused me problems in the past.

I ordered some "Soy Pro" Protein. It took about 5 weeks to get to me but at least I have something to try out. I'm consuming about 160 gr. (or more) on my training days. What I'm really wondering is, whether or not Soy Proteins can cause any extra, unwanted estrogen production. There have been a number of studies suggesting that certain compounds in Soy products can raise estrogen levels.
Does anyone have any comments on this? I've heard that Protein supplements derived from Egg proteins are available, but despite my searching, I haven't come across any...

Any and all comments or opinions are greatly appreciated...!!!

GO NAVY

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
I've read that soy protein isolate is ok, but all other forms of soy with the exception of fermented products are to be avoided.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I use Soy and it works pretty well. Soy and whey both have extremely fast digestion rates. If you use soy to supplement there is no problem with the estrogen. If your looking at getting 90% or so of your protein from soy shakes then it'll be a problem.

I usually have 2-3 soy shakes a day (usually 2) then get the rest of my protein from food. Good luck.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I've read that soy protein isolate is ok, but all other forms of soy with the exception of fermented products are to be avoided.
Soy Isolate is the worse one, unless you like having high estrogen levels.

TheDrive

Awards
I use Soy and it works pretty well. Soy and whey both have extremely fast digestion rates. If you use soy to supplement there is no problem with the estrogen. If your looking at getting 90% or so of your protein from soy shakes then it'll be a problem.

I usually have 2-3 soy shakes a day (usually 2) then get the rest of my protein from food. Good luck.
The servings 27 gr. Protein per scoop. I generally use 2 scoops per shake. I'd say that around 80% (or sometimes more...) of my daily protein intake is from the shakes. The food here F*CKING blows. It's really hit or miss... Today's lunch choices were some kind of pasta bullsh*t (with no meat in it at all whatsoever) or deep fried fish sticks...and you get like 5 fish sticks... That's like 12 gr. Protein...if that. Lunch for me ended up being a 2-scoop-shake, a couple greasy fish sticks, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, a salad and some fruit. Dinner was cheese pizza... There's no other alternative out here 1,000 miles from land in every direction... See my problem???

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Here is an article

A little over a year ago, soy protein was the talk of the town. It was invited to all the parties, and it was even rumored to be having a little romantic fling with Jennifer Aniston from Friends (before she married Brad Pitt).

Likewise, the general media was touting it to be the best thing since sliced bread, or was that 100% stone ground wheat bread? Oh well. Anyhow, since the government gave soy a "thumbs up" to the public, stating that, "25 grams of soy protein per day, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease," people began to think that it was indeed the best protein around. After all, it was relatively high in quality, cheap, and healthy! What else could you want?

And to boot, a few studies arose from the muck to indicate that this protein may enhance anabolic hormone levels and may increase thyroid hormone levels while dieting. Sounds soooo good. Right? Well, after a good amount of both scientific and "real world" evidence has surfaced, it turns out that soy may not be so good after all. Especially for the male bodybuilder.

Sounds all too familiar to me. Reminds me of the evil-painted women that I and other hapless men have encountered in the past. Sure, she's beautiful, classy, smart, loaded, and best of all, horny! Nothing could be better in life. That is, until you start to discover that your wallet's missing 200 bucks and it now burns when you take a pee.

Ouch! Sounds pretty harsh, eh? Well, even so, this still isn't even close to what soy has done to us. I'll let you in on all of the evil and destructive things that soy can do to you, should you decide to consume it. Sadly though, we must be careful, as many companies are still adding this vile crud into protein formulas, bars, and meal replacements. Hopefully, after you hear what I have to say, you realize that soy shouldn't be consumed by male bodybuilders. Not even your worst enemy deserves the horrid effects that soy is capable of producing. Okay, enough rambling, let's get to it.

First though, before we begin, I just want to go over some quick review material, just to make sure we're all on the same page. The reason why soy is so bad basically boils down to the isoflavones that it contains. Two of these isoflavones, genistein and daidzein, are what cause the majority of negative effects seen with soy protein use.

These two villains bind readily to Estrogen Receptors. One such receptor is the Alpha receptor and the other, of course, is the Beta receptor. The Alpha receptor is the one generally associated with breast tumors, increased body fat, water retention, etc. The Beta receptor really isn't something to worry about. Anyhow, genistein and daidzein can bind rather well to the Alpha receptor.

No big deal right? Well, it might actually be somewhat beneficial if they didn't activate transcription to any significant degree, as this would be what's considered an anti-estrogenic action. In other words, it would be good if the compound binded to the site and didn't cause any growth, while preventing any naturally-produced estrogen from binding (the estrogen "parking spots" would already be filled). However, genistein does activate transcription to a significant degree after binding to the Alpha receptor and therefore will cause growth of tissues.(1,2,3)

Two of America's Most Wanted

Unfortunately, the two soy isoflavones that I mentioned previously can have numerous adverse effects on everything ranging from Testosterone production, thyroid production, muscle growth, and even health.

Let's consider soy's affects on T production first. The ability of soy protein to decrease Testosterone levels has been well demonstrated. One study displayed a 76% reduction of Testosterone production in men, after ingestion of soy protein over a brief period of time.(4) In yet another study, an inverse association was found between soy protein intake and Testosterone levels in Japanese men.(5)

Finally, in yet another study, using healthy adult males, a diet containing soy was compared to a diet that consisted of meat protein in terms of sex hormone concentrations. Well, after evaluation, Testosterone levels were significantly lower in the soy diet. Not only this, but the estimated amount of free Testosterone was 7% lower after the soy diet as well.(6)

Hey, mice didn't fare much better. Testosterone and LH were also lowered in mice consuming only the isoflavone genistein.(7)

The evidence seems pretty conclusive. There may, of course, be other factors, but it's enough to give one pause when considering whether or not he should add some soy to his next protein drink.

IGF, Thyroid, and the Girly Hormones

It's fairly clear that soy protein lowers testosterone levels. How does it affect estrogen and progesterone levels? You'd figure that genistein would at least reduce the activity of estrogen to some extent, since it binds at the same receptor site, right? Well, apparently not. It turns out that genistein does not inhibit the effects of estradiol and in fact has been demonstrated to exert an additive effect when combined with estradiol.(2,8)

This means that they don't interfere with one another and can both exert the same negative effects at the same time, thus, packing a double punch. Furthermore, genistein may potentially increase estradiol levels as well. It's thought that this may occur because genistein may deconjugate estrone in the gut and allow for it to reabsorb into the bloostream and convert to estradiol.(9)

It's possible that it may also exert some progestational activity.(10) Even worse is that the estrogenic activity of these phytoestrogens may have been underestimated in the past, as there is evidence that they may be much more potent in vivo as opposed to in vitro [test tube] studies.(11) Oh, and while we're still on the topic or hormones, soy protein has also been shown to decrease IGF-1 concentrations in male rats.(12) Oh, and I'd feel bad if I forgot to mention that it can lower T4 levels, too.(13)

Protecting Our Future

While planting a seed definitely isn't an immediate goal of mine, I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there who wish to pass on their superior genes. So, for these men, I urge you to not let your child or pregnant wife consume any products that contain soy. While there isn't concrete evidence as of yet, there's still enough to warrant some caution.

For instance, when female rats were fed genistein while pregnant, their pups weighed significantly less than the groups that weren't fed genistein.(14) Also, when young rats were given genistein, spermatogenesis decreased, as did body weight, testicle size, and possibly the urge to mate. Another study found similar results.(15,16)

Oh, and before I forget, genistein has been shown to cause testicular cells to die, in vitro at least.(17)

Healthy? I Think Not

The main reason why the government decided to "sponsor" soy protein was because it can supposedly reduce the risk of heart disease. However, the funny, or scary, thing is that soy has actually been shown to decrease HDL cholesterol.(18,19) HDL cholesterol is the good kind.

Furthermore, it's possible that the isoflavones can induce growth and malignancy of the prostate. This is because the ER Alpha is thought to be at least partially responsible for the induction of growth. So, in theory, since genistein can agonize the ER Alpha in much the same way as estradiol, then it could cause growth of the prostate.(20)

Okay, So What About my Muscles?

Okay, now let's move on to the important stuff. How good is soy protein in terms of increasing muscle growth? Well, when compared to casein, it was beaten in terms of both protein synthesis and breakdown.(21) So, we know that it can't match proteins like casein or whey. What else? Well, even though this might make you cringe, I feel obligated to tell you. Get this, genistein was shown to inhibit myoblast proliferation and fusion in a dose-dependent manner!

It decreased protein synthesis and inhibited protein accretion as a result. These results occurred even at the lowest dose. The authors concluded that if animals consume enough soy, those concentrations of genistein could potentially affect normal muscle growth and development.(22)

Now that's some frightening stuff! Okay, so things couldn't get any worse for soy, right? Well not only may it interfere with muscle growth, but it may screw with your pro-hormone usage. Why is that? Well, genistein may interfere with the conversion of 4-androstenediol to Testosterone, thus, reducing the effectiveness of your favorite supplement to a good degree! This happens because it interferes with the enzyme 3 Beta-HSD.(23)

The End?

Boy, I wish it were the end, but the fact is that many companies, with the encouragement of the government, will continue to add soy protein to their products. However, like many of us fringe-element weight lifters have for so many years, we'll stand by and endure while the rest of the world makes a big mistake.

The next thing you know, there will be a big story about how truly harmful this stuff is to the male. Hopefully it won't be too late. But hey, maybe I'm being a bit hypercritical here. I mean, who knows, this may actually be a good supplement for the average woman. They seem to think they need more estrogen and less muscle, so more power to 'em.

For those T-Vixens, however, stay away from it! Especially while pregnant. Anyhow, my advice for you would be to read every food and supplement label that you have to make sure that there isn't any soy within the product. I mean, hey, you'll be checking the macronutrient profile anyhow, so just skim on down to the ingredients from now on. Be careful, you'd be surprised by how many items have been tainted. For now, good luck and keep your eyes peeled.

References Cited

1.Breinholt V, et al. "Estrogenic activity of flavonoids in mice. The importance of estrogen receptor distribution, metabolism and bioavailability." Food Chem Toxicol 2000 Jul;38(7):555-64

2.Casanova M, et al. "Developmental effects of dietary phytoestrogens in Sprague-Dawley rats and interactions of genistein and daidzein with rat estrogen receptors alpha and beta in vitro." Toxicol Sci 1999 Oct;51(2):236-44

3.Stahl S, et al. "Phytoestrogens act as estrogen agonists in an estrogen-responsive pituitary cell line." Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1998 Sep;152(1):41-8

4.Zhong, et al. "Effects of dietary supplement of soy protein isolate and low fat diet on prostate cancer." FASEB J 2000;14(4):a531.11

5.Nagata C, et al. "Inverse association of soy product intake with serum androgen and estrogen concentrations in Japanese men." Nutr Cancer 2000;36(1):14-8.

6.Habito RC, et al. "Effects of replacing meat with soyabean in the diet on sex hormone concentrations in healthy adult males." Br J Nutr 2000 Oct;84(4):557-63

7.Strauss L, et al. "Genistein exerts estrogen-like effects in male mouse reproductive tract." Mol Cell Endocrinol 1998 Sep 25;144(1-2):83-93

8.Santell RC, et al. "Dietary genistein exerts estrogenic effects upon the uterus, mammary gland and the hypothalamic/pituitary axis in rats." J Nutr 1997 Feb;127(2):263-9

9.Harrison RM, et al. "Effect of genistein on steroid hormone production in the pregnant rhesus monkey." Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1999 Oct;222(1):78-84

10.Zand RS, et al. "Steroid hormone activity of flavonoids and related compounds." Breast Cancer Res Treat 2000 Jul;62(1):35-49

11.Nagel SC, et al. "The effective free fraction of estradiol and xenoestrogens in human serum measured by whole cell uptake assays: physiology of delivery modifies estrogenic activity." Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1998 Mar;217(3):300-9

12.Aukema HM, Housini I. "Dietary soy protein effects on disease and IGF-1 in male and female Han:SPDR-cy rats." Kidney Int 2001 Jan;59(1):52-61

13.Klein M, et al. "Energy metabolism and thyroid hormone levels of growing rats in response to different dietary proteins?soy or casein." Arch Tierernahr 2000;53(2):99-125.

14.Flynn KM, et al. "Effects of genistein exposure on sexually dimorphic behaviors in rats." Toxicol Sci 2000 Jun;55(2):311-9

15.Atanassova N, et al. "Comparative effects of neonatal exposure of male rats to potent and weak (environmental) estrogens on spermatogenesis at puberty and the relationship to adult testis size and fertility: evidence for stimulatory effects of low estrogen levels." Endocrinology 2000 Oct;141(10):3898-907

16.Whitten PL, et al. "Phytoestrogen influences on the development of behavior and gonadotropin function." Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1995 Jan;208(1):82-6

17.Kumi-Diaka J, et al. "Cytotoxic potential of the phytochemical genistein isoflavone (4',5',7-trihydroxyisoflavone) and certain environmental chemical compounds on testicular cells." Biol Cell 1999 Sep;91(7):515-23

18.Ashton E, Ball M. "Effects of soy as tofu vs meat on lipoprotein concentrations." Eur J Clin Nutr 2000 Jan;54(1):14-9

19.Madani S, et al. "Dietary protein level and origin (casein and highly purified soybean protein) affect hepatic storage, plasma lipid transport, and antioxidative defense status in the rat." Nutrition 2000 May;16(5):368-75.

20.Risbridger G, et al. "Evidence that epithelial and mesenchymal estrogen receptor-alpha mediates effects of estrogen on prostatic epithelium." Dev Biol 2001 Jan 15;229(2):432-442

21.Schadereit R, et al. "Whole body protein turnover of growing rats in response to different dietary proteins?soy protein or casein." Arch Tierernahr 1999;52(4):311-21

22.Ji S, et al. "Soybean isoflavones, genistein and genistin, inhibit rat myoblast proliferation, fusion and myotube protein synthesis." J Nutr 1999 Jul;129(7):1291-7

23.Keung WM. "Dietary estrogenic isoflavones are potent inhibitors of beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase of P. testosteronii." Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1995 Oct 24;215(3):1137-44

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards

Are you Asian?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Yes I am asian, and no matter what the 'whey protein' says I'll get GI disorder instantly. I use soy protein and egg protein.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Yes I am asian, and no matter what the 'whey protein' says I'll get GI disorder instantly. I use soy protein and egg protein.
Because I read an article on a study dealing with genetic adaptations to food. And Asians have adapted to soy products.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
The article I read seemed credible - you just can't trust anyone these days.
The article might be creditable, but it comes down to the interpretation to the data, and this is why I included the studies which were referenced.

TheDrive

Awards
Oh my dear God! I was sort of hoping for a, "yeah soy is okay, you'll be fine" answer... Maybe I should stop using that sh*t. Thanks for the info.

Reaper, where are you finding the egg protein... Just like you said, Whey screws me up too....hardcore. I'd rather poison myself that drink a whey shake.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
A good egg protein is Optimum Nutrition 100% Egg Protein. It has the aminogen blend so your getting all the amino acids you need. It took me awhile to find that one. THe only problem is they sell them in 2lb bottles, so your gonna want to stock up on it. Check around on website.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I heard Goat Whey is good for those who are lactose intolerant...

Good luck

TheDrive

Awards
I was taking NxLab's Nitro T3 natural test booster, and I wasn't sure if it was really working. I half expected to 'feel' something a little different. Well, we were extended another 2 weeks out here, and low and behold, I ran out... figures huh? Well, at the say time I was drinking those (possibly evil) Soy shakes. Since I've run out of T3, it almost seems like my muscles aren't as hard and I don't have quite the same motivation in the gym. I'm starting to wonder if the T3 made that much difference or if it's just that is counteracted some of the hormonal effects of the soy and now I'm turning into a b*tch... Oh dear God...

Now I'm starting to wonder (if I hadn't heard about this early and continue to take the soy protein) if it would have a negative effect on the Chlorodrol-50 cycle I'm planning to start next month...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm not really sure about soy in general. I use it with egg protein, because any protein is better than no protein (IMO). I've also tried a series of natural test boosters. I've found them to be 'supportive' in the background in bodybuilding, but they won't put on 30lbs or something ridiculous like a PH/PS. If anything they just support bodybuilding growth, kinda like a multivitamin.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I don't also know how soy would be affected by Chlorodrol-50 but I'm willing to guess there wouldn't be a problem. If I were you, I'd just order some egg protein and put off the Chlorodrol-50 till you get it.

If you run a PS/PH and your not getting adequate protein, your selling your gains short, not to mention risking your health in the process. If you put up potential health risks, you might as well get the most out of it.

TheDrive

Awards
Thanks for the info on the protein Reaper... I'll look into that immediately...
I'll be getting the Chlorodrol in the mail in about 12 days or so... I'm not sure if I want to start my cycle that soon though. 7 months at sea tends to make you want to drink for a week or two while on leave. I don't imagine my sailor's thirst for booze and Chlorodrol would make my liver very happy. I could wait for the egg protein to come in or just bite the bullet and pay the steeper price at GNC. Even in home port, I expect at least 15 days for my mail. At least theres a GNC on the base.

xjsynx...Goat Whey? Are you serious... Maybe you're laughing at me right now, but I'll look it up... LMAO

Sounds like something Trips or Sinner would be interesting in...the goats, not necessarily the whey... :)

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
New research out gentlemen. Soy protein works just fine.

Effect of protein source and resistance training on body composition and sex hormones
Douglas Kalman , Samantha Feldman , Michele Martinez , Diane R Krieger and Mark J Tallon

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2007, 4:4 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-4-4

Published 23 July 2007

Background

Evidence suggests an inverse relationship between soy protein intake and serum concentrations of male sex hormones. Anecdotal evidence indicates that these alterations in serum sex hormones may attenuate changes in lean body mass following resistance training. However, little empirical data exists regarding the effects of soy and milk-based proteins on circulating androgens and exercise induced body composition changes.

Methods

For 12 weeks 20 subjects were supplemented with 50 g per day of one of four different protein sources (Soy concentrate; Soy isolate; Soy isolate and whey blend, and Whey blend only) in combination with a resistance-training program. Body composition, testosterone, estradiol and sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) were measured at baseline and week 12.

Results

Protein supplementation resulted in a significant increase in lean body mass independent of protein source (0.5 1.1 and 0.9 1.4 kg, p = 0.006, p = 0.007). No significant differences were observed between groups for total and free testosterone, SHBG, percentage body fat, BMI or body weight. The Testosterone/Estradiol ratio increased across all groups (+13.4, p = 0.005) and estradiol decreased (p = 0.002). Within group analysis showed significant increases in the Testosterone/Estradiol ratio in soy isolate + whey blend group (+ 16.3, p = 0.030). Estradiol was significantly lower in the whey blend group (- 9.1 8.7 pg/ml, p = 0.033).

Conclusions

This investigation shows that 12 week supplementation with soy protein does not decrease serum testosterone or inhibit lean body mass changes in subjects engaged in a resistance exercise program.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
TheDrive-

I am assuming you are aware that chlorodrol-50 is an oral steroid correct ? You also need to use a SERM (Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator). Drinking and using it is a bad idea in my opinion.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Soy Toxins
There's plenty yet that you didn't know about soy!

Soy contains several naturally occurring compounds that are toxic to humans and animals. The soy industry frequently refers to these toxins as anti-nutrients, which implies that they somehow act to prevent the body getting the complete nutrition it needs from a food. The soy toxins (such as phytic acid) can certainly act in this manner, but they also have the ability to target specific organs, cells and enzyme pathways and their effects can be devastating.

The soy toxins that Soy Online Service have concerns about are protease inhibitors, phytic acid, soy lectins (or haemagglutins), nitrosamines, manganese concentrations and the mysterious soyatoxin. Nitrosamines are not naturally occurring in soybeans but form during the processing of products such as isolated soy protein (ISP).

As with any toxin there will be a dose at which negative effects are not observed. Soy Online Services have examined the scientific data on the soy toxins and have uncovered several alarming truths:

There is no legislation to protect consumers from soy toxins in raw soy products.

With the possible exception of soy lecithin, all soy products, no matter how well treated, contain low to moderate levels of soy toxins; processing cannot remove them all of any of them.

The soy industry has little in the way of quality control to protect consumers from exposure to inadequately treated soy products.

Protease Inhibitors

Perhaps the best known of the soy toxins are the protease inhibitors (also referred to as trypsin inhibitors) which, as the name suggests, are able to inhibit the action of proteases (including trypsin) which are enzymes that are involved in the process of dismantling proteins for use by the body.

In the rat, high levels of exposure to protease inhibitors (such as that found in raw soy flour) cause pancreatic cancer whereas moderate levels cause the rat pancreas to be more susceptible to cancer-causing agents. The validity of the rat model to humans has been questioned and the USFDA have examined the effects of protease inhibitors on the Cebus monkey (JP Harwood et al., Adv Exp Med Biol 1986 199: 223-37).

The parameters of the Cebus Monkey study were as follows:

Group Number of monkeys Dietary Protein Trypsin Inhibitor (mg/g of diet)
1 8 Lactalbumin 0.12
2 10 Soy Isolate 0.54
3 6 Casein 0.08
4 2 Soy Concentrate 2.41

After five years of chronic ingestion to low levels of trypsin inhibitors, there was no discernible pancreatic damage effect in monkeys from groups 1-3. However, one monkey in group 4 exhibited moderate diffuse acinar atrophy, moderate diffuse interstitial fibrosis and moderate chronic pancreatitis in all three sections of tissue examined. Minimal lymphoid hyperplasia was noted in the other group 4 monkey.

Therefore, there is good reason to question claims that low levels of soy protease inhibitors pose no threat to human health. Such a statement has even been made by the USFDA in response to a health claim petition by Protein Technologies. The USFDA reported that:

'Concerns have been raised in the past about exposure to trypsin inhibitors contained in soybeans because these compounds had been found to stimulate pancreatic hyperplasia and hypertrophy in animals. These concerns have been allayed because heat treatment removes most of the activity of these proteases. In addition, recent studies have questioned the applicability of the animal models, which differ from humans in the type of diet, sensitivity of the pancreas to trypsin inhibitors, and the anatomic sites of pancreatic cell proliferation and have found low rates of cancer in populations with dietary patterns that include soy foods' (FR 63, 217:62977-63015, 1998).

This statement brought an angry response from Professor Irvin Leiner, the foremost expert on protease inhibitors. In his reply to the FDA Liener wrote:

'"The impression one gets from reading this section is that that there is little cause for concern as far as the human exposure to soybean trypsin inhibitors is concerned.... In the interests of a balanced treatment of the subject, I trust you will give due consideration to the opposing view that the soybean trypsin inhibitors do in fact pose a potential risk to humans when soy protein is incorporated into the diet."

So, if there is valid concern about low levels of protease inhibitors in soy foods, what about exposures to levels higher higher than those in the Cebus monkey study? Is there any chance that such exposures could occur in human diets?

Soy Online Service has noted that there is considerable variability in the levels of protease inhibitors in commercially available foods and that there is little to protect consumers from exposure to high levels of protease inhibitors. For example, a study entitled 'Trypsin inhibitor levels in soy-based infant formulas and commercial soy protein isolates and concentrates (RW Peace et al., 1992, Food Res Int, 25: 137-141) found that trypsin inhibitor levels were as high as 2.72 mg/g in ready to feed soy formulas and 7.30 mg/g in soy protein concentrate.

Since there is no established acceptable levels of protease inhibitors in foods and no protection from short-term high level (acute) exposures or long term low level (chronic) exposures, Soy Online Service offer the following advice:

Don't feed your baby or infant a soy formula; there are alternatives!
Avoid the direct consumption of raw or partially processed soy products such as soy flour or soy protein concentrate. Traditionally fermented soy foods are relatively free of protease inhibitors.
When preparing your own soy foods, such as boiled or roasted soybeans or soy milk, ensure that they are adequately heated. The traditional Chinese method for preparing soybeans was a time consuming job that was left to monks. It involved soaking the beans first and then boiling them twice over 'the full length of an incense'.

TheDrive

Awards
TheDrive-

I am assuming you are aware that chlorodrol-50 is an oral steroid correct ? You also need to use a SERM (Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator). Drinking and using it is a bad idea in my opinion.
Yes, I know what it is... It should be pretty mild like Halodrol-50 though... Either way, I know that drinking and orals are a bad mix. My liver is threatening me right now...
I got my hands on a decent SERM too... 30 tablets/10mg Nolvadex (tamixofen citrate). That should be coming in the mail soon as well...

gdbear65: Damn...that's a lot to absorb...

TheDrive

Awards
DAMN! Somebody REP'd me...Wooohooo! I feel so special now...LOL

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
xjsynx...Goat Whey? Are you serious... Maybe you're laughing at me right now, but I'll look it up... LMAO
Goat protein is the most bioavailable protein available. I've seen the brand 'Goatein' in Whole Foods and a few other organic food stores. It is expensive though.

If you are looking for egg protein, I would suggest trueprotein.com

You can make your own blends, add flavors, etc. Also ordering in bulk reduces the price. Look around this site or the net and you can find 5% off coupon codes.

X

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I got my hands on a decent SERM too... 30 tablets/10mg Nolvadex (tamixofen citrate). That should be coming in the mail soon as well...
Um. I think you are going to need more.

40mg /day == 28 tabs. What are you going to do for the remaining 2-3 weeks?

X

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
LOL. It does sound funny, but I heard it is a high quality protein???
I haven't searched for it but I have seen it at GNC.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I was thinking that Nolvadex kit you have is not going to be sufficient.

TheDrive

Awards
Um. I think you are going to need more.
40mg /day == 28 tabs. What are you going to do for the remaining 2-3 weeks?
X
Why should I need more than 10mg a day? That's generally the standard dose unless you're using something reallllly strong during the cycle. I've seen logs of guys using Halodrol-50 and 10mg/ED of Nolvadex for PCT and had no problems. I guess if all else fails and I do start to see some gyno I'll up the dosage and get more tabs. I don't really think I'll have to take it for 30 days either, so if I do have to up the dosage, I may be fine with this quantity...
...any one else want to comment on this one...?

Reaper...? Any ideas...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
TheDrive-

You are correct in Halodrol being a mild compound. IMO it is a very good combination all around in terms of solid gains/side effects. Typically the Nolva dosing is as follows

40mg
40mg
20mg
20mg

I don't know how you plan to take Chlorodrol-50 (I'm guessing 50mg/ED) which again is mild, you are correct. People suggest following the 40,40,20,20 protocol b/c it is tried and true, and it works. Is it an overkill ? Maybe in this case. Would it be more applicable for something like Superdrol or Phera-Plex ? Definitly. We are saying to run that dosaging b/c it works, and it is effective. It is better to be safe than sorry.

TheDrive

Awards
TheDrive-

You are correct in Halodrol being a mild compound. IMO it is a very good combination all around in terms of solid gains/side effects. Typically the Nolva dosing is as follows

40mg
40mg
20mg
20mg

I don't know how you plan to take Chlorodrol-50 (I'm guessing 50mg/ED) which again is mild, you are correct. People suggest following the 40,40,20,20 protocol b/c it is tried and true, and it works. Is it an overkill ? Maybe in this case. Would it be more applicable for something like Superdrol or Phera-Plex ? Definitly. We are saying to run that dosaging b/c it works, and it is effective. It is better to be safe than sorry.

I think I can get away with 10mg/ED... (or even 20mg then 10mg) BUT good point, better safe than sorry... What if I just pulse the Chlorodrol-50 (this is just in the event that I can't get anymore Nolvadex)...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm honestly not sure about pulsing. I've never done it before so I cannot say. It is probably best to ask DR.D or someone who has pulsed a compound before.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I think I can get away with 10mg/ED... (or even 20mg then 10mg) BUT good point, better safe than sorry... What if I just pulse the Chlorodrol-50 (this is just in the event that I can't get anymore Nolvadex)...

Honestly, if it was me and I was out on a ship with 2+weeks of mail delay, I think that I would make sure I had more than enough on hand before I started. Something about sitting there, growing tits while you wait for the mail just doesn't sound appealing to me...

X

TheDrive

Awards
They say 'pulsing' a compound like halodrol for example would generally yield 7 lbs of good muscle rather than 10 if taken on an ED basis, but side effects go waaayyy down (most times PCT isn't absolutely necessary--depending on the compound) and though you don't gain as much, you often keep all the muscle you put on.

I just have to ask myself if I can stay committed for 2 months (that's how long it will take if I pulse it vice an ED cycle)...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Personally I don't like the idea of pulsing. When you are being supressed by an outside compound your suppressed. I feel that compounds should just be ran all the way through so you get the full effect. Pulsing sounds like a good idea and I'm not bashing it, but I don't think the compound when it was manufactured by the company made it to be pulsed. At the same time Halodrol is such a mild compound I don't think there is much to benefit from a pulse.

At any rate, that is just my personal opinion.

TheDrive

Awards
Honestly, if it was me and I was out on a ship with 2+weeks of mail delay, I think that I would make sure I had more than enough on hand before I started. Something about sitting there, growing tits while you wait for the mail just doesn't sound appealing to me...

X
It's a natural test booster that I ran out of... It's not like I'm on a cycle right now. Read the thread before you say something...
...And another thing...DO YOU WANT TO DO MY JOB? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT... Take your 10 rep points somewhere else...

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/images/smilies/outnumbered.gif
:numbered:se.:numbered:

TheDrive

Awards
Personally I don't like the idea of pulsing. When you are being supressed by an outside compound your suppressed. I feel that compounds should just be ran all the way through so you get the full effect. Pulsing sounds like a good idea and I'm not bashing it, but I don't think the compound when it was manufactured by the company made it to be pulsed. At the same time Halodrol is such a mild compound I don't think there is much to benefit from a pulse.

True, true... Guess I'm gonna need more Nolvadex then huh? LOL

...and who the **** is this "Xodus" guy...
"blah blah blah...well if I was out on a ship with......
...I'd probably get f***ed..."

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
It's a natural test booster that I ran out of... It's not like I'm on a cycle right now. Read the thread before you say something...
...And another thing...DO YOU WANT TO DO MY JOB? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT... Take your 10 rep points somewhere else...

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/images/smilies/outnumbered.gif
:numbered:se.:numbered:

I did read your thread.

I was talking about running out of Nolva while deployed on your ship. I don't care about your Natural Test Booster.

I don't where your hostility about your job is coming from??

Anyway,

:FUfinger: and your 'rep' points. This ain't bb.com...

X

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
True, true... Guess I'm gonna need more Nolvadex then huh? LOL

...and who the **** is this "Xodus" guy...
"blah blah blah...well if I was out on a ship with......
...I'd probably get f***ed..."
WTF is your problem? All I said was if I were to run a cycle of any PS/PH, I would make sure that I had ALL OF MY PCT lined up PRIOR, especially MORESO IF I WAS ON A SHIP in the MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN where mail could be INCONSISTENT.

Perhaps your reading comprehension skills are what landed you in the military in the first place...

X

TheDrive

Awards
Okay...the hostility...maybe not such a good thing right now. I've just been stuck out here for a few days shy of 7 months. It really screws with you head. When I get back after long stints like this I can't sleep for the first 3 or 4 nights, there's no constant hum of gas turbines, I have to sleep with the TV on. I get nauseas from NOT moving with the motion of the waves. It blows...LOL

Yeah, I'll be in port for the next 2 months or so... I'll be fine with the Nolvadex once I do actually start the cycle...

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'll be in port for the next 2 months or so... I'll be fine with the Nolvadex once I do actually start the cycle...
I did not see that you would be in port for 2 months while 'on' and into PCT. I just thought that your initial Nolva dosing was a little low, and it would have sucked for you to run out and have to wait 2 weeks for more to show up due to you being in a situation that most of us are not in, all the while you were either 1) growing tits 2) still shut down

X

TheDrive

Awards
Reaper:

What's this CASEIN protein I see on Optimum Nutrition's website?
What is a decent price that you normally pay, I see $30 for 2 lbs (of egg)...

I gotta roll guys... Reaper, good talking to you bud...
Xodus, sorry man...I get a little edgy afte a while. No hard feelings, I gotta roll...

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Reaper:

What's this CASEIN protein I see on Optimum Nutrition's website?
What is a decent price that you normally pay, I see $30 for 2 lbs (of egg)...

I gotta roll guys... Reaper, good talking to you bud...
Xodus, sorry man...I get a little edgy afte a while. No hard feelings, I gotta roll...
No worries.

Check trueprotein.com Egg White Protein is $10.79/lb and Whole Egg Protein is $9.99/lb

Casein is good whey! It digests slowly, so its not a great PWO shake, but it is very good for your Pre-Bed Shake. Casein is what is in Cottage Cheese (curds & whey) The curds are the casein protein.

X

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established

reaper have you ever ran an oral compound before?

but pulsing is a rather good idea to lesson the side effects yet make the cycle still worth while. however i would still make sure i had more SERM available. as far as your whey goes, have u tried lactose free whey isolate? i have the same problem and sh!t a storm when i use regular whey but whey isolate has fixed the problem.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
schmidt-

I tried generic superdrol once last year Jan '06. I did it for 4 days and threw away the bottle. At the time I was still fairly new into bodybuilding and I was not sure what the compound was. It was given to me by a friend and the side effects from it were very harsh....yes I started running it immediately at 30mg....stupid i know..like I said last I was still fairly new into bodybuilding and I was not sure exactly what it was. I'm glad I tossed it and I'm not doing orals/ps/ph/gear ever again.

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
schmidt-

I tried generic superdrol once last year Jan '06. I did it for 4 days and threw away the bottle. At the time I was still fairly new into bodybuilding and I was not sure what the compound was. It was given to me by a friend and the side effects from it were very harsh....yes I started running it immediately at 30mg....stupid i know..like I said last I was still fairly new into bodybuilding and I was not sure exactly what it was. I'm glad I tossed it and I'm not doing orals/ps/ph/gear ever again.
stupid, yes
but it happens. my only wonder was where your knowledge was coming from cuz i was under the impression you have never used. so i was curious. superdrol if you get the original is really not all that harsh it is like most steroids hard on the lipid profiles, but that is expected. other than that most sides i have ever noted was aggression. bloodwork always clean. pulsing tho, is a very good idea with anything doctors pulse patients all the time so no harm is done other than reducing sides.

dhuge67

dhuge67

Awards
  • Established
I would take a hefty dose of Nolva with that Soy shake...jk, but that's how dangerous I think soy is.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I technically ingested a total of 120mg those 4 days of a superdrol clone before I stopped. It made me really sick around the 3rd day, but I decided to just try it a 4th till I got sick again. I didn't know the original was different than the clones. I was under the impression that it was exactly the same thing as AX put out. anyways, since then I've had 2 work annual physicals with bloodwork that came out alright so my assumption was that it was one of those 'live and learn' type deals. At any rate, if people want to use that kind of stuff that is a personal decision, but I'm not willing to play that game so that's my take on it.

TheDrive

Awards
Ahhh...I see, no Casein for me then. I'm gonna get myself some Egg protein. From what I gather in all of this conversation, it's hard to say if soy is actually evil or not... Do I want to gamble with it anymore...? Definitely not.

Yes I have tried the "Lactose Free" "Whey Isolate"... Gut rot... for me at least. I'm not really sure why if it actually is lactose free like they say.

I'm still pretty unsure whether I want to take it ED or pulse it...
If I pulse it, I may not even need PCT but I'll have the 30 tabs/10mg Nolvadex anyway. If I take it ED I'll need more Nolvadex. Still hard to say. I've got about a month before I go on cycle. Like I mentioned before, I'll keep a log and let everyone know whats going on...