Does blending oats in shake make it more glycemic?

lk9932

Awards
I have begun making my own Gainer shake using a recipe from this site, and for the 1st time I tried putting in oats. As many times as I've tried, I can never seem to tolerate the taste of eating oatmeal, so I expected the shake to be awful...but it was really good!

I blended the oats in my Vitamixer briefly until it was like a powder, and then added the milk, whey protein, peanut butter, banana, glutamine/creatine, and ice cubes. I hardly noticed the oats at all, but since the Vitamixer pulverizes the oats, won't it be processed in the body more like a simple sugar? Maybe my logic is wrong?

-Thanks

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I agree logically it makes sense but in reality no.

I will let the smart guys here at AM explain why.

CROWLER

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If i remember correctly the answer is no. Although I think I remember the reasoning i'll dig up the post explaining why in a bit. If i'm wrong i'll just delete this reply later and act like it never happened :)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, it does not technically raise the GI or the GL of the CHO itself. It is only going to speed up gastric uptake and absorption because the oat is already broken down somewhat.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
No, it does not technically raise the GI or the GL of the CHO itself. It is only going to speed up gastric uptake and absorption because the oat is already broken down somewhat.
(interested because I blend my oats, as well - though not to powder)

I'm confused... if it moves through the stomach and into the digestive tract quicker, wouldn't that mean the chains of glucose would be broken down quicker, ending up in the bloodstream quicker?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As I said, the gastric uptake is increased which may lead to a higher spike of insulin due to a higher rate of CHO being digested at once, but that does not raise the inherent GI of Oats itself.

Significant processing can raise GI, but not blending them. For example, large rolled oats do not have a lower GI than fine grain rolled oats, the CHO within is still broken down at the same rate.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a thread on here..I think it's stickied in the Nutrition Forum.

lk9932

Awards
Thanks for the info so far...I have heard that gainer shakes made from real food like the one we are discussing are better than the Gainers on the market for bulking up. Do you agree, and if so, what is the basic reason that they are superior?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info so far...I have heard that gainer shakes made from real food like the one we are discussing are better than the Gainers on the market for bulking up. Do you agree, and if so, what is the basic reason that they are superior?
Yes I agree because you are getting micro nutrients in addition to the macros when you make shakes from whole food. Whey isolate + dextrose is a good example of empty calories.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Oats glycemic effect isn't increased by a reduction in particle size, which typically raises the glycemic effect of other starch foods. The most logical explanation for this is that oats have a built-in viscosity factor that counteracts any increase in surface area. In other words, oats are unique because they get all gummy and sludge their way down your GI tract like a glacier providing a steady and lower glycemic/insulinemic effect, whereas other grain species don't have as much capacity for "gumming up" after being blended or broken down.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I'll just take this info as correct for now (wrt blending not affecting oats insulin response). Good thing, too... the feel of unblended oats in my mouth, ESPECIALLY directly after a hard workout, makes me want to puke my guts up... and I have.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oats glycemic effect isn't increased by a reduction in particle size, which typically raises the glycemic effect of other starch foods. The most logical explanation for this is that oats have a built-in viscosity factor that counteracts any increase in surface area. In other words, oats are unique because they get all gummy and sludge their way down your GI tract like a glacier providing a steady and lower glycemic/insulinemic effect, whereas other grain species don't have as much capacity for "gumming up" after being blended or broken down.
Yeah, that's totally what I was alluding to.

:gas:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Particle size of wheat, maize, and oat test meals: effects on plasma glucose and insulin responses and on the rate of starch digestion in vitro.

Heaton KW, Marcus SN, Emmett PM, Bolton CH.

University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK.

When normal volunteers ate isocaloric wheat-based meals, their plasma insulin responses (peak concentration and area under curve) increased stepwise: whole grains less than cracked grains less than coarse flour less than fine flour. Insulin responses were also greater with fine maizemeal than with whole or cracked maize grains but were similar with whole groats, rolled oats, and fine oatmeal. The peak-to-nadir swing of plasma glucose was greater with wheat flour than with cracked or whole grains. In vitro starch hydrolysis by pancreatic amylase was faster with decreasing particle size with all three cereals. Correlation with the in vivo data was imperfect. Oat-based meals evoked smaller glucose and insulin responses than wheat- or maize-based meals. Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats. The increased insulin response to finely ground flour may be relevant to the etiology of diseases associated with hyperinsulinemia and to the management of diabetes.

You bunch of lazy gurus :D

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
No..if we were really lazy we would have just answered, "Ask Bobo, heeee knows every-ting!"

So when I grind my oats, should I try to make them feel more comfortable first? Give them a few drinks, talk about their likes and dislikes? Also, what sorts of music is best for grinding with oats? Personally, I prefer a racey salsa to any of that rap stuff.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Particle size of wheat, maize, and oat test meals: effects on plasma glucose and insulin responses and on the rate of starch digestion in vitro.

Heaton KW, Marcus SN, Emmett PM, Bolton CH.

University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK.

When normal volunteers ate isocaloric wheat-based meals, their plasma insulin responses (peak concentration and area under curve) increased stepwise: whole grains less than cracked grains less than coarse flour less than fine flour. Insulin responses were also greater with fine maizemeal than with whole or cracked maize grains but were similar with whole groats, rolled oats, and fine oatmeal. The peak-to-nadir swing of plasma glucose was greater with wheat flour than with cracked or whole grains. In vitro starch hydrolysis by pancreatic amylase was faster with decreasing particle size with all three cereals. Correlation with the in vivo data was imperfect. Oat-based meals evoked smaller glucose and insulin responses than wheat- or maize-based meals. Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats. The increased insulin response to finely ground flour may be relevant to the etiology of diseases associated with hyperinsulinemia and to the management of diabetes.

You bunch of lazy gurus :D
Good Info ;) , I was always under the belief that grinding up oats raised the GI level. You live, you learn.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, I was lazy because I was looking for the last thread I remember Bobo posting this in which is what I was referencing in my original reply :)

mitch911

Awards
Does this mean its not a big deal between quick oats large flaked or rolled oats if one is preferred over the other in regards to insulin spikes.

lk9932

Awards
Great stuff guys...it's good to know. Just finished a shake with oats. Unlike the commercial gainers which I used to let sit until the bubbles rose out, I drink this one quickly with a straw before the oats settle to the bottom. Thanks again

Ribo68

Ribo68

Awards
There's just something about the thought of an "oatie" glacier
carving it's way through my bowels that warms my heart.:)