smoker

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys..I'm a smoker. I've been smoking regularly for I guess about six years. Is there any of you guys out there that have quit. I've tried a few times and it just won't stick for some reason. I guess the main reason is that I drink. I'm sure most of you know that drinking makes it hard to quit. I think it's the fact that the desire to quit is not strong enough. The only reason I want to quit is because I know that it's not healthy, you know? I know my body can manage because I've quit for weeks and one time a month. But I always end up buying a pack (mostly when I'm drinking). I guess the main question is...is there anyone else out there that had the same problem? What has been the main motivation for the ex-smokers out there?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to be healthy more than I wanted to smoke.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
spend a couple days with someone that is dyeing from lung cancer its a sad way to go

Beige

Awards
  • Established
Everytime I think about smoking again I think of how my Grandpa and my Grandma (new years day) went; lung cancer. The way that I quit though was completely cold turkey (don't waste your time and money on patches and gum), and I stayed in the gym. Just stay away from smokers for a while if you can, and make your physique goals the priority.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
I used the pills and patch for a month. I had quit for like a month and a half or so at this point. The thing is...I keep in my mind I suppose that people die no matter what. Cancer, or heart attack, or diabetes or something is usually the way people go. All the people I've seen that have died from lung cancer were like 80. That's above the life expectancy so I think that plays a role in the back of my mind. I would like to live a long life but it just doesn't seem like I would want to live even 80 years judging by how I've seen even non-smokers live towards that point. I think if I knew something else it would help me. Does smoking hurt bodybuilding somehow? I really appreciate you guys replying.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
my grandfather was 68 mind still sharp as a tack its still a long process. Ill take a heart attack anyday. After I seen him in his last week is when i quit. What sticks out in my mind was him saying it all happened so fast. Refering to his life.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
It might not be lung cancer that gets you... It might be heart disease. Imagine not being able to do anything but sit with an oxygen mask on, and watch tv. What a life.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. That is all a lot of help and I appreciate it. I think I'm ready to try again. Hopefully for good this time.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things ive ever had to do. Patches worked for me. Without them, I would still be smoking. Dont go for the ones that you leave on all night unless you want to become more addicted to nicotine than what you were before and you want nightmares and vivid dreams all night. Im not sure if they even sell the 24hr ones anymore.

The trick for me was to realize that you will mess up from time to time, but just keep getting back on the horse and eventually you will just get jack of it and just stop. Also as Beige said, hit the gym and even do somthing cardio like boxing or kickboxing so you can feel the benefits of being fit again. Best of luck and you can definately do it. Dont listen to other people's negative comments becuase I copped it for years trying to quit and now I am smoke free and they are still hooked.:head:

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I'm still trying to quit chewing. It's fvcking hell!

That video definitely helps though...

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I smoked for years. It wasnt so much that drinking made it harder for me to quit, it was being in the bar atmosphere that made it harder.

I quit a couple of times, and once actually started back because I was drinking. Im definately not the type person that can smoke one or two when drinking - I either dont smoke or Im smoking a pack a day.

My biggest problem, and it seems like some of yours as well, is that I didnt want to quit. I knew I needed to quit for my health, but I liked to smoke. Everytime I quit because I knew I needed to, I wound up starting back.

It took me actually wanting to quit; and I'll lie to no one, its not easy. To this day I crave them sometimes; actually crave them more now than when I first quit.

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
my dad said it was easy to quit, he quit cold turkey one day and hasnt had one since.

just said he didnt want to do it anymore, i have alot of respect for him for that, my mom still smokes (they are split up) every damn day, and watching her cough her head off from it is really upsetting.

alot of people think "well, everyones gonna go sometime", thats true, but why make it sooner? do you really have nothing to live for? or nothing you would want to extend your life as long as possible for?

and when people say "you can die from smoking" it makes it seem like you just die from it, and that it, but that isnt the way it always works, and you can be in alot of pain, and go through alot of stuff before you die.

but you said that you smoke when you drink....theres an easy way to stop smoking, lol.

i can see how it can be really hard to quit, espiecally when at most jobs ive had, we get a break and about 80% of the people were working with are outside smoking, lol.

you have to want to quit, my dad just stopped, but my mom cant go more than a couple hours (if that) without a cigarette.

dependency is a son of a ***** though.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
my dad said it was easy to quit, he quit cold turkey one day and hasnt had one since.

just said he didnt want to do it anymore, i have alot of respect for him for that, my mom still smokes (they are split up) every damn day, and watching her cough her head off from it is really upsetting.

alot of people think "well, everyones gonna go sometime", thats true, but why make it sooner? do you really have nothing to live for? or nothing you would want to extend your life as long as possible for?

and when people say "you can die from smoking" it makes it seem like you just die from it, and that it, but that isnt the way it always works, and you can be in alot of pain, and go through alot of stuff before you die.

but you said that you smoke when you drink....theres an easy way to stop smoking, lol.

i can see how it can be really hard to quit, espiecally when at most jobs ive had, we get a break and about 80% of the people were working with are outside smoking, lol.

you have to want to quit, my dad just stopped, but my mom cant go more than a couple hours (if that) without a cigarette.

dependency is a son of a ***** though.
I think the important point there is your dad wanted to quit. Thats what it took for me was wanting to. The first couple of times I quit, I quit because I knew I needed to. The last time I quit, I quit because I actually wanted to.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
The gum helps a lot. Patch makes you feel better IMO, but gum is good because you can chew it any time you like.

colindep

colindep

Awards
  • Established
The gum helps a lot. Patch makes you feel better IMO, but gum is good because you can chew it any time you like.
These provide the placebo effect, but I've used them with limited success. I have the same problem resisting smoking when I drink, so I quit drinking and smoking for four months and went out for the hockey game a couple of weeks ago, had a few beers and before you know it I'm smoking again. I spoke to my doctor a few days ago about this association I have between beer and smoking and he recommended zyban to break the association. Maybe give that a shot. Good Luck!

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
These provide the placebo effect, but I've used them with limited success. I have the same problem resisting smoking when I drink, so I quit drinking and smoking for four months and went out for the hockey game a couple of weeks ago, had a few beers and before you know it I'm smoking again. I spoke to my doctor a few days ago about this association I have between beer and smoking and he recommended zyban to break the association. Maybe give that a shot. Good Luck!
Yeah I tried zyban. I actually did zyban and the patch. It was actually pretty good. It just makes you not feel like having a cigarette. And you can still smoke when you take it (unlike the patch). So you just have fewer and fewer. Also, for some reason it makes the cigarettes taste like @$$. But you're not supposed to drink on it because it's fairly liver toxic. So I was on that for like a month...no smoking...then right when I could have a beer...CIGARETTE! As SNS8778 said it's all about wanting to quit. My body is not dependent on cigarettes really. I CAN quit. It's just that I only know I need to. It's not that I want to. I enjoy smoking..and it doesn't really make me sick or anything. The only problem with it is that after a night of getting trashed and smoking two packs. I know I could quit drinking and that would help. And I DO quit drinking sometimes...but I guess I just don't WANT to quit. I know my life will be miserable when I'm in my forties or fifties if I continue. I don't know. I just need something to make me want to quit. Sorry this is so long. And thank you to everyone who's participated in this thread. I appreciate all the help. And it really is help.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I just need something to make me want to quit. QUOTE]

Understandable. What it took for me is bad allergies but also I got strep throat last year and throat swelled so bad I couldnt breathe. Had to go to the ER. I was like, damn, if I keep smoking, it may be like that all the time. That was my incentive.

live4fitness

live4fitness

Awards
Chantix. I quit ~2.5 months ago. I was like you did it because didn't want to suffer later. I loved to smoke. But anyway it helped me not think about it, loose the taste, and I didn't like the gum with it. I didn't even have the hand to mouth thing either. I highly recommend it. Worth every penny :)

Good luck-

One last thing not a big drinker but I did have to stay away from my smoking friends for a while still every now and then have to remind myself what I want when i am around them.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Here's how I did it:

I was determined to quit no matter how long it took. I started changing the times I smoked, so instead of having a smoke after I ate, I would have one beforehand. Next I started cutting out certain cigarettes - I managed to get down to 4 per day without feeling deprived. After 6 months of smoking only 4 per day (except when drinking, which is pretty rare for me), I started to consider an "exit strategy" if you will. Knowing that I couldn't quit and still have smokes in my possession and also knowing that with them costing $8CDN per pack I couldn't just throw them away, I decided I would have to quit on a day when I'd finished my last smoke for the day and my pack was empty.

One of the things I found that made it hard for me was the finality of quiting forever, which puts a lot of extra pressure on you at a time when you don't need it. So on the fateful day that I decided I wasn't going to smoke anymore, I said to myself that I would "avoid" smoking the next day. After 3 days of avoiding smoking, I no longer had any cravings and at that point I said "I quit" and vowed to never have another cigarette. I have been smoke-free since June 2, 2004.

papa G

Awards
Hey guys, At one point when I was in the army I was smoking a pack a day and dipping a can of copenhagen snuff a day easily! Hell, at times while in the field or deployed I would have a dip of snuff under my lip while smoking a marlboro red! I am proud to say that it has now been seven years since I have had any nicotine! (except for second hand)

I decided to quit smoking and dipping after I got out of the army! Despite my habits while in the army, it never hurt my running and PT performance! When I got out I got fat and out of breath easily after only a few months. After realizing that I was going to ****, I decided to quit smoking, dipping etc and started lifting seriously.

It was never hard for me to quit nicotine despite my habit! I just think I traded one habit for another lol!! I honestly believe that lifting, supplements and martial arts permanentaly replaced nicotine for me! I think if some of the heavy smokers took up a positive alternative and maybe weened down at the same time they would be OK!!

HDeuce7

HDeuce7

Awards
I smoked for 10 years and recently quit 4 months ago. It was hard as hell, but I woke up one morning and decided I didn't want to smoke anymore. It gets easier as time goes on, but I still get big urges every now and then. I just don't let myself buy any cigarettes. There are prescription drugs out there that can help and one of them is called Chantix. It has been on the market for almost a year and has amazing results. I know five people that have used it and are still not smoking. But the only way you can truly quit is by making up your mind that you whole heartedly want to stop smoking. That is what helped me. Good Luck!

Big Swole

Awards
Smoking

Smoking restricts blood vessles... Restricted blood vessles causes lack of oxygen and nutrients to reach desired muscle groups. Smoking will reduce your pump.