Smokers and Supplements

jxn

Awards
I have been lifting pretty intensely for about a year now and use several supplements at any given time. I'm also a smoker--about 10-15 cigarettes per day on average. Before anyone says it, yes, I know it's a terrible habit that I need to give up. My question, though, is regarding supplements that may interact with whatever bad chemicals are in the tobacco.

I quit using multis with beta carotene because of studies showing it could drastically increase the risk of lung cancer. I have also heard that using testosterone could also be a risk for smokers, although I can't find the studies or source of information I got this from. Are there certain supplements, such as prohormones for example, that should be avoided if you smoke?

**I couldn't post the links on beta carotene, but if you google "smoking and beta carotene", a lot of studies will show up.**

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I know you don't want to hear this, but coming from an ex smoker, you should try your best to quit. It is the hardest thing I've ever done. I still crave sometimes, and probably will forever. I will tell you aside from the "not dying" aspect(lol right?) I have noticed an improvement in the gym in both aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

I know it didn't answer your question the way you wanted, but if you truly are worried about health that is the best option. Cigarettes are horrible enough alone.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Too bad for you that tobacco companies get to put whatever the F chemicals they want into their product and don't have to tell you. Therefore, it's really impossible for you to know all the possible interactions. Seriously you should roll your own if you must and remove all doubt.

Hope you get around to quitting. I did and it was a real bitch. Good luck!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i used to smoke and during that time i my gym gains were minimal. once i stopped they shot up