Question about calories

deuce747

deuce747

Awards
I have noticed when doing my diet plan that the calories on the side of the box don't match up with the macro nutrients. For example the calories on the side of my cereal read 100 calories per serving however there is 3 g of Fat, 14g Carbs, and 10g of Protein. When you calculate that out (10cal for fat, 4 for protein and carbs) you come out with 126 calories per serving. By the end of the day i had a difference of 300+ calories and I'm confused about which one to go with. Thanks for the help!

\_JIMBO_/

\_JIMBO_/

Awards
Some sugar alcohols have around 2 calories or so instead of 4 per carb

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you are getting a large difference like that look at the carb breakdown on the box. Fibre is often counted in the carb totals since it is usually in the form of cellulose; however humans cant digest it. Try subtracting the grams of fibre grams out of your equation and see if it balances better.

Last edited:
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For example the calories on the side of my cereal read 100 calories per serving however there is 3 g of Fat, 14g Carbs, and 10g of Protein. When you calculate that out (10cal for fat, 4 for protein and carbs) you come out with 126 calories per serving. By the end of the day i had a difference of 300+ calories and I'm confused about which one to go with. Thanks for the help!
Fat=9 cals not 10