Votes: 5 5.4%
  • F*ck it take them whenever I damn well please

Votes: 8 8.7%

• Total voters

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ok so there are alot of new pre-workout supps out there (chaos, no-xplode,superpump250, V12, CVM, etc.....) that all say to take on an empty stomach 45-60 minutes before workout. I want to start on one of these but I usually take my pre-workout meal an hour before workouts that consist of30 gr.carbs/ 50gr. proetin/ 5gr. fat. So what do all u guys do for your pre-workout meal with these supps.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
"Empty Stomach" has to be defined. True empty stomach (technically called postabsorptive state) is upon waking in the morning. Beyond that, there's a continuum of fed versus fasted. I think it's optimal to be in the mid-absorptive phase of a meal during training. That means training should begin 60-90 minutes after a large meal (if it's legs or ab training, then up to 2 hrs or so if you're prone to upchucking). If it's something more quickly digested like a small meal or shake, then within 30 minutes preworkout is tolerable for most. There's also nothing wrong with sipping a prot/carb shake throughout pre, during, & postworkout, especially if you train longer than 90 minutes. The superior benefits of absorbing prot & carbs during training instead of training fasted are well documented.

^^With all that said, I personally can't reconcile the idea of going into a training bout on an empty stomach just so I can take X Y or Z supplement.

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
(chaos, no-xplode,superpump250, V12, CVM, etc.....)
I only have only tried CVM out of the products listed above, but the label says a serving 30 min pre workout, and another 8-12 hrs later preferably 30 min prior to a meal, and on off days 2 serv prior to meals.So for the first serving a fasted state is not required.
I eat lunch (my largest meal) at 11:30 take pre workout supps at 12:30 then hit the gym at 1pm. If you are taking a supp like "POWERFULL" that calls for a fasted state for servings then Alan's strategy with the shake during workout sounds like a great idea.
My workouts suffer bigtime without the meal 90 min pre/wo.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
eat a meal 1 hour before. PreW supps 30 minutes before. POW shake 5-10 minutes after and larger meal 1 hour after.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I only have only tried CVM out of the products listed above, but the label says a serving 30 min pre workout, and another 8-12 hrs later preferably 30 min prior to a meal, and on off days 2 serv prior to meals.So for the first serving a fasted state is not required.
I eat lunch (my largest meal) at 11:30 take pre workout supps at 12:30 then hit the gym at 1pm. If you are taking a supp like "POWERFULL" that calls for a fasted state for servings then Alan's strategy with the shake during workout sounds like a great idea.
My workouts suffer bigtime without the meal 90 min pre/wo.

How did the CVM work out for ya?

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
How did the CVM work out for ya
?
Good product, but i discontinued use because it has Glycocymine in it, I do like the SNS E2 matrix caps though.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Meal is 1 hr. for me and 30 minutes for my creatine

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i drink my blended oats and whey shake while walking to the gym about 15 minutes before i start training

i think people get way too specific with this stuff

i've taking it 1 hour, 1.5 hours, half an hour, and 10 minutes before each for long enough periods of time to tell you there is no noticible difference

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
My last meal is 3 hours before, I can only lift on a almost empty stomach. I have BCAA immediately before, sometimes with carbs [typically honey] and it has never been better. Works for me...

bigstabile

bigstabile

Awards
  • Established
I have a normal meal of like a tuna sandy, pasta and fruit about 3 hours pre, then about an hour pre I have oats and whey then on my way to the gym I have bcaa, lycine, aakg, taurine, tyrosine, glucogalactone, caffine and cee.

(((A^T^R)))

(((A^T^R)))

Banned
Awards
"Empty Stomach" has to be defined. True empty stomach (technically called postabsorptive state) is upon waking in the morning. Beyond that, there's a continuum of fed versus fasted. I think it's optimal to be in the mid-absorptive phase of a meal during training. That means training should begin 60-90 minutes after a large meal (if it's legs or ab training, then up to 2 hrs or so if you're prone to upchucking). If it's something more quickly digested like a small meal or shake, then within 30 minutes preworkout is tolerable for most. There's also nothing wrong with sipping a prot/carb shake throughout pre, during, & postworkout, especially if you train longer than 90 minutes. The superior benefits of absorbing prot & carbs during training instead of training fasted are well documented.

^^With all that said, I personally can't reconcile the idea of going into a training bout on an empty stomach just so I can take X Y or Z supplement.
Please listen to this guy..he know his sh*T 100x over, and pump products are ghey as sh*t and serve no functional purpose besides being that douche bag in front of the mirror dedicating a day to bi's and forearms all while the guy in the rack squatting 405 is preceding you in life and lifting.

sullyx44

sullyx44

Awards
7oz Chicken and 1.5 Cups Brown Rice @ 2:00P.M. Then at 4:00 start drinking Shock Therapy while I get out of my work clothes. As soon as I'm dressed for the gym I head out and by the time I finish my warm up sets. I'm feeling great!

livebono

livebono

Awards
I'm with you on the empty stomach thing, I dont like to feel hungry or worn down while I'm lifting. So I'd rather take my no-explode, superpump, or whatever the case may be with a little bit of food still hanging around than wait until my stomach is empty. I've tried it like that, and I never feel like i have a good workout

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i drink blended oats and whey anywhere from 15min-1hr prior to w/o...just depends on how I feel after I drink it along with the day of the week and of course what body part what i am training...with legs I have to wait it out

marshbomb

marshbomb

Awards
  • Established
I used to drink a shake immediately before working out but then I read an article that said that right before or during is the worst thing you can do because your body needs to be focusing on other things such as shuttling blood to your muscles while working out and not on digesting food. What I started doing now is eating lunch at noon, drinking a whey shake with a little bit of carbs about 1.5 hours before workout(about 3 PM), taking pre workout supps about 30 mins before workout(4 PM) and then free form aminos such as Leucine, Taurine, Glutamine immediately before workout, during would be great also. Then post workout lots of quick acting carbs and another whey shake with more free form aminos and creatine. I have found this to be very effective and recovery is phenomenel.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Meal 2-3 hours before
Shake 2 hours after meal
Pre-Workout 15-20 min before

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established

:clap2: :cheers:

djglow05

djglow05

Awards
7oz Chicken and 1.5 Cups Brown Rice @ 2:00P.M. Then at 4:00 start drinking Shock Therapy while I get out of my work clothes. As soon as I'm dressed for the gym I head out and by the time I finish my warm up sets. I'm feeling great!
I am jealous of youre structured schedule! workin to better mine. i eat about an 1.5 before lift and, n.o. about 25min before.