Soy Sauce Healthier Than Vitamin C

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Soy Sauce Healthier Than Vitamin C

June 4, 2006 9:50 a.m. EST

Megan Shannon - All Headline News Staff Writer

Singapore (AHN) - Researchers found dark soy sauce is 10 times more effective than red wine and 150 times more potent than Vitamin C at slowing signs of aging.

Antioxidants found in red wine, fruits and vegetables not only help protect against human cell damage but also help prevent aliments like Parkinson's Disease, cancer and heart disease.

The National University of Singapore research also showed that soy sauce improves blood flow.

"There's a preventative aspect, showing that it may potentially slow down the rate of cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases," said Barry Halliwell, research team leader and professor.

Halliwell said too much soy sauce should not be consumed because of it's high salt content.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wonder if you would get the same results with lowered sodium soy sauce?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Do we know if there are any dosage recommendations? In order to compare soy sause against the others, quantity would need to be considered.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
That's all the detail I have. I'm guessing that they simply measured the ORAC count in soy sauce.

Last edited:
Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All I know is that Egg roll friday will be now three days a week because i'm eating for health now!!

:) I really wish I could intake the foods that provide all this support but it's so damned hard to keep that variation stocked in numbers that don't allow them to go back by the time you can get back to putting it into your diet. that and the costs too.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Here's another take on the same report:

Dark soya sauce stops cell damage: study

AAP

06-05-06

Dark soya sauce, widely used in Asian cooking, may prove to be more effective than red wine and vitamin C in combating human cell damage, researchers in Singapore say.

Scientists have found that the sauce - derived from fermented soya beans - contains antioxidant properties about 10 times more effective than red wine and 150 times more potent than vitamin C, Singapore's Strait Times reported on Saturday.

Antioxidants - found in fruits and vegetables, as well as red wine - counter the effects of free radicals, unstable atoms which attack human cells and tissues.

Free radicals have been linked to the ageing process as well as a range of ailments including Parkinson's disease, cancer and heart disease.

The National University of Singapore study also found that the sauce improved blood flow by as much as 50 per cent in the hours after consumption.

"There's a preventative aspect, showing that it may potentially slow down the rate of cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases," research team leader Professor Barry Halliwell said.

But he cautioned against taking large amounts of dark soya sauce because of its high salt content, which could lead to high blood pressure

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
That is pretty cool although I try to stay away from Soy due to the INCREDIBLE amount of Na+

HDLowrider

Awards
Been taking care of myself and didn;t even know it. :) I love soy sauce. Probably go through about a quart a month. I use it straight up on rice and many other foods and it makes a killer marinade for beef and chicken when mixed with ginger and sesseme seeds.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That would never enter my body, its all sodium, YUCK!

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to go to chinese buffet, but now I have an excuse for all that fat and full of sodium foods! Add soya sauce, you'll feel better:thumbsup:

size

Awards
  • Established
Does authentic soy suace have a lower sodiumn content? Or do all soy sauces rely heavily on sodium?