Eat every two hours is bull**** correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Eat every two hours is bull**** correct?

Eating every two hours I donít really know where this started. Now you got most people thinking they have to eat tiny meals over the course of the day. What kind of bs is that? Why not enjoy your food and eat 3-4 big nice sized meals instead?

2. Personal preference, but I understand where you are coming from.
    •   

3. Yep, no need to eat every 2 hours at all. That said when trying to get 4,000 Cals in it’s sometimes easier over a number of meals.

Nutrient timing and frequency is nothing in the bigger context of total calories (and macro split to a lesser degree).

Nothing wrong with eating every two hours if that’s what you prefer, just don’t be doing it because of a misguided believe it’s beneficial.

4. Don't think there's any difference in how often you eat but I prefer 6 meals a day while bulking it's just easier to get the cals in. When I'm cutting i usually just eat 4. Problem is when you get used to eating so often you feel hungry all the time, miss a meal and your stomach lets ya know.

5. I canít foresee any real benefit to eating smaller meals. Itís all about calories in and calories out
    Instagram @TheSwoleNurse - www.YouTube.com/TheSwoleNurse
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by CompeteNPC View Post
    Eating every two hours I donít really know where this started. Now you got most people thinking they have to eat tiny meals over the course of the day. What kind of bs is that? Why not enjoy your food and eat 3-4 big nice sized meals instead?
    If youíre trying to compete, itís a must.

7. Maybe a lifter with diabetes I understand, but I'm with you. I do the 3 meals a day and enjoy them!

8. Quote Originally Posted by CompeteNPC View Post
    Eating every two hours I don’t really know where this started. Now you got most people thinking they have to eat tiny meals over the course of the day. What kind of bs is that? Why not enjoy your food and eat 3-4 big nice sized meals instead?
    Nautilus was who started that practice back when they started selling protein powder. Basically information put out to drive the marketing of their protein powders. Has been proven that people actually tend to stay leaner eating 3-4 meals a day, and have increased protein synthesis due to actually having some lower points in protein levels in the blood throughout the day. It takes a noticeable increase to cause synthesis, but it nitrogen levels are always high you do not get the same stimulation.

However as far as caloric balance, and metabolism go the number of meals a day has nothing to do with it. However in general it works like this. If you eat 200 grams of protein, 200g of carbs, and 100g of fats in a day it does not matter how you break it up the TEF, or Thermic Effect of Food is going to be the same for that 24 hours. The TEF does not change based on frequency, only on consumption and the need to digest.

As an example and these are not correct numbers, I am not going to look them up so just as an example.

If we decided that the TEF for protein was 25%, (not actual TEF of protein by the way) but works for the example. Then that would mean every gram of protein provided only 3 calories since the 4rth was burned to digest it. So multiply that by 200 and you get 600 calories. Now according to the "frequent meals speed up the metabolism people" somehow having 6 meals increases metabolism. It does not, you would still only get 600 calories out of it even if you had 20 meals that day. The body does not have to work harder to digest it because it is spread out farther. That isn't how it works.

Does not matter how much you break it up, the TEF does not change so it can not increase the metabolism further.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

9. Quote Originally Posted by jdwaca View Post
    If youíre trying to compete, itís a must.
    If you're competing you most likely have everything else dialled in but for the average gym goer there's usually other things they could be doing to maximise their results that are more important than nutrient timing.

10. Quote Originally Posted by jdwaca View Post
    If you’re trying to compete, it’s a must.
    Not even close to being true. People prep on Intermittent fasting all of the time, same with Carb Night, and Carb Back loading. Sorry but this is just incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    If you're competing you most likely have everything else dialled in but for the average gym goer there's usually other things they could be doing to maximise their results that are more important than nutrient timing.
    If competing and not using some sort of nutrient timing then you are choosing to leave about 5% on the table... that is ridiculous for any person competing not to use every advantage they can. However you can definitely use nutrient timing with even down to 1 meal. Timing has nothing to do with frequency when it comes to a 24 hr period.

Timing = I have one meal to eat a day. I am going to put it after my training where I can make the most out of it. or I eat 6 meals a day but I want my biggest meal with the most carbs to be my intra and post workout nutrition.

Frequency = How often you eat.
    Current Training Log -

11. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Not even close to being true. People prep on Intermittent fasting all of the time, same with Carb Night, and Carb Back loading. Sorry but this is just incorrect.

If competing and not using some sort of nutrient timing then you are choosing to leave about 5% on the table... that is ridiculous for any person competing not to use every advantage they can. However you can definitely use nutrient timing with even down to 1 meal. Timing has nothing to do with frequency when it comes to a 24 hr period.

Timing = I have one meal to eat a day. I am going to put it after my training where I can make the most out of it. or I eat 6 meals a day but I want my biggest meal with the most carbs to be my intra and post workout nutrition.

Frequency = How often you eat.
    Youíre incorrect. Find me a SUCCESSFUL competitor that eats less than 5 times a day. Results speak for themselves. While SOME of what you said is correct, it does not apply to all individuals. Some of what you said is actually wrong though. If you want to get into it, iíll be happy to school you. I have a masters degree in food science, and currently work as a medical nutrition therapist. So pack your bags. Iím ready when you are.

12. Quote Originally Posted by jdwaca View Post
    You’re incorrect. Find me a SUCCESSFUL competitor that eats less than 5 times a day. Results speak for themselves. While SOME of what you said is correct, it does not apply to all individuals. Some of what you said is actually wrong though. If you want to get into it, i’ll be happy to school you. I have a masters degree in food science, and currently work as a medical nutrition therapist. So pack your bags. I’m ready when you are.
    Name:  0614A101-9EC0-4EC1-9996-59267F30CC83.png
Views: 185
Size:  124.3 KB

13. Quote Originally Posted by jdwaca View Post
    Youíre incorrect. Find me a SUCCESSFUL competitor that eats less than 5 times a day. Results speak for themselves. While SOME of what you said is correct, it does not apply to all individuals. Some of what you said is actually wrong though. If you want to get into it, iíll be happy to school you. I have a masters degree in food science, and currently work as a medical nutrition therapist. So pack your bags. Iím ready when you are.
    And there is the problem with telling people they are wrong just because the latest study said so. Don't worry next year they'll be saying IF wastes away muscle and you need to eat every half hour lol

14. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    And there is the problem with telling people they are wrong just because the latest study said so. Don't worry next year they'll be saying IF wastes away muscle and you need to eat every half hour lol
    LATEST study!??? There are studies dating back to the 80ís on this subject. And the results have been consistent to date. References upon request.

15. Quote Originally Posted by jdwaca View Post
    LATEST study!??? There are studies dating back to the 80ís on this subject. And the results have been consistent to date. References upon request.
    I think everyone's on this "I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want" train because of a recent study that showed GH levels were doubled by IF and the rise of the IIFYM diets. To me they're just trying to appeal to people's laziness.

I don't think it's a MUST to eat every few hours but I'm sure it matters if you wanna maximise your results. Eating enough calories, macro breakdown, training properly, limiting alcohol, sleep and managing stress all matter more and most are lacking in at least one of these areas making meal frequency unimportant.

16. Quote Originally Posted by jdwaca View Post
    You’re incorrect. Find me a SUCCESSFUL competitor that eats less than 5 times a day. Results speak for themselves. While SOME of what you said is correct, it does not apply to all individuals. Some of what you said is actually wrong though. If you want to get into it, i’ll be happy to school you. I have a masters degree in food science, and currently work as a medical nutrition therapist. So pack your bags. I’m ready when you are.
    Oh so now we are changing things to find me a "Successful" competitor... which is pretty relative. If a person has placed in a local competition that makes them successful if that was there goal...

Do I have a list of professionals, no but I have seen enough who are competitive against those they competed against and know there are others who have won and places in shows. Also you are the one making absolute statements that it is a must, so the burden of proof is on you, not me. I said you were incorrect and all I have to do to prove so is to find 1 person that has ever competed that did intermittent fasting to do so. If there is 1 that has competed then it is indeed not a must...

How about instead of intentionally being condescending you just "school" me on where you think I am wrong and why you are right first... maybe we can all learn something other than that you think very highly of yourself... Also, I know that there are not many nutritional theories or practices that apply to everyone. Again I'm not the one stating absolutes, you did, I simply stated that you are wrong that it was not an absolute that you MUST eat high frequency to compete.

You could have just said what you had to say instead of that ridiculous condescending posturing... If you had a decent point I would have simply tipped my hat to you and thanked you for the information. So go ahead and school me and hopefully it will be worth the build up that the use of the phrase "schooling me" implies.
    Current Training Log -

17. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Oh so now we are changing things to find me a "Successful" competitor... which is pretty relative. If a person has placed in a local competition that makes them successful if that was there goal...

Do I have a list of professionals, no but I have seen enough who are competitive against those they competed against and know there are others who have won and places in shows. Also you are the one making absolute statements that it is a must, so the burden of proof is on you, not me. I said you were incorrect and all I have to do to prove so is to find 1 person that has ever competed that did intermittent fasting to do so. If there is 1 that has competed then it is indeed not a must...

How about instead of intentionally being condescending you just "school" me on where you think I am wrong and why you are right first... maybe we can all learn something other than that you think very highly of yourself... Also, I know that there are not many nutritional theories or practices that apply to everyone. Again I'm not the one stating absolutes, you did, I simply stated that you are wrong that it was not an absolute that you MUST eat high frequency to compete.

You could have just said what you had to say instead of that ridiculous condescending posturing... If you had a decent point I would have simply tipped my hat to you and thanked you for the information. So go ahead and school me and hopefully it will be worth the build up that the use of the phrase "schooling me" implies.
    Iíd love to. After meal #3. Lol. To be continued.

18. Quote Originally Posted by jdwaca View Post
    I’d love to. After meal #3. Lol. To be continued.
    You know you don't really need a 3rd meal...

I kid, I kid. Poking the bear so to speak.

Honestly waiting, I know a good bit, so if you can teach me something new then it will be awesome. I do truly hope you have something I have not already been made aware of to share with us. I have been researching nutrition for years, no degrees or anything, but research and am also a certified nutrition coach so I know more than average but would expect you to know some stuff I don't with your degrees.
    Current Training Log -

19. Oh this is the first link to pop up when I googled physique competitors that use Intermittent Fasting to prep for shows.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/11/lea...-ifbb-pro.html
    Current Training Log -

20. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    You know you don't really need a 3rd meal...

I kid, I kid. Poking the bear so to speak.

Honestly waiting, I know a good bit, so if you can teach me something new then it will be awesome. I do truly hope you have something I have not already been made aware of to share with us. I have been researching nutrition for years, no degrees or anything, but research and am also a certified nutrition coach so I know more than average but would expect you to know some stuff I don't with your degrees.
    Oh, man. I have never seen someone so gracefully take the high road after being treated so rudely. We could all learn from Kleen's example here. You're a man of great character!
    "They say the meek will inherit the Earth,
    But the ground theyíve left us is barren cold."

21. Quote Originally Posted by Martyfnemec View Post
    Oh, man. I have never seen someone so gracefully take the high road after being treated so rudely. We could all learn from Kleen's example here. You're a man of great character!
    It would be easy, and was easy for me to write up some blistering responses here but that would be about me being butt hurt that he was being condescending toward me. So I deleted and reworded things a few times to a reasonable response. I have to say that I am proud of myself because when I am "on" I typically do not have the self control to remain silent, and or diplomatic. So I am taking this as a win for me personally in that regard.

As for the other reasons, he has the credentials, and obviously some knowledge. If I let the pissing match continue instead of asking what it is he thinks I have wrong then I am choosing to pass up on a possible learning opportunity. I would rather learn than be too proud to open myself up to the possibility there may be a better way I am unaware of or at least a piece of information that I can then figure out where it fits in my puzzle.
    Current Training Log -

22. Quote Originally Posted by jdwaca View Post

So if I eat like Ronnie Coleman Ill have the same build?. Genetics are what make successful athletes. I used to eat every few hours but now I use If. Real world results won't show a diffrence.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong20 View Post
    So if I eat like Ronnie Coleman Ill have the same build?. Genetics are what make successful athletes. I used to eat every few hours but now I use If. Real world results won't show a diffrence.
    I actually saw a video where they reported the results of a muscle biopsy for genetics that Ronnie Coleman did at the Olympia. They found the he had extremely high markers for a lot of things that basically made it impossible for him not to grow so long as he stimulated the muscle and fed himself. For instance he had 3 of the 4 top things that have to do with carbohydrate processing, and it made it so that he could eat unreal amounts of carbs without getting fat, or losing insulin sensitivity. He also had very high markers for something that made it extremely hard for him to actually damage his muscles. So he was not digging as deep of a hole with training because he was physically harder to break down. It is really pretty interesting.

It is on the guy Jerry from Primeval Labs youtube if you want to hear the specifics, but it was very interesting. Basically he had all the genetic markers to be the perfect bodybuilder and they proved it. Pretty cool!
    Current Training Log -

24. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    It would be easy, and was easy for me to write up some blistering responses here but that would be about me being butt hurt that he was being condescending toward me. So I deleted and reworded things a few times to a reasonable response. I have to say that I am proud of myself because when I am "on" I typically do not have the self control to remain silent, and or diplomatic. So I am taking this as a win for me personally in that regard.

As for the other reasons, he has the credentials, and obviously some knowledge. If I let the pissing match continue instead of asking what it is he thinks I have wrong then I am choosing to pass up on a possible learning opportunity. I would rather learn than be too proud to open myself up to the possibility there may be a better way I am unaware of or at least a piece of information that I can then figure out where it fits in my puzzle.
    This is an excellent approach to the situation and I commend it. I hope to instill some of it into my own actions.

25. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen
    As much as I admire the humility don't ever self denigrate and roll to patronizing condescension.

Any ******* can buy an education. As I get older and learn more of what's most important [bigger piece of puzzle] in life I start to value the substance of character I can display and or observe in others far greater than the value of knowledge I can gleen when engaging others at any level on any matter.
    I have no enemies. My friends intensely despise me.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Why clean eating is bull****.
    By LovingtoLift in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-18-2016, 02:25 PM
  2. Eat every 2 hours?
    By JS424 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 09:58 AM
  3. Reach your GH peak two hours after eating gelatine pudding
    By MAxximal in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 09:58 AM
  4. Real World Situation: Eating Every 3 Hours...?
    By Insidious1 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 11:03 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 05:43 PM