Carbs carbs carbs...

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
Whether you're an experienced bodybuilder or its your first week in the gym, you have been told "eat white rice" or "eat brown rice to cut" but when it comes to rice alone, not even all carbs in general why does it seem white and brown rice reign supreme? Surely I would imagine black rice would be at the top of any bodybuilders 'rice list' not just due to the low glycemic aspect but that it contains the same antioxidants as blueberries and blackberries, is considered a super food and has been shown to detoxify the liver. Any thoughts on why this source of carb is barely spoken of? And what are some of your other favorite carb sources I'm looking to switch up a bit from my black rice and sweet potatoes

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hrm I may have to give black rice a try. I've never tried it before.

I've honestly given up trying to eat brown or white rice at certain times. I don't eat brown rice at all anymore. From all of the data I've read, brown rice yields fewer nutrients than white rice because of an anti-nutrient substance in the shell (I think, or something like this). A number of foods have this mechanism going on. I believe eating raw eggs has a similar effect, not all of the nutrients will be available.

I stay away from lentils as well as a lot of grains personally, except for white rice. But this black rice...Now I have something to research hehe

My main carb sources are white rice, sprouted grains (when eating grains) such as in Ezekial bread, and carb powder (MST's Infinit-e is the one I use), but sometimes I eat candy pre/post workout.

Edit: I tend not to worry myself too much with glycemic index because I consume the majority of my carbs around my workouts, or will carb-backload, which is basically eating carbs post workout since I only train in the evening.

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
I can't do brown rice, my body just doesn't digest it whatsoever. Ezekiel bread is great though! What are your feelings on quinoa? And for carb powders have you ever tried 5% nutrition real food? Hands down most favorable carb powder Ive used and prep friendly. But I love the black rice taste and texture is different definitely worth a shot imo

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've only tried black rice in a sushi preparation, but wasn't at all impressed. It had an odd consistency.

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
I've only tried black rice in a sushi preparation, but wasn't at all impressed. It had an odd consistency.
Depends how its cooked and for how long, to me the longer its cooked the better the texture is but the shorter its cooked the more prominent the nutty flavor is

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can't do brown rice, my body just doesn't digest it whatsoever. Ezekiel bread is great though! What are your feelings on quinoa? And for carb powders have you ever tried 5% nutrition real food? Hands down most favorable carb powder Ive used and prep friendly. But I love the black rice taste and texture is different definitely worth a shot imo
I like quinoa, I just don't really cook much so I keep things basic. I should probably change this. I used to love to cook then I moved to NYC and started ordering a lot more often.

Have you see this oreo rice? I'm intrigued lol

[video=youtube;uRiMyynnOBc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRiMyynnOBc[/video]

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
OK, now that I would totally eat lol

JudoJosh

JudoJosh