[Question]about diet and work out.

alext0413

Awards
hi guys, if you're not in the mood of reading story please jump to the end of paragraph.

Just a few weeks ago I started work out and exercise to retrieve my fitness and build a real figure.I used to have some small pack of abs (although they are small but the fitness is there), am not sure how but what I did was intense ball sport from morning to evening 6 day a week plus minimum intake of fried or oily food, neither do I had any carbonated drink.
After leaving house for college, **** happened and my body and fitness swallowed itself day by day.
Ok let's cut the story telling.

As mentioned workout started few weeks ago, it is a 3 or 4 sessions per week HIIT(1 set 8 round of 20 sec with 10 sec rest in between of each round, I do one set of cardio and one set of abs every session), one day gap in between.
As the plan started I cut off oily, fried food, chips, fries straight away, and eat according to 50%protein 20%fat 30%carbs, which I started to consume fat+sugar free yoghurt, low gi glut free muesli, skim milk, boiled skinless chicken breast, and potato for complex carbs, and drink a lot more of water. Nothing changes at the end of first week; end of second week total weight increase, body fat decrease, muscle mass increase, BMR/DCI increase, same goes to 3rd week onwards(all changed in a slight scale). However half way through only I discovered that my diet actually falls to 50%carbs 20%fat 30%protein, and there is still outcome.
here is my latest body reading for a 20years 165cm asian:
body weight 65.5
muscle mass 50
body fat% 19.4
DCI/BMR 1534

I believe this whole workout is what people called cutting phase.

Questions are:
when do I end the cutting phase and start building muscle and packs(I really want to throw away the belly but it is so stubborn) ?

what is the correct diet/nutrition at different stages (including my current stage) ?

what should be consumed before or after work out for the best result ?

is the workout suitable for cutting phase or at any stage ?

Mattabolic

Mattabolic

Awards
  • Established
1st thing wana commend you for wanting to start cutting its a tough task the lower Bf% you get at so keep working hard. You wana track find your maintenance cals and drop carbs by like 20 and take off a few fats but keep protein higher especially when cutting u wana preserve that lean muscle mass, so keep it at a g per body weight. IMO only do hiit a max of 2-3 times a week at atleast150-200 cals a session and don't eat those back! don't wana burn off muscle as great as hiit is you can lose lean muscle doing a ton of hiit, whats your lifting like and what kind of routine are you doing? Make sure you are consistent with tracking and weighing your food. That all just depends on how low of bf% u wana get to and if u wana do a show etc.... Id get down to about 8-10 bf and then slowly reverse diet and let the bulk begin!

alext0413

Awards
1st thing wana commend you for wanting to start cutting its a tough task the lower Bf% you get at so keep working hard. You wana track find your maintenance cals and drop carbs by like 20 and take off a few fats but keep protein higher especially when cutting u wana preserve that lean muscle mass, so keep it at a g per body weight. IMO only do hiit a max of 2-3 times a week at atleast150-200 cals a session and don't eat those back! don't wana burn off muscle as great as hiit is you can lose lean muscle doing a ton of hiit, whats your lifting like and what kind of routine are you doing? Make sure you are consistent with tracking and weighing your food. That all just depends on how low of bf% u wana get to and if u wana do a show etc.... Id get down to about 8-10 bf and then slowly reverse diet and let the bulk begin!
hey there thanks for replying !
yes I know my maintenance cal is 2000 and the 50% protein should weigh 100g. so you are saying that I should keep carbs at 20% and reduce fat intake ?
my cardios set included jump squats, planks, high knees, burpees ;abs set included air bike, roman twist, spiderman plank, side plank, sit up (any four of them each time).
Alright so I will reduce hiit session and add in a focused training session let say leg or shoulder.

Mattabolic

Mattabolic

Awards
  • Established
Fats and proteins should always be higher so yea 20% yea for carbs as far as hiit do it on a treadmill or some form of machine u wana be able to actually track how many cals you are actually burning and do 2 times a week of atleast 150 cals if possible 200 and do not eat those cals back until you lose a good 5-10lbs then start eating them back. Add more resistance training legs 2x a week back 2x a week chest 2x a week at a 6-8 rep range for you main lifts.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Matt's right about HIIT. HIIT will burn BF like crazy, but you have to SLEEP and feed yourself to support the lean mass. other suggestions:

HIIT Ideas
Sprints 30 second hard sprint/30 second rest, 10 reps
you can do this running or on a bike

Jump rope. Same principle. maybe 1 minute on, 30 seconds off. 8-10 sets.

Tabata
(can be a combo of the squats, burpees, pullups, pushups since you're already doing a lot of that).

Spin bike;
Same principle as sprints but lower impact on joints.

For LISS, I prefer either walking on incline, or 30 minutes on a spin bike. Excessive cardio will have a negative impact.

For nutrition, to support output of energy but also preserve muscle mass; I like to intake carbs pre-workout, and drink BCAA and Protein Intraworkout.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
As far as cutting vs bulking, I have always preferred cutting first, then a LEAN bulk. There's no reason to be fat to be strong. OR, consider mini cycles. Cut down to where you want to be in terms of BF, then cycle in a 2-4 week mini bulk, followed by a 2 week mini cut and see how your body responds.

alext0413

Awards
As far as cutting vs bulking, I have always preferred cutting first, then a LEAN bulk. There's no reason to be fat to be strong. OR, consider mini cycles. Cut down to where you want to be in terms of BF, then cycle in a 2-4 week mini bulk, followed by a 2 week mini cut and see how your body responds.
thanks mate, added new things in my next grocer list and gonna start the program then see how it goes

alext0413

Awards
so guys I have a plan starting from next Monday onwards as trial, if it works I will complete the 2nd week as well. I will have 6days of workout in a week, my menu will only have all kind of lean meat, fish, minimal amount of vege, skimmed milk, fat free yoghurt, egg white powder, and metamucil(still thinking which type should I go for to prevent my really bad constipation problem).
do I need to consume some other supplement like whey protein, calcium, or bcaa ??

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you're backwards. If you are looking to cut you should have less dairy and more veggies and maintain a high level of good protein. Try to get your protein as much as possible from real foods like eggs, fish, red meats, chicken, etc. the only time you should take protein powder really should be during your workout. BCAA's pre or intraworkout are also a good idea. if you're constipated on a "minimal vegetable" diet then i'm not surprised.

alext0413

Awards
you're backwards. If you are looking to cut you should have less dairy and more veggies and maintain a high level of good protein. Try to get your protein as much as possible from real foods like eggs, fish, red meats, chicken, etc. the only time you should take protein powder really should be during your workout. BCAA's pre or intraworkout are also a good idea. if you're constipated on a "minimal vegetable" diet then i'm not surprised.
yep just came back from grocer, grabbed some cos lettuce, spinach, 97% fat free ham, salmon, lean beef, chicken breast, eggs and metamucil.
isn't egg white powder made out of real egg ?
for bcaa I found this brand scivation xtend at ratio of 2:1:1, what do you reckon for bcaa ?