my doctor told me not to drink protein shakes??!

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Please post a complete list of what you are taking. I am saying a complete list including your daily diet....
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by liftandeat View Post
    WTF are you guys talking about bulking too fast? I have never heard of someone saying that. Don't worry about your BP your young it will fix itself. Are you guys just saying he is gaining more fat instead of muscle? Even if he is who cares you can always cut fat later and he will learn next time.
    bulking you're probably eating more and saltier foods. You're also probably hitting the gym harder and have higher adrenaline levels. Fat is also probably increased when bulking. that's what I'm talking bout.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.03%

....and whats the problem with telling a 17 yo pre-hypertensive(According to JNC 7) male to lay off the protein shakes and focus on diet?

Seriously...saying a doctor knows nothing because he/she says to get off protein shakes is a bit of a stretch, and if anything enforcing a culture that relies on supplements rather then basics.

At 17 you make gains like clockwork. You dont need supplements at 17...you need to learn your body, learn how it reacts to different foods, macro splits, meal timing, etc. Focus on the basics...basics build champions.
    Olympus Labs Rep - check us out at Olympus-Labs.com
    DISCLAIMER: Anything that I post on this forum should not be taken as medical advice. Consult your doctor before new diets, supplements, training protocols, or if you have any concerns abotu yoru health.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.24%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GoHardOrGoHme View Post
    ....and whats the problem with telling a 17 yo pre-hypertensive(According to JNC 7) male to lay off the protein shakes and focus on diet?

Seriously...saying a doctor knows nothing because he/she says to get off protein shakes is a bit of a stretch, and if anything enforcing a culture that relies on supplements rather then basics.

At 17 you make gains like clockwork. You dont need supplements at 17...you need to learn your body, learn how it reacts to different foods, macro splits, meal timing, etc. Focus on the basics...basics build champions.
    Whey protein is not a supplement. It's food. Creatine is already in steak. Should not cause issues. Beta alanine is also Natural and very studied.

Things I would avoid is pre workouts, pump products, fat burners, ara*inflammation effect could cause damage in theory* any sort of weight gainers, and any supplements with no tropics

Things I would consider useless at that age : fish oil. WHY? if you have plenty of fats *.3 to .5 per lb* you'll be fine. Plus...eating fish like shrimp with steak or pasta with shrimp, or tuna sandwiches, tuna salad, Mahi Mahi grilled with lemon pepper is something that should be a staple. Cheap, something your parents can easily cook, and plenty of fish oil.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.9%

Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
    Whey protein is not a supplement. It's food. Creatine is already in steak. Should not cause issues. Beta alanine is also Natural and very studied.

Things I would avoid is pre workouts, pump products, fat burners, ara*inflammation effect could cause damage in theory* any sort of weight gainers, and any supplements with no tropics

Things I would consider useless at that age : fish oil. WHY? if you have plenty of fats *.3 to .5 per lb* you'll be fine. Plus...eating fish like shrimp with steak or pasta with shrimp, or tuna sandwiches, tuna salad, Mahi Mahi grilled with lemon pepper is something that should be a staple. Cheap, something your parents can easily cook, and plenty of fish oil.
    The only thing is that you are saying this as if you know what his diet is. I asked him to post his daily diet, without that everyone is shooting in the dark.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.8%

Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    Please post a complete list of what you are taking. I am saying a complete list including your daily diet....
    Ok, like on friday i ate, 2 servings of corn flakes for breakfast(at home),and after i got to school 2 pop tarts and orange juice(for breakfast too), for lunch i ate 1 subway sandwich,10 oz of milk and for dinner i ate chicken but idk how to measure how much i ate,like how many oz. But i ate until i got full and ate like 3 slices of bread. I dont put salt on my food bcuz i know its bad for my health. Also i take 3 whey protein shakes a day,10 grams of creatine,7 grams of arginine and 7 of glutamine right after my workout
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.8%

Also im taking glucosamine because i had a car accident last.year and everytime i squat too heavy my right knee hurts because of it and the pain goes away if i take glucosamine daily.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.03%

I would have to politely disagree.

Whey protein is and always has been a food supplement. A supplement is something you add to your normal dietary intake in the efforts of achieving a given goal more efficiently. Whey protein is one of the older supplements, but by no means would I consider it comparable to chicken, beef, fish, eggs, etc. It's a food supplement and has its place in fitness and nutrition, but it is still a supplement.

To say it's a food is to say you can substitute whey protein for chicken, eggs, fish, beef, etc as the main protein source for your daily requirements. For example...I can trade chicken for fish for my daily protein intake, this is fine. I will not replace my chicken for a protein shake. I can add it to my meal of chicken, broccoli, and brown rice but I will not take out the chicken and just add an extra scoop of whey.

And though you properly pointed out creatine is already found in beef...it is one constituent of beef. Thats why creatine is a supplement...you a adding/supplementing to what you would normally take in with a healthy diet. By no means could you replace beef for creatine.

Another thing to note, what is safe for one is not safe for another. For example...it is safe for individual A to add a little salt to his fries....individual B suffering from primary hypertension it is NOT ok from him to add salt to his fries. Or how about this...Individual A has full renal function can safely drink 3 protein shakes a day while individual B is suffering from idiopathic renal insufficiency...it is NOT ok for this individual to drink 3 protein shakes a day.

FYI kidneys can play a significant role in hypertension...hypertension is by no means a pure cardiac issue.

The best person who can declare what is safe for any given individual is either a physician or some other health professional, contrary to the tone of this thread, non-medical professionals should not declare what is safe and what is not safe for specific individuals. This is a very dangerous practice.
    DISCLAIMER: Anything that I post on this forum should not be taken as medical advice. Consult your doctor before new diets, supplements, training protocols, or if you have any concerns abotu yoru health.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.8%

And yea i take fish oil too guys.lol
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.8%

What do you guys think about the supplements i take?? Also i stopped taking creatine and i wont take it in the next 3 months to see if my bp goes down
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.03%

This is your diet:

Meal 1: 2 servings of cornflakes (probably in milk)
    Meal 2(probably 10-60 minutes later): poptarts and orange juice
    Meal 3: A subway sandwhich with 10 oz of milk
    Meal 4: Chicken until full with 3 slices of bread

Supplements: 3 whey shakes a day...creatine, arginine and glutamine

You really need to work on this diet before you even consider supplements. Learn how to count macronutrients and calories. Learn about the glycemic index, learn about meal timing, learn and learn some more. Drop the supplements for now and work on your diet.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.8%

Quote Originally Posted by GoHardOrGoHme View Post
    This is your diet:

Meal 1: 2 servings of cornflakes (probably in milk)
    Meal 2(probably 10-60 minutes later): poptarts and orange juice
    Meal 3: A subway sandwhich with 10 oz of milk
    Meal 4: Chicken until full with 3 slices of bread

Supplements: 3 whey shakes a day...creatine, arginine and glutamine

You really need to work on this diet before you even consider supplements. Learn how to count macronutrients and calories. Learn about the glycemic index, learn about meal timing, learn and learn some more. Drop the supplements for now and work on your diet.
    But thats not why i have high blood pressure is it?
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.03%

Quote Originally Posted by Markos4 View Post

To be honest it would be irresponsible of me to declare or even postulate WHY YOU are prehypertensive. There are a plethora of factors to take into account. In some cases diet and lifestyle does play a role, other cases it is symptomatic of an underlying condition, other cases it's genetic. I do not know why you're blood pressure is a bit on the high side, so it's best to listen to your doctor for now. This will allow you to focus on optimizing your diet.

What I can say is that you are relying way too much on protein shakes to meet your protein requirements, and your diet can improve.
  14. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.72%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Instead of asking these questions to the boards you might want to just try getting a few other opinions from different primary care doctors, endocrinologists, etc. In your situation you will not find much worthwhile help here.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.9%

No one should give any medical advice unless they are a medical doctor; however, if it were ME, I would stop taking every supplement right now and focus on clean eating. After about 7 days, I would go back and get my blood pressure checked by my doctor. If your blood pressure is normal, you can postulate that it was due to one of your supplements. However, again, if it were me, I would have to go back and start each supplement one by one (say week to week) until i found the one that pushed my blood pressure up.

I say this because I have had to do this before under a doctors watch. It took a very long time to complete but I found out what it was that way.

There are other internet boards out there that do have doctors(not people in med school or just out of med school but veteran doctors) that discuss issues however, not many are going to just speculate without seeing you first but they will typical say "the average person" xyz.
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.3%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

How do you know it's supplement related? You could just have high pb naturally, it isn't uncommon. Things such as salt and stimulants increase bp.

Honestly why worry about it? You're 17 and in shape you're fine.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.29%

First off your docs advice isn't terrible. Second your diet is awful, and third no on on internet forum is going to be able to tell you why your bp is high.
    The Swole Stoner
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.8%

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    First off your docs advice isn't terrible. Second your diet is awful, and third no on on internet forum is going to be able to tell you why your bp is high.
    Ive been looking for good meal plans on the internet but most of them only tell you to eat red meat and stuff lkke that but dont tell you how much or when , they just tell you to eat a bunch of stuff and thats it thats why i prefer supplements.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.29%

So what your saying is that your just lazy.
    The Swole Stoner
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.9%

I'm mot sure where you are looking but there are a plethora of websites that give out great diet plans for the average lifter. You basically have to learn how to search the engines and swim through the ocean of debris.

If you want to eat very clean just search for healthy high calorie meals. For instance, you can choose to eat 16 oz of ribs or 32 oz of fish. You can choose two big macs per day or two chicken breast, brown rice and a protein shake.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.11%

Love it!
    Go to a doctor and get told not to take creatine and reduce proteinshake intake. Disagree.
    Go on forum to state that it cannot be right and hope ppl to agree with you.
    They don't.

Still continue.

Next time when in doubt just get a book about the subject and ignore that.
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.79%
    Achievements Posting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

Learning how to eat correctly is a challenge but is necessary to getting stronger. There is a lifter here on AM that is considered a nutritional guru of sorts. His name is Snagency2.0. Here is a link to one of his logs in which he lays out his meals and it gives great examples: Snag gets FINAFLEXed on Road to Nationals

Take the time and read through it. I think it will give you all the nutritional help you need.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.8%

Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    I'm mot sure where you are looking but there are a plethora of websites that give out great diet plans for the average lifter. You basically have to learn how to search the engines and swim through the ocean of debris.

If you want to eat very clean just search for healthy high calorie meals. For instance, you can choose to eat 16 oz of ribs or 32 oz of fish. You can choose two big macs per day or two chicken breast, brown rice and a protein shake.
    Thanks, i really appreciate it
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.8%

Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Learning how to eat correctly is a challenge but is necessary to getting stronger. There is a lifter here on AM that is considered a nutritional guru of sorts. His name is Snagency2.0. Here is a link to one of his logs in which he lays out his meals and it gives great examples: Snag gets FINAFLEXed on Road to Nationals

Take the time and read through it. I think it will give you all the nutritional help you need.
    Thanks bro

Similar Forum Threads

1. What are the best ready to drink protein drinks?
    By chlorella in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 04:00 PM
  2. more reasons NOT to drink milk
    By knox in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 07:34 AM
  3. Will my doctor rat me out?
    By happydog48 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 03:45 PM
  4. why not to drink
    By ICantRunFast in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 11:19 PM
  5. My wife told me I should take steroids.
    By T-Bar in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 11:35 PM