Possible underactive thyroid?

ryan1967

Awards
Hi,

I thought I'd post this on here, as you guys seem pretty knowledgeable about a whole range of health subjects.

I fear I may have an underactive thyroid, as I recently worked out my BMR to be somewhere between 2800 and 3300 calories per day, depending on which method I use to work it out. I work out 5-6 times a week, doing around an hour of resistance training, and 30 minutes of HIIT.

Now, I only eat one meal a day, generally lunch at work, which at most would be around 1000 calories, sometimes much less than this. I also have 2 -3 protein shakes daily, with semi skimmed milk, which again can't be more than 1000 calories a day. With me being at the gym, and working out as I do, I'd imagine I have quite a calorie deficit, but I don't seem to be losing any weight. I am 5"10, and weigh roughly 81 kg. I also suffer from depression, and I need to sleep for around 10 -12 hours a night. (I'm in bed by 9 pm at the latest, and up at around 7 am).

It's not that I'm actually trying to lose weight or anything, it's just that I feel I should be losing weight, if you look at my BMR and the amount of calories that I consume. It got me thinking, but I don't like to bother my doctor, as I have been quite a bit in the past, for various reasons that I won't go into here.

Anyone got any insight into this?

PS - I know I should be eating way more often than what I do, with the training that I do, I just can't seem to find the motivation to eat!

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi,

I thought I'd post this on here, as you guys seem pretty knowledgeable about a whole range of health subjects.

I fear I may have an underactive thyroid, as I recently worked out my BMR to be somewhere between 2800 and 3300 calories per day, depending on which method I use to work it out. I work out 5-6 times a week, doing around an hour of resistance training, and 30 minutes of HIIT.

Now, I only eat one meal a day, generally lunch at work, which at most would be around 1000 calories, sometimes much less than this. I also have 2 -3 protein shakes daily, with semi skimmed milk, which again can't be more than 1000 calories a day. With me being at the gym, and working out as I do, I'd imagine I have quite a calorie deficit, but I don't seem to be losing any weight. I am 5"10, and weigh roughly 81 kg. I also suffer from depression, and I need to sleep for around 10 -12 hours a night. (I'm in bed by 9 pm at the latest, and up at around 7 am).

It's not that I'm actually trying to lose weight or anything, it's just that I feel I should be losing weight, if you look at my BMR and the amount of calories that I consume. It got me thinking, but I don't like to bother my doctor, as I have been quite a bit in the past, for various reasons that I won't go into here.

Anyone got any insight into this?

PS - I know I should be eating way more often than what I do, with the training that I do, I just can't seem to find the motivation to eat!
Go to the doctor. If its a thyroid problem they will give you a 5$ a month fix usually.

AlphaMilitant

AlphaMilitant

Banned
Awards
Iodine depletion can lead to thyroid issues. Usually selenium, boron, and iodine can dictate whether or not your thyroid is functioning correctly

ryan1967

Awards
I used to take selenium as a supplement, more due to it's reported anti aromatase properties than anything else. I stopped taking it when it ran out though, as I never really noticed a difference. Was at the gym tonight, weighed myself, and I've put on 1kg!

I have been running a cycle of Pro-stano, which could explain the weight gain, but something still doesn't seem right to me.

Should I stop the Stano before I try to get my thyroid tested, would this make a difference to the results?

Cheers,

Ryan

ryan1967

Awards
You think I should try an iodine supplement?

Couldn't do any harm, I suppose...

How much would you recommend taking daily?

AlphaMilitant

AlphaMilitant

Banned
Awards
Look into it for sure bro.. ive been reading alot into this lately. I would post some stuff, but I have to get some more post in. Ill send you what I got when I can

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
You think I should try an iodine supplement?

Couldn't do any harm, I suppose...

How much would you recommend taking daily?
Let me get this straight..think you have an under active thyroid. *medical condition*
"**** the doctor lets go to supplements"
This is what makes me give up on people. I'm done. Un Subbed.

ryan1967

Awards
Cheers, appreciate it. Just had a quick look there the now, it seems that over and under dosing can cause thyroid issues, so I think I'd need to get the balance correct!

Although, I have just discovered that milk is fairly high in iodine, and I drink tonnes of the stuff! Maybe I'm getting too much? I always have drank loads of milk though, if anything I've cut down from when I was younger...

I think some experimenting could be in order here.

AlphaMilitant

AlphaMilitant

Banned
Awards
Cheers, appreciate it. Just had a quick look there the now, it seems that over and under dosing can cause thyroid issues, so I think I'd need to get the balance correct!

Although, I have just discovered that milk is fairly high in iodine, and I drink tonnes of the stuff! Maybe I'm getting too much? I always have drank loads of milk though, if anything I've cut down from when I was younger...

I think some experimenting could be in order here.
If you were to take iodine and rub it under your arm, if it disappears before the day is up, more then lilely you are deficient

ryan1967

Awards
Let me get this straight..think you have an under active thyroid. *medical condition*
"**** the doctor lets go to supplements"
This is what makes me give up on people. I'm done. Un Subbed.
It's not like it's affecting my life badly or anything, well, not that I notice anyway. I've been fairly depressed and tired for as long as I can remember. Think I can put up with it a touch longer, to see if that makes a difference. As I said before, I don't like to bother my doctor, as I have done in the past. I'm in the UK, by the way, so it's all national health service over here. Not like he's making any money from my visits...

jon777

Awards
it is HIGHLY unlikely that you are iodine deficient. That is a rare rare cause of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) in developed countries especially considering that most of the table salt we use is iodinized. (In underdeveloped countries this is a different story).

Most causes of hypothyroidisim in the US is due to an autoimmune disorder called hashimotos. Symptoms would include weight GAIN, intolerance to cold, constipation, fatigue, dry skin.

If you are suffering from depression. (Feeling down or depressed most days of the week or loss of interest in things that usually give you enjoyment). Then you need to speak with your physician about antidepressants and some counseling (most efficacious when used together).

If you are still worried about having an underactive thyroid then your dr may do a blood test to check your TSH.

Do not mess around with supplements to fix a medical issue. I mean, that's not even a remotely good idea when there is effective and safer methods. (Replacing thyroid hormone with pharmaceutical quality hormone in a dose dependent manner that will be regulated with check ups and TSH levels)