gluten intolerance, what to eat when bulking?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So in did an experiment. I was having stomach issues and wanted to find out what it was. So for 3 weeks I stopped eating gluten (oats, bread, wheat anything etc) and felt amazing. Then introduce oats back into my diet and BOOM stomach pains, gas , minimal bloat and I felt like ****. So where do I get my carbs from if I can't eat gluten? Brown rice and potatoes ? Any other sources ?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
well u could also do white rice if you like that more than brown. but you have to be careful on which brand because the sprays they use to enrich foods could be corn based

theres gluten free pasta too

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well u could also do white rice if you like that more than brown. but you have to be careful on which brand because the sprays they use to enrich foods could be corn based

theres gluten free pasta too
What about pre workout / morning stuff. I usually lift early and I feel like rice in the morning won't work. I'll stick to the white or brown rice and try to find gluten free pasta. Thanks onion.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
how do you feel about milk? it is gluten free, but idk how you feel about lactose

if thats ok, then you can do gluten free cereals or granola

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
how do you feel about milk? it is gluten free, but idk how you feel about lactose

if thats ok, then you can do gluten free cereals or granola
I can't digest milk, so I buy lactiad milk which has the lactase enzyme in it. Or I can do soy milk with gluten free cereals.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gluten free oats are available (I had some this morning). You can get bagels, English muffins, waffles, pancakes, and a ton of other food items as well. Some stores have multiple aisles of gluten free products.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
I can't digest milk, so I buy lactiad milk which has the lactase enzyme in it. Or I can do soy milk with gluten free cereals.
Have you ever tried taking the capsules that have the lactase enzyme in them? I'm lactose intolerant as well and ever since I started taking them I've never had any issues.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lactaid milk tastes nasty.

Also, I was under the impression that the lactose was removed from it as opposed to the enzyme being added.

My wife uses the lactase pills and drinks regular milk.

Drock1234

Awards
Oats shouldn't do that to you unless you are talking about some processed and flavored oatmeal packets. I am gluten intolerant as well.

Here are my carb sources:

Oats
Rice (white, brown, basmati)
Quinoa
Sweet potatoes
Red potatoes
Beans (black, kidney, baked, etc.)
Corn tortillas
Fruit
Veggies

There are lots of gluten free products- some are good, some aren't. Trial and error to whats available in your area...

I recommend Tinkyada brand brown rice pastas over every other type I've tried

Good luck!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oats shouldn't do that to you unless you are talking about some processed and flavored oatmeal packets. I am gluten intolerant as well.

Here are my carb sources:

Oats
Rice (white, brown, basmati)
Quinoa
Sweet potatoes
Red potatoes
Beans (black, kidney, baked, etc.)
Corn tortillas
Fruit
Veggies

There are lots of gluten free products- some are good, some aren't. Trial and error to whats available in your area...

I recommend Tinkyada brand brown rice pastas over every other type I've tried

Good luck!
Oats have gluten, just picked up some gluten/wheat free ones. I'll go find that brand of rice and pasta tomorrow thanks for the info.

And I had regular rolled oats not instant
Jim I love those lactase pills. Use them all the time.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, and aren't most general mills cereals gluten free now?

Use them for postWO carbs or something.

Wocheezy

Wocheezy

Awards
I'd give almond milk a try if you haven't yet. Not exactly what you're asking but (gluten free) cereal plus almond milk = delicious

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I'd give almond milk a try if you haven't yet. Not exactly what you're asking but (gluten free) cereal plus almond milk = delicious
thats a good idea. almond milk tastes pretty good

Drock1234

Awards
Oats have gluten, just picked up some gluten/wheat free ones. I'll go find that brand of rice and pasta tomorrow thanks for the info.

And I had regular rolled oats not instant
Jim I love those lactase pills. Use them all the time.
Oats don't technically have gluten. If you are celiac you avoid them because oats are sometimes grown in the same crop fields as wheat on a rotational basis. Also, some manufacturing facilities use the same equipment to process both wheat and oats. Therefore, only the extremely allergic would be bothered by oats because of the trace cross contamination.

Trace levels don't effect my intolerance. Like many protein powders are processed in a facility that shares equipment with wheat- but the powder doesn't contain any gluten. What protein powder do you use the most?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about pre workout / morning stuff. I usually lift early and I feel like rice in the morning won't work. I'll stick to the white or brown rice and try to find gluten free pasta. Thanks onion.
Gluten free cookies plus a gluten free protein powder. Throw in some potassium tabs . Just my 2 cents