carbs and sugars

seasoul

Awards
Hi there,
when in the nutritional panel you get something like:

Per serving:
CARBS 100 g
- of sugars 10 g

I thought that all the carbs get broken down into sugars (if not used).
So, when it comes to count my sugar daily intake, I usually broadly count the "carbs" and not just "the sugars in the carbs".
Am I wrong?
Thank you

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Wow your confusing! I think you are asking what portion of carbs do you count when stating the amount of carbs you eat daily. You count them all, to make it easy. Although some Fiber could be deducted.But for your concern count them all.

or you may be wanting to know the amount of sugar you eat.
In that case, not all carbs are equal. Sugar is sugar. Only count the surgar portion. Some carbs burn fast some slow but all are energy. There is complex and simple. Sugar is a simple carb which is broken down and used quickly compare to complex.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Wow your confusing! I think you are asking what portion of carbs do you count when stating the amount of carbs you eat daily. You count them all, to make it easy. Although some Fiber could be deducted.But for your concern count them all.

or you may be wanting to know the amount of sugar you eat.
In that case, not all carbs are equal. Sugar is sugar. Only count the surgar portion. Some carbs burn fast some slow but all are energy. There is complex and simple. Sugar is a simple carb which is broken down and used quickly compare to complex.
Weeeellll sorta. Glucose and fructose are both 'simple' carbs but on opposite ends of the G.I. scale. Glucose = 100 fructose = 20 IIRC so the term simple and complex are largely outdated for this fundamental reason.

OP; it means that of that 100g sugar; 10g of it is sugar based. Dependant on the product, this will depend on which sugar is in the product

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
if it says 100, count 100. The reason people subtract fiber is that they do not have a profound effect on raising blood sugar. But they do have energy (calories)

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Hi there,
when in the nutritional panel you get something like:

Per serving:
CARBS 100 g
- of sugars 10 g

I thought that all the carbs get broken down into sugars (if not used).
So, when it comes to count my sugar daily intake, I usually broadly count the "carbs" and not just "the sugars in the carbs".
Am I wrong?
Thank you
In this case you would count total carbs. A fraction is coming from pure sugar for flavor and the rest is starches which will be broken down by the body into glucose, but when fiber is a part of the total carbohydrates you are supposed to subtract it. This is because the fiber is insoluble and our bodies can't break it down and use it so it simply passes through us. Literally

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Weeeellll sorta. Glucose and fructose are both 'simple' carbs but on opposite ends of the G.I. scale. Glucose = 100 fructose = 20 IIRC so the term simple and complex are largely outdated for this fundamental reason.

OP; it means that of that 100g sugar; 10g of it is sugar based. Dependant on the product, this will depend on which sugar is in the product
You are 100% correct with that. I was trying to keep it very simple for him. I ve noticed if I try to explain too much then the follow ups get crazy because people get confused.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You are 100% correct with that. I was trying to keep it very simple for him. I ve noticed if I try to explain too much then the follow ups get crazy because people get confused.
Oh right, I see. Fair enough :)

seasoul

Awards
Hi thanks for the replies.
Yes, now I am a little bit confused.

In the nutritional panel of this BREAD there are:
- Carbs 100 g
- of which Sugars 10 g
I am not considering fibers, fat etc.

If you do NOT use all the carbs they will be broken down into sugars.
So, in the above example, 90 g will be broken down in sugar (as the other 10 g are already sugar).
My question is: are the sugars coming from the starch (90 g) the same types of the 10 g of pure sugars?

Thanks cheers

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
All sugar is the same in your body and all carbs minus fiber will be broken down into sugar

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Absolutely not true.
wow, that was productive. Instead of offering something worthless like that, and since you seem to have the "correct" information, why don't you enlighten us with your wisdom

bj22

Awards
wow, that was productive. Instead of offering something worthless like that, and since you seem to have the "correct" information, why don't you enlighten us with your wisdom

Search function? Google?
I am not going to waste my time explaining how the body metabolizes different sugars and the subsequent role in body function when there is more than ample information available for those that care about that sort of thing. Go read up before posting answers to inquiries you are unfamiliar with.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Search function? Google?
I am not going to waste my time explaining how the body metabolizes different sugars and the subsequent role in body function when there is more than ample information available for those that care about that sort of thing. Go read up before posting answers to inquiries you are unfamiliar with.
Again, not helpful. Probably just scrap this whole forum since its all on Google. When people write answers like yours and then back it up by saying search the internet, it demonstrates arrogance combined with ignorance. So thanks again for your contribution.

Now as such, although on a molecular and cellular level, there are some differences in, for example, glucose vs fructose metabolism. But in terms of insulin and glucagon, response and fat gain or loss, sugars are converted to glucose then stored in muscle tissue and/or converted to bodyfat.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Again, not helpful. Probably just scrap this whole forum since its all on Google. When people write answers like yours and then back it up by saying search the internet, it demonstrates arrogance combined with ignorance. So thanks again for your contribution.

Now as such, although on a molecular and cellular level, there are some differences in, for example, glucose vs fructose metabolism. But in terms of insulin and glucagon, response and fat gain or loss, sugars are converted to glucose then stored in muscle tissue and/or converted to bodyfat.
In the liver and blood as well or metabolised as energy. The least likely pathway for a carb is to be stored as fat

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Search function? Google?
You can google anything so what would the purpose of a forum be? Google holds very contradictory views as people often re-post only what they have been taught without themselves researching.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
yescarbs get broken down into sugars but not all carbs start off that way

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
solomon-chan Weight Loss 15
Supplements 22
Nutrition / Health 7
cruze1911r1 Nutrition / Health 38
Anabolics 23