The Truth About Wheat...

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Looking for an open discussion on wheat. Seems like a topic often debated and was just seeking opinions. I eat a ton of wheat with breads, pastas, cereals, ect

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I could care less about studies saying its good/bad. Lean meats, whole grains, and healthy fats are a staple of my diet. I was raised on it and I shall continue.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I suggest bringing this up with OrganicShadow + JudoJosh. I bet they would have some very interesting input.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Que¿ me no abla ingles sorry

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend going gluten free for a month.

I'm Eastern European and grew up eating wheat products with every meal of the day. I heard about paleo diet (caveman diet) and did the 30 day challenge and seem energy levels rose, less joint pain, and a lot less bloat. Even if you can handle gluten it is harsh on the lining of your digestive system.

Try a week without gluten and I guarantee you you'll feel the best you have, and have the least amount of bloat. I eat wheat now one day a week if that.

Another benefit is less carbohydrates that you have to worry about turning into body fat.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I read wheat belly. I was also vegetarian from childhood to about age 22. I can agree that wheat is extremely inflammatory, causes insulin resistance, love handles, and diabetes. Plus, eating a bunch of wheat (and btw there is NO difference between white and wheat bread!!!!!) makes people feel like they ate a roll of paper towels: bloated and not satisfied.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
I could care less about studies saying its good/bad. Lean meats, whole grains, and healthy fats are a staple of my diet. I was raised on it and I shall continue.
Bingo. People make nutrition too hard. Whole grains are good. If you notice they upset the GI or make you bloated or lethargic, don't eat them. Eat something else. If not, they supply some good nutrition. I'm not saying eat a whole loaf of 100% whole wheat bread, but if you like it, nothing wrong with it.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
As far as bread is concerned I tend to only eat sprouted wheat bread or ezekiel bread.
For the most part I do the same, although I will eat an occasional whole wheat wrap or whole wheat english muffin if they are in the house.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bingo. People make nutrition too hard. Whole grains are good. If you notice they upset the GI or make you bloated or lethargic, don't eat them. Eat something else. If not, they supply some good nutrition. I'm not saying eat a whole loaf of 100% whole wheat bread, but if you like it, nothing wrong with it.
Whole grain doesn't have any particular meaning and not all grains contain gluten (e.g. rice, buckwheat).

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Whole grain doesn't have any particular meaning and not all grains contain gluten (e.g. rice, buckwheat).
Isnt it just a gimic companies came up with to sell more "healthier" foods.? I believe there isnt much criteria behind what exactly whole grain is defined as

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I thought whole wheat was really the grey area, while whole grain actually had to be the entire grain? I know some whole wheat products are really no different than processed white products

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought whole wheat was really the grey area, while whole grain actually had to be the entire grain? I know some whole wheat products are really no different than processed white products
Well, corn is technically a grain and that **** is dirty.

Also, metabolically, wheat and white have very little difference.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, corn is technically a grain and that **** is delicious
Fixed

You misspelled delicious ;)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
What's there to lose to go grain free for 2 weeks? Only a couple body fat percentages.

I never thought that I had any gluten sensitivity til I went gf and found that I had absolutely no bloat after 1 week.

YOLO, why not try it out.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
What's there to lose to go grain free for 2 weeks? Only a couple body fat percentages.

I never thought that I had any gluten sensitivity til I went gf and found that I had absolutely no bloat after 1 week.

You say you never knew you had an issue until you went gluten free. What prompted you to go gf? Also, what does a typical couple days look like for your diet?

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
after tearing a nerve and being out of the gym for 6 months I focused mainly on dieting and found the paleo diet. And tried it out fora month and seen great results, and never went back

Breakfast: 2 cups Buckwheat(1 scoop of protein powder/ 1 TBS 100% Cocoa/ 1/2 banana/ dash of Cinnamon/ flax seeds/ in almond milk) 1/3 avacado

Snack: Stir fry with either chicken, beef, or lamb.

Pre-workout: Banana w/ cup of blueberries

Post-work out: BCAA, with a spinach,blueberry, protein, almond milk shake.

Dinner. Stir fry veggies with grass fed meat of choice. 1/2 avacado (or scrambled eggs with mixed veggies)

I eat at least 1 usually 2 avacados a day

I have 4-6 bowel movements a day, this is cause there is no gluten in my foods. Gluten slows down digestion for everyone, just some people cant hadle it at all. With all the bowel movements there is no bloat whatsoever. Give it a a try, seriously the only thing your gonna lose is bloat and bf %.

You say you never knew you had an issue until you went gluten free. What prompted you to go gf? Also, what does a typical couple days look like for your diet?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First section is all about gluten and how it effects non-celliac people.

http://jasoncholewa.com/2012/07/22/purple-potato-starch-for-health-and-performance-and-why-we-should-avoid-gluten/

I am working on an updated version to this that will specifically address wheat, the evolution of wheat from an indiginous grass to global grain, and the effects of gluten on human physiology (including PPAR activation and adiposity). That's maybe a month away, but the above first 4-5 paragraphs of that blog should give you an idea of why it might be time to avoid gluten.

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
after tearing a nerve and being out of the gym for 6 months I focused mainly on dieting and found the paleo diet. And tried it out fora month and seen great results, and never went back

Similar story, I went gluten free after I broke my foot. I won't go back. I'm the opposite though: I find my bowels are more regular, compared to before when I had squirts several days a week.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
J Physiol Biochem. 2010 Jun;66(2):153-9. Epub 2010 Jun 1.
Gliadins induce TNFalpha production through cAMP-dependent protein kinase A activation in intestinal cells (Caco-2).

Laparra Llopis JM, Sanz Herranz Y.

Microbial Ecophysiology and Nutrition Group, Instituto de Agroquímica y Tecnología de Alimentos (CSIC), Apartado 73, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain. [email protected]
Abstract

Celiac disease is an autoimmune enteropathy caused by a permanent intolerance to gliadins. In this study the effects of two gliadin-derived peptides (PA2, PQPQLPYPQPQLP and PA9, QLQPFPQPQLPY) on TNFalpha production by intestinal epithelial cells (Caco-2) and whether these effects were related to protein kinase A (PKA) and/or -C (PKC) activities have been evaluated. Caco-2 cell cultures were challenged with several sets of gliadin peptides solutions (0.25 mg/mL), with/without different activators of PKA or PKC, bradykinin (Brdkn) and pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate (PDTC). The gliadin-derived peptides assayed represent the two major immunodominant epitopes of the peptide 33-mer of alpha-gliadin (56-88) (LQLQPFPQPQLPYPQPQLPYPQPQLPYPQ PQPF). Both peptides induced the TNFalpha production triggering the inflammatory cell responses, the PA2 being more effective. The addition of the peptides in the presence of dibutyril cyclic AMP (cAMP), Brdkn or PDTC, inhibited the TNFalpha production. The PKC-activator phorbol 12-myristate 13-diacetate additionally increased the PA2- and PA9-induced TNFalpha production. These results link the gliadin-derived peptides induced TNFalpha production through cAMP-dependent PKA activation, where ion channels controlling calcium influx into cells could play a protective role, and requires NF-kappaB activation.

PMID: 20514534

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

YOLO = you oughta look out?

(Reps to the first person to catch the reference)

TexasGuy

Awards
First section is all about gluten and how it effects non-celliac people.

http://jasoncholewa.com/2012/07/22/purple-potato-starch-for-health-and-performance-and-why-we-should-avoid-gluten/

I am working on an updated version to this that will specifically address wheat, the evolution of wheat from an indiginous grass to global grain, and the effects of gluten on human physiology (including PPAR activation and adiposity). That's maybe a month away, but the above first 4-5 paragraphs of that blog should give you an idea of why it might be time to avoid gluten.

Br
I find your article interesting and full of a variety of information.

It's nice to see a study on gluten in a non-celiac body but I was disappointed to see study subjects suffering from inflammatory bowel disease. Do you know of any studies where gluten ingestion by healthy people has been monitored?

I personally eat gluten containing grains and while I don't notice any drawbacks, if there is a negative biological process taking place in my healthy body I would like to curb it. I just haven't seen the evidence that as a healthy individual gluten is bad for me and would appreciate any links or discussion.

Regards,

TexasGuy.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Currently contemplating the Paleo diet, so this is good schtuff, mang.

EatLiftGrow

Awards

Breakfast: 2 cups Buckwheat(1 scoop of protein powder/ 1 TBS 100% Cocoa/ 1/2 banana/ dash of Cinnamon/ flax seeds/ in almond milk) 1/3 avacado

Snack: Stir fry with either chicken, beef, or lamb.

Pre-workout: Banana w/ cup of blueberries

Post-work out: BCAA, with a spinach,blueberry, protein, almond milk shake.

Dinner. Stir fry veggies with grass fed meat of choice. 1/2 avacado (or scrambled eggs with mixed veggies)

I eat at least 1 usually 2 avacados a day

I have 4-6 bowel movements a day, this is cause there is no gluten in my foods. Gluten slows down digestion for everyone, just some people cant hadle it at all. With all the bowel movements there is no bloat whatsoever. Give it a a try, seriously the only thing your gonna lose is bloat and bf %.
Not to hijack the thread but I eat a fair amount of gluten a day (whole grain breads, begal, and etc.) and still have at least 4 bowel movements a day. Does gluten just not affect my digestion? Do I have a fast or slow metabolism? Or is there possibly and underlying problem?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Excuse me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Paleo diet exclude all carbs outside of fruits and veg? I don't think I would have a problem going gluten-free but I don't think I could give up my milk. Unless milk has gluten lol it's a little confusing what's allowed and what's not

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I find your article interesting and full of a variety of information.

It's nice to see a study on gluten in a non-celiac body but I was dissapointed to see study subjects suffering from inflammatory bowel disease. Do you know of any studies where gluten ingestion by healthy people has been monitored?

I personally eat gluten containing grains and while I don't notice any drawbacks, if there is a negative biological process taking place in my healthy body I would like to curb it. I just haven't seen the evidence that as a healthy individual gluten is bad for me and would appreciate any links or discussion.

Regards,

TexasGuy.
Hard to find things in healthy humans, as a lot of the measures would be invasive.

In mice a gluten-free diet of equal caloric consumption led to (both designed to induce obesity) led to lower fat gain, inflammation, and a greater degree of PPAR activation and insulin sensitivity. And thats in an animal that evolved to eat grains, so its hard to deduce how that might translate to humans.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Excuse me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Paleo diet exclude all carbs outside of fruits and veg? I don't think I would have a problem going gluten-free but I don't think I could give up my milk. Unless milk has gluten lol it's a little confusing what's allowed and what's not
Potatoes are intermittently allowed on Paleo for refeeds. The reason milk isn't Paleo is due to the lactose, high incidence of adult on-set allergy to casein, and the fact that humans are the only animal to continue to consume milk post weening.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The idea of "paleo" is surrounded by dogma and is kinda cultish at times. The only thing that is really avoided by all paleo variations is beans and wheat. Milk, cheess, potatoes, rice etc are kind of grey area and up to the individual.

Check out marksdailyapple.com

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The idea of "paleo" is surrounded by dogma and is kinda cultish at times. The only thing that is really avoided by all paleo variations is beans and wheat. Milk, cheess, potatoes, rice etc are kind of grey area and up to the individual.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
Why beans?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, i should have said "modified paleo"..ie avoiding most grains, most of the time. Beans i will be keeping along with cheese and yoghurt. Leave my cheese alone, or I will hurt someone:)

All "diets" get cultish after awhile. Basically, people keep re-inventing the BBing lifestyle as re-packaging as something new and awesome. There is some newer, interesting data on grains and inflammation so I'd like to go grainless for awhile and see if it resolves my inflammation issues....but I'm not joining a cult unless there are tons of hot chicks who worship me based on my grainlessness.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Beans contain anti-nutrients (phytates and lectins) which steal minerals minerals from the body. Also there is a risk of intestinal damage (http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0000687) plus a likeyhood of altering gut flora which will comprimise overall health. We also see a small connection betwenn lectin consumption and lepitin resistance ( http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6823/5/10)

However if you are really determined to get beans, soaking them overnight has been shown to be helpful in removing the lectin www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09540100220137655 but I say why bother with them. Their nutrient content honestly isn't all that too impressive g for g with other choices.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

This is why I promote more of the Primal approach instead of strict Paleo because, as you said, it gets far too dogmatic and anal.

I personally use whey, but not much casein and/or milk as it does make me bloat. I still love the taste, but I look like I ate a football for the rest of the day.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I didn't think I could drop milk from my diet; considering I used to drink 1.6 litres of milk per day so instead I just swapped it for lactose free;
I didnt think I had bloat before but now I notice a HUGE difference.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really hate the term paleo, especially now that it is also highly associated with crossfit.

The truth is humans living in the upper and lower paleolithic era collected and consumed indigenous grains (including wheat in some areas) and beans. Additionally, early humans derived a good 30-40% of their calories from starch in the form of tubers: starchy roots.

I really prefer the term "minimally processed fresh food"...which by its nature cuts out most grains and processed tubers. Starches and carbohydrates come from fruits, vegetables, and some tubers. In that same nature, you can select your dairy. American cheese is highly processed, while cheddar is minimally. Greek yogurt > regular yogurt, etc. Same with meats, vegetables, on and on.

br

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Thank you, gentlemen. That's kinda what I envision for "paleo". As a biologist, I have a good sense of what our ancestors ate and I've kept that in mind as a baseline when considering our current diet related ills. I'm not going to get too crazy with it, but its good to hear all the great perspectives of those who've already tried or studied these diet modalities.

When I am eating "clean", it pretty much resembles this style of diet. Mostly, its just time to clean up my diet act.

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
Amen brotha.

Couldn't have said it any better

I really hate the term paleo, especially now that it is also highly associated with crossfit.

The truth is humans living in the upper and lower paleolithic era collected and consumed indigenous grains (including wheat in some areas) and beans. Additionally, early humans derived a good 30-40% of their calories from starch in the form of tubers: starchy roots.

I really prefer the term "minimally processed fresh food"...which by its nature cuts out most grains and processed tubers. Starches and carbohydrates come from fruits, vegetables, and some tubers. In that same nature, you can select your dairy. American cheese is highly processed, while cheddar is minimally. Greek yogurt > regular yogurt, etc. Same with meats, vegetables, on and on.

br

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established

br
I thank you sir for you continually dropping knowledge! I wish i had more time to frequent the board and read/study your posts.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I eat food with as few ingredients a possible

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

vassille

Awards
Looking for an open discussion on wheat. Seems like a topic often debated and was just seeking opinions. I eat a ton of wheat with breads, pastas, cereals, ect
Ate wheat for a long time(30+ years) I started to develop stomach problems later in life. I was geting sick more often blood sugar all over the place.
Without wheat, and basically no grains, no stomach problems anymore and I have not been sick since, no cold, no virus no anything for a good 4 years now and im positive i was exposed to them numerous times at work. My body works like a swiss watch now.
and that;s my story

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with many of the posts here related to wheat (in general) as I have experienced the "bads" discussed here.

However, I will add that Ezekial Bread anbd Trader Joes Sprouted Grains bread do NOT affect me the same at all.

Why is this?

Let's face it, at the end of the day, there is only a slight difference between traditional wheat and spouted forms of wheat.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I agree with many of the posts here related to wheat (in general) as I have experienced the "bads" discussed here.

However, I will add that Ezekial Bread anbd Trader Joes Sprouted Grains bread do NOT affect me the same at all.

Why is this?

Let's face it, at the end of the day, there is only a slight difference between traditional wheat and spouted forms of wheat.
Wheat today is significantly genetically modified when compared to wheat from before the agricultural revolution

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ate wheat for a long time(30+ years) I started to develop stomach problems later in life. I was geting sick more often blood sugar all over the place.
Without wheat, and basically no grains, no stomach problems anymore and I have not been sick since, no cold, no virus no anything for a good 4 years now and im positive i was exposed to them numerous times at work. My body works like a swiss watch now.
and that;s my story
Your story is becoming extremely common and helps to further the base of anecdotal support for ditching gluten.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So are you saying Trader Joes Bread and Ezekial Bread were made before the agricultual revolution?

Me thinks it'd be stale by now

:p

Wheat today is significantly genetically modified when compared to wheat from before the agricultural revolution

mbq

mbq

Awards
More info on sprouted wheat... I eat it on a regular basis. I buy wheat grains in order to sprout them at home. Sprouted wheat tastes pretty well.

Vitamin E is stored in the muscles, and, unfortunately, it is rapidly degraded and excreted. Thus, in order to provide the body with this vitamin, you must at all times maintain a balanced diet.

Lack of this vitamin leads to infertility and miscarriages. If children are born, they are backward and have poor immunity.

For those who are interested, I will say that this vitamin in large amounts is found in celery and sprouted wheat.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
More info on sprouted wheat... I eat it on a regular basis. I buy wheat grains in order to sprout them at home. Sprouted wheat tastes pretty well.

Vitamin E is stored in the muscles, and, unfortunately, it is rapidly degraded and excreted. Thus, in order to provide the body with this vitamin, you must at all times maintain a balanced diet.

Lack of this vitamin leads to infertility and miscarriages. If children are born, they are backward and have poor immunity.

For those who are interested, I will say that this vitamin in large amounts is found in celery and sprouted wheat.
Yes on infertility with deficiency.

It is not predominantly stored in the muscles, and being a fat soluble vitamin that is regularly taken up in the plasma membranes, it is not rapidly degraded and excreted.

http://www.fasebj.org/content/13/10/1145.long

Other good sources of vitamin E are nuts/seeds and greens.

Br

Reactions: mbq