The Truth About Wheat...

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Re: The Truth About Wheat...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    Excuse me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Paleo diet exclude all carbs outside of fruits and veg? I don't think I would have a problem going gluten-free but I don't think I could give up my milk. Unless milk has gluten lol it's a little confusing what's allowed and what's not
    The idea of "paleo" is surrounded by dogma and is kinda cultish at times. The only thing that is really avoided by all paleo variations is beans and wheat. Milk, cheess, potatoes, rice etc are kind of grey area and up to the individual.

Check out marksdailyapple.com

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

2. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

The idea of "paleo" is surrounded by dogma and is kinda cultish at times. The only thing that is really avoided by all paleo variations is beans and wheat. Milk, cheess, potatoes, rice etc are kind of grey area and up to the individual.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    Why beans?
    •   

3. Yeah, i should have said "modified paleo"..ie avoiding most grains, most of the time. Beans i will be keeping along with cheese and yoghurt. Leave my cheese alone, or I will hurt someone

All "diets" get cultish after awhile. Basically, people keep re-inventing the BBing lifestyle as re-packaging as something new and awesome. There is some newer, interesting data on grains and inflammation so I'd like to go grainless for awhile and see if it resolves my inflammation issues....but I'm not joining a cult unless there are tons of hot chicks who worship me based on my grainlessness.
  4. Re: The Truth About Wheat...

Beans contain anti-nutrients (phytates and lectins) which steal minerals minerals from the body. Also there is a risk of intestinal damage (http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0000687) plus a likeyhood of altering gut flora which will comprimise overall health. We also see a small connection betwenn lectin consumption and lepitin resistance ( http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6823/5/10)

However if you are really determined to get beans, soaking them overnight has been shown to be helpful in removing the lectin http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...40100220137655 but I say why bother with them. Their nutrient content honestly isn't all that too impressive g for g with other choices.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

5. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
    This is why I promote more of the Primal approach instead of strict Paleo because, as you said, it gets far too dogmatic and anal.

I personally use whey, but not much casein and/or milk as it does make me bloat. I still love the taste, but I look like I ate a football for the rest of the day.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

6. Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    Excuse me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Paleo diet exclude all carbs outside of fruits and veg? I don't think I would have a problem going gluten-free but I don't think I could give up my milk. Unless milk has gluten lol it's a little confusing what's allowed and what's not
    I didn't think I could drop milk from my diet; considering I used to drink 1.6 litres of milk per day so instead I just swapped it for lactose free;
    I didnt think I had bloat before but now I notice a HUGE difference.

7. I really hate the term paleo, especially now that it is also highly associated with crossfit.

The truth is humans living in the upper and lower paleolithic era collected and consumed indigenous grains (including wheat in some areas) and beans. Additionally, early humans derived a good 30-40% of their calories from starch in the form of tubers: starchy roots.

I really prefer the term "minimally processed fresh food"...which by its nature cuts out most grains and processed tubers. Starches and carbohydrates come from fruits, vegetables, and some tubers. In that same nature, you can select your dairy. American cheese is highly processed, while cheddar is minimally. Greek yogurt > regular yogurt, etc. Same with meats, vegetables, on and on.

br

8. Thank you, gentlemen. That's kinda what I envision for "paleo". As a biologist, I have a good sense of what our ancestors ate and I've kept that in mind as a baseline when considering our current diet related ills. I'm not going to get too crazy with it, but its good to hear all the great perspectives of those who've already tried or studied these diet modalities.

When I am eating "clean", it pretty much resembles this style of diet. Mostly, its just time to clean up my diet act.

9. Amen brotha.

Couldn't have said it any better

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I really hate the term paleo, especially now that it is also highly associated with crossfit.

The truth is humans living in the upper and lower paleolithic era collected and consumed indigenous grains (including wheat in some areas) and beans. Additionally, early humans derived a good 30-40% of their calories from starch in the form of tubers: starchy roots.

I really prefer the term "minimally processed fresh food"...which by its nature cuts out most grains and processed tubers. Starches and carbohydrates come from fruits, vegetables, and some tubers. In that same nature, you can select your dairy. American cheese is highly processed, while cheddar is minimally. Greek yogurt > regular yogurt, etc. Same with meats, vegetables, on and on.

br

10. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I really hate the term paleo, especially now that it is also highly associated with crossfit.

br
    I thank you sir for you continually dropping knowledge! I wish i had more time to frequent the board and read/study your posts.
    PREMIUM NUTRACEUTICALS (PNI) REP/ATHLETE
    BROSER BUILT REP/ATHLETE
    LET ME HELP YOU BY SETTING UP A DIET/TRAINING PROGRAM TO REACH YOUR GOALS! INBOX ME

11. I eat food with as few ingredients a possible
  12. Re: The Truth About Wheat...

Just in case you guys haven't seen it Jason (ZirRed) new in depth article on gluten.

http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/02/08/e...d-your-health/

- Valdez
    The Physique Biochemist
    Biochemistry Major
    Your Physique AND Credentials Should Back Up Your Position

13. Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    Just in case you guys haven't seen it Jason (ZirRed) new in depth article on gluten.

http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/02/08/e...d-your-health/

- Valdez
    It is actually a very good article with solid research to back it up; def worth a read.

14. Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    Looking for an open discussion on wheat. Seems like a topic often debated and was just seeking opinions. I eat a ton of wheat with breads, pastas, cereals, ect
    Ate wheat for a long time(30+ years) I started to develop stomach problems later in life. I was geting sick more often blood sugar all over the place.
    Without wheat, and basically no grains, no stomach problems anymore and I have not been sick since, no cold, no virus no anything for a good 4 years now and im positive i was exposed to them numerous times at work. My body works like a swiss watch now.
    and that;s my story

15. I agree with many of the posts here related to wheat (in general) as I have experienced the "bads" discussed here.

However, I will add that Ezekial Bread anbd Trader Joes Sprouted Grains bread do NOT affect me the same at all.

Why is this?

Let's face it, at the end of the day, there is only a slight difference between traditional wheat and spouted forms of wheat.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7

16. Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    I agree with many of the posts here related to wheat (in general) as I have experienced the "bads" discussed here.

However, I will add that Ezekial Bread anbd Trader Joes Sprouted Grains bread do NOT affect me the same at all.

Why is this?

Let's face it, at the end of the day, there is only a slight difference between traditional wheat and spouted forms of wheat.
    Wheat today is significantly genetically modified when compared to wheat from before the agricultural revolution

17. Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    Ate wheat for a long time(30+ years) I started to develop stomach problems later in life. I was geting sick more often blood sugar all over the place.
    Without wheat, and basically no grains, no stomach problems anymore and I have not been sick since, no cold, no virus no anything for a good 4 years now and im positive i was exposed to them numerous times at work. My body works like a swiss watch now.
    and that;s my story
    Your story is becoming extremely common and helps to further the base of anecdotal support for ditching gluten.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

18. So are you saying Trader Joes Bread and Ezekial Bread were made before the agricultual revolution?

Me thinks it'd be stale by now

Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Wheat today is significantly genetically modified when compared to wheat from before the agricultural revolution
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7

19. More info on sprouted wheat... I eat it on a regular basis. I buy wheat grains in order to sprout them at home. Sprouted wheat tastes pretty well.

Vitamin E is stored in the muscles, and, unfortunately, it is rapidly degraded and excreted. Thus, in order to provide the body with this vitamin, you must at all times maintain a balanced diet.

Lack of this vitamin leads to infertility and miscarriages. If children are born, they are backward and have poor immunity.

For those who are interested, I will say that this vitamin in large amounts is found in celery and sprouted wheat.

20. Quote Originally Posted by mbq View Post
    More info on sprouted wheat... I eat it on a regular basis. I buy wheat grains in order to sprout them at home. Sprouted wheat tastes pretty well.

Vitamin E is stored in the muscles, and, unfortunately, it is rapidly degraded and excreted. Thus, in order to provide the body with this vitamin, you must at all times maintain a balanced diet.

Lack of this vitamin leads to infertility and miscarriages. If children are born, they are backward and have poor immunity.

For those who are interested, I will say that this vitamin in large amounts is found in celery and sprouted wheat.
    Yes on infertility with deficiency.

It is not predominantly stored in the muscles, and being a fat soluble vitamin that is regularly taken up in the plasma membranes, it is not rapidly degraded and excreted.

http://www.fasebj.org/content/13/10/1145.long

Other good sources of vitamin E are nuts/seeds and greens.

Br
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The truth about Fedor
    By CNorris in forum MMA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM
  2. The truth about Havoc?
    By grantr in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM
  3. Replies: 24