best way to build muscle off of what food?

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
My weight is 185 looking for the right foods and when to eat them with the supplements I'm taking??

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
I am taking a fish oil pill too along with a multivitamin, when's the best time to take them?

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Take fish oil whenevs I prefer multi bitamins before bed but I don't think there's a big difference. Take them with food as certain vitamins are absorbed better with fats

Get plenty of meat. Chicken and turkey and fish are my top choices and of course red meat for its creatine value an calories.
Peanut butter is a staple for me as we'll as oats and bananas.
Sweet potatoes and brown rice. Basic staples of any good muscle feeding diet.

Best advice I ever got was, " you wanna weigh 200 lbs you gotta eat like you're 200 lbs"

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
Thanks man, I'm taking 1mr as my ore workout now along with the creatine189 2 pills before I work out, anything else I could take with this set up for my recovery?

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Don't worry too much about supplementation it's a small part of the over all goal.
How many calories are you eating a day and how much protein?

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
About 80 grams a day I don't do more then 30 grams on one setting, I eat about 2500 cal a day

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
You want at least one gram per lb of body weight and you'll def want to up calories. Don't quote me but a rough bulking estimate is 20 cals per lb bodyweight

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
Yeah I don't need to gain any more weight just getting toned up

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Take fish oil whenevs I prefer multi bitamins before bed but I don't think there's a big difference. Take them with food as certain vitamins are absorbed better with fats

Get plenty of meat. Chicken and turkey and fish are my top choices and of course red meat for its creatine value an calories.
Peanut butter is a staple for me as we'll as oats and bananas.
Sweet potatoes and brown rice. Basic staples of any good muscle feeding diet.

Best advice I ever got was, " you wanna weigh 200 lbs you gotta eat like you're 200 lbs"
On point.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I don't need to gain any more weight just getting toned up
Huge myth that no more than 30-40g of protein can be digested in one sitting. Just FYI. and why only 80g? You need at least 105 more than this.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Huge myth that no more than 30-40g of protein can be digested in one sitting. Just FYI. and why only 80g? You need at least 105 more than this.
Doesn' that depend on the person? Sometimes I have up to around 70g of protein a meal and still see strength gains. Granted that's strength gains not size.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Doesn' that depend on the person? Sometimes I have up to around 70g of protein a meal and still see strength gains. Granted that's strength gains not size.
1g per lb of bodyweight. This number wsnt just pulled out of nowhere, there is research done to suggest that this amount is optimal for adequete functions of protein within the body. Remeber it does more than repair muscle tissue.

The research I believe actually says 1.6-1.8g per KG of bodyweight.

Thats nowhere near enoguh protein for someone your size. Protein doesnt make you stronger, so perhaps you can still gain strength on a deficit, but your probably forcing your body to used muscle protein or other protein within the body for hormone transport

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
1g per lb of bodyweight. This number wsnt just pulled out of nowhere, there is research done to suggest that this amount is optimal for adequete functions of protein within the body. Remeber it does more than repair muscle tissue.

The research I believe actually says 1.6-1.8g per KG of bodyweight.

Thats nowhere near enoguh protein for someone your size. Protein doesnt make you stronger, so perhaps you can still gain strength on a deficit, but your probably forcing your body to used muscle protein or other protein within the body for hormone transport
Whoa I'm not the OP lol. I get way more than 70 or 80 grams a day I can assure you lol. I myself get about 215-220 grams a day. I was just saying sometimes I get upwards to 70g per meal.

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
How do u know this us a myth?? I seen a nurotritonst and told me... So who do u be leave nowadays... I feel like if I ate 100 grams a day id put on to much weight. I'm bit trying to gain anymore weight, I'm at 185lbs

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
How do u know this us a myth?? I seen a nurotritonst and told me... So who do u be leave nowadays... I feel like if I ate 100 grams a day id put on to much weight. I'm bit trying to gain anymore weight, I'm at 185lbs
You won't. Proten won't make you fat, hell fat won't make you fat. Too many calories and carbs will. I didn't really start seeing strength gains until I made sure I was getting atleast 215 grams of protein a day.

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
Yeah but u need carbs too whole wheat, oatmeal, veggies...

vassille

Awards
If you dont know how many g of protein to eat start with the minimum like 75g and go through an workout. Pay attention to recovery and if it's lagging then up it to 100 and keep doing this till you hit the recovery target of about 2 days. I try to not eat anymore protein than need it. In many cases from trial and error and depending what else I eat with the protein it's usually 1.2g of protein per lb of body weight. So I weight around 250 I eat about 300g to fully recover and grow. But not everyone needs this percentage so start low and increase as need it.

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
There's a low calorie protein I'm buying soon 106 cal per serving, 86% protein, when's the best time to take all this protein? I take 1mr 20 min before my workouts, and a protein after unless I'm eating a big meal then ill cut out my shake, but every morning ill drink one with some fruit and carbs

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
What do u mean pay Att to my recovery?? And lagging??

vassille

Awards
Eat protein every 3 hours or so and immediately after the workout and you GTG

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
Christ I work construction, I don't have time to make all these pack filled protein meals or shakes

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
So if ur telling me to eat 200 grams of protein a day how much protein are u going threw in a week? $$$$ what brand

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
So if ur telling me to eat 200 grams of protein a day how much protein are u going threw in a week? $$$$ what brand
Do you ever have an off day? Cook all your meals then and put them in tupperware. I usually cook about two days worth of food. Shouldn't take too long too cook a lot of food if you cook in bulk

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Do you ever have an off day? Cook all your meals then and put them in tupperware. I usually cook about two days worth of food. Shouldn't take too long too cook a lot of food if you cook in bulk
Second that, plus you might want to buy a foreman grill, it makes cooking a lot easier and you can cook like 8 burgers on one at a time if you get a big model. Hell I even eat reheated eggs...they taste like **** but it's not too bad lol.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Whoa I'm not the OP lol. I get way more than 70 or 80 grams a day I can assure you lol. I myself get about 215-220 grams a day. I was just saying sometimes I get upwards to 70g per meal.
S**t, totally misread you rpost lol. I read 70g per day haha. My apologies

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
What qualifications does your nutritionalist have? / when did he or she graduate? Because it is a myth, and I dont get how 100g of protein will make you fat, that doesnt even make sense lol.
Ha. So true.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I heard a client of mine tell me her RD friend said women only need 60g protein a day to build muscle. I said her friend needs her license revoked. Take that for what it's worth.

vassille

Awards
What do u mean pay Att to my recovery?? And lagging??
When you workout a body part it should take in average 72 hours to recover after exercising. Sometimes when protein intake is low that recovery takes longer. If that happenes increase protein intake a little more (another meal of 30g of protein) and see what happenes. By doing this adjustments you will find the point where you eat enough protein to sustain the recovery need it.
By lagging what I meant if the recovery is longer than 72 hours.

vassille

Awards
Great advice all around on here about preparing the food!
I've been preperaing my food in bulk one or two days a week for over 10 years. It works, actually is the only way to make strides in the gym besides having your own cook or have a lot of money to get the stuff made by someone else to your specifications.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Christ I work construction, I don't have time to make all these pack filled protein meals or shakes
It doesnt have to be uber hardcore from the beginning. You can invest in some baggies and fill it with some protein, peanut butter, and get some milk if you can keep it at work if not water works fine then just use a blender bottle to mix it up. takes literally 2 seconds.

other than that if you want your body to look great youll have to put in great effort obviously. now that being said not everyone wants to look like the hulk. so if youre looking to just get the diet down easiest way is to start with simple substitutions and gradually work into a better diet.

cut down on alcohol smoking etc. , choose subway over taco bell, water over juice, salt free items over salt, whole wheat pretzels over chips (although pringles makes a 0 fat chip which i do love) , etc.
I used to smoke everyday almost, and binge drink like it was my job, i slowly but surely worked my way into bodybuilding and I honestly dont even like drinking any more and my diet has seen a complete turn around. these things take time so dont feel like you have to rush it.

-CC

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
Ok so do I need certain protein before I go to bed at nite? Cassin when's the best time to take protein?

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
How much protein carbs, fruit veggies do I need on a days intake? 185lb guy, happy with the weight I'm at

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
About 1g/lbs body weight. So keep it around 170-190. Going on what crispy said before: eat the protein you want to weigh. If you wanna be 250lbs, eat 250g protein.

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
Lol ill gave to keep track of protein intake now, protein every 3 hrs??

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
It doesnt have to be uber hardcore from the beginning. You can invest in some baggies and fill it with some protein, peanut butter, and get some milk if you can keep it at work if not water works fine then just use a blender bottle to mix it up. takes literally 2 seconds.

other than that if you want your body to look great youll have to put in great effort obviously. now that being said not everyone wants to look like the hulk. so if youre looking to just get the diet down easiest way is to start with simple substitutions and gradually work into a better diet.

cut down on alcohol smoking etc. , choose subway over taco bell, water over juice, salt free items over salt, whole wheat pretzels over chips (although pringles makes a 0 fat chip which i do love) , etc.
I used to smoke everyday almost, and binge drink like it was my job, i slowly but surely worked my way into bodybuilding and I honestly dont even like drinking any more and my diet has seen a complete turn around. these things take time so dont feel like you have to rush it.

-CC
Fook the peanut butter sandwiches. Go get yourself a foreman grill and grill like 10 turkey burgers at once, bring about 2 of em bi tches to work to eat at lunch if they have a mirowave you can heat them up in.

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
How many calories, should I intake? I don't want to gain anymore weight, and how many carbs?

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Eat around your BMR on non workout days (plenty of calculators online) and add calories on lift/cardio days. Depending on how hard you go 200-500 should do it

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
you need to fire your nutritionist 1g of protein per LB of bodyweight, fit the rest of your macros to fit your caloric requirements a good rule of thumb is 3 parts carbs 2 parts protein and 1 part fat make adjustments based on results

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
its not hard at all to get in 200g of protein a day eat some chicken no one said to get all of your protein from shakes thats just way to costly eat some food

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
its not hard at all to get in 200g of protein a day eat some chicken no one said to get all of your protein from shakes thats just way to costly eat some food
Exactly. For me 2, 2 lb protein containers from walmart last me about one month for about $30. I have one shake a day(2 scoops), post workout on my workout days and on my rest days anytime of the day I feel like it.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
chicken, rice, oatmeal, hamburger, and chili beans. and some dairy too ;) dont forget your fruits and veggies

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All food. Type is irrelevant, just eat tons of every type everyday.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
The best way to build muscle is to eat right and workout consistently. You should eat a variety of different types of foods and make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. Brown rice is a great complex carb to eat also quinoa is a great food for those that are looking to eat clean. You can cook it many different types of ways also. When it comes to protein make sure you are eating chicken and fish. If you are looking for extra cals add whole wheat pasta or bread to your meals. I think you should also be drinking a mass building protein shake. Muscle Gauge Nutrition makes a great product. Be sure to check it out on their website.

Last edited: